Abby & Libby - The Delphi Murders - Richard Allen Arrested - #180

Status
Not open for further replies.
Posting for those who may have not seen this and maybe interested:

Wieneke Law Office, LLC reposted

https://twitter.com/Indiana_Lawyer

Nearly a year ago, trial court judges across Indiana were given the authority to decide whether to allow cameras in the their courtrooms. The big question now is whether the judge in the high-profile Delphi double-murder trial will let media cameras in.

Judge Gull's Court, JG's decision. She doesn't have to explain herself to anyone, she has the authority.

I for one am glad that this side show circus isn't going to be televised. I believe that would only intensify the odd and strange behaviors that have already taken place at Court hearings. Delphi is a small town, I can only imagine the chaos that this trial will bring.

My concern is for the families of Abby & Libby and hope they are left alone and not hounded by the press and media at every turn. These people deserve some respect and consideration IMO.

moo

Maybe one of NM newly promoted secretaries read it. Then they laughed about it over coffee? Since it’s ok to chat up your friends about cases in and out of the office :)

I’ve been looking for the document where he explained why he read them and withdrew the motion. Anyone?

So by this language they can use the funds to plan travel for themselves and friend and family to the Four Seasons and have professional massages. Have a wine tasting done by an expert sommelier and fly by private jet and enjoy fat steak dinners. JMO

This blanket vague statement allows them to require no accounting showing that they are using this for reasonable travel to and from court, reasonable travel and lodging for experts to fly and give testimony or anything really related to the Allen defense.
We have identified doesn’t mean that they are going to earmark all the money for what they are insinuating they will. It’s just to lead the reader to believe it will be used properly for the defense of RA.
JMO based on the word crafting and rule bending I have seen thus far from this particular defense team.
And there will be no recourse for donors because of the sight they used to crowdfund. If it comes to light that they were used frivolously or if RA settled before trial. There will be no refunds. JMO
For whatever reason, about half of my reply was cut out of the quote that you're quoting.
Too bad that wasn't caught in time. Here it is again intact:

From the site:
We have identified the experts needed and the costs of fees, travel, and lodging are greater than originally anticipated. Please be advised that no funds collected will be offset against fees related to David Hennessy's law firm, Richard Allen's defense team, or to Richard Allen.

This is from JG's 2022 order in regards to ex parte motions. IMO, there is no doubt a contempt issue with both the clerk and NMcL.

JG wrote in her 12/12/22 order (BBM):

All such motions shall bear the following legend, preceding and separated from the style of the motion: EX PARTE PLEADING T0 BE PLACED UNDER SEAL and the Clerk shall ensure that these filings are not accessible by the Prosecutor.

The Clerk, the Sheriff and any deputies from his office, the Court Reporter, and the Carroll
County Public Defender Agency and any agents are hereby restrained under penalty of contempt
from disclosing to anyone the nature of any motion or order relating thereto, any testimony or colloquy adduced at any hearing on such motions, the text of any transcript, or any other information disclosed in such proceedings.

12/12/22: OrderGrantingExParteMotionforFundsIssued 10.pdf

Last edited:
The whole idea of crowdfunding by attorneys has always left me feeling a bit uneasy. It’s long been a concern that folks with the most money get the best defense. Of course everyone deserves an equal playing field regardless of their financial status. However, is this the right way to do this? Is it ethical? As we are seeing in this case, who should control the money?
And, does this really level the playing field? Will we start hiring defense attorneys who are the best fund raisers? Won’t they start charging more if they convince the clients they can raise a lot of money to get supreme “expert” witnesses? What if the defendant isn’t popular, maybe charged with an heinous crime, or is just plain unlikeable? Would people donate? What if the prosecution has a limited budget? Should they be allowed to crowdfund, too?
The courts are supposed to provide the defense with funds to ensure they can hire the experts they want and to cover other expenses. Unfortunately, the “experts” are charging more and more because the wealthy can afford them. The court funds given to defense attorneys are limited.
I think this issue needs a good going over and parameters need to be set.

Is the State really behind in Discovery or is that a false accusation? I think the defense is behind in looking through all those terabytes.

Why wouldn't Nick want the contempt hearing beforehand? It will be meaningless afterwards.

I would add that the defense claiming to not have received some discovery is included in pretty much every motion they file.
The State response pretty much always points out that the defense does in fact have the discovery they claim not to have.
It’s just another ploy by the defense to try and convince the public that the prosecution is the bad guy here.

