IN - Lauren Spierer, 20, Bloomington, 03 June 2011 - #22

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't follow this thread normally, but I happened to peek in and saw this question about the landfill. I remember WSers collected a good bit of information about landfill searches in Gabriel Johnson's case; I'm not sure whether you followed that one. I don't know anything about the particular landfill involved with the search for LS, but I remember lots of discussion about how dangerous it is, in general, for the people and dogs who search. They normally have to have a pretty strong reason for searching.

I don't know how interested you are in the subject generally, but you might find some interesting material there.

Gabe landfill searches thread

Link to a youtube video I remembered posting in Gabe's case showing a landfill search (unrelated case)

Thank you. I'll check it out. Welcome to this Thread!

This is a close knit group of people. To these girls, being in with this crowd of guys is crucial for their popularity. I think HT is keeping quiet about something (i do not know what, as i was not there) that occurred that night. I can only speculate so far as to specifics.

Maybe she knew LS was taking certain drugs and knows that JR or whoever supplied them. Maybe she knows something about CR and this alleged punch and altercation in SW.

I just think that if I were HT and LS were my friend, I myself would be begging JR to come forward. But it seems that HT is downright defending him, while CS and many other media outlets are BEGGING JR to come forward.

It just doesnt seem right.

Thanks for sharing. Your perspective and insight is welcomed and appreciated. I wonder if HT was or is interested in JR romantically and if so might this be an added reason for her to protect him.

Yes, thank you for the insight. I have had mixed feelings about HT, but they have never gotten as serious as other people's feelings about her. I don't really believe she was involved, or knows where Lauren's body is, or hated Lauren, or wanted Lauren's boyfriend, or was the mastermind behind the entire story and is controlling all of these guys in any way. I just feel like she is a semi-vain girl who really cares about fitting in with the "cool boys" of the area which describes...what? 75% of girls that age?
Alright, maybe not 75, but a lot of girls that age are a little vain, a little self-centered, and care about what boys think of them.
I do think the extent of what she may not be telling probably just relates to "little" details-maybe that JW and her were having issues or what drugs were being used or other things like that. I just say little details because everything is little to me except 1. Where is Lauren 2. What happened to her 3. Who did it.

I would probably be banned from these boards if I said what I was thinking about the commentator on that news article. Victim-blaming will never get a positive reaction from me.

IMO... HT knows something we don't know... and is probably being told by LE not to divulge the info. I think there are more perp/friends involved that we do not even know about. Probably, connected to 5 North or behind it.

Keeping their stories straight would not be that hard, if they have not been continously speaking with LE...they probably gave their stories and hired lawyers and have not talked about it again without lawyer present. It really does not take a mastermind to give a version and stick with it. If LE had some proof and came after someone hard, that would be different, someone might "crack." But unless they are undergoing regular interviews, which I doubt...theycould easily stick to their original stories, IMO.

I know they don't have to keep their stories straight to LE. BUT - I have to believe that each one of these kids has friends/family asking questions (if only for being supportive). They are probably daily asked, "What happened? Do you have any idea where she is? Where did she go last?" etc. etc. Keep in mind that EVERY person with whom these POIs share even a small detail, could later come forward. If they're simply saying, "I don't want to talk about it." that could look suspicious. I think they're probably talking to some people and perhaps those people are even mutual friends with others. It's one thing to be silent to LE but when they start being silent to their friends and family, that looks even worse. I also think that they will need to make sure they get their story straight for their attorney too. I understand attorney/client confidentiality, but even those who are guilty, rarely admit it to their attorney. Therefore, they will need to have a straight story.

OK, I'm prepared to start a :pillowfight: when I say this however somtimes a :pillowfight2: is fun.

Here goes, I wonder why Le doesn't do a little shake up on those involved. What do they have on them as far as drugs. If they have anything they can use to gets these kids in and talking then they should do it. Sure they all have lawyers but someone just might start talking....jat and probably nago

Totally agree. Bring in the DEA. Bust 5 North wide open. Unfortunately, my gut is that they were low on the totem pole and busting the low riders doesn't help getting to higher ups. As drug investigations go, they use the low riders to get to the highers. Perhaps busting 5 North would gain nothing but a few possession arrests. But then again, they've had almost 3 months to clean up the joint.

A lot of this investigating should have been done in the beginning. If HT knew LS was doing drugs that night, call in the DEA that day. Don't wait until the joint is cleaned out and all the perps are long gone.

Im sure someone has answered this question already but when does school start back up? TIA

Im sure someone has answered this question already but when does school start back up? TIA

First day of classes is Aug. 29. Some people have started moving back already but most will in the next 2 weeks.

After watching "Nightmare Next Store" about Katie Sepich I couldn't help but think of Lauren's case. It really makes me think again about Lauren being taken by a stranger and not one of the POI's.

