GUILTY OH - Two women & child killed, 13yo abducted, Apple Valley, 10 Nov 2010 #7

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had just a couple questions... Does anyone have any idea what possibly led LE to the HOffman home on Sunday morning where they located SM bound and gagged in the basement?...With them saying there really is no identifying or obvious link to Hoffman and this family..well, I just wonder then what would led them there??

And even more suspicious they state in the article that tho they were hoping to find more than they did{i.e. hoping all 4 missing were there in that home} but were led to believe that it would be SM that they only found in the home..which as we know is exactly how things played out..How, what, when, who was what gave LE this info? Especially someone that would know that most likely it would be 13yr old SM that would be found in the Hoffman home???

here's article and link..

~snip
“We were hopeful that we would find more than one” of the missing people in Hoffman’s house, Barber said. “Our information was definite that it was most likely that Sarah was going to be in that house.” ~end snip
http://usspost.com/sarah-maynard-22457/

Then another issue that I am baffled and confused by is that the very day they were last seen&kids last attended school it was upon Hermann not showing for work{that day}@DQ she was reported missing and in LE going to the Hermann home{where mom, Kody&Sarah lived& at time of kidnapping fam friend Sprang was at that home as well} they saw that there was blood splatter throughout the residence along with finding Hermann's{the mom and homeowner} truck parked still in the driveway..

Then the truck of Tina Hermann's that was parked in the drive way of her home when LE arrived at the home to investigate and found the family missing and blood splatter..

This truck belonging to Hermann that was seen by LE in the Hermann residence driveway was found parked and abandoned on the college parking lot{a few miles from the Hermann residence where it was seen by LE on Weds}

So WTH? WHo , why, and when did the moving of this truck? Hoffman returned to the scene of where he more than likely murdered the trio and kidnapped SM and for what reason would he have taken the truck and parked it a few miles from the home on a college campus... I am really confused..and no one saw this guy do this? was the home not marked off as a crime scene with it secured? How was he to have gotten in to retrieve the truck keys and left in the truck unnoticed?..And why???

BBM -

The Sheriff has declined to comment on what lead LE to Hoffman's home on Sunday morning...we know LE found a Walmart receipt for a tarp, trash bags, a shirt & a deli sandwich (which apparently links Hoffman to a tarp LE found) but LE hasn't disclosed where the receipt was found.

And how Tina's truck got over by the college on Thursday (tho it was seen at her home on Wednesday evening by the LEO who did the wellness checks) is another mystery.

To make this case more complicated for us to follow, MSM's reporting gives conflicting details...a lot of our discussion about the case is trying to figure out which 'fact' is truly factual & not mis-reporting...it's been a very frustrating week.

Latest news from Knox County and environs in finding Tina, Kody, and Stephanie.

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/index.html

http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/ohio-news/ohio-town-grieves-after-3-missing-are-found-1007324.html

"This is probably the saddest day in Knox County history that I can remember," Prosecutor John Thatcher said. "As elated as we were Sunday morning when Sarah was rescued, I think the tragedy today is just devastating."

God bless these families, friends and neighbors...I imagine Ohio is not so different from the West in that we all face tragedies, give each other a hug, and try to make things better.

Ohio is beautiful country, with lovely people from my two experiences there as a visitor.
I can only imagine the devastation a crime like this causes in a community, most especially a small rural one but, even if it was in LA., it would be no better.
I wish healing for everyone there.

And okay, I admit I've been out of the loop and away from TV and the Internet for quite a few hours (I went to see the midnight showing of Harry Potter tonight) but I've been reading posts for thirty minutes, both beginnings and endings of threads, and no one has posted a link to the basic news story of what happened to these people.

So for anyone else who is as lost as I am . . .

Ohio Family Kidnapping Ends with Grisly Discovery

Bodies of Three Missing Ohioans Found Stuffed in a Hollow Tree

bilde

I'll do my best to get ya caught up, ThoughtFox.

