Brooke Bennett, 12 years old Randolph VT #20

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to wonder why they would wait a MONTH to search the landfill?

Is this disinformation or more bad reporting?

Considering the case concerns CP, you'd think they would have conducted an intensive search immediately & not waited for trash to settle, to decompose or even possibly animals to walk off with potential evidence.
They didn't. An AP story posted on the Houston Chronicle site on Friday says the FBI has been searching the landfill for a week:
Erik Vasys, an FBI spokesman, said investigators have searched for the safe over the last week. Vasys said Thursday was not the first day the landfill had been searched.
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/tx/5883129.html

Hasn't it been just about a week since Grosenheider's extensive interviews with the FBI?

I'm a little puzzled as to why it would take so long to sift through newly-buried refuse, but there may be a lot of it (holiday weekend), and they may be going very slowly. On the other hand, Grosenheider may be lying.

There's also the possibility that someone may have seen the stuff in the dumpster and walked off with it.

I've been trying to find something that would date the newly-posted Gagnon photo.

The teddy bear looks like the design used by the Vermont Teddy Bear Company, but I can't find a date as to when its little overall outfit was introduced.

Overalls: http://shop.vermontteddybear.com/basicsoveralls.html
Plaid shirt: http://shop.vermontteddybear.com/cowboy.html

The patent for the computer speaker mounting brackets was applied for in 1994 and issued in 1997:
http://www.google.com/patents?vid=USPAT5639060

As someone with a degree in mechanical engineering technology, I'm guessing that Gagnon might be an 'early adopter' of new technology, so maybe the photo is mid-late 90's?

(If we had more photos to work with, we could probably date them by the height of his forehead as his hair recedes, like rings on a tree!)

I'm a little puzzled as to why it would take so long to sift through newly-buried refuse, but there may be a lot of it (holiday weekend), and they may be going very slowly. On the other hand, Grosenheider may be lying.

In the Lori Hacking case, LE knew immediately what dumpster she was in and where it was dumped. It still took months to find 15 pounds of her. Landfill searches are the worst and rarely result in the object of the search being found. At some point the search had to be conducted by volunteers as it was deemed too hazardous to search. The good thing here is a safe is pretty hard to destroy.

At the below link is an article that explains a little bit of what was involved in the Lori Hacking search.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4188/is_20040729/ai_n11467095

(snip)
Trying to find anything in a place where upward of 2,500 tons of new solid waste is deposited daily is literally like looking for a needle in a haystack, Stewart added. Police have concentrated their efforts so far on an area the size of "one to two acres," he said.

Here is another article discussing the difficulty of the Lori Hacking landfill search.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2004-08-25-missing-wife_x.htm

Police acknowledged Tuesday they may never find Lori Hacking's body at a county landfill, but still are committed to finishing the search.
Police and cadaver dogs are about two-thirds through a search of 4,600 tons of trash — all the refuse dumped at a landfill the day Hacking's husband reported her missing July 19.
Police are resting the six dogs but plan to resume the search Thursday night.
"We're searching that day's worth of garbage, and hopefully we'll find her there," Detective Dwayne Baird said Tuesday. "But there is a possibility she's not there or that we may not locate her there. We cannot say absolutely, because we don't know."

I just got off the phone with a woman from the Burlington Free Press and she said that it was a photo given by a family member and they did not specify a date to the photo.
Also they have not published a recent photo because it is not avaliable for release.
Which means that the FBI has not authorized the facility to release Gagnon's photo to the media. They do not anticipate the release anytime soon.

Respectfully,
dark_shadows

DS, thanks so much for the new pic :blowkiss:

I think a reward for the safe is one option just in case someone did lift it from the dumpster.

DS, thanks so much for the new pic :blowkiss:

I think a reward for the safe is one option just in case someone did lift it from the dumpster.
My dearest Strach,:blowkiss:
You are very welcome, although old, it is newly posted.

All of my Love and Respect for you,
dark_shadows

Hey guys:wave:, I'm new here, been lurking for a while and just figured out the registration process.

I look forward to posting with all of you.

I just got off the phone with a woman from the Burlington Free Press and she said that it was a photo given by a family member and they did not specify a date to the photo.
Also they have not published a recent photo because it is not avaliable for release.
Which means that the FBI has not authorized the facility to release Gagnon's photo to the media. They do not anticipate the release anytime soon.

Respectfully,
dark_shadows
Thank you for this information d_s, and for taking the time to post it for us.

I have a question about the whole CP problem? Hopefully someone can give me a reasonable answer. I know how LE came across the Chester Stiles guy and then later id'd the child but what about all these others we constantly hear about? In this case the Russian pics can't be traced back to the victims. I know they can't publish the children's faces in the media. What is done in this regard if anything to try and locate the children and the offenders when that applies.

Welcome, lisalei.

Thanks for the landfill-search links, SuziQ. I mistakenly thought it would be much easier, given that it's an enclosed area.

WCAX is posting this image of the San Antonio landfill search - I think it may be a still from the TX news helicopter footage.
2dkehqe.jpg

I think this is an old photo of Gagnon probably while he was at Cassandra's. It may not be 4 years old tho...because we do know that Gagnon was still in and out of her life after they split up. The snowmen look like someone probably decorated for the Holidays. The teddy bear looks like a kid's toy and the figurine could be something Cassandra collects. I don't think they have any other meanings.

His hair and facial hair don't seem to look like the sketch drawn in the courtroom and makes me think the photo is much older. Some men wear the same type of glasses for years.

Thank you for stating this about what is around the pc desk in this photo, SS. I too think what is around the pc area (and apparently tv area) probably doesn't mean a lot especially if others were in the home.

Regarding the landfill search, God bless those searchers. That is one nasty job. I hope they can use metal detectors. LE really wants to find this safe...and that leads me to think there's a lot more to this case than we know (although we've probably been close with our guesses).

I still have a hard time believing KG's account of ditching the safe. If he did, he didn't ditch the contents and if they find the safe...I am willing to make a major wager that they will find KG's fingerprints on the inside of that safe where he removed the material it contained. I realize they have to look in the landfill...just in case...but I think it will prove to be a red herring.

I agree, the whole 'big glasses thing goin on' looks like his other photos. But, maybe he still wears that type??? The computer set-up also looks outdated.

In the caption below the photo it said undated family Photo.

That photo can probably be dated best by the model of the television, which isn't that old. It's a cheapy basic model though.

Hey guys:wave:, I'm new here, been lurking for a while and just figured out the registration process.

I look forward to posting with all of you.

Welcome lisalei nice to have a fresh poster.

They didn't. An AP story posted on the Houston Chronicle site on Friday says the FBI has been searching the landfill for a week:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/tx/5883129.html

Hasn't it been just about a week since Grosenheider's extensive interviews with the FBI?

Thanks for that link, Diane.

If they've been searching "for a week" it still seems they did NOT secure the area immediately or start the search as soon as they heard about the alleged safe.

And as far as I know, they didn't even ask the public's help in locating the safe or promise a reward for its return.

I don't know... is this the best DHS can do to fight CP???? God help us all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
solaria