17 yo Trayvon Martin Shot to Death by Neighborhood Watch Captain #16

Status
Not open for further replies.
BBM

I don't believe hurting feelings teaches a lesson.

I do.

It teaches them how hurt feelings feel. Because I'm sure what they did caused hurt feelings to the chubby child.

IMO kids are too coddled these days.

IMO stating a spray with a hose is abusive is a good example of why.

JMO

BREAKING NEWS!!! I am going to be an AUNTIE again!! I am so EXCITED!!

The garden hose was our favorite pass-time during the summer when I was little. I probably spent every day being blasted for hours to get a break from the smoldering Texas heat. Not once did I get so much as a skinned knee.

Great childhood memory with family and friends around I'd imagine--I still like playing with the hose on a hot day too but for fun not to teach someone a lesson. There's a vast difference. IMVHO

from the home of "Live Free or Die" comes the case of the hose spraying roomate who was charged with "simple assault". She got off...BUT before anyone starts congratulating GZ it's important to note the content of the defense attorney's argument which was based upon "implied consent". Since I don't think GZ was well acquainted with the child in question his defense is somewhat more murky and may need a new and novel argument base upon....something I can't think of right now...

During closing arguments, Fleming told the court there was "implied consent" between the platonic roommates as a result of their three-year domestic arrangement, which countered the police claim of "unprivileged contact."

"Among individuals who are friends, the act of spraying someone with a hose is not a criminal offense," he said.

OK, I have to admit this whole subject made me laugh and I hope it makes someone else laugh too. While I find spraying unknown children with a hose is not likely to result in improved behavior or teach, perhaps, the right lesson, "he with the hose wins?", I would not recommend incarceration either. Everything is so heated here right now that I hope we can all agree to a good cooling off and acknowledgment that we all wish there was only a hose involved here. And, if anyone's offended by this lame effort I apologize!

http://www.seacoastonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20100113/NEWS/1130375/-1/NEWSMAP

YES, it is not YOUR job to discipline those children. If you were spraying my child I would have you arrested!

Read the entire line of posts, she was talking about spraying children not related to her riding "past" her yard on the public sidewalk or street as punishment and retaliation, not children IN her yard playing around. BIG difference and that is comparing grapes to watermelons.

They were on their way next door to throw rotten eggs at an elderly couple's home. Do you think I should be arrested for that too?

They have brought it up and the voice analyst carefully explained that while at one time it was important to try to get similar words or tone of voice to compare.....it is no longer necessary due to the extreme advances in scientific and computer technology that were not available at earlier times. This kind of analysis has been done for nearly a century. Therefore, what was once needed to make a clear delineation can now be done quite accurately by computer and spectrographic comparisons that are much more precise. He also ran comparative checks to dozens of other voices with the screaming to rule out any false negatives etc.

So he says. How does him ruling false negatives means anything considering he hasn't matched that voice to anyone?

They have brought it up and the voice analyst carefully explained that while at one time it was important to try to get similar words or tone of voice to compare.....it is no longer necessary due to the extreme advances in scientific and computer technology that were not available at earlier times. This kind of analysis has been done for nearly a century. Therefore, what was once needed to make a clear delineation can now be done quite accurately by computer and spectrographic comparisons that are much more precise. He also ran comparative checks to dozens of other voices with the screaming to rule out any false negatives etc.

Plus....the government uses it and has for years. One of the reports stated it was explained to him a voice print is like a fingerprint, both have patterns consistent with that one individual. jmo

And that would be up to the PARENTS of the bullied child, not some unrelated busy body neighbor. That would also be the correct, LEGAL way to handle the situation.

So, basically if you see a child being bullied, you are just going to walk on by, since it's up to the parents to do anything? Not your problem, not your business?

GZ wasn't doing it for "fun"/to cool the kids down. He used the hose as an assault, and legal charges can be pursued.

I'm going to bite on that one.

If I were a cop, and I got called away from my busy shift to deal with some mother whose bullying child was crying about being squirted by the neighbor man in his own yard, I would probably ticket them for misuse of the police force, the way you ticket someone who calls 911 from McDonalds to complain they were overcharged for their hamburger.

Some things are just not worth police time. If that kid really can't bear being squirted with a garden hose, best to stay out of GZ's earshot if he plans to bully fat kids.

The garden hose was our favorite pass-time during the summer when I was little. I probably spent every day being blasted for hours to get a break from the smoldering Texas heat. Not once did I get so much as a skinned knee.

Playing with a hose or being sprayed unexpectedly while you ride your bike down the rode (even worse in a group) are two different things.IMO

I read something on here the other day about there being an ignore feature, can someone please tell me how to use it?