This is a repost of my post from March of this year, because it is quoted from JG's 2022 order in regards to ex parte motions:

Strictly in regards to NMcL's ex parte motion, here is what JG wrote in her 12/12/22 order (BBM):

All such motions shall bear the following legend, preceding and separated from the style of the motion: EX PARTE PLEADING T0 BE PLACED UNDER SEAL and the Clerk shall ensure that these filings are not accessible by the Prosecutor.

The Clerk, the Sheriff and any deputies from his office, the Court Reporter, and the Carroll
County Public Defender Agency and any agents are hereby restrained under penalty of contempt
from disclosing to anyone the nature of any motion or order relating thereto, any testimony or colloquy adduced at any hearing on such motions, the text of any transcript, or any other information disclosed in such proceedings.

12/12/22: OrderGrantingExParteMotionforFundsIssued 10.pdf

IMOO, the Clerk (not the D) was supposed to assure these were filed as sealed and not accessible to NMcL. And, by disclosing the name of the D's requested expert in a public motion, NMcL opened himself up for contempt. JMO, but this issue should be treated as a separate entity from anything the D has done, and it's clear in JG's own order what has to happen for both the Clerk and NMcL. JMO.

My understanding is that is an act of direct contempt. Do you agree?
I'm not sure. NMcL was handed this order by JG in December 2022. The wording couldn't be any clearer. The very fact that he admitted to doing this in a motion, though, makes me question his experience level, but the way he handled the withdrawal, blaming it on being unsealed, makes me question his ethics, as well. Very disheartening for the families who are desperately relying on NMcL to get the job done, IMO.

Last edited:
Judge Gull's Court, JG's decision. She doesn't have to explain herself to anyone, she has the authority.

I for one am glad that this side show circus isn't going to be televised. I believe that would only intensify the odd and strange behaviors that have already taken place at Court hearings. Delphi is a small town, I can only imagine the chaos that this trial will bring.

My concern is for the families of Abby & Libby and hope they are left alone and not hounded by the press and media at every turn. These people deserve some respect and consideration IMO.

moo

Great post :)

<modsnip: unnecessary>

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, if NMcL is that inexperienced then he shouldn't be practicing law IMO, especially in high profile double homicide case. I admit I don't know anything about NMcL. I think I'll go down the rabbit hole and check it out.

If I'm not back back in a couple of days, throw a rope down, or not. :cool:

Well, I don't know about practicing law completely, but he's definitely not experienced enough for this case, IMO. People have to cut their teeth somewhere I suppose, but I think he's in over his head with this one.

RSABBM
And if he did (tell us), would you believe him? :)

MW admitted what he did and did not implicate AB. AB did the smart thing, got himself a good lawyer!

What I am getting at, is he is an officer of the Court first. So if he won't tell the judge about his relationship with MW in the teleconferences, in chambers, or in testimony, he can't really be upset if the Judge doesn't accept his unsupported claims. Remember MW also never said he was consulting on the case.

Just a recent interview, 4/7, with Hennessy showing just how blurred the lines have become between his representation of R&B on Contempt charges and his speaking of RA and the case. It could not be more obvious to me.

<snipped>
Hennessy said the Defense team has been distracted from preparing its case by the fight before the Supreme Court to be reassigned to Allen’s side and the potential of the contempt citation.

”If he gets convicted and the conviction is upheld on appeal, then a different set of lawyers could come back and look at all of the sideshows involving the attorneys and argue that it affected their representation and thereby harmed Mr. Allen.”

FOX59 exclusive: Attorney for Delphi defense team puzzled by court and prosecutor blow back

MOO

Obviously I am not saying it is harmless. But that is a good example---HER files should have had extra protection, IMO. If the Princess was YOUR client, I'd imagine you would have her files tucked away safely. You'd know that others would want to see them.

And NO, MW did not have to get past any protections. They all admitted that the photos were on top of a conference table, in an unlocked room. unsupervised by anyone. MW came by for a visit, walked into the unlocked room, saw the materials and took some photos.
I know exactly what you are saying.