Tina's (ex)boyfriend says he had contact w/ Tina at 4:ish a.m. & 11ish a.m. on Wednesday (11/10/2010)...This is also a day that Tina & Stephanie are supposed to go looking for an apartment (the b/f & Tina are splitting up & the house is about to be foreclosed on).

When Tina didn't show up for work that afternoon , a wellness check was requested. LEO goes to her home 2 times that evening, finds lights on, Tina's F150pickup there - but no one answers his knock on the door.

Sarah & Kody went to school on Wednesday.

A DQ co-worker. still concerned on Thursday, goes to the house, finds blood & then calls LE...Tina's boyfriend, who didn't come home Wed. nite, meets LE at the house that afternoon - LE goes into the house & comes out saying they need search warrants. Stephanie's Jeep is reported to be at the house but Tina's truck is not, and is found later a few miles down the road near Kenyon College. (We find out days later that Hoffman was sitting in his car, parked in the area of Tina's pickup & LE approached him, got his info, etc. and let him go).

Sarah & Kody were not at school on Thursday.

Now LE is looking for Tina, Sarah, Kody, and Stephanie - as well as Tanner the miniature Pinscher and are concerned due to the "unusual" amount of blood in the house, which they attribute to "an injury".

On Sunday morning, Sarah is rescued from Hoffman's basement and Hoffman is arrested for kidnapping.

The search intensifies for the other 3 and LE wasn't optimistic they would be found alive.

LE recovered the bodies of Tina, Kody & Stephanie on Thursday, Nov.18th after Hoffman, via his atty, told LE where the bodies could be found.

And I thought I would also mention, the “suicide gown”???
I know that is what has been called by all, even LE.

But to me it looks as if it is protection from someone ELSE hurting him!
He isn’t going to commit suicide while hand cuffed in custody! And they likely have a guard at his cell too, or with in very close proximity IF he is suicidal.

Looks to me like they don’t want him getting killed in transport. Many times you will see a prisoner even in bullet proof vests, to protect them from the public, not themselves.

I have confusion around Sarah & time, she must not of known about the murders or we would not of had the search yet the LE are saying the murders may of taken place at the house.
She I guess would of returned from school with her Brother, how did he get 3 bodies out of the house & transport Sarah seperate or she would know they where dead.

This is one saving grace in the whole God awful thing, for me.

Sarah must not of known. I know there are rumors swirling, and hopefully they are not true.
I know that they say she was at the home when it happened but, hopefully she was isolated. And as bad as it is, I hope she had already been moved to MH’s basement, before transport of the others.

I just don’t think I could feel any worse for that poor little girl. It is un imaginable.
Also in the tragic event that this poor child has to be a testifying witness..

She is a minor, her attorney can testify by proxy.

I just can’t imagine how she can survive anymore than she already has. It’s horrific.

I have confusion around Sarah & time, she must not of known about the murders or we would not of had the search yet the LE are saying the murders may of taken place at the house.
She I guess would of returned from school with her Brother, how did he get 3 bodies out of the house & transport Sarah seperate or she would know they where dead.

That is a big question and I am willing to bet that young Sarah has told LE all she knows given the circumstances and her family is helping her go through this tough time. To protect herself, the rest of her family and LE's investigation, I am also willing to bet many details will not come out for awhile. Thank goodness they found her mother, brother and family friend, to give Sarah and the rest of the family and friends some semblance of closure, and hopefully peace...which will come about in time.

And I thought I would also mention, the “suicide gown”???
I know that is what has been called by all, even LE.

But to me it looks as if it is protection from someone ELSE hurting him!
He isn’t going to commit suicide while hand cuffed in custody! And they likely have a guard at his cell too, or with in very close proximity IF he is suicidal.

Looks to me like they don’t want him getting killed in transport. Many times you will see a prisoner even in bullet proof vests, to protect them from the public, not themselves.

Java, there was no transport involved. That court hearing was via video while he remained at the jail. If he did need transported though, fear of the public would be a valid concern for sure!

For me it is likely that Sarah’s Mother & friend could of possibly been deceased when the children came home from school.
This would leave Sarah & Kody.
Hopefully, Sarah was isolated, and of course knowing something horrific was happening, she hopefully could not see it or hear it. Also missing since Thurs, and not found until Sun. the search for not only her but the others also, was already well underway. And was to continue as a search & rescue, or recovery either one.

