TN - Gail Nowacki Palmgren, 44, Signal Mountain, 30 April 2011 - #7

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am still confused bout the GPS discussion ans who had which one on which vehicle. I womder if I am confusing a tracking device with a satellite receiver for directions.

Now that I listened to it again, I don't know wth was on the Jeep and what wasn't, or what was in the garage, or what Arlene has that used to be on the Jeep. I think I'm just gonna give up. :floorlaugh:

When the June 19 SMM interview came out, there was discussion about the box Arlene was talking about which starts right around here

[ame="http://websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6720261&postcount=305"]Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - TN TN - Gail Nowacki Palmgren, 44, Signal Mountain, 30 April 2011 - #6[/ame]

Personally, I don't know how accurate what SMM said is. She calls it a "black box" which I think confuses things, and I know back in June we were all wondering what she meant. GPS or the air bag data recorder? Later she says GPS, so was she talking about two different things?

To me, it sounds like Arlene has the original Jeep GPS unit and was with Gail when she bought a new one, which has been installed but LE cannot track it. Arlene says Matt told her that "the box" was in the garage -- I think she means the box the unit came in and not the unit itself, and he was going to get the serial number off the box (on the sticker that is on the outside of boxes of equipment like this) but never gave it to Arlene.

From there, it sounds like SMM and Arlene think the new GPS may not be traceable because it might have been removed at some point.

In general, so many questions and so few answers, at least so far....
Maybe money is an issue as attorneys and their assistants tend to charge hefty fees. Or maybe the family is acting according to their counsel's advice.

BBM I have been thinking that there is more strategy involved here than I previously thought. :twocents:

BBM I have been thinking that there is more strategy involved here than I previously thought. :twocents:

It's terribly quiet. Not sure how to take it....good or bad. No MSM and we haven't heard from AD in awhile, except on FB. Wondering if the FB thread is closed permanently now? No mods?

AD stated she had come to the conclusion 6 wks ago, that she would prolly not see her friend again. Paraphrasing.

GP's FB is staying in contact with the Jacque Waller (MO) FB page, so GP's case is gaining the extra coverage and word of mouth with that collaboration. Jacque worked for BCBS and she has 5 yr old triplets. :(

It's terribly quiet. Not sure how to take it....good or bad. No MSM and we haven't heard from AD in awhile, except on FB. Wondering if the FB thread is closed permanently now? No mods?

AD stated she had come to the conclusion 6 wks ago, that she would prolly not see her friend again. Paraphrasing.

GP's FB is staying in contact with the Jacque Waller (MO) FB page, so GP's case is gaining the extra coverage and word of mouth with that collaboration. Jacque worked for BCBS and she has 5 yr old triplets. :(

Yes, that case is terribly sad, too. It was hearing about Jacque Waller's disappearance and how LE is handling it that made me start thinking that LE has a different strategy for handling this case. JMO

Ah, I see.

But this is my curiosity regarding any other phones and/or devices that may have pinged from somewhere- along a route Gail may have taken. And I just don't get how the factory-installed GPS could have been easily removed. :waitasec:

Perhaps we should look at service records for the Jeep?

ETA- if anyone in the vehicle were utilizing this function either during the trip to AL or back... it would ping off of a tower somewhere. Thus my concern. Kwim?

ETA again- do we know what devices may have been in Gail's Jeep when it disappeared? For example, did anyone use a video or game system that might be in the vehicle?

<An in-car router that connects any Wi-Fi-enabled device to the Internet at
3G broadband speeds, allowing multiple passengers to surf the Web and social networks, look
up directions, check eMail, or download music. Uconnect Web is an Authentic Jeep Accessory>

Didn't Arlene say that Gail had her Notebook with her?

Didn't Arlene say that Gail had her Notebook with her?

She did:

A: You don't understand: Matt was very controlling. He followed everything she did. He would send her text messages and then erase them off her phone. He would track her emails. Whatever she did, he knew what she was doing. Every move she made. That's why I sent my computer up there with her so he couldn't find out everything she was doing.

About 13 minutes into the first Jammer interview. (Quoted from the transcription.)

