LA - ***ARREST*** Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette, 19 May 2012 #35

Status
Not open for further replies.
I respect your opinion and you are probably right.

But facts being facts... The Chief said 'maybe' he was out looking for a victim. Being a sex offender that is the first thing you would think of course but it still was stated as fact.

I don't know that I think he was intoxicated but I think it's a possibility we cannot rule out.

No we cannot rule it out but I don't understand why so much emphasis is being put on the being drunk and it was a hit and run just as far fetched as the it was Mickey under the truck. Also would you be able to link where LE said maybe to him out looking? It just doesn't seem possible that the LE would say maybe, it would just start rumours which I think could possibly jeopardize thee case. Thanks:)

No we cannot rule it out but I don't understand why so much emphasis is being put on the being drunk and it was a hit and run just as far fetched as the it was Mickey under the truck. Also would you be able to link where LE said maybe to him out looking? It just doesn't seem possible that the LE would say maybe, it would just start rumours which I think could possibly jeopardize thee case. Thanks:)

It is on the video and in the press conference transcripts.

I don't know that so much emphasis is really put into the theories of Mickey or the bike being under the truck or that he was intoxicated and it was an accident. It is simply members stating their opinions in what they believe happened. It may seem like such an emphasis is put on it because so many want to silence those opinions because they are not the majority i guess. I do not mean you specifically.

Since we cannot rule a lot of things out I don't see the harm in people sharing an opinion or keeping their mind open to different possibilities.

No we cannot rule it out but I don't understand why so much emphasis is being put on the being drunk and it was a hit and run just as far fetched as the it was Mickey under the truck.
Also would you be able to link where LE said maybe to him out looking? It just doesn't seem possible that the LE would say maybe,
it would just start rumours which I think could possibly jeopardize thee case. Thanks:)

"Lafayette Police made it clear that it is believed that Mickey Shunick is dead, and the man suspected of killing her — Brandon Scott Lavergne — was “looking for someone to victimize” when he picked her up."
http://cajunradio.net/details-on-br...sappearance-coming-in-press-conference-today/
ETA
It also says this... same article...
1:12 p.m. — Craft says Lavergne may “have been looking for someone to victimize” when he picked up Shunick. There is no bond on the first-degree murder charge. Will be held in Lafayette Parish Correctional Center.

BBM:

http://www.fox8live.com/story/18967112/lafae?clienttype=printable

Asked about a motive, Chief Craft said simply, "He's a sex offender."

"I think that, based on the information we have and the vehicle was seen in the area, you can see it on the video, maybe he was riding around looking for someone to victimize."

I don't buy into this being any kind of accident.

Maybe he was "trolling" for a victim or maybe it was just a crime of opportunity. I'm leaning towards the latter - BSL was driving along, saw Mickey, and sadly took advantage of the situation.

I vote for number 3.

I see only three scenarios to place HIM at WB:

1. Blood/DNA evidence or fingerprints - HIS blood/DNA evidence or fingerprints.

2. His cell-phone pings.

3. LE is being sloppy with the language (as many folk are here in south Louisana), and are really meaning to say that they can place the TRUCK there.

Re: #1 - It rained pretty hard a few days after the disappearance - I'd think that blood drops would be pretty hard to find. That said, the area directly under the bridge may have stayed dry. The storm, IIRC, was quick - didn't linger overlong.

:banghead:

Just wonder if LE checked his father's house since he was in the hospital when all this happened.

His father lives in Texas in the opposite direction of New Orleans. Highly unlikely he brought Mickey there and then drove all the way to New Orleans.

Do you know where the DWI checkpoint was? Thanks!

I think people think he could have been drunk because it wana 2 am on a Saturday morning...

There was a Dwi checkpoint on Johnston (main drag)

If he hit her on accident drunkenness is a good reason to want to run or sober up.....especially with his record he did time Ans didn't wana go back more so he had more reason to want to avoid any legal troubles or fear of le than most people

And the obvious....drunkenness affects impulse control and decision making abilities.

Drinking and dwi are quite common in Louisiana....

He was an offshore worker....and it kinds of fits the stereotype if they drink ...

Uhhhh...

More than most people do. Lol

All moo

IMO. He is not a monster or a predator. I think he made a mistake about who he chose to cheat with and it ruined his reputation and entire life. IMO he has not had any other victims. IMO he's not a serial killer arsonist or rapist. IMO he didn't stalk Mickey. IMO he had an accident and he panicked. And these are all only my opinions and if I am wrong so be it....But all the rumors and wild speculation are not going to get us anywhere.IMO...FOR EVERY RUMOR ONE COMES UP WITH THERE IS AT LEAST ONE TO DISPELL IT.MOO

Respectfully snipped and bolded by me.

