OR - Kyron Horman, 7 yo Second grader, Portland, 4 June 2010 - Part #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.oregonlive.com/hillsboro..._check_all_volunteers_under_test_program.html

This is a very interesting article about the lack of background checks of volunteers and chaperones - especially those that live within the district.

Edit: in hindsight, I find it creepy that this article is only six weeks old. Could a perp have gotten the idea from this article? Oh, good way to abduct a child - be a volunteer or chaperone for a busy event because you won't be checked.

This article completely creeped me out!!!

The 2,400 teachers, secretaries, custodians and administrators have had their fingerprints taken and names checked for arrests and criminal convictions; most of the thousands of classroom volunteers and event chaperones have not.

They simply sign in at the main office, get a badge and visit a classroom to assist a teacher. Or they stop by after school to help load band instruments or hop on a bus to chaperone the drill team.

But that will change in mid-April at eight district schools, as they test a program to background check all volunteers -- from grandmas to Intel engineers.

Just an eerie coincidence, but it makes you shiver.

What I'm worried about also is that people will see that red slash and think he's no longer missing.

Interestingly it's still the pic up on AMW and the NCMEC sites, as well as most others.

I almost got angry when I saw the circle/slash on his face, but then I saw PHOTO ELIMINATION and I figured out why.

Wonder why the AP is telling it's service subscribers not to use that photo any longer.

Another thought... it was provided by the sheriff's department and not from their own photographer, so AP can't "sell" to their subscribers. That's probably why it's tagged "no sales". Other than what others guessed above, I'm at a loss to explain why they'd do this.

I REALLY don't want to believe it's because they can't make a buck off of it. :(

I keep feeling that he was going to run back out to the car to get something (since he left his stuff in the room-he planned to go back in), but his mom had already left and either someone grabbed him or a car hit him. Maybe he tried to run after the car? There are just so many things that could have happened.

Another thought... it was provided by the sheriff's department and not from their own photographer, so AP can't "sell" to their subscribers. That's probably why it's tagged "no sales". Other than what others guessed above, I'm at a loss to explain why they'd do this.

I REALLY don't want to believe it's because they can't make a buck off of it. :(

That explains the NO SALE. It doesn't explain the PHOTO ELIMINATION.

(Caps because AP is using caps. Not screaming at you. )

Actually Nadia was missing for 5 days.
http://www.amw.com/missing_children/brief.cfm?id=72204

It is very possible that someone could survive this period of time while lost.

Five "days" and she spent four nights in the woods. We can meet in the middle. ;)

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/TheLaw/nadia-bloom-tells-gma-survived-florida-swamp-days/story?id=10472779

You can go up to a week or a little more without water. Depending on the weather and your size and your physical condition. (If you are hurt, bleeding...dehydration could happen quicker)

There is a chart here: http://www.survivaltopics.com/survival/how-long-can-you-survive-without-water/

I just registered with AP Images and sent an email to the contact listed. I asked them to clarify just what was considered "objectionable" in the photo released by the sheriff's department to the media for distribution in an effort to help locate this missing child. I included the AJC link, and will post their response, if any.

That explains the NO SALE. It doesn't explain the PHOTO ELIMINATION.

(Caps because AP is using caps. Not screaming at you. )
lol i know

Maybe 'no sale' is one reason for photo elimination.

Thanks, Cal.

I keep feeling that he was going to run back out to the car to get something (since he left his stuff in the room-he planned to go back in), but his mom had already left and either someone grabbed him or a car hit him. Maybe he tried to run after the car? There are just so many things that could have happened.

That scenario makes a lot of sense to me, that he ran to get something else out of the car, but stepmom was already gone (time difference 8:45 when she left to 9am when he was last seen), and somebody grabbed him.

I don't think Kyron just wandered off. Descriptions say that was an unlikely behavior for him, and I think his focus that morning was on the excitement of the science fair, so he would have been geared to staying inside the school.

But I can see in that same excitement, that perhaps a part of his project, or a forgotten lunch bag, or maybe a prop or costume part for the talent show was forgotten in the car, and he tried to dash out to retrieve it.