I do. Bullies are prideful and they see themselves as superior. I think knocking them down a peg or two, NON VIOLENTLY, is fine. Imo letting them see how it FEELS to be embarrassed is teaching them a valuable lesson. imoo

So it's okay to bully if you are taking down another bully OR someone you perceive to be a bully?

Maybe they thought teasing the chubby kid would hurt his feelings and make him want to change (ie. lose weight)?

We're definitely going to have to agree to disagree.

I do.

It teaches them how hurt feelings feel. Because I'm sure what they did caused hurt feelings to the chubby child.

IMO kids are too coddled these days.

IMO stating a spray with a hose is abusive is a good example of why.

JMO

THANK YOU. What is so abusive about some water from a garden hose pointed towards middle schoolers on bikes. Geeezz. No wonder so many kids are out of control these days. If people seriously think that I should be arrested for spraying water on kids who are going after a chubby kid and bullying him---wow. I am astonished. And I guess I am a bad fit.

I read something on here the other day about there being an ignore feature, can someone please tell me how to use it?

I believe if you click on a person's name and then view their profile, there's a link to the side that allows you to add them to your ignore list. This will keep you from viewing their posts, but they will still be able to view yours. And I believe they will not be able to PM you.

ETA: It's under the "user lists" dialogue in the public profile of the user you want to ignore.

Go to UserCP on the top of the page, then in left menu is edit ignore, enter name and make sure to save.

LOL.....doesn't that qualify as "bombshell"?????

YES! I have two nieces!! One is 17-years old... one is 7-years-old... This is our boy!! I know it!! This is Ethan Andrew! The boy our family has been waiting for for almost 30 years! My sister is PREGNANT!! Sorry, everyone... I am SO EXCITED!! I know this is a BOY!! I know it!

So he says. How does him ruling false negatives means anything considering he hasn't matched that voice to anyone?

It's a part of a routine verification procedure to confirm that the program is working correctly.... in simple terms.....

jmo

If the majority of KNOWN burgularies are by Black youngsters...and the other are undetermined (could be Black or not) ...that means that ALL known burgularies were by Black young men. Maybe some or all of the others are too.

But what GZ Had to go on...was all SOLVED cases were Black youngsters. ALL SOLVED CASES> 100%. Therefore it's not profiling. It's factual common sense to watch an stranger in that demographic.
No that is the "black swan fallacy":
In work beginning in the 1930s, {Karl} Popper gave falsifiability a renewed emphasis as a criterion of empirical statements in science.

Popper noticed that two types of statements are of particular value to scientists.

The first are statements of observations, such as "there is a white swan." Logicians call these statements singular existential statements, since they assert the existence of some particular thing. They are equivalent to a predicate calculus statement of the form: There exists an x such that x is a swan, and x is white.

The second are statements that categorize all instances of something, such as "all swans are white". Logicians call these statements universal. They are usually parsed in the form: For all x, if x is a swan, then x is white. Scientific laws are commonly supposed to be of this type. One difficult question in the methodology of science is: How does one move from observations to laws? How can one validly infer a universal statement from any number of existential statements?

Inductivist methodology supposed that one can somehow move from a series of singular existential statements to a universal statement. That is, that one can move from 'this is a white swan', 'that is a white swan', and so on, to a universal statement such as 'all swans are white'. This method is clearly deductively invalid, since it is always possible that there may be a non-white swan that has eluded observation (and, in fact, the discovery of the Australian black swan demonstrated the deductive invalidity of this particular statement).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falsifiability#Two_types_of_statements:_observational_and_categorical

BBM

In other words, just because a sample of a population consists of only one type of item, you cannot logically conclude that all of that population is identical to your sample. The unknown is unknown and you can't make a solid conclusion based on that.

So just because the only burglars caught during that period of breakins were black young males, there is no way to be sure that all the burglaries were committed by black young men. Maybe the only reason only black young men were caught is that was the only type of person considered suspicious.

And that is a self fulfilling prophecy - "All burglars are black young men, so we will only look for black young men as suspects." So of course, no white, hispanic, Asian men, or women of any race, or people of any age other than young will ever be caught as burglars because no one is looking for them.

THAT is the problem with profiling - it blinds you to other possibilities.

So it's okay to bully if you are taking down another bully OR someone you perceive to be a bully?

Maybe they thought teasing the chubby kid would hurt his feelings and make him want to change?

We're definitely going to have to agree to disagree.

Really? Now we are going to advocate bullying of chubby people to make them want to change?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ceishen637