Say you're correct and BSL was wrongfully accused and convicted of the criminal sexual allegations and he hasn't had any victims before Mickey. IF he's responsible for her disappearance and it's because he panicked to cover up a horrible accident, that still makes him a monster. A normal, rational person doesn't discard of another human being like trash. They don't cause this type of turmoil for a family. They try to make the situation right by getting their victim the help they need, potentially saving their life. Evidence is pointing to Mickey fighting like hell, thus the superficial stab wounds he sought treatment for. Nothing about that says "accident." It all points to cold-blooded murder, IMO. He got what he wanted then discarded her. :moo:

What is so odd about BSL making a contribution at church? Many others put money in offering baskets weekly. Does anyone question their motives? Most people I know DO make a contribution when they go to church.

Another article from today's Advertiser:

http://www.theadvertiser.com/article/20120715/NEWS01/207150334/Troubles-follow-suspect

Truck as evidence
We've had it for a while and we have had a lab processing the vehicle," he said.

Lavergne bought a nearly identical truck June 4 from Don's Wholesale on Johnston Street in Lafayette, The Daily Advertiser learned last week.

The Daily Advertiser confirmed last week that Lavergne owns two properties on Constantine Road in Lafayette Parish in the Duson area. Lafayette Police Public Information Officer Cpl. Paul Mouton said that property has been checked by police in their search for Shunick.

Lavergne attended the church off and on for a few months and then stopped coming, Singley said.
On June 4, Lavergne resurfaced at the Crowley church.
"He made a contribution. I talked to him briefly after our service," Singley said.

Respectfully snipped and bolded by me.

Say you're correct and BSL was wrongfully accused and convicted of the criminal sexual allegations and he hasn't had any victims before Mickey. IF he's responsible for her disappearance and it's because he panicked to cover up a horrible accident, that still makes him a monster. A normal, rational person doesn't discard of another human being like trash. They don't cause this type of turmoil for a family. They try to make the situation right by getting their victim the help they need, potentially saving their life. Evidence is pointing to Mickey fighting like hell, thus the superficial stab wounds he sought treatment for. Nothing about that says "accident." It all points to cold-blooded murder, IMO. He got what he wanted then discarded her. :moo:
I agree one hundred percent with you but I really feel trying to live down that initial IMO unfair rso status may have prompted him or motivated him to try to hide or cover up a mistake like dwi or accident that may have hurt Mickey so bad he felt he had killed her (knocked out....bleeding bad....etc) and he didn't want to go BACK to jail.
And I said before ..... I speculate he could have wanted to bring her to the hospital but just for example if he had just one or two drinks he would be worried he'd fail the breathalizer.....so I speculate he thought he'd drive for a while to sober up. IMO mi key could have been confused, knocked out or passed out and when she woke up was so scared and went ape ****... or she could have been awake and realized whoa he's not taking me home or a hospital. And went ape ****

AND AGAIN IF SHE WAS ABLE BODIED ENOUGH TO FIGHT BACK....
HOWD HE GET HER INTO THE TRUCK???? BIKE BELONGINGS AND ALL..
WITHOUT HER KICKING HIS WINDOWS OUT AND SCREAMING???
UNLESS SHE HOT IN THE TRUCK WILLINGLY?

IMO ABSOLUTELY NOTHING POINTS TO COLD BLOODED KILLER.....IMO THE ONLY THING THAT COULD CAUSE YOU TO THINK THAT OS HEARING AND READING AND CHOOSING TO BELIEVE RUMORS ABOUT BSL'S PAST...

IMO ABSOLUTELY NOTHING POINTS TO COLD BLOODED KILLER.....IMO THE ONLY THING THAT COULD CAUSE YOU TO THINK THAT OS HEARING AND READING AND CHOOSING TO BELIEVE RUMORS ABOUT BSL'S PAST...

I think she either got into the truck willingly after he "accidentally" bumped her bike or she was rendered unconscious/too injured to fight him as he loaded her into his vehicle. Then, later, as she realized what was really happening or came to from her injuries is when she started fighting for her life. All JMO, of course.

And as far as him being a cold-blooded killer, I stick by that statement. Anyone who causes or contributes to the death of another human being in a malicious manner is cold-blooded, IMO. There's nothing warm and fuzzy about causing the death of another person, ESPECIALLY if you go to great lengths to cover it up. Cold blooded & heartless.

]"Lafayette Police made it clear that it is believed that Mickey Shunick is dead, and the man suspected of killing her — Brandon Scott Lavergne — was “looking for someone to victimize” when he picked her up."[/B]
http://cajunradio.net/details-on-br...sappearance-coming-in-press-conference-today/
ETA
It also says this... same article...
1:12 p.m. — Craft says Lavergne may “have been looking for someone to victimize” when he picked up Shunick. There is no bond on the first-degree murder charge. Will be held in Lafayette Parish Correctional Center.

Respectfully BBM (plus turned red...lol) AND PLEASE DON'T BE UPSET WITH ME :blushing:

While they stopped short of saying so, Lafayette Police made it clear that it is believed that Mickey Shunick is dead, and the man suspected of killing her — Brandon Scott Lavergne — was “looking for someone to victimize” when he picked her up.