I'm convinced this is an abduction, and that a predator took advantage of the unusual number of people, distraction, and lack of security at the school.

I think the predator is someone from the area, possibly a recent school employee or volunteer or contract worker. I base that on a familiarity with the lack of school security.

I hate to doubt a child. I really do. But I'm not sure the other child saw Kyron in the late morning. I'm not dismissing it completely, because again, I just hate to doubt a child. I don't think he was lying by any means, but may have been mistaken about who he saw, or what time he saw him.

lol i know

Maybe 'no sale' is one reason for photo elimination.

That's the first time I've ever seen a circle/slash with PHOTO ELIMINATION like that. I've seen NO SALES before.

Anyway, with the situation, it's pretty tasteless, huh?

Not to beat a dead horse, but here you have to pass a CORI check to volunteer and the district has latitude. For example, a father I know had no current criminal record and a history of misdemeanor assaults/domestics and he was turned down for any volunteer position.

That's the first time I've ever seen a circle/slash with PHOTO ELIMINATION like that. I've seen NO SALES before.

Anyway, with the situation, it's pretty tasteless, huh?

Very. And regardless of AP's reason for doing so, the editor at AJC should have known better than to post something like that. What were they thinking???

I hope AP responds.

That scenario makes a lot of sense to me, that he ran to get something else out of the car, but stepmom was already gone (time difference 8:45 when she left to 9am when he was last seen), and somebody grabbed him.

I don't think Kyron just wandered off. Descriptions say that was an unlikely behavior for him, and I think his focus that morning was on the excitement of the science fair, so he would have been geared to staying inside the school.

But I can see in that same excitement, that perhaps a part of his project, or a forgotten lunch bag, or maybe a prop or costume part for the talent show was forgotten in the car, and he tried to dash out to retrieve it.

I'm convinced this is an abduction, and that a predator took advantage of the unusual number of people, distraction, and lack of security at the school.

I think the predator is someone from the area, possibly a recent school employee or volunteer or contract worker. I base that on a familiarity with the lack of school security.

I hate to doubt a child. I really do. But I'm not sure the other child saw Kyron in the late morning. I'm not dismissing it completely, because again, I just hate to doubt a child. I don't think he was lying by any means, but may have been mistaken about who he saw, or what time he saw him.

Yeah, he could of been at the south door, and someone he knew asked him what he was doing. He might of said I forgot something in my moms car, that person said I'll take you out.... Maybe this person wasn't even thinking of grabbing him till this person saw the perfect opportunity outside with no one in view.

BBM

I agree. The website I linked to earlier seemed to stress community, parent, and volunteer involvement which is great... but it also leaves the door open for predators determined to get close to children. The only people I'd add to your list would be former students, as the school does go through 8th grade, so it could be someone not long out of Skyline, possibly even someone recognized by staff or parents of older children and therefore not an alarming presence.

Five "days" and she spent four nights in the woods. We can meet in the middle. ;)

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/TheLaw/nadia-bloom-tells-gma-survived-florida-swamp-days/story?id=10472779

You can go up to a week or a little more without water. Depending on the weather and your size and your physical condition. (If you are hurt, bleeding...dehydration could happen quicker)

There is a chart here: http://www.survivaltopics.com/survival/how-long-can-you-survive-without-water/

Guess I am hoping he is found this morning after 4 nights, like Nadia.

Just some hope... retired SERE instructor here... one can survive significantly longer with just a tiny bit of water such as can be found after a rainfall in a forest. Of course, he is just a little boy... but the conditions have not been terrible....

Guess I am hoping he is found this morning after 4 nights, like Nadia.

Just some hope... retired SERE instructor here... one can survive significantly longer with just a tiny bit of water such as can be found after a rainfall in a forest. Of course, he is just a little boy... but the conditions have not been terrible....

He's a very little boy. 44" and 50 lbs. Not all that much bigger than our 4 year old at 42 and 40. Little ones dehydrate much faster, though :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500