Custody Document: "To Determine Paternity & Parental Relief"

Thank you for being honest and giving us more than an outsider's impression of the face someone is simply showing before the public and presenting to the camera. If we choose to discredit the account of someone who's lived w and known this man intimately, to ignore his arrest record, to dismiss sworn affidavits by family, discount eyewitness accounts of those personally involved, disbelieve reports by other witnesses, as well as discard the reputation he's earned w/in the community, most of us here will be left w nothing other than this man's public persona--that image he's chosen to portray in front of others--and his words, on which to rely. Appearances can be deceiving, and words reveal little of what someone is truly capable, so are a poor basis alone from which to try to measure the character of anyone once behind closed doors. JMO

:parrot:

I'm sorry but I have also been verbally and physically abused. I also study verbal and physial abuse. You are somewhat correct, but the people who have witnessed the abuse were her family. We are not saying she was or was not abuse, she left the relationship, went to another relationship and had family there to stand by her throughout the court hearings...had she gone. If, there is a good possibility she was, she was an abused woman, and she was strong enough to leave the relationship; she is definitely strong enough to stand up to him in court, especially with the support of a new boyfriend and family!

I believe the sworn statements made by Haleigh's grandfather should have been proof enough to, at least, cause the court to investigate these allegations further before making a decision on something so important as child custody.
There are no pictures of my sister with black eyes. There are no police reports that he was ever arrested for beating her. At trial though, after he killed her, there were witnesses that were brought in to testify about what they had seen and heard. It was powerful testimony. Maybe there are other documents that we just haven't seen, but it sounded to me like the judgment was made very quickly. I know if I were Crystal I would have felt very defeated. That very well could explain why she didn't immediately fight as hard as everyone thinks she should have to regain custody.

I had an ex/whom was physical/and verbal abuse. He sold/used drugs. I went to the courts, and everytime the judge said where is your proof. I had none!! I always felt very defeated! However, he always went in there threatened me, yelled at me. Called me names the next days, weeks, and months. However, at this point I see why he asked me for proof, because he could not base his judgement on what I said! So I went to every resource I could find, tried anything I could. Then I realized I just had to wait, if he was selling/using he would be caught. Finally he's in jail. My point is that a real mother doesn't give up. A real mother doesn't give up on her current children to move on to get some new ones. If she was strong enough to walk away from an abuser (an abused woman knows that is a fight), she was strong enough to fight for her kids...again especially with the family and friends she has. They are camped out with her now, I am sure they would have gone to court with her had her life been threatened.

I'm sorry but I have also been verbally and physically abused. I also study verbal and physial abuse. You are somewhat correct, but the people who have witnessed the abuse were her family. We are not saying she was or was not abuse, she left the relationship, went to another relationship and had family there to stand by her throughout the court hearings...had she gone. If, there is a good possibility she was, she was an abused woman, and she was strong enough to leave the relationship; she is definitely strong enough to stand up to him in court, especially with the support of a new boyfriend and family!

I do agree with this. As a mother I cannot and will not ever understand how someone can walk away from their children. DV or not, she had her fiance/step brother and her family standing by her to help her in this. She does not strike me as a wallflower. She has no problem telling the media what she thinks of him and anyone else. Why wasn't she in court fighting for those babies? I still think of her myspace page where (IMO) she referred to her two kids with Ron as "brats"...

I had an ex/whom was physical/and verbal abuse. He sold/used drugs. I went to the courts, and everytime the judge said where is your proof. I had none!! I always felt very defeated! However, he always went in there threatened me, yelled at me. Called me names the next days, weeks, and months. However, at this point I see why he asked me for proof, because he could not base his judgement on what I said! So I went to every resource I could find, tried anything I could. Then I realized I just had to wait, if he was selling/using he would be caught. Finally he's in jail. My point is that a real mother doesn't give up. A real mother doesn't give up on her current children to move on to get some new ones. If she was strong enough to walk away from an abuser (an abused woman knows that is a fight), she was strong enough to fight for her kids...again especially with the family and friends she has. They are camped out with her now, I am sure they would have gone to court with her had her life been threatened.

You're thinking about a normal family dynamic- and I thank God every day that I had a normal, non criminal family that helped me.

But neither the Cummings nor the Sheffields are normal. Arrests and breaking the law seem to be the norm rather than the exception.

When you come from chaos, you don't know how to find normal quickly- you have to learn it.

I think Crystal was made to do the best she could- and find her own way without much guidance and without any models for doing so.

And I'm sorry but for the life of me I can't figure out what bashing the mother has to do w finding Haleigh, solving her disappearance, or this thread. I'm not going to judge or diminish another woman's experience when I haven't walked in her shoes, or deem whether or not this mother is a "real" mother, held up well enough to abuse she and others state was inflicted upon her, or responded to circumstances in the way I think she should have because not only would it be self-righteous but because it's irrelevant to this case. Accounts of whether dad was using or dealing drugs eg; and in particular whether he ever made threats, was volatile, may have been abusive or had an explosive temper however are all risk factors, relevant to the case--and to this thread. JMO

You're thinking about a normal family dynamic- and I thank God every day that I had a normal, non criminal family that helped me.

But neither the Cummings nor the Sheffields are normal. Arrests and breaking the law seem to be the norm rather than the exception.

When you come from chaos, you don't know how to find normal quickly- you have to learn it.

I think Crystal was made to do the best she could- and find her own way without much guidance and without any models for doing so.

I think Crystal and Misty are ALOT alike.

And I'm sorry but for the life of me I can't figure out what bashing the mother has to do w finding Haleigh, solving her disappearance, or this thread. I'm not going to judge or diminish another woman's experience when I haven't walked in her shoes, or deem whether or not this mother is a "real" mother, held up well enough to abuse she and others state was inflicted upon her, or responded to circumstances in the way I think she should have because not only would it be self-righteous but because it's irrelevant to this case. Accounts of whether dad was using or dealing drugs eg; and in particular whether he ever made threats, was volatile, may have been abusive or had an explosive temper however are all risk factors, relevant to the case--and to this thread. JMO

:clap::clap::clap:
Right on!

I just wanted to add that IMO the records do show that Crystal DID try to stand up/seek recourse. I think you and I are on the same page re: the records seeming to reflect a sadly classic case of power differentials/domestic violence in the legal system.

I agree. Left to drift, little parental involvement and concern, low self esteem.

Very attractive to a man who likes to intimidate his women.

:clap::clap::clap:
Right on!

I just wanted to add that IMO the records do show that Crystal DID try to stand up/seek recourse. I think you and I are on the same page re: the records seeming to reflect a sadly classic case of power differentials/domestic violence in the legal system.

She didn't have a chance in hell of winning custody of those children in Putnam County. Not with TN's connections to LE and other relationships we have not even heard about yet.

I think you are exactly right.
I also think their similarities are the reasons they both ended up with R.

And I'm sorry but for the life of me I can't figure out what bashing the mother has to do w finding Haleigh, solving her disappearance, or this thread. I'm not going to judge or diminish another woman's experience when I haven't walked in her shoes, or deem whether or not this mother is a "real" mother, held up well enough to abuse she and others state was inflicted upon her, or responded to circumstances in the way I think she should have because not only would it be self-righteous but because it's irrelevant to this case. Accounts of whether dad was using or dealing drugs eg; and in particular whether he ever made threats, was volatile, may have been abusive or had an explosive temper however are all risk factors, relevant to the case--and to this thread.[/I] JMO

I understand your point, completely...however, there is no proof he did any of this. They are all allegations, by CS and CSs family. The only proof we have is CS. MOO It is apparent she likes to point the finger when the outcome is not in her favor.

While as we've said and all well know there seldom are other witnesses, we do in this instance have "other proof." Haleigh's grandfather also gave a sworn statement. And I no more believe he fabricated dad doing drugs, drinking and DUI while children were in his care than I believe Grandpa randomly made up the words he reported hearing dad teach to three year-old Haleigh: "Drink a beer. Chase a *advertiser censored*. Roll a blunt." :furious: JMO

Where was child protective services during the lives of these children! A social worker should have been involved early on with soooo many allegations of drug use, violence and criminal activity on nearly ALL family members on both sides.

IIRC, they both had one. My understanding is that he called one on her for drug abuse, and he ended up getting one for leaving the scene of an accident where injuries were involved. He had his children present with him at the time. I don't know if he was actually involved in the accident, but I'm inclined to believe he was, because DCF gets involved with testing for drug consuption. He states he was not under the influence of drugs said he had doc to prove it, but does not to my memory give a reason as to why he left the scene.