Of the many things discussed, one of my biggest questions, is HOW LE found out Sarah was in MH’s basement, and why or who told them it would only be her?? That has always bugged me.

Where did this tip come from?????

LE did not go there just to check!

They went with full SWAT. It had to of been a very reliable tip.

Wow, never looked at the location of this in Ohio and I spent many a summers in Canton, relatives there and my dear father is buried there. While Canton isn't close, it's close enough to make me madder than I already was.

My big question is this - how did he know bf would be gone, and my main question is - you cannot tell me that there wasn't one or two opportunities to grab Sarah alone. Had to be. He could have grabbed her and gone his merry way without killing everyone. Why?? (not that that outcome would have been better- but you maybe see what I'm getting at).

I don't think this is the first time he's done something like this....not at all. And when I first read the topix post I thought it said she saw the bathtub filling....then I re-read it last night!! :0

I just pray for all those involved. And wonder how many more of him and the Duncans are among us. While I slept a man shot and killed an intruder in our town last night....no where is safe but these types of men are pure evil.

I want to hear the details of the whens and wheres and whys. We covet what we see everyday. How freaking true.

Iam not sure if this has already been said,but,maybe when the blood found in the home was tested,Sarah's blood may have been the only one not found.This (along with the receipt & with MH found sitting in his car where the Truck was found) could have led LE to suspect that he might still have Sarah.

Java, there was no transport involved. That court hearing was via video while he remained at the jail. If he did need transported though, fear of the public would be a valid concern for sure!

I know he had no transport in this instance but, I think it's standard procedure now a days, we are likely to see him in it again in the future as well.

SailorMoon say’s:
I don't think this is the first time he's done something like this....not at all.
-----------

I would bet my last buck on that Sailor!
Hopefully there will be DNA, if it can link MH to any other crimes. I feel sure LE is thinking this too.

I believe Sheriff Barber did confirm that Sarah was in the house while the murders took place. He did not say she actually witnessed them, but that she was present. I assume that means she was aware of what was going on. :(

Just thought of something: IF the bodies were intact, then he had to really have this planned ahead. Because of rigor mortis starting after 3 hrs and having the bodies be stiff after 12 hrs, then I think that he had to roll the bodies up in the tarps in such a way that they would fit in the tree (I thought about this when I saw the picture below). If that is a body :)() in the white sheet/tarp (that looks like a rolled up carpet) and it came from inside a tree, then it had to be like that before going in -- unless he got all of them in there within 3 hrs of killing them. That is possible, too, but he would have to have been working super quick. (ETA: I have seen the pic in MSM but I grabbed mine from Crocus - thanks, Crocus, for the photobucket)

attachment.php

Attachments

• knox-co-bodies-found-111810.jpg
    knox-co-bodies-found-111810.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 343
That rainbow picture/photo needs added as attachment or resized it is stretching out the margins sooooooo bad.

They could have had the receipt from Walmart, DNA of his from the house, the connection with also being present when the truck was found on Thursday.

They put it all together and sit outside his house for a bit with a high tech listening device and hear him either talking to Sarah and mentioning her name or at some point hear her talking/screaming/crying.

That is how they knew she was in the house.

Just a theory.

Sun girl -

Beautiful pic of the rainbow. Thank you for posting it.
Would it be possible to down size it?
It has taken the right margin completely out on the forum.
Is this happening to anyone else??

The fact that he was nearby when LE found Tina's truck seems major to me. They had to run his plates and DL right then and find out he's a felon. They had nothing to get him on, but I'm betting red flags were everywhere right then.
They found a Walmart receipt. There had to be fingerprints and DNA in that house, too.
Prints in Tina's truck perhaps?

I am thinking prints too.
It would of been quick for LE.
But LE clearly said they "got a tip" about Sarah.
Maybe the tip was prints?

I’ll be glad when this rolls to the next page!
Hopefully the right margin will go back to normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UCG