There is also an interesting comment on a Times Free Press article:

Arlene loaned Gail her netbook and three people saw Gail put the ONLY key to the Palmgren boat in that laptop bag. A week later, Matt Palmgren was driving that boat. How did he get that key? Does Lee Davis have Arlene Durham's netbook?

http://timesfreepress.com/news/2011/jul/08/missing-palmgren-computers-turned-over-defense-att/

IMHO, it appears that AD was talking about two different GPS, or 'blackbox.'

IMHO, the GPS she refers to is on MP's car. GP put it there and it's not a 'satellite' transmitted results type, but a self-containing. ie this means it records on the actual instrument and re-winds after a short time. I THINK she mentioned something about 'two weeks.' I could be wrong, but whatever was recorded from the April 30 date, until two weeks back from today is erased.

I BELIEVE, the second 'black box' or GPS, is the one on Gail's car. Gail had complained about MP knowing her every move. So, IMHO, she removed it and according to MP, it's in the garage..............................or NOT!
..IMHO, the reason AD MAY have wanted it, was to get the serial # that could then be traced back to the 'vin #' of GP's car. But, MP said it's in the garage, but ,.................................IMHO only, it's most likely nowhere to be found.

Please note! This is all speculation on my part, as that is the only explanation for the apparent discrepencies, from what I've heard and read

JMHO
fran

Across the street from the SM house, there is a repossessed home. It has been vacant for over a year.

I noticed the lot next to their house in SM is still for sale. It was said LE checked the area outside, but I would have felt better if they had taken dogs in to that lot area and behind the house. IMO

From article:

He said a green pickup and a bald man between the ages of 48 and 50 are connected to her disappearance. He also accurately described the purse she had with her at the time she disappeared, according to a family friend.

So she had her purse with her and yet the DL and CC's were left at home?

**I must admit for the last two nights I have had some pretty awful dreams regarding Gail's case, even to the point of waking, but attributed them to a medication.

ETA: Wish more description of the color green could have been given. Here's link to their website....with video intro: http://www.findme2.com/

I thought there was a big discussion that Arlene stated there was no GPS on Gail's vehicle?

BBM - I recall that also and in the very beginning it was mentioned LE could not trace the vehicle using GPS technology. I believe that was the first thing they tried to do, in addition to the cell pings, which we know the last was at the foot of Signal Mountain on May 2nd and I recall around 5PM, maybe? FWIW

Hmm. Not sure. But here is an interesting note:
http://www.autoblog.com/2009/07/21/onstar-announces-remote-ignition-block-for-stolen-vehicles/

OnStar is expanding on its Stolen Vehicle Assistance services with the announcement of a new technology that will give law enforcement another critical tool to help safely and quickly recover subscribers stolen vehicles.

This new technology is called Remote Ignition Block and will allow an OnStar Advisor to send a remote signal to a subscriber's stolen vehicle to prevent the vehicle from restarting once the ignition is turned off. This capability will not only help authorities recover stolen vehicles, but can also prevent dangerous high speed pursuits from starting.

"Remote Ignition Block is a prime example of the rapid pace of technological innovation underway at OnStar. We are developing services desired by our subscribers that deliver important societal benefits as well," said Chet Huber, OnStar president.

Remote Ignition Block builds on OnStar's growing suite of Stolen Vehicle Assistance services which includes GPS technology that pinpoints a stolen vehicle's exact location and Stolen Vehicle Slowdown® which can remotely slow a stolen vehicle to idle speed.

OnStar will make Remote Ignition Block available on select over 2M GM 2009 and 2010 model year vehicles in the U.S. and Canada.

If I recall correctly, I was told on mine they could simply shut the vehicle off as well. Need to look at my manual again

For those in touch with the family and/or the BGHN team:

Is there a list of areas that have been searched by volunteers, or by police and volunteers together?

Trying to think about Gail's cell phone ping. I've heard "base of mountain" and also near Wal-Mart. Looks like there is a tower located near the Wal-Mart on the southeast side of the mountain. Is this the general understanding of the area the last ping came from?
I'm wondering if the phone was near the Wal-mart, and not necessarily at the Wal-mart. I would think the Wal-mart would have security cameras and we haven't heard LE say the Jeep was ever sighted there.

