NC - Zahra Clare Baker, 10, Hickory, 9 Oct. 2010 #36

Status
Not open for further replies.
O/T, but...

Note to self:

No, laptops aren't waterproof.

No, you can't take one in the bathtub with you, or even try to have it at the side of the tub so you can check in for updates between scrubbing--your hands will still be wet.

To research: How long does a laptop take to dry out??? :p

Ummm, make sure you keep it turned off and unplugged until it dries out. Do NOT try to boot it up before then or it will fry your motherboard!

I totally agree but I am a bit uncofmortable with their names out there, although I know they are in MSM, and I realize their names are there in a good, trying to do the right thing context. I just get nervous whenever I see minors named on the thread.

Sorry about that. I just copied and pasted from the article without thinking. I have changed their names to initials. :blushing:

Recently read more details about the incident where AB ran BB off the road. I don't know what I expected that incident to have been like, but hearing the actual details threw me for a loop. AB drove right up beside them, swerved his car forcing them to the shoulder, then pulled in front of them and slammed on his brakes. That's some serious rage right there. JMO

Did you read the comment by katy?

Jennifer Moxley, a reporter covering the event, interviewed Zahra at the Charlotte Raceway hearing aide event. EB told Jen she was her mother. Zahra said no, my mother is in Australia.

So when a neighbor took Zahra to the movies, the neighbor asked her if "her mother hit her" Zahra replied, "No, my mummy loves me."

Now who was she referring to? Not EB.

I'm never going to buy that Zahra loved EB.

Ummm, make sure you keep it turned off and unplugged until it dries out. Do NOT try to boot it up before then or it will fry your motherboard!

Agree. The rice works too. Make sure it is open and upside down in rice.

I don't know if I read the boxes correctly, but there was a J marked in the domestic violence box in his record that someone posted here a few days ago. Have no idea what the J means. I want to be clear I don't know if that means he has a charge against him or not. If I remember correctly it was under a drunk driving charge.

http://www2.hickoryrecord.com/news/2010/oct/30/warrants-served-adam-baker-while-jail-ar-495586/

Adam T. Baker’s upcoming court dates
Caldwell County, Nov. 18
-Worthless check
-Failure to return property on which there is a purchase option
-Communicating threats
-Communicating threats, assault with a deadly weapon
-Worthless check
-Worthless check
-Worthless check
-Worthless check

Catawba County, Nov. 19
-Worthless check
-Worthless check
-Worthless check
-Worthless check

BBM. I agree wholeheartedly Mountain_Kat. IMO EB lost all control and fatally attacked Z and I do believe this took place in the Hickory house. I also think that EB was the one that fed the crap to AB about Z being brooding, coming into puberty etc. and the dumb arse believed her! :furious: That is such a load of rubbish IMO. And no, as a rule Aussie fathers don't talk that way about their daughters. Once again, IMO Z was not pubescent at all but EB used this excuse to conceal Z's rising fear and resentment of EB's abuse and her father's lack of care for her. I am the product of a very spiteful step-mother and a father who stuck his head in the sand and it affected me for many years. Luckily the old bag didn't kill me although she did lose it one day and had me up against the wall belting the hell out of me. I stood up for myself and belted her in the mouth. She never touched me again. My father however belted me for raising my hand to her. I was 14. Zahra unfortunately didn't have the chance to defend herself.

Another thing that bothers me. Why was Zahra not wearing pajamas or a nightie when she was supposedly last seen in bed at 2:30 a.m. The description of her is as follows;

Quote:
Zahra is described as white, about 5 feet 1 inches tall and weighing 85 pounds, with brown hair and blue eyes. She was wearing a camouflage Army T-shirt and black knee-length tights, and she has a prosthetic left leg below the knee.

Adam Baker said his wife told him she last saw Zahra asleep in her bed around 2:30 a.m. The blaze was reported around 5 a.m.,
Unquote:

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162-20019217-504083.html

Major slip-up me thinks. What, no hot bath and then into pj's before bed? IMO EB would have been the one to give LE Zahra's description including what she was wearing. AB wouldn't have had a clue! (Don't get me started on him! :furious:) I have no doubt that Zahra was wearing the clothes as described and was not sleeping comfortably in her bed at 2:30 a.m. She was already deceased.

MOO.

