IN - Lauren Spierer, 20, Bloomington, 03 June 2011 - #22

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some random thoughts - if LS was fairly coherent at 5 N at around 4 am and was running out of party options, why didn't she just ask someone to call JW for her?

Or, if she was looking for additional party options, was there another party at 5N? Perhaps she left but then doubled back, which would explain why there may not be any video of her after that point.

But it's sounding more and more that she was incredibly incapacitated and not able to navigate or do much on her own. That must be what her parents have concluded.

Going back to what you mentioned, and the link provided by Jupiter812 to
the story - reading that his sentence could be end up being reduced to around two years really is :pullhair:

Perps getting a light first sentence or plea bargaining down - only to strike again!

To bad judges/the law don't take into account the ultimate intentions of the perp - just because a victim survives, perp should be sentenced as if she hadn't.

Perhaps there's a perp out there who thanks to getting off lightly, has struck again, taking Lauren...

I know! Two to five years for a brutal sexual assault? I can't get the rape charges being dropped ... if she couldn't say yes, she couldn't say no. At least his name will be on the list.

So true about light sentences/repeat offenders ... murder case pending in MI with suspect on probation at the time for sexually assaulting children. Can't imagine how the parents of either group of children felt ...

Still don't know what to think re: LS, but the other case does make one wonder ...

Funny, I brought this case up way back in June when these threads were new...
It was very similar, with the partying in both cases, Katie also left her phone and purse behind, etc...
Still...I think the window/distance was even smaller here for Lauren to be grabbed by a stranger. And all of Katie's other friends cooperated, if I remember correctly. Only the BF behaved like a jerk IMO. He did look guilty, though.

Sorry I missed your post about this.

What struck about Katie's case was that her BF tried to follow her home, and when he saw she had reached her home he left - that he didn't see anyone lurking, following Katie, along with the very little time Katie was alone at the window before being taken had me saying - Wow!, if that could happen to her, it could have happened to LS...

Katie's BF cast so much suspicion on himself, it was really strange... the others at the party all co-operated, but were had to locate since they had all gone back to their hometowns....

Some random thoughts - if LS was fairly coherent at 5 N at around 4 am and was running out of party options, why didn't she just ask someone to call JW for her?

Or, if she was looking for additional party options, was there another party at 5N? Perhaps she left but then doubled back, which would explain why there may not be any video of her after that point.

But it's sounding more and more that she was incredibly incapacitated and not able to navigate or do much on her own. That must be what her parents have concluded.

Could be she was "supposed" to meet up with JW later but that she really didn't want to so she didn't plan on it.

I know they don't have to keep their stories straight to LE. BUT - I have to believe that each one of these kids has friends/family asking questions (if only for being supportive). They are probably daily asked, "What happened? Do you have any idea where she is? Where did she go last?" etc. etc. Keep in mind that EVERY person with whom these POIs share even a small detail, could later come forward. If they're simply saying, "I don't want to talk about it." that could look suspicious. I think they're probably talking to some people and perhaps those people are even mutual friends with others. It's one thing to be silent to LE but when they start being silent to their friends and family, that looks even worse. I also think that they will need to make sure they get their story straight for their attorney too. I understand attorney/client confidentiality, but even those who are guilty, rarely admit it to their attorney. Therefore, they will need to have a straight story.

I think the kids with good experienced attorneys are probably on a complete gag order PERIOD. You don't share any info with ANYONE.

This is a close knit group of people. To these girls, being in with this crowd of guys is crucial for their popularity. I think HT is keeping quiet about something (i do not know what, as i was not there) that occurred that night. I can only speculate so far as to specifics.

Maybe she knew LS was taking certain drugs and knows that JR or whoever supplied them. Maybe she knows something about CR and this alleged punch and altercation in SW.

I just think that if I were HT and LS were my friend, I myself would be begging JR to come forward. But it seems that HT is downright defending him, while CS and many other media outlets are BEGGING JR to come forward.

It just doesnt seem right.

What would make these guys so crucial to their popularity.What is there big claim to fame.While HT said they hung out a lot at JT house last year it seams to me the only reason they did was because they lived on campus and he did not.If you look at this year when theses girls had their own apartment they were their so little that they did not even meet CR till the end of the year even though he lived right next door and apparently hung out with JR enough to get arrested with him.Also if you look at the night this incident happened I do not see any of these girls had much interest in going to his house.

I think the kids with good experienced attorneys are probably on a complete gag order PERIOD. You don't share any info with ANYONE.

Seems to me everyone having anything to do with this case has a gag order!

Seems to me everyone having anything to do with this case has a gag order!

