WI WI - Laurie Depies, 20, Menasha, 19 Aug 1992

"Never-ending heartbreak"

http://www.postcrescent.com/story/news/2014/04/29/never-ending-heartbreak/8451803/

"Your feelings change over time," she said. "With everybody putting in all that effort and nothing turning up, you could say they did the best they could. It was a gradual diminishing of contact with people in those situations. It wasn't a shock to the system to have the search stop."

There have been times when the case appeared to be close to being resolved. In the fall of 2011, for example, Wegner was informed by investigators that Larry DeWayne Hall had confessed to kidnapping and killing her daughter and burying her in a remote area in south-central Wisconsin.

"Laurie Depies: 23 years gone"

http://www.postcrescent.com/story/news/local/2015/08/21/laurie-depies-years-gone/32111947/

"23 years now.”

That was the subject of a post Wednesday on the Facebook page of the Town of Menasha Police Department.

Beneath those words was a smiling picture of Laurie Depies, who literally dropped off the face of the earth on Aug. 19, 1992, and hasn’t been heard from since.

B9318533544Z.1_20150821111944_000_G43BMJJO9.1-0.jpg

From June:

Prime suspect in Depies case still uncharged

http://www.postcrescent.com/story/news/2016/06/13/prime-suspect-depies-case-still-uncharged/85597208/

More than five years have passed since Larry DeWayne Hall dropped a bombshell by confessing to kidnapping and killing Laurie J. Depies.

But charges have yet to be filed against the former Wabash, Indiana, man who is serving a life sentence in a North Carolina federal prison for the 1993 kidnapping of a 14-year-old Illinois girl.

The lack of physical evidence to support Hall’s confession is a major hurdle for authorities investigating the 1992 disappearance of the then-20-year-old Depies.

Depies’ body has not been found, and while her car and a cup she was drinking from shortly before disappearing were recovered by police, there is not a wealth of other physical evidence.

“I don’t know if there will be closure,” said Jason Weber, community liaison with the Fox Crossing/Town of Menasha Police Department. “Absent any corroborating evidence, I don’t know.”

Mary Wegner, Depies’ mother, said she was informed by a special agent last fall that there was “nothing new to report on Laurie's case.”

“(The agent) said she continues to follow a lead or so as they come in,” Wegner said.

25 years missing: What happened to Laurie Depies?

http://www.postcrescent.com/story/news/2017/08/17/what-happened-laurie-depies-who-vanished-1992/551743001/

Her parents are painfully aware of the 25th anniversary but aren’t planning an observance. They will be grieving her loss, as they have since 1992.

“It’s pretty much been a blur,” Mark Depies said.

“It almost seems like an impossibility that something can go on that long (without being solved). I told a friend that I may die without getting an answer. That’s a very good possibility.

"I’ve accepted that she’s dead. But the fact remains, what happened?”

Her boyfriend — and two friends with him that night — heard the noisy muffler on Depies’ car, but she never made it to the apartment. Police were called later that night, and her parents were informed the next day.

The only solid physical evidence is her car and a drink container found on the roof of the car. Examinations of the car and the cup didn’t lead to a breakthrough on her whereabouts.

“There’s nothing to go on,” said Jason Weber, community liaison officer with the Fox Crossing Police Department. “It’s almost like she vanished into thin air. All we have is that people were waiting for her, and she didn’t show up.”

Depies.jpg

From one of the above articles...

“Authorities tried several years ago to bring Hall from a federal prison in Butner, North Carolina, to Wisconsin to show officers where he disposed of Depies’ remains, but the trip didn’t materialize because it involved a complex set of travel approvals and clearances at the federal, state and local levels.”

We can do better than this!

I read the story on the Dr Phil website. I wonder who the friend was that constantly asked her out and who was acting bizzarely after she went missing
I hope with Laurie's story being on the Dr Phil show that maybe it will make someone come forward, maybe even about this "friend" they are talking about. I felt really bad for her boyfriend. He has never been able to get past her disappearance. I hope the help the show offered him really helps him.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeymourMann
Back