And to echo Happy above, is May 2 at 5pm a general time for that ping? Is this also the date Gail was reported missing? I know MP reported her missing, but didn't DN also? Do we know what time these reports were made to LE? BeanE, if we don't already know this, is this something the reporter you tweet back and forth with could try to uncover? TIA.

From today's article:

FIND ME, which also has a search-and-rescue unit with canines, took a look at the Palmgren case after one of her family members contacted the group online.

I'm glad to hear a lot more avenues are being explored by the family than we first thought. The psychic not associated with FIND ME is the one who described the handbag, which is interesting too.

Janice Atkinson said that HCSO wouldn't turn down this evidence, "anything is worth following up on." Also good to hear.

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2011/jul/21/psychics-peer-into-palmgren-case/

I noticed the lot next to their house in SM is still for sale. It was said LE checked the area outside, but I would have felt better if they had taken dogs in to that lot area and behind the house. IMO

believe09- I agree. At this point, I think the best way to approach the situation is to rule out an accident. JMO, of course.

I, for one, would love to see SAR Canines brought in to search for Gail! SAR Canines are exceptionally gifted with heightened senses, therefore, I think it would be a significant lapse in judgment not to involve such searching, unless, of course, LE has information, we're not privy to, that leads them to think SAR Canine searches of the SM area would prove irrelevant.

Using SAR Canines, I think it would make sense to begin at the SM Palmgren home and work outward from there. I believe the densely wooded areas on SM as well as the areas along and below the main roads leading off SM need to be thoroughly searched. If no hits are made, then I would proceed to areas with dense foliage at the bottom of the mountain and more comprehensive waterway searches (for her cell phone, as well). After that, I would cover the other forests connecting to SM, as some posters have described, and thoroughly search the area that CC reported having spotted Gail in her Jeep Rubicon with a 'mystery' passenger during the late afternoon/early evening hours of 4/30.

(I realize that some of the SM terrain as well as the foliage is difficult, at best, to traverse, but SAR Canines can access areas more readily than their human counterparts (yes, their handlers will have to follow them in to areas but they're a hardy bunch, too, from what I hear... :)

I did a Google Earth seach of Gail's SM neighborhood and the surrounding area (the satellite images were captured in 10/2010), I was surprised to see how densely wooded the area adjacent to Gail's SM residence is...it looked to be that way for several miles.

Also, I noticed at least four (4) bodies of water across the street from Gail's SM home...couldn't tell if they were holding ponds, natural ponds or small lakes but I would definitely think a search of those areas would be in order, as well! All IMHO

And to echo Happy above, is May 2 at 5pm a general time for that ping? Is this also the date Gail was reported missing? I know MP reported her missing, but didn't DN also? Do we know what time these reports were made to LE?

Snipped to just this part since I think it's all I can help with.

The phone pinged the same day Gail was reported missing. I believe but cannot 100% confirm that the phone pinged after Diane made the phone call to LE reporting her missing and asking for the welfare check at the home.

JBean
confirmed the phone was pinged on the 2nd:

...at the Walmart at the base of Signal Mountain on Monday. Phone has not been on since then.

She did not have credit cards or her drivers license with her. (Link here.)

On May 15, believe09 confirmed the ping was 5:00 PM ([ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6489618&postcount=555"]Link here.[/ame])

So that probably means at least the first call to LE reporting Gail missing was before the ping. I don't know the specific timeline, only this from WCRBtv:

Gail Palmgren's sister, Diane Nichols, calls Signal Mountain Police from her home in New York. Nichols reports not hearing from Gail, and requests a welfare check and files a missing persons report. An officer drove to the Palmgren's home. No one was home and there were no signs of foul play. Later that day, Matthew Palmgren calls 911 to report his wife missing. (Link here.)

As for the actual times, I want to say Diane called LE around noon, but I can't find any source for that. I think it was brought up here in the forums. I'm going to keep poking around to try to find it.

He also accurately described the purse she had with her at the time she disappeared, according to a family friend.

Oh man, hollyblue, I can't believe I didn't catch this when I first read your post. We didn't know if she had her purse with her when she left -- now we do! You're right, she had her purse and her phone but not her credit cards or driver's license.

It's so odd. I still wonder if she deliberately left them at the SM home before leaving about 12:15 that day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
radnewal