Having said that, he was NOT on vacation. He took his children and left Crystal, and went to the State of Texas where he said he had a job, which could have caused him to go into Mexico. I thought that was all BS, and he was following through on a threat that if she left him she would leave without her children. After he left with the kids, she moved in with her mom. He was gone for three months. In August Crystal attempted to call him on several ocassions, and he would not respond. He finally shows up in September and lets her have the kids on the condition that she quit her job. Once that's accomplished he takes the kids back. He said she rarely contacted her kids, but I suspect he didn't let her see them. Furthermore, the judge acknowledges that she didn't know of the court hearing which is why he accepts that they have another one in late Dec.
On the date of the court hearing in late Dec. JR had a dr. appointment made no doubt by RC. During the hearing he uses this against her. She had to choose between the dr. app. or the child custody hearing. She knew the later was most important. But the fact is HE set her up. Even though she admits that she missed doctors appointments over the span of a year iirc, not 6 months. It may have even been 2 years, but it was at least a year. She was pregnant, and caring for an infant under six months old. The appointments could have been made in the afternoon, but I expect he had something to do with that as well. He was as responsible to get Haleigh to the dr as she was when they were together.
He took the kids out of state for three months, do you think he missed any dr appointments in that time span?
I personally see all the signs of a controlling abusive bully who uses every advantage to get what he wants.I also believe he was assisted by his mother in knowing how to make it look good for him and bad for her. However she wasn't there during the hearing. The judge knew her occupation almost before he knew the name of the kids. gmab. Crystal's mother was present, and supportive.
That's how I see it based on what I've read in the docs.
Crystal is made out to look like a drug abuseing child neglecting lazy bones.
RC, who apparently just got the job he had, since insurance wasn't available for three months, claimed that his prior criminal history shouldn't be heard.
I'm sorry, from personal history, I know how it works.
They say they will kill you, or that you'll never see your kids again. They make you look crazy after driving you into a breakdown. and in the end your kids won't like you. Crystal did the best she could with a situation she knew she wasn't going to win, ever. Even now she won't get Jr, though it is obvious that RC was breaking the law living in a relationship with his 16/17 year old girlfriend, and leaving the kids in her care according to Misty herself 24/7. It does bother me that still in this day and age that some women blame the victim. None of these people are perfect, no doubt. but in my opinion RC is a manipulative aggressive bully, and a drug dealer, and like someone else we aren't suppose to mention, never has to take responsiblity for his choices, who has a mother who puts herself out there better than the other, but still enables him to get away with anything. jmo
moo

IIRC, they both had one. My understanding is that he called one on her for drug abuse, and he ended up getting one for leaving the scene of an accident where injuries were involved. He had his children present with him at the time. I don't know if he was actually involved in the accident, but I'm inclined to believe he was, because DCF gets involved with testing for drug consuption. He states he was not under the influence of drugs said he had doc to prove it, but does not to my memory give a reason as to why he left the scene.

Having said that, he was NOT on vacation. He took his children and left Crystal, and went to the State of Texas where he said he had a job, which could have caused him to go into Mexico. I thought that was all BS, and he was following through on a threat that if she left him she would leave without her children. After he left with the kids, she moved in with her mom. He was gone for three months. In August Crystal attempted to call him on several ocassions, and he would not respond. He finally shows up in September and lets her have the kids on the condition that she quit her job. Once that's accomplished he takes the kids back. He said she rarely contacted her kids, but I suspect he didn't let her see them. Furthermore, the judge acknowledges that she didn't know of the court hearing which is why he accepts that they have another one in late Dec.
On the date of the court hearing in late Dec. JR had a dr. appointment made no doubt by RC. During the hearing he uses this against her. She had to choose between the dr. app. or the child custody hearing. She knew the later was most important. But the fact is HE set her up. Even though she admits that she missed doctors appointments over the span of a year iirc, not 6 months. It may have even been 2 years, but it was at least a year. She was pregnant, and caring for an infant under six months old. The appointments could have been made in the afternoon, but I expect he had something to do with that as well. He was as responsible to get Haleigh to the dr as she was when they were together.
He took the kids out of state for three months, do you think he missed any dr appointments in that time span?
I personally see all the signs of a controlling abusive bully who uses every advantage to get what he wants.I also believe he was assisted by his mother in knowing how to make it look good for him and bad for her. However she wasn't there during the hearing. The judge knew her occupation almost before he knew the name of the kids. gmab. Crystal's mother was present, and supportive.
That's how I see it based on what I've read in the docs.
Crystal is made out to look like a drug abuseing child neglecting lazy bones.
RC, who apparently just got the job he had, since insurance wasn't available for three months, claimed that his prior criminal history shouldn't be heard.
I'm sorry, from personal history, I know how it works.
They say they will kill you, or that you'll never see your kids again. They make you look crazy after driving you into a breakdown. and in the end your kids won't like you. Crystal did the best she could with a situation she knew she wasn't going to win, ever. Even now she won't get Jr, though it is obvious that RC was breaking the law living in a relationship with his 16/17 year old girlfriend, and leaving the kids in her care according to Misty herself 24/7. It does bother me that still in this day and age that some women blame the victim. None of these people are perfect, no doubt. but in my opinion RC is a manipulative aggressive bully, and a drug dealer, and like someone else we aren't suppose to mention, never has to take responsiblity for his choices, who has a mother who puts herself out there better than the other, but still enables him to get away with anything. jmo
moo

