17 yo Trayvon Martin Shot to Death by Neighborhood Watch Captain #16

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do.

It teaches them how hurt feelings feel. Because I'm sure what they did caused hurt feelings to the chubby child.

IMO kids are too coddled these days.

IMO stating a spray with a hose is abusive is a good example of why.

JMO

Would you hurt your child's feelings to get them to behave?
Call your child a fatty to get them to stop eating so much?
Tell a girl she looks like a *advertiser censored* in order to get her to dress differently?

I just think there's a more appropriate way for a reasonable adult. IMO

no you don't walk by,you get the kids parents involved.

I totally agree. A reasonable adult would explain why the behavior is wrong. There really is nothing wrong with trying to talk out problems instead of reacting in any sort of physical way. All JMO

YES! I have two nieces!! One is 17-years old... one is 7-years-old... This is our boy!! I know it!! This is Ethan Andrew! The boy our family has been waiting for for almost 30 years! My sister is PREGNANT!! Sorry, everyone... I am SO EXCITED!! I know this is a BOY!! I know it!

Aww, how sweet. If it's a girl you'll love her just the same. Could name her: Edith Ann!

I think if you spray bullies with water, you just end up with wet bullies. And, all you have done is sunk to the level of the bullies. JMHO.

A grown man should not be spraying children with water to get them to stop a behavior. An adult should know better. Illegal or not, it is a childish thing to do. Again, JMHO.

Linas, what if everyone did that? What if every time there was a disagreement in a neighborhood, or someone saw a child acting up, they called the police? Can you imagine the chaos? I can't imagine calling a non emergency police number to report kids calling another kid names.

It's like we, as a society, have totally abdicated our power and ability to handle life's little bumps along the way.
I was referring to Katy's post about her neighborhood kids about to egg an old lady's house- that I would definitely call in, I was not talking about calling the police for bullying- but I was bullied for 3 years straight (not because I was chubby), and my life was a living h*ll!!

C. We don't need you to do that, but you are within your rights to do so and it is not illegal.

So when a hostage negotiator says, "I need you to lay your gun on the floor and come out with your hands up," it isn't a command, it's just an idle suggestion?

And when a policeman at a protest said to me and others, "I need you to step behind the barrier and not obstruct the entrance to the building," obedience was optional?

I'm not saying that GZ's continued pursuit of TM was illegal. (Florida's stalking law emphasizes "repeated" actions.) But it's ridiculous to pretend GZ didn't understand what was being requested of him.

Well, my DH did have the hose in his hand when he first saw them sneaking up with their eggs. Spraying them was an impulsive decision but it worked great. And LE came out that night to talk to the kids. And guess what---we were NOT arrested nor scolded or warned by LE. They thanked us for calling them. So I guess spraying middle schoolers is not a crime.

To revert to juvenile behavior just reinforces bully tactics in youths.

Well, my DH did have the hose in his hand when he first saw them sneaking up with their eggs. Spraying them was an impulsive decision but it worked great. And LE came out that night to talk to the kids. And guess what---we were NOT arrested nor scolded or warned by LE. They thanked us for calling them. So I guess spraying middle schoolers is not a crime.
But did LE know that your husband had sprayed the kids before LE came? Think they would have thanked you for doing that??? I don't.

Tell a girl she looks like a *advertiser censored* in order to get her to dress differently?

ABSOLUTELY.

"Your behavior was so miserable in that store I am embarrassed to be in there with you. Did you see how everyone was staring at you?"

"If you continue to behave like you did today with your friend, you won't have a friend willing to come over anymore. NO ONE wants to be around someone who is such a sore loser and a sore winner".

etc.

And I think telling a girl she is not going out of the house looking like a prostitute (or a slob) is not a bad thing to say at all, if it's true. Why do we think that's a bad thing? It's not like saying I hate you, you *advertiser censored*. It's saying you will not go out of this house disrespecting yourself by dressing like that.

If the Martin's have TM's voice on a recent tape, IMO the FBI has it and has already done their tests so the Martin's may be waiting to hear from the FBI that it is okay to release them. jmo

I think that was what he was referring to, that he couldn't really state on network news.....that the family had no obligation to allow him or CNN to analyze the voice for the public to know about right now, and that they might not be allowed to do that by the SA, even if they wanted to do so.

jmo

Really? Now we are going to advocate bullying of chubby people to make them want to change?

Don't think I said that. LOL
Not even close.

But if hurt feelings will teach a lesson, perhaps that's what the bullies thought.

Kinda sounds silly to me too.

JMO

But, isn't that at least 50% of the outrage? That the SPD mishandled the entire shooting?

This is just so obvious. I've given up arguing the point. Some people are just hellbent on defending the killer GZ, even if it means criticizing LE.

Only if the parents chose to press charges. And they could have. jmo

I don't see a vast difference at all.

It means, that being squirted by a hose isn't very aversive. it's a little startling, a little eeks chilly, but mostly people do it for pleasure.

The thing itself isn't aversive. it's mildly surprising.

Recently there is a new product on the market for barking dogs. it's a collar that has a water squirter on it - when the dog barks, it gets a squirt of water in the face from the collar. it's considered very humane and such a clever relief from the old shock collars - and it's marketed that way. The dog barks, then acck a little bit of water.

Smacking me on the rear isn't aversive if my husband does it, but it sure wouldn't be welcomed by a stranger. LOL

I believe if you click on a person's name and then view their profile, there's a link to the side that allows you to add them to your ignore list. This will keep you from viewing their posts, but they will still be able to view yours. And I believe they will not be able to PM you.

ETA: It's under the "user lists" dialogue in the public profile of the user you want to ignore.

You'll also still see the ignored post if another posters quotes it.

But nobody is saying the things you are using as examples. I am just saying that when a gang of bullies on bikes is riding around the neighborhood, feeling all puffed up, looking for the chubby kid so they can hassle him, IMO, there is nothing wrong with sidetracking them, non-violently.

Hurt feelings are not the end of the world. IMO, kids should have their feelings 'hurt' when they are doing something mean and hurtful themselves. They need to be called out on it.

And everyone says to talk to their parents. I agree that is the best option. But it is not always that effective, and often not helpful at all.

I don't see a vast difference at all.

It means, that being squirted by a hose isn't very aversive. it's a little startling, a little eeks chilly, but mostly people do it for pleasure.

The thing itself isn't aversive. it's mildly surprising.

Recently there is a new product on the market for barking dogs. it's a collar that has a water squirter on it - when the dog barks, it gets a squirt of water in the face from the collar. it's considered very humane and such a clever relief from the old shock collars - and it's marketed that way. The dog barks, then acck a little bit of water.

I guess what I'm trying to say is playing around with a hose with your family and friends is entirely different than hosing someone as a punishment. I really don't have much more to offer than my opinion. Dogs are a lot different than kids too so really have no further comment. ALL JMO

Did they thank you for spraying the kids?
Just asking because I'm really curious? lol

Aww, how sweet. If it's a girl you'll love her just the same. Could name her: Edith Ann!

Oh, there is already a name for a little girl... Isabella. I really would LOVE another little girl, but I have never been wrong. This one is Ethan. I know it!

ETA: My grandmother's name was Edith.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member