1. Wow Makara. That took guts being only 14 in the face of a monster. I didn't have the guts needed at age 11 in the face of violent bullies so wish I'd had your # at the time to help me fight my way out ! Lol. Seriously, it took me many years to work thru that stuff and just want to say you deserve a medal for your courage there. Bravo 2 u my friend.

2. The seemingly small detail about what Zahra was wearing is actually a major point, noticed by a person who has keen perspective on these types of situations (Makara).
As my great-Aunt ( born in Ireland in the 1800's ! ) used to say, "It's always the little things." And she'd pause to emphasize 'always.'

Have to agree with Makara and great-Aunt.

-M

perhaps some minor troubles in OZ as a youth as referenced in a certain mums posts on the HM?

Swell, now I'm going to have to try to follow posts over there AND over here. I hate you, I really really do. :tongue:

I don't want to get in any kind of homeschool debate, but there has to be a reason for anyone to be checked on. There are plenty of kids left totally alone to get themselves on the bus to go to public school. I don't believe there is any evidence that homeschoolers need to be watched more than any other parents.

I agree that homeschooled children are not inherently in more danger of being abused and therefore require being monitored more closely.

but (you knew it was coming.... lol)

When a parent who has had multiple reports filed against them and CPS is already aware of the family suddenly pulls their child out of school, out of the line of visibility, and into the cloak of "home schooling" that child is inherently in more danger and does require very close monitoring.

To me that is the difference.

I don't think anyone thinks homeschooled kids are treated worse. It's just that kids who are seen in school are just that, seen, and many homeschoolers are not. I think home schooled kids should be checked on periodically because they are not checked on periodically in regular school.

Okay well I won't get in a debate about that because my four kids were in public school and I also know homeschoolers and those kids are seen by a lot of people too. In Zahra's case people saw things but where is Zahra now. These people had a lot going on in their lifestyle that had nothing to do schooling of any kind. For instance, EB was a stepparent. We don't watch all stepparents because of it. Jmo

http://www2.hickoryrecord.com/news/2010/oct/30/warrants-served-adam-baker-while-jail-ar-495586/

Caldwell County, Nov. 18
-Worthless check
-Communicating threats
-Worthless check
-Worthless check
-Worthless check
-Worthless check

Catawba County, Nov. 19
-Worthless check
-Worthless check
-Worthless check
-Worthless check

Are the communicating threats or AWDW charges felonies?

ETA: From NC General Statutes... Section 14-32

"Any person who assaults another person with a deadly weapon with intent to kill and inflicts serious injury shall be punished as a Class C felon..."

Searchable NC General Statute Site here (criminal stuff seems to be Chapter 14)

Did you read the comment by katy?

Jennifer Moxley, a reporter covering the event, interviewed Zahra at the Charlotte Raceway hearing aide event. EB told Jen she was her mother. Zahra said no, my mother is in Australia.

So when a neighbor took Zahra to the movies, the neighbor asked her if "her mother hit her" Zahra replied, "No, my mummy loves me."

Now who was she referring to? Not EB.

I'm never going to buy that Zahra loved EB.

depends on how the quesiton was phrased. moo. If you have a mummy, and you have a grandmummy who you feel love you somewhere out in the world and you have an abusive stepperson (can't put mother there right now, sorry) and someone asks if your mom hits you or hurts you, perhaps the moniker is not one Z ever used, even in her own mind for who EB was.

In Z's mind, it was clear, her mummy loved her. :(

ETA Also, children who are abused will often court their abuser's good side, and often children who are facing abuse in their home, will lie when asked, because the demon you know is less frightening than the one you don't (what happens now) when you are ten years old and in a new land far from those you used to rely on for stability and love.

Agree. The rice works too. Make sure it is open and upside down in rice.

I took the battery out of mine and put it in the frig.
Hubby said the compressor in the frig would pull the moisture out.
Worked for my laptop and for an MP3 player that went through the washing machine.

I agree that homeschooled children are not inherently in more danger of being abused and therefore require being monitored more closely.

but (you knew it was coming.... lol)

When a parent who has had multiple reports filed against them and CPS is already aware of the family suddenly pulls their child out of school, out of the line of visibility, and into the cloak of "home schooling" that child is inherently in more danger and does require very close monitoring.

To me that is the difference.

Exactly, that child. But not all who homeschool which is the way I took the post.

