WA WA - Shantina Smiley, 29, & Azriel Carver, 8 (fnd deceased), Olympia, Mar 2010 - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just heard on HLN Reporter Michelle Sigona said they found out someone told LE that there was a knock on their door at 1am, near where the car was found.

I have two theories regarding this case.

1. Shantina was intoxicated or otherwise impaired, drove down to water, and unfortunately they drowned. I just don't see them being on foot at this point, with dogs and a populated area they should have found them. I do feel that they should have found them by now if they were in the water as well. Given tides and currents shouldn't they be able to tell approximately where bodies would end up? Plus they should be floating by this point (sorry for the visual.)

2. Shantina knew she was lost and knocking on doors looking for directions and knocked on the wrong door. She's already shown a willingness to knock on stranger's doors late at night. Not the smartest thing, imo, but we've already established that she was somehow impaired. The reference above to the knock at 1:00am could support this theory. Whoever has or had them then drives the van to the end of the road to the beach that he knows is there, and opens some doors to stage a drowning.

Neither of these theories look good for them. :( This one baffles me, I just feel like they shouldn't be so hard to find.

Someone else said the same thing over on one of those News sites............

Maybe that's why water AND ground search has been called off? I could understand water if they're thinking the current would have gotten them, but land?

If I'm wrong, it won't be the first time. I really hope I'm not though, for at least the child will be safe. In the hands of a couple of crazy people, but physically safe.

DAY #4 – MISSING MOM AND SON (update)

Shantina_Smiley_3_370x278.jpg
Azriel-Shantina_Smiley_17_370x278.jpg

Today marks the fourth day a mother and her 8-year-old son have been missing. Shantina Smiley and her son Azriel vanished over the weekend in Olympia, Washington creating a mystery that is leaving investigators stumped. Police say Shantina and Azriel left their home in Silverdale, Washington around 5 p.m. and were heading to her step-father’s home in Castle Rock. Shantina’s van was found early the next morning, abandoned near the North Gull Harbor, nowhere near her destination. Police say the doors were open, cash, license and a credit card were left inside, but Shantina’s purse was gone. The search continues this week to find this family as investigators put divers in the water, helicopters in the air, and are sending police patrols door-to-door. Robb Simmons, Shantina’s fiancé, has created a website with his timeline of events. I spoke with Lt. Chris Mealey from the Thurston Sheriff’s office this morning, and he says the water and ground search has been called off, but the investigation continues. Investigators will continue to go door-to-door and track down leads to find Shantina and her son. He says a neighbor reported hearing noise outside their home around 1 a.m. Sunday morning, so investigators will be at that home today to see if there are traces of the missing mom and son.

Earlier today I also spoke with Robb about Shantina. He says he and Shantina have been together for two and a half years, and they have a blended family. He has two children, and Shantina has Azriel. Robb and Shantina are both Cub Scout Leaders in the community, and active with their children. He says Shantina had a lot of exciting job interviews coming up, and they were looking forward to starting their life together as husband and wife. Robb said Shantina is a recovering alcoholic, and had a relapse last week, but he does not think the relapse contributed her disappearance. Robb says he is having some health problems, and that is what set Shantina over the edge. Azriel’s father landed in Washington earlier today. He flew in from New York, and is going to help out in any way he can. Robb says he was giving Azriel’s father some helpful tips on how to deal with the media and interviews, and that in this type of case the media is on their side.

http://www.michellesigona.com/2010/03/day-4-missing-mom-and-son/

Okay, ready for another twist? May not be relevant.

So the "family tree" website lists Shantina's maiden name as Shantina Kanally. If you search the WA court website for that name, case # 91-3-00023-3 comes up. Look that up.

It's a child custody case from 1991, but the petitioners aren't either of her parents! What is going on?

I have two theories regarding this case.

1. Shantina was intoxicated or otherwise impaired, drove down to water, and unfortunately they drowned. I just don't see them being on foot at this point, with dogs and a populated area they should have found them. I do feel that they should have found them by now if they were in the water as well. Given tides and currents shouldn't they be able to tell approximately where bodies would end up? Plus they should be floating by this point (sorry for the visual.)

2. Shantina knew she was lost and knocking on doors looking for directions and knocked on the wrong door. She's already shown a willingness to knock on stranger's doors late at night. Not the smartest thing, imo, but we've already established that she was somehow impaired. The reference above to the knock at 1:00am could support this theory. Whoever has or had them then drives the van to the end of the road to the beach that he knows is there, and opens some doors to stage a drowning.

Neither of these theories look good for them. :( This one baffles me, I just feel like they shouldn't be so hard to find.

ITA. If they were in the water I think they should have been found by now also. To many days have passed by but if theres strong current it could change things.

The car (imo) seemed like the person tired to sink it but of course it didnt happen.

Okay, ready for another twist? May not be relevant.

So the "family tree" website lists Shantina's maiden name as Shantina Kanally. If you search the WA court website for that name, case # 91-3-00023-3 comes up. Look that up.

It's a child custody case from 1991, but the petitioners aren't either of her parents! What is going on?

I thought it was posted here that her mother committed suicide. Hope that helps.

robb says he was giving azriel’s father some helpful tips on how to deal with the media and interviews, and that in this type of case the media is on their side.

wth?????

From the Olympian (link to rest below):
In another development Wednesday, Mealy said someone in the area of Little Fishtrap recovered several items that washed up on the beach overnight Tuesday. The items include an empty wine bottle, an inhaler, an orange ball, and two mismatched leather shoes. Mealy said one of the shoes could be a child's shoe.

From this article:
http://www.king5.com/home/Father-of-missing-boy-picks-up-search--88194812.html

Mealy said the wine matches the type that receipts show she purchased at a convienience store around 8 p.m. Saturday.

I thought it was posted here that her mother committed suicide. Hope that helps.

She committed suicide in 2005. But this case was in 1991, before her mother even married her step father.

I'd like to know more about the family dynamics.

I should add that the Safeway on Harrison Ave. is very close to the freeway (101) -- less than a mile and two turns at most.

I am assuming when Shantina left Pizza Couples house she wound up down at the beach between 10:10 pm -10:30 pm. I wish we knew where the neighbors house was that heard the knocking at 1:00 am to give us a general idea of what time she may have abandoned the van, if in fact it was her and her son.
That would be almost 2 1/2 hours from when she most likley got the van stuck ....

She committed suicide in 2005. But this case was in 1991, before her mother even married her step father.

I'd like to know more about the family dynamics.

Yes where is her family??

woah, so she did buy wine at the store? well that certainly cements some things. when was she going to drink this? while driving? on the beach? :(

Theres so much debris in the water. Who knows if it was hers anyway.

In that last video, at 8pm, she looks intoxicated to me. She is leaning on the counter for balance and when she bends over to look at the map she is covering her mouth with her hand, like so no one smells her breath.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
just_a_shouthern_gal