You are very astute, Yosande. Summed it up very well.

Thank you.

What is this about Texas?I haven't read that,interesting,there is an Addison,Texas.Anyway,I wonder if he kept up any associations with people from Texas.In his one presser,he said she's not your blood and also she's not property as if he had an idea who might have her.Just rambling,never heard the Texas thing.

What is this about Texas?I haven't read that,interesting,there is an Addison,Texas.Anyway,I wonder if he kept up any associations with people from Texas.In his one presser,he said she's not your blood and also she's not property as if he had an idea who might have her.Just rambling,never heard the Texas thing.

The Texas story was told the week or so after Haleigh disappeared. I can't remember where- sorry.

But it was reported that he had them in Texas and was threatening Crystal that he would cross the border with them and she'd never see them again.

Here are some additional custody documents some may have not read.

http://www.cbs47.com/media/news/e/4/2/e42078af-0580-47ab-8b13-b60c9d0f9ac3/cummings1.pdf

It discusses the Texas and Mexico trip and how Crystal agreed that Ron take the children to Mexico for vacation and work in Texas. How he was in Texas 18 days and had heard about the cocaine problem so therefore he did not return the children. After he returned from his 18 day trip he did not hear from Crystal for another 3 or 4 weeks. After he heard from her he allowed Crystal to visit the children just did not let her take the children but had filed for custody during that time. I am just wondering why Crystal did not mention in the court hearing that he threatened to cross the border and she would never see them again if that is what happened. She had no problem bringing up his drug use so does not make sense to me that she wouldnt mention that also.

The Texas story was told the week or so after Haleigh disappeared. I can't remember where- sorry.

But it was reported that he had them in Texas and was threatening Crystal that he would cross the border with them and she'd never see them again.

Gee, if true that doesn't look good at all. IMO, hot headed men say stuff like that.

Here are some additional custody documents some may have not read.

http://www.cbs47.com/media/news/e/4/2/e42078af-0580-47ab-8b13-b60c9d0f9ac3/cummings1.pdf

It discusses the Texas and Mexico trip and how Crystal agreed that Ron take the children to Mexico for vacation and work in Texas. How he was in Texas 18 days and had heard about the cocaine problem so therefore he did not return the children. After he returned from his 18 day trip he did not hear from Crystal for another 3 or 4 weeks. After he heard from her he allowed Crystal to visit the children just did not let her take the children but had filed for custody during that time. I am just wondering why Crystal did not mention in the court hearing that he threatened to cross the border and she would never see them again if that is what happened. She had no problem bringing up his drug use so does not make sense to me that she wouldnt mention that also.
After reading these documents (thanks,Busylady), I'll say it again--I'm shocked such an important decision was made so quickly. Is this the norm in a custody case?
I'm really curious who was watching the children (1 and 2 yrs. old) when RC took them to Texas. A 1 and 2 yr. old is quite a handful.
Also, it does mention a 1997 arrest for Crystal and a 1999 arrest for RC. Weren't we surprised those records would come up because they would have been minors then?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josiee
Back