2011.06.25 Sidebar Thread (Trial Day Twenty-eight)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry to quote myself, but just wanted to add that if my theory is correct, he took the court reporter to the jury room to dismiss the jury on the record so they could go home today and not have to stay in sequester till Monday? Which is why someone heard laughter from the room? In my opinion, DCS talking to JA was because she was trying to see if they should still do the deposition, and they decided to just go forward with it for the record.

I don't think HH would let the jury go until everything is signed,sealed and delivered. Should any of the parties not come to an agreement ,he would still need them.
HH is very cheerful with the jury .My guess is he cracked a joke or offered them some type of entertainment for the day.

remember, all week CM was hinting that he has "concerns" for Saturday.. first, he was worried about Jury's needs for eatting......... what else?

It would really be something if all this came down because CM does not want to work on Saturday's and made some kind of threat/motion over that. :maddening:

Did ya' hear on HLN that if it was to be a mistrial that 1) mistrial with prejudice KC WALKS free, 2) mistrial without you start over. Did NOT think judge would go with prejudice.

Baez thinks he's DP qualified because he can ask "May I please the court? Mr. Ashton? Ladies and Gentlemen of the Jury?" and "Does that fairly and accurately reflect what it is supposed to be?" :floorlaugh: He has that down pat!!! :woohoo:

I dunno I would think they had better things to do than call Ashton on a sat, and advise him his very public case will get a dr terminated from his position.

Funny thing is they cant even fire DOD people like that.

They get meetings and hearings and stuff.

So do you think that Ashton would state publicly, on camera, on the record, that the DOD called him, if that were NOT the case?

I wish that the judge wouldn't have sealed the records about what happened in chambers. I'd like to know what happened. The speculation is overwhelming. Baez doesn't look like he's trying to finalize a plea deal. He also doesn't look like he's been sanctioned again or pushed out. I want to know!

From what I can gather events happened like this...

- Baez goes into lock up room that ICA always come out of. I saw Baez sit down and wait as if ICA wasn't even in the room yet. I commented about it at the time because I thought it was funny as it suited him to be in that room, it was also the first time I'd been able to see him sit down because the outside door was left open for so long.

- Not long after, it would only have been a minute or two, Mason, Sims, Fryer go into room and Sims sits down next to Baez but she is next to the window, I can see Baez's head beside her.

- The door opens occasionally and it appears as if people have moved or have left the lock up room but are waiting in the hallway, as Mason is now nearest the door.

- A very short time later Mason comes out the courtroom door, but you can see Sims standing in the hallway (she may have been outside for a while so ICA could talk to Mason privately?). Baez is behind Mason at this point and they both enter the courtroom. Sims is still in the hallway and you can see ICA and Fryer talking in the lock up room, so whatever they are saying Sims can't hear it.

- ICA then comes out less than a minute later followed by Fryer and then Sims. ICA is still looking at Baez just before the Judge comes in so I don't think it is related to Baez, whatever is happening.

The Judge then comes in and Ashton talks about violations again, Baez gets his panties in a twist and Mason looks mortified.

- Mason then says he has an entirely different subject to talk to the judge about - ICA's eyes takes some big looks at Mason then she has a chat to Sims.

- Whatever Mason is saying it is obvious that Baez doesn't want him to say it and then Baez pulls Mason aside for a little bit then they join the sidebar again and Baez pats Mason on the back.

- The prosecutors sit down, Baez is looking worried and I think Sims tells ICA she has to go out the back. Fryer Sims Baez and Mason all follow ICA, back to talk to the Judge or to talk with their client alone without the Judge.

- Defense team come back out then ICA comes out, talks to no one and sits down, reads something at the table.

- Baez Mason LDB FG and Jeff are all in a huddle discussing something but it is Mason doing most of the talking they then come to an agreement and they all leave and go out the back with court reporter. About a minute later Medina comes up to ICA and tells her to join the other lawyers out the back. As ICA follows Medina out back you can just about see the guard let them in the lock up room.

- Some time later Fryer is back in the courtroom and has picked up her computer to show someone something- this is as ICA enters again and is gesticulating madly to Medina about something, as ICA comes in she doesn't even make eye contact with Fryer - she is really pizzed about something and she sits next to Sims. So the only defense lawyers out the back just before were Baez Mason and Medina- ICA was out back that time for about 20 mins.

- Sitting in the courtroom now are Medina Fryer talking a lot and ICA having a talk to Sims and William is flitting around.

- About 10 mins later Baez and Mason come out, Mason goes right past ICA without looking at her and goes straight up to Fryer, ICA is just looking at Baez. In front of ICA, Judge Perry pulls Baez and LDB over to him and says something to them both.

- Judge then calls a recess due to legal issue that has arisen.

- Baez and Mason are packing up and not talking or looking at each other. ICA tries to go around the back of Baez to talk to Mason, Baez looks like he tells her not to but she does anyway. ICA has a chat to Mason and Baez looks at camera looks like he doesn't like it, so he leans right down on the desk to talk to Sims and possibly put a stop to ICA talking to Mason.

- It looks like Mason pulls away first from chat with ICA. Judge Perry comes back from jury and ICA gives him a big smile, after this she leans forward and maybe tries to get Masons attention but doesn't and she leaves just after this as she goes she says nothing to Fryer but something to someone out of camera range which is probably Baez.

So the issue appears to be Mason related - ICA doesn't seem to be in a bad mood with Baez, despite his mess ups.

