Mystery couple murdered in South Carolina, 1976 - #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
View attachment 121622

Fom last year.Its a comment on the Ill Never Forget You facebook group about the case

It's Never Forget Me FB page. The URL is We Wont Forget Them because everything else was taken

Read a post on facebook where a poster claims to be the daughter of the person who waited on them at the fruit stand. She says her mother claims they road up on a motorcycle. Have never heard that detail...interesting if true.. Poster's profile is from Sumter.

It was talked about in this thread right after the person posted.

I think it was considered rumor and removed for that reason. And yeah, probably on other sites.

Are you saying we removed the quote? If so it didn't happen. I'm pretty sure I put it in the thread when the person said it to us. I had caught what the person said

post 862 05-20-2016
Does anyone recall hearing that they were on a motorcycle when they stopped at the fruit stand where Jane ran in to get peaches?

Here is the comment
My mom was the one that waited on her at the fruit stand and they were riding a motorcycle. She came in and peaches, he stayed outside on mtc. So sad! May 17, 2016 at 6:15pm

It's Never Forget Me FB page. The URL is We Wont Forget Them because everything else was taken

Are you saying we removed the quote? If so it didn't happen. I'm pretty sure I put it in the thread when the person said it to us. I had caught what the person said

post 862 05-20-2016

Here is the comment
My mom was the one that waited on her at the fruit stand and they were riding a motorcycle. She came in and peaches, he stayed outside on mtc. So sad! May 17, 2016 at 6:15pm

Why did "mum" waited such a long time with this.....and she had to have more information if this is true....she was waiting on her the post says....seems to me there was more going on than total strangers

post 862 05-20-2016

Here is the comment
Roselvr, no, not your site. A few years back somebody mentioned (in this forum) the rumor that they'd been seen on a motorcycle, but I can't find it now and I thought it might have been deleted. It didn't quote the mother, just "a witness" if I recall.

But more likely it's my bad memory [emoji14]

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

Roselvr, no, not your site. A few years back somebody mentioned (in this forum) the rumor that they'd been seen on a motorcycle, but I can't find it now and I thought it might have been deleted. It didn't quote the mother, just "a witness" if I recall.

But more likely it's my bad memory [emoji14]

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

There are a lot of threads here, hard to find anything.

Why did "mum" waited such a long time with this.....and she had to have more information if this is true....she was waiting on her the post says....seems to me there was more going on than total strangers

If she told the cops she really didn't need to tell anyone else. I'm glad the daughter said something

They tried to eat healthily on the road (or at least liked peaches), and they didn't feel need to shave their legs... Hmm...

I did ask the gal that posted if her mother heard an accent but she never answered me. I can't tag or message her

They tried to eat healthily on the road (or at least liked peaches), and they didn't feel need to shave their legs... Hmm...

The peaches were probably at the peak of the season.

If they didn't originate in the US, not shaving arm pits and legs was probably typical of where they came from

So, there is no evidence to suggest if they had a motorcycle for 100%, correct?

If they had a car, the killer(s) stole their car... Sumter county, SC... Anyone local riding an unfamiliar vehicle in 1976 would be suspicious...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You are right...but we know the "story" about the kind of weird follow up on this case.

I still don't think it was a robbery... I think they were executed for personal reasons that are unknown 40 years later... Someone wanted both of them dead, I believe they tracked them down, confronted them, subdued, removed their IDs/wallets. I think someone out there knows who our couple is. People who know them may have been threatened to keep their mouths shut and never claim their bodies.
I think it was a personal vendetta. They may have known something about someone or did something to someone that was seen as s betrayal or breach of loyalty, or something along those lines...

I'm referring to this.....

