NC - Zahra Clare Baker, 10, Hickory, 9 Oct. 2010 #36

Status
Not open for further replies.
A big key in my recovery was discovering why it occurred, if only to force myself out of the hate bubble that ate me alive. I think that's part of what drew me here to this site...it's ingrained in me to have to understand why. I can't help these kids, and I know that, but I want to answers the whys for them because to me, that equals release. (Lord, that sounds smaltzy.)

It's a hard road getting beyond those things, but a worthy one--good for you!

And, no, it doesn't sound 'smaltzy'--I always tell my kids, 'if something's a cliche, there's probably a good reason it got that way'!

okay, has EB had her court appearance today yet and is it to be televised or are we all just waiting for the news sites to post their updates regarding the hearing?

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/OPINION/10/31/greene.missing.children/?hpt=Sbin

Searching with dread for missing children

-- The searchers search, even when they fear that they may fail.

A child is gone, under suspicious circumstances, and the searchers fan out, listening for a cry, a rustling in the underbrush, the sight of a colorful piece of clothing.

Sometimes it is law-enforcement personnel doing the searching; sometimes it is citizen volunteers. In the end, the distinction doesn't matter. The searchers are members of a community, connected by their humanity, and there is an intrinsic dread in what they do. They pray for the best and try to prepare themselves for the worst.

Elisa Baker was taken to the Burke County Courthouse in Morganton around 10 am Monday. She was later taken back to Catawba County after it was determined her larceny charge will require a probably cause hearing. She is expected back in Morganton for the hearing at 2 pm.

http://www.wbtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=13297637

-------------------

ah soooo.... this will be a probable cause hearing for the larceny.... she was there at 10 and back at 2 ( (any second now). Should be interesting peeps

okay, has EB had her court appearance today yet and is it to be televised or are we all just waiting for the news sites to post their updates regarding the hearing?

Rad is tweeting that it will not be streamed live but he is there....

http://twitter.com/radberkywcnc

***from link I posted above this will be a probable cause hearing for the larceny by employee****

Did you happen to notice if it was there over the weekend. I could of swore I saw it....but now I'm wondering if I'm just crazy lol. I do know the red Fairbrook vehicle was still there.

Ok hubby said yes the SBI Scene van was parked all weekend. He just drove by and the HPD CSI suv was back and he had the tailgate open and was working.

I didn't get by there this weekend so I don't know.

Wow, today's installment of the details of Zahra's horrific homelife certainly paints a picture of AB as being quite a violent person, himself:

http://www2.hickoryrecord.com/news/2010/nov/01/punishment-was-her-routine-ar-500792/

Recently read more details about the incident where AB ran BB off the road. I don't know what I expected that incident to have been like, but hearing the actual details threw me for a loop. AB drove right up beside them, swerved his car forcing them to the shoulder, then pulled in front of them and slammed on his brakes. That's some serious rage right there. JMO

In the various states of the United States, a probable cause hearing is the preliminary hearing typically taking place before arraignment and before a serious crime goes to trial. The judge is presented with the basis of the prosecution's case, and the defendant is afforded full right of cross-examination and the right to be represented by legal counsel. If the prosecution cannot make a case of probable cause, the court must dismiss the case against the accused.

[ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Probable_cause[/ame]

I don't want to get in any kind of homeschool debate, but there has to be a reason for anyone to be checked on. There are plenty of kids left totally alone to get themselves on the bus to go to public school. I don't believe there is any evidence that homeschoolers need to be watched more than any other parents.

I don't think anyone thinks homeschooled kids are treated worse. It's just that kids who are seen in school are just that, seen, and many homeschoolers are not. I think home schooled kids should be checked on periodically because they are not checked on periodically in regular school.

is the larceny charge the one from the former employee or one of the many check kiting ones?

These two girls deserve a big pat on the back for being so brave to go up against EB.

http://www2.hickoryrecord.com/news/2010/nov/01/punishment-was-her-routine-ar-500792/

(snip and more at link)
Two weeks later, on May 23, teenaged neighbors took out an arrest warrant on Elisa Baker in connection with an incident related to her making Zahra walk up that hill.
CY, 15, lived in a trailer on another road at the base of the hill. Her trailer formed a T to the Bakers’ trailer: the road the Bakers lived on runs up the hill beside the trailer where CY lived and in front of the Bakers’ trailer.
CY and her friend, BH, 16, noticed Zahra crying as she walked up the hill.
“She was making Zahra walk up the hill by herself because that’s how she would punish her because she (Elisa) knew it would hurt Zahra’s leg,” CY said.
When the teenagers intervened, CY said Baker came out of her trailer and started screaming and threatening the girls.

O/T, but...

Note to self:

No, laptops aren't waterproof.

No, you can't take one in the bathtub with you, or even try to have it at the side of the tub so you can check in for updates between scrubbing--your hands will still be wet.

To research: How long does a laptop take to dry out??? :p

intersting how former abuse victims tend to recognize and be drawn to one another based on that common experience yes?

I am willing to bet there are alot of former victims on this board, the need to speak for these new vicitims, it's what calls to us and keeps us coming. moo

Agreed. I'm sure that you are more right than u could possibly imagine.

These two girls deserve a big pat on the back for being so brave to go up against EB.

came out of her trailer and started screaming and threatening the girls.

I totally agree but I am a bit uncofmortable with their names out there, although I know they are in MSM, and I realize their names are there in a good, trying to do the right thing context. I just get nervous whenever I see minors named on the thread.

Recently read more details about the incident where AB ran BB off the road. I don't know what I expected that incident to have been like, but hearing the actual details threw me for a loop. AB drove right up beside them, swerved his car forcing them to the shoulder, then pulled in front of them and slammed on his brakes. That's some serious rage right there. JMO

I don't know if I read the boxes correctly, but there was a J marked in the domestic violence box in his record that someone posted here a few days ago. Have no idea what the J means. I want to be clear I don't know if that means he has a charge against him or not. If I remember correctly it was under a drunk driving charge.

O/T, but...

Note to self:

No, laptops aren't waterproof.

No, you can't take one in the bathtub with you, or even try to have it at the side of the tub so you can check in for updates between scrubbing--your hands will still be wet.

To research: How long does a laptop take to dry out??? :p

My gift to you today, Kiki: Waterproof keyboards

And mine took three days to dry out but the keys and touchpad never fully recovered. Lottttttssss offff sssssstuckkkkk kkkkkeeeeyssss you know. That was a soda-related incident though.

They say to put them in a bag of uncooked rice to help draw off the moisture.

is the larceny charge the one from the former employee or one of the many check kiting ones?

I was thinking the larceny charge was on the kirby, but i'm clueless. Is floating bad checks larceny?

I don't think so but I wasn't sure, larceny I know relates to theft so that's why I was thinking the employer over the Kirby vaccum charge.

OT LOVED my kirby, miss it so. Those suckers last forever, or at least 20 years for me!

I don't know if I read the boxes correctly, but there was a J marked in the domestic violence box in his record that someone posted here a few days ago. Have no idea what the J means. I want to be clear I don't know if that means he has a charge against him or not. If I remember correctly it was under a drunk driving charge.

My first thought is "juvenile". :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member