The problem is, I can understand that... we can HOPE that someone talks -- but, unless the person talking has absolutely NO REASON to be suspected of wrongdoing (including drugs, etc), I can really understand why people are keeping quiet.

And, at their age, ratting out your friends to LE isn't very acceptable behavior. But, I do find it very hard to believe that LS didn't have some friends who are willing to deal with a little heat to give info -- and I truly hope that people have done that, and that LE just needs a little confirmation or the ability to put on a little heat of their own.

Getting some of the POI back in town for school will help, IMHO

The problem is, I can understand that... we can HOPE that someone talks -- but, unless the person talking has absolutely NO REASON to be suspected of wrongdoing (including drugs, etc), I can really understand why people are keeping quiet.

And, at their age, ratting out your friends to LE isn't very acceptable behavior. But, I do find it very hard to believe that LS didn't have some friends who are willing to deal with a little heat to give info -- and I truly hope that people have done that, and that LE just needs a little confirmation or the ability to put on a little heat of their own.

Getting some of the POI back in town for school will help, IMHO

Very good point and I can imagine some have given information but are not talking about it for the reason you stated, "ratting out friends". It could be that LE isn't telling anything about it because they need evidence to back it up. A good attorney might advise his client to tell what he/she knows with a signed agreement not to be prosecuted for anything that that might incriminate them. JMO

There are TOLD not not discuss this with anyone, but trust me, almost all of them eventually do. These are also kids/very young adults. They are of an age where they still think that one best friend can be trusted with ANYTHING. In my line of work, I see that not everyone listens to his/her attorney, especially at this age. Don't you think their parents have told them multiple times, "If you do drugs, you can get yourself into some serious mess?" Did they listen? Nope. At this age, they're infallible. Even a big shot attorney telling them what not to do, won't always make a different. Sorry to sound cynical but I've just seen it.

yep.. and then another and another... and the girl you slept with last night... very dangerous!!

Seems to me that if the POIs were to dispose of the body of a friend, they would at least put the body in a decent resting place. Digging a grave would take a long time, and possibly attract attention. Does the banned frat still own any property? Maybe they would lay the body in the secret sub-basement of some old frat-owned club house, or a cave used by the frat as a meeting place, or some other place that had positive associations for them.

Maybe some type of group amnesty could be offered, if LS's disappearance were simply a matter of a medical emergency followed by group panic.

OTOH there is the possibility that none of these young men were involved in any way in committing a crime against LS that night.

Watching gma about Robin Gardner missing in aruba-i wish BPD coulda been able to detain POIs like they r holding the suspect there. Its giving them a chance to check out his story and cell phone records and such in depth b4 they let him go anywhere

May have to wait until the crops are all in to get more answers.

This case is beginning to seem to have a couple of minor similarities
to other past cases from the area.
I am beginning to wonder if that is deliberate or if it is just the way
people are.

I usually return to the OD/POI/dumpster theory, but you raise a good point. I had no internet while in MI last week and did mull some other possibilities. I can't find the link right now (should be unpacking), but there's a case involving JW's attorney and a male IU student who randomly raped an intoxicated female student. She awoke in a hospital after the assault. Something similar could have happened to LS ... except she didn't awaken afterward, due to OD/long Q syndrome combo.

That scenario could involve a student other than a POI or a random stranger. It might still include a dumpster, even. Or, maybe JR knew she was off to meet someone and doesn't want to divulge who the someone is.

Each statement coming from the boys seem to have purpose.
Analyzing JR's statement. He watched LS round the corner at 11th and college.

If True: If JR's statement is true, LS was abducted. JR's family is not cruel enough to watch the Spierers go down the wrong path while their daughter may be held by captors. They would have approached the Spierer family face to face; more than once. I have faith that JR's family would be decent enough to do this if they were certain that JR was telling the truth.

If False: The main reason I doubt JR's story is that JR's family made no face to face attempt to encourage the Spierers to keep looking for an abductor. The second red flag for me is the detail in his story. I believe JR could allow LS to leave with no shoes or no keys, but someone that unsympathetic would not bother to stand at the door and watch a person walk all the way to the corner. So following this logic; what does this detail attempt to cover.

Your suspicions that JR is covering for another could be one possibility here.

Heard that the FBI is at the landfill to start the search this morning. Hopefully this turns something up in the next few days. Hopefully there is a news story about it later, I just got a text from a friend this morning telling me about it.

Really glad to hear LE is at last searching the landfill. Though another part of me feels really sad for Lauren's parents. Imagine what they must be feeling - this could be where my child is? May God be with you.

