4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered, Bryan Kohberger Arrested, Moscow, Nov 2022 #92

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder what the motive was for this crime. I really thought that would've been made public long ago. Random slaying just doesn't feel right.

Not random, the prosecution thinks BK was stalking the students. His phone pinged off the Mosciw cell tower a dozen times over 2 or 3 months. With one exception all of the pings happened late at night into the early morning. He even got a traffic ticket late at night in Moscow. He was on a main road most likely this is how he navigated to King Rd.

BK says he didn't do it so we probably won't learn the motive but maybe digital evidence will uncover social media connections - BK "stalking" from afar. It has been stated from People Magazine that BK messaged a victim, I think Instagram. She didn't respond.

Sometimes the 'motive' is as simple as someone wanting to kill others for the experience of it. JMO

Yup. And it is common with murder for a guy to kill his X partner when she leaves him.

"If I can't have her no one can." Maybe he was jealous of the guys who were close to them. If there were "happy couple" photos that could be a "trigger."

Long history of issues with women.

2 Cents

@Megnut, we have not heard much from BK's family. Ted Bundy's family has several stories about him as a child, fixated on knives, doing some strange things. I wonder if someone will write a book about BK, and we will learn more about his childhood.
But it certainly didn't take long for some of BK's family to suspect him.

Apparently Dr Edelman, who did the survey, will be testifying at the upcoming hearing (which is tomorrow I think?).
The defense claims that all of Dr Edelman's questions were lifted from local news reports, which they argue means there's no violation of the NDO. But what will he say under oath? The prosecution has so far declined to cross any of the defense's previous witnesses. Will they ask questions this time? This will be interesting...I'm really looking forward to this one!

Last edited:

Bryan Kohberger Prosecutors Release Taped Phone Call​

Survey Questions
  1. Have you read, seen or heard if Bryan Kohberger was arrested at his parent's home in Pennsylvania?
  2. Have you read, seen or heard if police found a knife sheath on the bed next to one of the victims.?
  3. Have you read, seen or heard that DNA found on the knife sheath was later matched to Bryan Kohberger?
  4. Have you read, seen or heard if Bryan Kohberger owned the same type of car reported seen driving in the neighborhood where the killings occurred?
  5. Have you read, seen or heard if the cell phone tower data showed that Bryan Kohberger made several trips near the victims' home in the month before the killing?
  6. Have you read, seen or heard if the university students in Moscow and their parents lived in fear until Bryan Kohberger was arrested for the murders?
  7. Have you read, seen or heard If Bryan Kohberger said that he was out driving alone on the night of the murders?
  8. Have you read, seen or heard that Bryan Kohberger stalked one of the victims?
  9. Have you read, seen or heard that Byran Kohberger had followed one of the victims on social media?

Apparently Dr Edelman, who did the survey, will be testifying at the upcoming hearing (which is tomorrow I think?).
The defense claims that all of Dr Edelman's questions were lifted from local news reports, which they argue means there's no violation of the NDO. But what will he say under oath? The prosecution has so far declined to cross any of the defense's previous witnesses. Will they ask questions this time? This will be interesting...I'm really looking forward to this one!
You can easily see what he will say in the Edelman attachment here which is a sworn declaration - it starts on page 4:

https://s3.us-west-2.amazonaws.com/...rder_Prohibiting_Contact_with_Prospective.pdf

These are the standards with which Change of Venue Surveys are designed. These are widely used and accepted as scientifically valid and were used in the case of BK's Change of Venue Survey instrument:

This shows that the survey did not even meet minimal requirements.

There are several things listed that the defense needed to do in a survey but did not do.

Many of their questions revealed specific information about the case as opposed to finding out what the general public heard for themselves.

It was up to the general public to let the surveyor know they heard XYZ, not up to the surveyor to tell them what XYZ actually is.

2 Cents

There are several things listed that the defense needed to do in a survey but did not do.

Many of their questions revealed specific information about the case as opposed to finding out what the general public heard for themselves.

It was up to the general public to let the surveyor know they heard XYZ, not up to the surveyor to tell them what XYZ actually is.

2 Cents
Where did you see the entire survey to be able make this statement? Link, please?

2 Cents
If you are saying a survey should ask what respondents know, it sounds like that means open-ended questions should be asked. But those kinds of survey questions often yield answers that are quite difficult to make sense of and to code. (Handing the judge 400 separate sets of answers won't work so coding/classification is needed.) Plus the standards posted by @Balthazar say closed-ended questions are generally used when assessing awareness of a case. The standards also say the information provided in those questions should be information that has appeared in the media. So asking "what do you know about the case involving BK?" wouldn't appear to be the kind of questions the standards advise using.

If I've misunderstood, please post some examples of proper questions per the standards that assess what respondents know without telling the respondents anything about the case.
MOO

If you are saying a survey should ask what respondents know, it sounds like that means open-ended questions should be asked. But those kinds of survey questions often yield answers that are quite difficult to make sense of and to code. (Handing the judge 400 separate sets of answers won't work so coding/classification is needed.) Plus the standards posted by @Balthazar say closed-ended questions are generally used when assessing awareness of a case. The standards also say the information provided in those questions should be information that has appeared in the media. So asking "what do you know about the case involving BK?" wouldn't appear to be the kind of questions the standards advise using.

If I've misunderstood, please post some examples of proper questions per the standards that assess what respondents know without telling the respondents anything about the case.
MOO

It would take me a very long post to answer.

But to summarize: jury consultants can write closed-ended questions that contain no information about the case and do it all the time. And CoV motions usually depend on way less specific information than was in these questions. It's actually a huge departure from what I've seen in my years as a jury consultant/jury watcher.

You can actually find samples online through Google.

IMO.

It would take me a very long post to answer.

But to summarize: jury consultants can write closed-ended questions that contain no information about the case and do it all the time. And CoV motions usually depend on way less specific information than was in these questions. It's actually a huge departure from what I've seen in my years as a jury consultant/jury watcher.

You can actually find samples online through Google.

IMO.
It would be nice to see a few examples of acceptable questions for this case posted since multiple people posting have said the defense consultant's questions (those we've seen) aren't acceptable. I'm not asking for a dissertation on survey construction, just a few examples of change of venue survey questions for this case that would be acceptable. And I'd like to see some closed-ended questions intended to assess "awareness of the case" that contain little to no information about the case. About all I can imagine would be those like "Do you think BK committed the murders he's charged with committing?" Yes/No/Not Sure
MOO

MOO

What standards?

A random document off the internet?

Where does this document even come from and how does it even relate to this case?

Ask Thompson he talked about it in the hearing.

General criminal justice questions and then Kohberger questions. Only the Kohberger questions are problematic.
You wrote:
"This shows that the survey did not even meet minimal requirements."

The ONLY way you could know that would be if you saw the survey in its entirety. Link, please.

You wrote:
"This shows that the survey did not even meet minimal requirements."

The ONLY way you could know that would be if you saw the survey in its entirety. Link, please.

I looked up the writings you posted and they have nothing to do with the Kohberger case. The survey company did not use this as a guideline.

By their own admission they only used MSM articles.

2 Cents

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members