NC NC - Beverly Jaye Potter Mintz, 23, Raped/throat slit in front of her 2yo, Leland, 23 Feb 1987

Wondering about the workers at Beverly's neighbour's house...

Waterbeds have a sexual connotation for some people, imo, maybe most particularly for people who already are ''bent''.

For a perp to not only rape a young woman in her home with a small child present, but to slit her throat, he must already be a rumbling mix of desire and hate looking for an excuse to go off on someone.

A guy like that could get all excited and angry at the same time thinking about the (in his mind, dirty/kinky) female with a waterbed for sale.
All speculation, imo.

I agree on the hate side of it. Everything was done to punish her, an act of revenge. However, I think what must have triggered him was because she was "dating" someone and he felt betrayed as in his twisted logic she already "belonged" to him. Hence this creature had plenty of time to build up his fantasies about her but after learning she was "betraying" him also plan the murder of that poor mother. So, it wasn't someone just staying for some weeks in the area, but a local and a "vengeful" one.

Wondering about the workers at Beverly's neighbour's house...

Waterbeds have a sexual connotation for some people, imo, maybe most particularly for people who already are ''bent''.

For a perp to not only rape a young woman in her home with a small child present, but to slit her throat, he must already be a rumbling mix of desire and hate looking for an excuse to go off on someone.

A guy like that could get all excited and angry at the same time thinking about the (in his mind, dirty/kinky) female with a waterbed for sale.
All speculation, imo.

I agree on the hate side of it. Everything was done to punish her, an act of revenge. However, I think what must have triggered him was because she was "dating" someone else, and he felt betrayed as in his twisted logic she already "belonged" to him. Hence this creature had plenty of time to build up his fantasies about her, but after learning she was "betraying" him he started taking the steps to murder that poor mother. So, he wasn't someone just staying for some weeks in the area, but a local and a "vengeful" one.

Last edited:
The possibility of the perp being a transient to the area would conflict with how comfortable this person moved around the neighborhood. Some think this suspect was a common sight around there to have gone unnoticed while entering or leaving. I wonder about a vehicle also.

The possibility of the perp being a transient to the area would conflict with how comfortable this person moved around the neighborhood. Some think this suspect was a common sight around there to have gone unnoticed while entering or leaving. I wonder about a vehicle also.

Agree. next to that little house (in those days) there was a path leading to the main road (Village rd NE) and another to Dresser ln. He could have entered/left by either path. If this is so then tires marks could have been noted and this must be in the police files. Shady Grove area is another place where one could come/go on foot unnoticed (lots of trees). Problem is we have no other info on this to work with. I wish I was able just to read the report on the clues found.

Agree. next to that little house (in those days) there was a path leading to the main road (Village rd NE) and another to Dresser ln. He could have entered/left by either path. If this is so then tires marks could have been noted and this must be in the police files. Shady Grove area is another place where one could come/go on foot unnoticed (lots of trees). Problem is we have no other info on this to work with. I wish I was able just to read the report on the clues found.

To my surprise, a lot of info has been released on this vs others that I follow but I agree, I’d like to see more of what’s been done.
I’m a bit puzzled on how they are so sure that the newspaper clip was brought/left by the suspect. Couldn’t Jaye have gotten that to proof her ad?

The vehicle theory is good. It would have made easier for him to come , commit the murder and flee, not being noted by people around.

This may come from watching too many Forensics Files episodes but I am concerned about the quality of the DNA that they may have. At the same time, after seeing so many cases cracked from old samples, I’m very optimistic that we are just waiting on the day.

I’m really surprised that no one has linked this case to the Eastburn murders case in Fayetteville, NC. Both women put an ad in the classified ad, and received strange anonymous phone calls before their death. They both had a husband stationed in the military away at the time, and although Beverly’s husband was stationed in Germany, Kathryn Eastburn and her family were preparing to be relocated to Germany.

Both women each had a 2 year old at the time who was at home when the murder occurred and left alive. Beverly and Kathryn were also reportedly raped and stabbed to death. I suppose since Kathryn died in 1985, and the alleged killer, Timothy Hennis was on trial for her murder and her 2 daughters in 1986, there wasn’t much follow up between the two cases. Unpopular opinion, but I don’t believe Timothy Hennis murdered anyone and there was some untested DNA evidence left at the crime scene that reportedly didn’t match Hennis. Perphaps this could lead to more evidence for the two cases.

I’m really surprised that no one has linked this case to the Eastburn murders case in Fayetteville, NC. Both women put an ad in the classified ad, and received strange anonymous phone calls before their death. They both had a husband stationed in the military away at the time, and although Beverly’s husband was stationed in Germany, Kathryn Eastburn and her family were preparing to be relocated to Germany.

Both women each had a 2 year old at the time who was at home when the murder occurred and left alive. Beverly and Kathryn were also reportedly raped and stabbed to death. I suppose since Kathryn died in 1985, and the alleged killer, Timothy Hennis was on trial for her murder and her 2 daughters in 1986, there wasn’t much follow up between the two cases. Unpopular opinion, but I don’t believe Timothy Hennis murdered anyone and there was some untested DNA evidence left at the crime scene that reportedly didn’t match Hennis. Perphaps this could lead to more evidence for the two cases.
Welcome to Ws. @ ImALawyer, thanks for the intriguing and plausible suggestion!
Survivor of Triple Murder Grapples With Guilt: 'Why Didn't He Kill Me?'

Ws thread..
GUILTY - NC - Tim Hennis on trial in the '85 Eastburn murders, Fort Bragg

''Defense attorneys attempt to reverse Timothy Hennis' supposed wrongful prosecution on three charges of murder and his sentence to death.''

Last edited:
To my surprise, a lot of info has been released on this vs others that I follow but I agree, I’d like to see more of what’s been done.
I’m a bit puzzled on how they are so sure that the newspaper clip was brought/left by the suspect. Couldn’t Jaye have gotten that to proof her ad?
I agree, there is no follow up information as to what's being done or what's stage they are at, when will they release DNA generated picture?

Because of his DNA found on Mrs hennis and also the eye witness that was supported the evidence. There was a sketchreleased described by the witness

A professional or at least someone with experience. He had already done similar murders in the past or knew what to do from another similar activity. The knot used is a lead. This criminal possibly got a coverall at hand.

DNA is taking so long you may wonder what is going on.
I agree, he has definitely done it before, he was cool and prepared. I also agree he might have some sort of alibi. Do you think this person even be alive? It has been such a long time

Hi There.

Obviously none of them was the criminal, but at least one of them knew him.

I wouldn't be surprised if the one who knew him also knew what he did and covered his steps with false alibi.
I don't know if they knew him or one of them who might have seen a car or a man;were just keeping quite, not to be involved?? Being paranoid or something I don't know, this is just a theory. There s no way they did not see nothing, one of them might have seen something, did not pay attention

Because of his DNA found on Mrs. Eastburn and also the eye witness that was supported the evidence. There was a sketchreleased described by the witness

I don't know if they knew him or one of them who might have seen a car or a man;were just keeping quite, not to be involved?? Being paranoid or something I don't know, this is just a theory. There s no way they did not see nothing, one of them might have seen something, did not pay attention
This is the thing, I don't understand, in the case of Eastburn murders, there was a witness clearly described the suspect that he was came to face to face at night time, whereas beverley jaye potter case no one saw nothing during the day! How bizarre

Yes I read all of them, not enough information though Apparently everyone has been interviewed, including those crew worked a cross street, how about interviewing them again

I hope something is in motion with this case. Certainly talking to the people who were close by at the time couldn’t hurt. I’m still hanging on to a DNA miracle dream.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chips1986
Back