This is the biggest case these attorneys have ever had (my guess so maybe it isn't, but at least top 2 or 3) and I'd think protecting the evidence would be of even more of an importance, especially with the level of internet sleuths and media attention on this case. I do think this media coverage and attention has been used by the defense to help their cause. It does then make me wonder about these photos. Of all the evidence to get out, it's the photos of dead children that someone had access to and took?
I would add that the defense claiming to not have received some discovery is included in pretty much every motion they file.
The State response pretty much always points out that the defense does in fact have the discovery they claim not to have.
It’s just another ploy by the defense to try and convince the public that the prosecution is the bad guy here.
BBM- and I have to ask WHY?

I dislike this tactic. I am trying to be kind, but it is getting more difficult as the day go on and these games just keep being played.

I think they are correct that it's better for the client to open the crowdfunding, or a family member or trusted person to avoid all the ethics issues.
If RA raises funds is he still "indigent"?

Are "family members" or "trusted persons" using regulated trust/escrow accounts to hold and account for use of funds?

It seems to me to be prudent that those raised monies go nowhere near RA, his family, his "friends".

It's both ethical and normal here for counsel to collect a client retainer, place the retainer in trust accounts, use trust/escrow accounts for related cost disbursements, report monthly on retainer balance. Attny escrow accounts are highly regulated. There are no ethics issues.

The D can advance their own funds (i.e. advanced retainers) to experts. The D is free to choose to cover those costs, to trust that the Court will approve expert expenses funded by the State and then D reimburses themselves upon receiving State funds. Or if State falls through, the D can cover the experts pro-bono. Or the D can find alternate funding sources, such as fundraising.

Hennessy here has set up a crowdfunding vehicle for expert costs for RA's defense with a precise description of how funds will be spent. Per Hennessy, those funds will be held in escrow until disbursed as either reimbursement for Defense-paid RA expert costs, or for direct payment for RA expert billings. Hennessy is (obviously) set up to manage trusts/escrows.

Here, Hennessy is essentially holding funds in escrow for the D to use only for RA's expert costs.
If the D has advanced RA's expert retainers or costs (paid them) and does not receive Public Defender's reimbursement, it's not RA but rather, it's the D's that will be reimbursed.

Finally, I'll add that defense expense crowdfunding in the US is neither new nor uncommon.
In fact, I can think of at least one high profile American defendant (out on bail) whose handlers for years have publicly crowdfunded to cover 100% of the defendant's criminal expenses, using fundraising websites, social media and email messaging - that do not disclose that those crowdfunding contributions will be used for criminal defense expenses, let alone explain how those funds are held and accounted for.

JMHO

If Baldwin had put half as much logical thought and time into the integrity of his defense of RA's case as he did in his sample order to the Court in Response to the State's Denial of 3rd Franks Motion, maybe they'd be further along on the real trial coming up. I can't link it here, but I'm sure someone can. It was filed on 4/5/2024.

All it was again was a mashup of the 3 FM's that have already been filed and denied and was quite improper and unprofessional. I guess he's not as concerned about the contempt and misconduct charges at this point.

jmo

Obviously I am not saying it is harmless. But that is a good example---HER files should have had extra protection, IMO. If the Princess was YOUR client, I'd imagine you would have her files tucked away safely. You'd know that others would want to see them.

And NO, MW did not have to get past any protections. They all admitted that the photos were on top of a conference table, in an unlocked room. unsupervised by anyone. MW came by for a visit, walked into the unlocked room, saw the materials and took some photos.
I still don't believe that 'story' even though that is what MW initially said. I believe he was trying to save both his and AB's rears by that statement, although AB then threw him under the bus by the Statement to the Court filed by Hennessy on Oct 18th about being 'snookered' by a dear and trusted friend and AB had absolutely no idea.

I wonder if there will be further charges for anyone or updated charges now that the ISP investigation is done, if it is in fact done. IDK

JMO

Negligence (as a noun) isn't a crime. The term denotes this: (1) do I have a duty of some kind?; (2) Did I breach the duty?; (3) Was the breach a proximate and actual cause of any harm suffered?; and (4) Was there any harm actually suffered by the breach.
I'd say it is worse than negligence. What if MW, Rozzi or Baldwin had the horrible misfortune of being the parents of murdered daughters. How would they feel knowing that vicious Crime Scene images of them were being passed around on the internet and God knows where else for all the world to see forever? There is a sick market on the internet for that sort of thing unfortunately.

It's Gross Misconduct all day long and it kills me when their SM defenders say "I don't care about the photos". Well, they should, we all should. It's about simple human decency or has society as whole forgotten that this case is about Abby & Libby and not Rozzi, and Baldwin?

MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member