These first 7 words of the article make a huge difference in the meaning of your quoted text. In addition the context at the beginning of the article is not a "quoted" statement from LE. It is the authors own take on the presser that day. These are the little things that confuse the heck out of me. :banghead:
When I first read your post...I was thinking LE was talking out both sides of their mouths. (and that would NEVER happen! JK)

:desert: <~~~ OT: I HAVE to add this guy to my signature. Too cute!

I agree one hundred percent with you but I really feel trying to live down that initial IMO unfair rso status may have prompted him or motivated him to try to hide or cover up a mistake like dwi or accident that may have hurt Mickey so bad he felt he had killed her (knocked out....bleeding bad....etc) and he didn't want to go BACK to jail.
And I said before ..... I speculate he could have wanted to bring her to the hospital but just for example if he had just one or two drinks he would be worried he'd fail the breathalizer.....so I speculate he thought he'd drive for a while to sober up. IMO mi key could have been confused, knocked out or passed out and when she woke up was so scared and went ape ****... or she could have been awake and realized whoa he's not taking me home or a hospital. And went ape ****

I'm interested to hear why you think bsl isn't a cold blooded killer, it's very different from my opinion and alot of others I have read. I can however say that the rumours don't make me think that his actions after the murder and that he is not cooperating with LE makes me think that. Not here to attack just interested in hearing your reasoning and opinions

I think she either got into the truck willingly after he "accidentally" bumped her bike or she was rendered unconscious/too injured to fight him as he loaded her into his vehicle. Then, later, as she realized what was really happening or came to from her injuries is when she started fighting for her life. All JMO, of course.

And as far as him being a cold-blooded killer, I stick by that statement. Anyone who causes or contributes to the death of another human being in a malicious manner is cold-blooded, IMO. There's nothing warm and fuzzy about causing the death of another person, ESPECIALLY if you go to great lengths to cover it up. Cold blooded & heartless.
Well I agree about the whole hiding her thing.....that's cold blooded...you're right nothing warm and fuzzy about it but all these theories about he is responsible for more missing people and unsolved murders and Parsons and graverobbing and all stalking her and it being sexually motivated and he hit her on purpose to rape her .....IMO that's just BS.

I think he hit her on accident and tried to very selfishly cover his own behind to avoid getting in trouble and either let her die or killed her in a selfish attempt to cover his own behind....pretty cold blooded.

I think it started off as a mistake or accident and escalated. I think it was one bad decision that turned into another even worse one and then another worse than that and at some point he realized there is no turning back without being in even bigger trouble than he would have been in for dwi or hitting someone on a bike....
Moo

I'm interested to hear why you think bsl isn't a cold blooded killer, it's very different from my opinion and alot of others I have read. I can however say that the rumours don't make me think that his actions after the murder and that he is not cooperating with LE makes me think that. Not here to attack just interested in hearing your reasoning and opinions

I think that he and his lawyers are betting on and hoping for whatever you call it when there is not enough evidence....IMO at this point he is following the advice of his state appointed lawyer. Which IMO makes the state appointed lawyer just as cold blooded as he is moo

I think that he and his lawyers are betting on and hoping for whatever you call it when there is not enough evidence....IMO at this point he is following the advice of his state appointed lawyer. Which IMO makes the state appointed lawyer just as cold blooded as he is moo

Yes I agree that they are hoping for there not to be enough evidence. However I don't think it's fair to call the lawyer cold blooded, he/she is doing their job which is to defend their client I don't think it's fair that they be scrutinized in the public eye. Defensive lawyers don't always support their clients or agree with them.

Right now it seems as if all of the evidence released to the public is purely circumstantial. There's nothing that definitively places BSL with MS and killing her. I'm sure they have good forensic & DNA evidence, but are keeping it under wraps until trial, so they don't jeopardize anything.

Right now it seems as if all of the evidence released to the public is purely circumstantial. There's nothing that definitively places BSL with MS and killing her. I'm sure they have good forensic & DNA evidence, but are keeping it under wraps until trial, so they don't jeopardize anything.

That article from a few pages ago said they made sure they had enough evidence and also said they know where alot of his whereabouts and can fill in gaps where people are asking questions, that's a good sign I hope lol

Aussie girl my point to you is that if you really are from Australia you might not realize exactly how big a role alcohol plays in the nearly daily lives of people around here.....dwis alcohol related fatalities and accidents are pretty much an epidemic around here. Personally it disgusts me but drunkenness underage drinking and driving under the influence are really really common here. People from all surrounding areas go to Lafayette to party. Its the nearest college town.if there is any kind of vehicle accident involving 2 cars it is more likely than not alcohol related. Especially at 2 a.m....so IMO same rule would apply to car hitting a bike as well.

Add to that the panic
poor decision making
Fear of consequences that would be IMO
greater for bsl than most
Impulse control problems
All amplified by alcohol

IMO alcohol being involved is likely

Moo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics