LA - ***ARREST*** Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette, 19 May 2012 #36

Status
Not open for further replies.
Out of curiosity with so many folks with white z71 Silverado trucks in the area that look indentical, how did they ever link that particular truck in the pic to BSL? I don't recall seeing the license plate or the driver. Was there some other identifier that led them to Lavergne? I just don't remember this being answered.

I wish I knew how close his gf lived to his mobile home. if it was far away and she had her kids that night, then I think he may have felt comfortable taking her to his home. That area under the home interests me.

But if she lived close, and was used to popping by, then I doubt he brought Mickey back to his home.

Or, they were broken up
Or, he told her he was out of town
Or, he was mad at her and told her to stay away
Or, he had assaulted her in some way (like his ex wife reported against
herself) and she (g/f) was afraid of harm to herself and/or her children

Out of curiosity with so many folks with white z71 Silverado trucks in the area that look indentical, how did they ever link that particular truck in the pic to BSL? I don't recall seeing the license plate or the driver. Was there some other identifier that led them to Lavergne? I just don't remember this being answered.

LE must have pictures that we haven't seen. Plus they have the FBI involved and they can do amazing things with pictures as far as refining them.

Or she had too much pressure from her family
Or she was sick of him?

I think Mickey's sister would probably know if she carried protection, other than her mace. I will be interested to see if the "expert" who said she was known to carry a box cutter replies as to his source...I have a feeling he picked it up via SM or the rumor mill. JMO

Perhaps her keys were enough to make wounds on BSL....'just speculating....

As you recall, a white Chevy Silverado, possibly a model Z-71, was identified as a vehicle of interest after surveillance video was released; Showing Mickey riding her bike at the same time the truck was headed down St. Landry. Police say that truck was Lavergne's and he was driving.

From this link: http://www.katc.com/news/lavergne-s-truck-found-burned-in-texas/

Main point is this. Did he have unrestricted access to his home? No witnesses? Nobody coming over?
After all, his Dad was in the hospital.
And this would have been after 2:00 a.m.
Just trying to figure out what and where.
We need to find her!
She apparently fought like the dickens! Let's keep up that fight!

KKDJ
Those are all good options. But some of them would still be 'iffy' in terms of him feeling comfortable bringing a rape victim or a dead body into his home. I mean if he had just broken up, or said stay away, or she had pressure from her family, even with all that, she might have decided to 'surprise' him and come over and work it out. They were supposedly engaged and had been together for 8 months so it was pretty serious.

I don't think that was the major crime scene. But I might be wrong. I just feel like he might have taken her into the woods somewhere or on a dark back road and did the evil deed there.

Also, he seems like a guy who likes to travel. Texas for his truck dumping, Whiskey Bay for the bike, Another area all together for his hospital visit, and the mention Of NO for his 'assault.' That makes me feel like he traveled a bit with her as well. I think the main crime scene was inside his truck.

I know it's all iffy, but arent these the questions re "if" he would have been brazen enough to bring her to his home?
LE called his home a "major crime scene" so I think of it as a "major crime scene."
Major Crime Scene. Gets my attention for sure!
There could be more than one though, right?
Pretty suspicious about his burned up stolen truck too. Oh! And his injuries too! On the very same day she was abducted!
And we can bet there's more to come!

We have a very diverse group of posters on this thread with various expertise, life experience, and some that have closely followed many high profile cases for years and even decades..

Can anyone remember a Change of Venue being granted in any of the cases since the DC Sniper case, other than the Casey Anthony trial?

***snipped by redroedfrog

Stacey Ian Humphreys trial was not as high profile, but, he did get enough publicity to win a change of venue.

Finding:
http://www.gasupreme.us/sc-op/pdf/s09p1428.pdf

News article:
http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/guilty-humphreys-facing-death-sentence/nFDMB/

Just reading the report from the hospital and the report from LPD about the burned truck....and a question arose. BSL said that his GPS was broken and that was why he stopped for directions. However, supposedly, there was no GPS unit in the truck found burned in San Jacinto, TX. Do we know why the discrepancy? Or is the whole 'my GPS was broken' all a part of his cover-up story?

Just reading the report from the hospital and the report from LPD about the burned truck....and a question arose. BSL said that his GPS was broken and that was why he stopped for directions. However, supposedly, there was no GPS unit in the truck found burned in San Jacinto, TX. Do we know why the discrepancy? Or is the whole 'my GPS was broken' all a part of his cover-up story?

He was lying. Made up story. Eluding suspicion

One of the links we had very early this morning said they linked it through a tip -- I copied that statement in the last thread. Hold on, and I will see if I can't find it ... (and will ETA if I do).

ETA: Here it is, at this link: http://www.theadvertiser.com/article/20120715/NEWS01/207150334/Troubles-follow-suspect

Lavergne bought a nearly identical truck June 4 from Don's Wholesale on Johnston Street in Lafayette, The Daily Advertiser learned last week.

Ten days later, a police tip linked Lavergne to the white pickup in the surveillance video.
Kinda also made me wonder if maybe there was an eyewitness to place BSL at WB -- as in, someone was with him (besides possibly Mickey, I mean.) I know that LE has basically said that they don't expect to make any more arrests in the case (as in article linked below), but ... that doesn't necessarily mean someone else might not have been around for at least part of what happened (especially, in my mind, if this DID begin as an accident). If there was someone else, LE might be dealing with that person in exchange for their testimony. Just a thought.

There was no one with Lavergne when he was arrested, and Craft said that while several people have been questioned throughout the investigation, no other arrests are expected.
http://www.theadvertiser.com/article/20120715/NEWS01/207150336/Craft-We-don-t-know-where-she-he-does?odyssey=mod|mostview

*(The quote just above is from the sidebar at left on page 1 of the main article just linked.)

JMO but I think BSL might get a change of venue if only to prevent it coming up on appeal later.

I'm not sure failure to get a change of venue can be appealed. I think appellate issues arise during the trial, not before.

Any legal scholars out there who can address this?

JMO but I think BSL might get a change of venue if only to prevent it coming up on appeal later.

If he is found guilty ESP if it is a death penalty sentence, there will be appeals...change of venue or not. I do not know about Louisiana law, but, in some states there are mandatory appeals for death penalty cases.

I have a gps, but, it is a removable unit. It could have been removed before the truck was set on fire.

I thought LE said they were treating his home as a major crime scene...not that it was one. Does anyone have the quote handy?

I don't think she was ever there, but I guess we will find out someday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kaleyilene01