About four months after the murders, police in theDarlington County town of Latta arrested Lonnie George Henry for drunk driving.Under the seat of his car they found a .38-caliber Smith & Wesson with theserial number filed off.
Police sent the gun to the South Carolina Law Enforcement Division'sforensic lab for tests and later concluded that Henry's revolver had killed themystery couple. Bullets taken from the bodies matched with the weapon.
When officers asked Henry point blank if he was the killer, his polygraphsaid he was telling the truth. No, he hadn't pulled the trigger. But severalother lie detector tests implied he was lying about something, at least, maybecovering up for somebody. Investigators wondered if someone had stolen his gunand whether a relative or friend of Henry's had killed the couple in Sumter.
But case files say Henry did lie about how he'd obtained the gun, firsttelling officers that he'd bought it from a truck driver. Days after thepurchase, Henry told investigators, he discovered the serial number had beenfiled off. By then, it was too late to return the item for a refund.
SLED recovered the serial number and investigators tracked the gun from itsmanufacturer to Henry's brother, who said he gave it to Henry as a Christmaspresent four or five years earlier.
The gun had been bought, stolen and resold several times before falling intothe hands of Henry's brother. But he said the serial number was still there onChristmas Eve.
When confronted with the new information, Henry confessed to filing theserial numbers off himself.
It remains unclear why Henry lied if he was innocent. And it also remainsunclear if he really was. Case files say Henry was a recovering alcoholic andhad also gotten in trouble with the law for a slew of minor offenses.
At the time, his son had recently drowned in the Pee Dee River. He'd alsoaccidentally killed one of his co-workers, by backing a dump truck over him.
Investigative psychologists even wondered if he'd killed the Sumter coupleand simply couldn't remember doing it.

In December of 1976, a truck driver named GeorgeLonnie Henry from Wadesboro, NC was stopped in SC for driving under theinfluence. He had in his possession a stolen gun with a scratched-off serialnumber that was ultimately determined through ballistics to be the murderweapon. Subsequent interviews andpolygraphs yielded mixed results as to whether or not he was the oneresponsible for their murders. According to George Henry's statement he was afew hours away at the bed-side of his ailing wife at a NC hospital. The chainof custody of the gun remains a mystery as well. George Henry claims that hisbrother, Jim Henry had given it to him as a gift. Since several months hadelapsed since the murders, it is difficult to verify George Henry's alibi or toverify who actually had possession of the gun at the time of the murders. Thegun was originally stolen by a group of thieves in the Raleigh-Durham area,before the Henry's came into possession of the gun. Could it be possible that another person orpersons had possession of the gun at the time of the murders and that GeorgeHenry had no involvement?

Reading a lot about this case and the investigation, theories etc.
What happened to the follow up....?

I'm referring to this.....

About four months after the murders, police in theDarlington County town of Latta arrested Lonnie George Henry for drunk driving.Under the seat of his car they found a .38-caliber Smith & Wesson with theserial number filed off.
Police sent the gun to the South Carolina Law Enforcement Division'sforensic lab for tests and later concluded that Henry's revolver had killed themystery couple. Bullets taken from the bodies matched with the weapon.
When officers asked Henry point blank if he was the killer, his polygraphsaid he was telling the truth. No, he hadn't pulled the trigger. But severalother lie detector tests implied he was lying about something, at least, maybecovering up for somebody. Investigators wondered if someone had stolen his gunand whether a relative or friend of Henry's had killed the couple in Sumter.
But case files say Henry did lie about how he'd obtained the gun, firsttelling officers that he'd bought it from a truck driver. Days after thepurchase, Henry told investigators, he discovered the serial number had beenfiled off. By then, it was too late to return the item for a refund.
SLED recovered the serial number and investigators tracked the gun from itsmanufacturer to Henry's brother, who said he gave it to Henry as a Christmaspresent four or five years earlier.
The gun had been bought, stolen and resold several times before falling intothe hands of Henry's brother. But he said the serial number was still there onChristmas Eve.
When confronted with the new information, Henry confessed to filing theserial numbers off himself.
It remains unclear why Henry lied if he was innocent. And it also remainsunclear if he really was. Case files say Henry was a recovering alcoholic andhad also gotten in trouble with the law for a slew of minor offenses.
At the time, his son had recently drowned in the Pee Dee River. He'd alsoaccidentally killed one of his co-workers, by backing a dump truck over him.
Investigative psychologists even wondered if he'd killed the Sumter coupleand simply couldn't remember doing it.