From BPD Facebook Page at https://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=hp#!/notes/bloomington-police-department/bpd-at-sycamore-ridge-landfill/232954203415058

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

August 16, 2011

For more information, please contact:

Captain Joe Qualters

Bloomington Police Department

(812)349-3317

qualterj@bloomington.in.gov

BPD LOOKING AT SYCAMORE RIDGE LANDFILL

The Bloomington Police Department has begun looking for evidence at the Sycamore Ridge Landfill related to the disappearance of Lauren Spierer. The operation began at approximately 7:00 a.m. today. The Sycamore Ridge Landfill is located in Pimento, IN (Vigo County). The Department is being assisted by agents from the FBI, officers from the Indiana University Police Department and a search expert from Team Adam affiliated with the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children. Approximately 20-30 law enforcement personnel from all of the agencies will participate each day. The area of interest within the landfill is estimated to be approximately 70’ X 120’ X 20’ and the search effort may take up to two weeks.

Preparations for this undertaking began within days of Lauren Spierer being reported missing on June 3, 2011. It should be noted that dumpsters in the area of 11th and College were included in the initial search effort by police that took place immediately after Spierer was reported missing. As an additional precaution, during the week of June 6th initial contact was made with the companies providing waste collection for the dumpsters located near 11th and College. It was determined that all waste from Bloomington is taken to a transfer station south of the city and then transported to the Sycamore Ridge Landfill. While working with the company that operates the landfill, Republic Services, waste that was taken from the city on and around the dates of Spierer’s disappearance was identified at the landfill site. That location within the landfill has remained isolated and secured since that time with no additional waste placed in the identified area.

As preliminary preparations for checking the landfill began, the decision was made to allow ongoing land search efforts to continue. Thousands of civilian and professional searchers covered a perimeter of 10-12 miles from Spierer’s last reported location. Additional specific rural locations that were identified as possible disposal sites were also searched both inside and outside of Monroe County.

The Team Adam landfill search experts affiliated with the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children began working with investigators in early July even as other efforts continued. An extensive plan was developed including determining the number of personnel needed, what agencies would be able to contribute personnel, what safety equipment and tools would be needed and where that equipment could be obtained. Other logistical considerations include such things as wash stations, restroom facilities, shelter, food, water and daily transportation for search personnel from Bloomington to the Terre Haute area.

Once the plan was finalized, the week of August 15th was chosen as a start date for the operation. In the interim, the personnel and equipment resources that would be needed as part of the plan were identified and procured.

The following statement is being released on behalf of the Spierer family:

“Please keep all the members of the Bloomington Police Department and all other law enforcement agencies who are assisting in this incredibly complex undertaking to search the landfill safe. With sincere thanks and appreciation for their continued support in our efforts to find Lauren.”

Rob, Charlene and Rebecca Spierer

IMPORTANT!

NO INTERVIEWS OR UPDATES WILL BE PROVIDED AT THE SYCAMORE RIDGE LANDFILL SITE. ANY UPDATES OR SIGNIFICANT DEVELOPMENTS FROM THE SEARCH WILL BE PROVIDED IN THE FORM OF A NEWS RELEASE OR NEWS CONFERENCE THAT WOULD BE CONDUCTED AT THE BLOOMINGTON POLICE DEPARTMENT WITH ADEQUATE NOTICE PROVIDED FOR TRAVEL CONSIDERATIONS.

THE MEDIA WILL NOT BE ALLOWED ON THE PRIVATE PROPERTY OF SYCAMORE RIDGE LANDFILL AND THE SEARCH AREA CANNOT BE SEEN FROM ANY AREA ACCESSIBLE TO THE PUBLIC.

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR COOPERATION.

###

So the other day I was thinking after seeing Katie Sepich case on an ID show that LS might be a random abduction.... well, last night I saw a story about a cold case where a 15 year-old went missing the night he was to meet two of his life-long friends to watch a comet in the night sky from their make-shift clubhouse in the woods.... LE suspected the boy's older brother, his step-dad, a drug dealer.... years went by and it turned out that his two life-long friends had actually done it - they planned to kill him because he stole some pot from one of them!

So once again I'm relating something I've seen on TV to the LS case -
could her abduction been something planned???? (This must have mentioned by now on one the threads..)
Could there be a motive of fear that she might talk too openly about a drug supplier, did she owe money, had she taken someone's drugs....
The way her disappearance happened with no real evidence is what has me thinking that it might have all been planned...
Can only hope they find her in the landfill (though don't like saying it that way) and forensics can still be obtained...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Websleuth0000