The way Katie's boyfriend seemed like the one who did it - refusing to submit his DNA, getting a lawyer... even the way he first told one story, then reveal he actually followed Katie home the night she went missing - all had LE believing he had to be the one to have taken her outside her home as she tried to enter in thru a window because she left her pocket book, keys, and cellphone at the party she was at late that night...

I usually return to the OD/POI/dumpster theory, but you raise a good point. I had no internet while in MI last week and did mull some other possibilities. I can't find the link right now (should be unpacking), but there's a case involving JW's attorney and a male IU student who randomly raped an intoxicated female student. She awoke in a hospital after the assault. Something similar could have happened to LS ... except she didn't awaken afterward, due to OD/long Q syndrome combo.

That scenario could involve a student other than a POI or a random stranger. It might still include a dumpster, even. Or, maybe JR knew she was off to meet someone and doesn't want to divulge who the someone is.

I really do think alot more little bits of info will start coming out once school starts back up. But its taking Sooo long!

I usually return to the OD/POI/dumpster theory, but you raise a good point. I had no internet while in MI last week and did mull some other possibilities. I can't find the link right now (should be unpacking), but there's a case involving JW's attorney and a male IU student who randomly raped an intoxicated female student. She awoke in a hospital after the assault. Something similar could have happened to LS ... except she didn't awaken afterward, due to OD/long Q syndrome combo.

That scenario could involve a student other than a POI or a random stranger. It might still include a dumpster, even. Or, maybe JR knew she was off to meet someone and doesn't want to divulge who the someone is.

What really struck me about the Katie Sepich case was the way it seemed impossible for anyone but her BF who was a POI for many months to have done it - he actually had followed her home.... but didn't wait for her to get in - so the random perp only had minutes to grab her and get her into his small truck....

In an interview with the perp (IIRC it took years to finally get him) he mentioned that he was in the neighborhood looking to buy drugs when he spotted Katie walking - he followed her without being seen ...

Here again, I'm thinking of the neighborhood LS was in, could someone looking for drugs have spotter her? Laid low a bit, and grabbed her in just a few minutes time?

Welcome back, keylime. No internet access sounds good to me for a while.

I know the case you are referring to. Yes, JW's attorney is the same. Here is a link. It is disturbing. There are several more stories on IDS.

This was not random though. They both were at a fraternity party together. Incredibly said that her parents did not attend the hearing.

http://www.idsnews.com/news/story.aspx?id=81954&search=howie yu lozano&section=search

Notice fellow students did good deeds two times in this incident. So glad to see that.

I didn't follow closely the discussion a few weeks ago about mixing drugs, but I know there was one about uppers and downers. FWIW I overheard a conversation between two doctors the other day who were having a very animated conversation about a patient who had mixed heroine and Tylenol PM.

What really struck me about the Katie Sepich case was the way it seemed impossible for anyone but her BF who was a POI for many months to have done it - he actually had followed her home.... but didn't wait for her to get in - so the random perp only had minutes to grab her and get her into his small truck....

In an interview with the perp (IIRC it took years to finally get him) he mentioned that he was in the neighborhood looking to buy drugs when he spotted Katie walking - he followed her without being seen ...

Here again, I'm thinking of the neighborhood LS was in, could someone looking for drugs have spotter her? Laid low a bit, and grabbed her in just a few minutes time?

Yes, there are plenty of areas for a perp to lay low in that small area she supposedly traversed w/o video surveillance.

I know the case you are referring to. Yes, JW's attorney is the same. Here is a link. It is disturbing. There are several more stories on IDS.

This was not random though. They both were at a fraternity party together. Incredibly said that her parents did not attend the hearing.

http://www.idsnews.com/news/story.aspx?id=81954&search=howie yu lozano&section=search

Notice fellow students did good deeds two times in this incident. So glad to see that.

This is absolutely horrifying.

Thank you! Yes, no internet was both good and bad. I read a book almost straight through! But I did miss browsing and posting ...

Thanks for the link as well. I do see that it wasn't random. Something similar could have happened with LS, with someone offering to take her home and then attacking her. And yes, how sad that the young woman had no parental support. She was brave for following through. That's one blessing in LS' case. Her parents aren't going anywhere. But few good deeds from friends thus far ...

Going back to what you mentioned, and the link provided by Jupiter812 to
the story - reading that his sentence could be end up being reduced to around two years really is :pullhair:

Perps getting a light first sentence or plea bargaining down - only to strike again!

To bad judges/the law don't take into account the ultimate intentions of the perp - just because a victim survives, perp should be sentenced as if she hadn't.

Perhaps there's a perp out there who thanks to getting off lightly, has struck again, taking Lauren...

Funny, I brought this case up way back in June when these threads were new...
It was very similar, with the partying in both cases, Katie also left her phone and purse behind, etc...
Still...I think the window/distance was even smaller here for Lauren to be grabbed by a stranger. And all of Katie's other friends cooperated, if I remember correctly. Only the BF behaved like a jerk IMO. He did look guilty, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Websleuth0000