In December of 1976, a truck driver named GeorgeLonnie Henry from Wadesboro, NC was stopped in SC for driving under theinfluence. He had in his possession a stolen gun with a scratched-off serialnumber that was ultimately determined through ballistics to be the murderweapon. Subsequent interviews andpolygraphs yielded mixed results as to whether or not he was the oneresponsible for their murders. According to George Henry's statement he was afew hours away at the bed-side of his ailing wife at a NC hospital. The chainof custody of the gun remains a mystery as well. George Henry claims that hisbrother, Jim Henry had given it to him as a gift. Since several months hadelapsed since the murders, it is difficult to verify George Henry's alibi or toverify who actually had possession of the gun at the time of the murders. Thegun was originally stolen by a group of thieves in the Raleigh-Durham area,before the Henry's came into possession of the gun. Could it be possible that another person orpersons had possession of the gun at the time of the murders and that GeorgeHenry had no involvement?

Reading a lot about this case and the investigation, theories etc.
What happened to the follow up....?

Yes, yes, I know about the mysterious disappearance of the gun... That only reinforces my belief that this was more than just a robbery.

Yes, yes, I know about the mysterious disappearance of the gun... That only reinforces my belief that this was more than just a robbery.

I think Lonnie Henry should have served time in prison until he told what he knew. I also think he knew how to work the results of a lie detector test

I still don't think it was a robbery... I think they were executed for personal reasons that are unknown 40 years later... Someone wanted both of them dead, I believe they tracked them down, confronted them, subdued, removed their IDs/wallets. I think someone out there knows who our couple is. People who know them may have been threatened to keep their mouths shut and never claim their bodies.
I think it was a personal vendetta. They may have known something about someone or did something to someone that was seen as s betrayal or breach of loyalty, or something along those lines...

I think that the right people haven't seen them yet. I think his shirt is a clue. Matches too. Wish they'd do isotopes and pollen.

Roselvr, make Henry serve time on what charge? Possession of a weapon?

It is possible that the right people have not seen them yet. This is especially true if they are foreigners. I do believe they traveled together. If someone reported them missing together, that fact could be potentially helpful. If they are from the US (which I highly doubt), it is extremely unusual that they have not been unidentified. If they are from elsewhere, there might still be people out there who loved them and who remain wondering what happened to our couple.

Also, it doesn't seem like the killer went to any lengths to disfigure their bodies or make them unrecognizeable. They were each shot three times, and none of the bullets hit their heads or disfigured their faces. The killer could have wanted their loved ones to know that they are dead as some sort a proof or demonstration of their power. Knowing that the couple is dead and the threat of their enemy is very real, their families could have been easily silenced if they had other children and relatives. I don't know. This is just a speculation on my part and some impressions that I have had.

If the killer didn't truly want them identified, they could disfigure their faces, burn their bodies, etc. They even had their clothes on and their very distinct pieces of jewelry were left behind. Why leave them dead on the side of a highway in a full view to be found just hours after their death? The killer made absolutely no effort to hide their bodies.

Could it be that the after murdering the couple, the killer took pictures of them to share with their families? If they were from a foreign country, the family could be aware that they are dead but no idea where they were killed. The pictures could have been shared with them as a sign of some sort of revenge or a pay-off for a wrongdoing, debt, etc.

Brainy...good theory. I often thought..wounds to chest,back,and neck..execution. So why not the head? Maybe so faces would be clearly identifiable in a picture. Could have been photographed aft killing and pics sent out...people were fearful to come forward.
Think this was planned...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member