Baez thinks he's DP qualified because he can ask "May I please the court? Mr. Ashton? Ladies and Gentlemen of the Jury?" and "Does that fairly and accurately reflect what it is supposed to be?" :floorlaugh: He has that down pat!!! :woohoo:

:floorlaugh: Yesterday he said something like "does that picture accurately reflect what it's a picture of?" (Those weren't the exact words, but you get the idea!) Me: WTF? :waitasec:

Thanks. I thought about this case last night and thought to myself that conviction in this case is a foregone conclusion. The SA is going to impeach Cindy (and could easily do it with both hands tied behind their backs too :)) Same goes for GA if he needs it.

IMHO she's not going to get the DP though. But, IMHO it looks to me like she will most certainly be convicted. IMHO it'll be a life sentence. But that's kind of jumping the gun, so I am not quite certain about the sentencing.

Off topic: I couldn't care less about the other Anthony's. I don't want to hear or see their faces again after this trial is over. I'm not particularily fond of any of the lawyers but I don't dislike them either. Except lead defense and I think he's not doing a good enough job. But that's just me.

http://www.wesh.com/casey-anthony-extended-coverage/interactive.html

If you look at the end, when the lawyers come out of judge's quarters and just before, Casey looks mighty nervous. When Baez is flashing papers around it looks like the top page is a picture. I can't see of what but it appears to be a copy of a picture.

Anyone want to take a look?

http://www.wesh.com/casey-anthony-extended-coverage/interactive.html

I watched grammy, baez is also a 'liar' and was attacking Ashton. I'm surprised HHJP allowed baez to speak the way he did.

I don't know, I just don't know.

As far as a plea it is to late for that isn't it?

Dogs can sense evil in people......

They can, can't they?! Dogs are freaking amazin'! I learn so much from mine--ja-- I'm a idjet but I have smart, awesome dogs! :p

Sorry, just adore the chit outta my pups. Kids are grown and the pups now are the babies... :crazy:

[/B]

Really thinking that that is what is going on.. Casey has asked Cheney to take over.

You could be right which is why JP made sure to mention that ending court early had nothing to do with the issue of the testimony of that one witness. Meaning he does not want it asssumed that JB was fired due to his mistakes on the new discovery info.

I did wonder if she hadn't accused someone of that........I'm just not sure it was CM........:floorlaugh:

teh, if she hasn't already..she will. Although that's MOO, I would be shocked if she didn't..It's coming ..mark my words..

I'm so angry, I am just going to have to sit on my hands..I don't even trust myself to read anymore! @#$& ^Z@!!!!!

It would really be something if all this came down because CM does not want to work on Saturday's and made some kind of threat/motion over that. :maddening:

Occam's razor. It was actually one of the very first things that crossed my mind this morning.

Listening to this whole thing, I am getting the feeling that JB has resigned. I think when JA made a fuss about the "new" evidence. JB has made this mistake over and over again. I think this info would help to prove there was no cholorform in the trunk and the jury hearing this could save her from the DP. JB wants it in and is willing to take the bullet for the mishap so that the judge does not punish KC. So JA is staying to take the deposition of the new info and as punishement, JB is down as lead attorney to avoid further contemp charges and public reprimand. The conversation was ex-parte was the judge and the DT informing KC of the situation.

Court recessed so that CM could prepare for the testimony on Monday of witness JB was suppose to call to the stand. :twocents:

Which falls right in line with what I'm thinking:
The way I'm understanding all of this is that CM has to be there because he is the only one who is DP qualified. JB only agreed with the understanding the he (JB) would be the LEAD attorney. CM might be threatening to step down as a means to get JB to agree to let him take over the lead. Didn't they all go to CM's office to discuss things? Why CM's office rather than JB's?

No, what HHP said was he would schedule the motion(s) for mistrial when the SA finished their closing and prior to the jury getting the case. Either before 9am or after 5pm. This isn't the first or last motion filed for mistrial, lol. The contempt issue(s) will be addressed after the trial, normal procedure.

HHJP won't let JB off the case. He would simply take third chair behind Cheney and Anne, who is DP qualified. JBs ego would be bruised, but who cares. There have been many times when we have witnessed the cooling off between ICA and JB since the jury selection. This morning it was evident. She's pizzed.
AZlawyer or Gitana correct me if I am wrong.

Let me be super, super clear. No lawyer is allowed to resign, step down or as some are calling it "recuse" him or herself during a trial. The judge owns you, in a sense, once trial starts. The only thing that would enable an attorney to step off a case mid-trial is if he or she died or was seriously ill and had to be hospitalized with little hope of being able to continue on.

casey could ask that he attorneys be fired but the judge does not have to allow that, in the middle of such a serious case. If she did ask, the judge might order a competency hearing and otherwise ask a lot of questions to make sure it is what she wants, etc. But that may be what is happening. Please check out this article with similar circumstances. It explains a lot:

http://blog.cleveland.com/metro/2007/09/former_diocesan_accountant_tri.html

The article discusses a defendant who got scared and asked to fire his attorneys mid-trial. The judge talked to him and his attorneys in chambers in an effort to patch things up. the judge had the right to continue trial regardless of the defendant's request. Check it out.

Yeah I found that interesting. Would he need to cover his butt if something wasn't going on with him?

I also thought it was interesting, he should be looking at evidence..etc to help his client. Instead he is watching HLN?

I have a lot of trouble finding things here at WS, but someone else might be able to find what I am going to reference here.

It seems like I recall from very early in the case that a bunch of sleuths here had determined that Baez was not and is not death penatly qualified.

For him to be representing himself to Beth Karas as being death penalty qualified is a very big mistruth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ocj