Not necessarily. Plus, there really was no real visible signs of illness. Her toe looked bad - but not THAT bad - it was the red line that ran up her leg overnight and the fever (which would lead someone to think flu). Other than that she didn't so any real signs of being sick.

That red line is a huge sign to get the the hospital .... QUICK. It's a sign of a secondary infection (including possible staph).

My gift to you today, Kiki: Waterproof keyboards

And mine took three days to dry out but the keys and touchpad never fully recovered. Lottttttssss offff sssssstuckkkkk kkkkkeeeeyssss you know. That was a soda-related incident though.

They say to put them in a bag of uncooked rice to help draw off the moisture.

WOW--thanks!

BTW, we can feel a little better about our mishaps--DH used to be in IT, and once, he had to write down the reason for repair on an employee's machine as 'soiled with...mayonnaise'!

the school was never notified.

they moved districts and did not register her at the new location.

she was never registered as a homeschooled student.

EB and/or AB told LE (after she was reported missing) that she was "homeschooled"

Hello nurse!

I'd like to add to your post. The last school in which Zahra was enrolled would have automatically had her on the roll for the following school year.
The NC system in which I worked was vigilant in making calls and attempting to locate students who don't show up for school during the first 10 days. Especially if there has been no transfer and records request from another school. By the 20th day of school, an official enrollment count is submitted and this number is used to hire additional teachers or cut positions. The enrollment also determines grants and additional funds based on certain criteria.

Usually the schools are vigilant in accounting for students during these first twenty days as it is an advantage for them, but also to account for each student. Families who move alot manage to stay one step ahead of DSS, unfortunately.

I do think that the school social worker handling Zahra's case would have alerted the county DSS of the alleged 'homeschooling' so that they could follow up.

I think the home schooling excuse and moving to another county was EB's doing to keep DSS off her tail. She had been reported and knew it. And had something to hide. Poor Zahra. I cringe thinking about what this baby went thru at the hands of EB.

MOO.

wm

Caldwell County, Nov. 18
-Worthless check
-Communicating threats
-Worthless check
-Worthless check
-Worthless check
-Worthless check

Catawba County, Nov. 19
-Worthless check
-Worthless check
-Worthless check
-Worthless check

Someone had posted a wiki link, I think, the other day. These are upcoming cases. It was something someone had posted that showed his record and there was a drunk driving charge and then in a box under that there was a domestic violence box with a J marked in it.

These two girls deserve a big pat on the back for being so brave to go up against EB.

http://www2.hickoryrecord.com/news/2010/nov/01/punishment-was-her-routine-ar-500792/

(snip and more at link)
Two weeks later, on May 23, teenaged neighbors took out an arrest warrant on Elisa Baker in connection with an incident related to her making Zahra walk up that hill.
CY, 15, lived in a trailer on another road at the base of the hill. Her trailer formed a T to the Bakers’ trailer: the road the Bakers lived on runs up the hill beside the trailer where CY lived and in front of the Bakers’ trailer.
CY and her friend, BH, 16, noticed Zahra crying as she walked up the hill.
“She was making Zahra walk up the hill by herself because that’s how she would punish her because she (Elisa) knew it would hurt Zahra’s leg,” CY said.
When the teenagers intervened, CY said Baker came out of her trailer and started screaming and threatening the girls.

Good for those girls!!!

I have something to say about eb but I'd get in trouble for it.:furious:

1. Wow Makara. That took guts being only 14 in the face of a monster. I didn't have the guts needed at age 11 in the face of violent bullies so wish I'd had your # at the time to help me fight my way out ! Lol. Seriously, it took me many years to work thru that stuff and just want to say you deserve a medal for your courage there. Bravo 2 u my friend.

2. The seemingly small detail about what Zahra was wearing is actually a major point, noticed by a person who has keen perspective on these types of situations (Makara).
As my great-Aunt ( born in Ireland in the 1800's ! ) used to say, "It's always the little things." And she'd pause to emphasize 'always.'

Have to agree with Makara and great-Aunt.

-M

To be fair no one reported that she was taken from bed- 2:30 is just the last time they "saw" her- it isn't saying she couldn't have gotten up and someone "took" her later in the morning while AB was at work (which is actually what I think he has been saying all along)

I also have to say the outfit described is pretty common sleep attire for kids these days

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname