LA - ***ARREST*** Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette, 19 May 2012 #37

Status
Not open for further replies.
Imo, a sequestered jury would more than likely be ordered by the Judge in BSL's Death penalty trial/s which would nullify any additional expense from importing jurors from elsewhere.

The States Justice Systems are continuously looking for cost cutting measures as their budgets decline. Importing jurors is one of these measures. There is precedent as of late in LA for the importing of jurors..
DP trials are very expensive and have actually darn near bankrupted many smaller municipalities.

Again, there has been much higher profile serial killer cases in LA, than BSL's and the change of venue motion was denied. Serial Killer DTL's was only one..

An aware, informed, & educated juror pool is not a cause for change of venue.

'The sky is falling; change of venue arguement is simply a way of justifying silence in an investigation, imo'..

"Silence is the predator's most lethal weapon"..

It's a fine line, isn't it, balancing the defendant's right to a fair trial, and his right to a jury of his peers.

Busing some jurors in from Arkansas might help him get a fairer trial, but they would not be his peers, IMO.

So much of justice is a balancing act.

You all probably will think I'm nuts but I cannot let go of me thinking that BSL was in TENN. and took Holly Bobo: BSL wore fatigues. I'm probably way off but my gut and mind just keeps going there. I don't know why.

No, it's not nuts! It would be a shocker though...

I would think BSL would have been noticed in Darden, Tennessee if he was simply a stranger passing thru...

But if he had a friend or relative in the area, that would cast things in a different light.

The who took Holly was aware of turkey hunting and the cameo clothing locals used. Also, the rural/remoteness of where she lived points to someone familiar with the area..

Also, just for reference, I wouldn't trust anything that Busted in Acadiana posts. They may be correct about some stuff, but they aren't respected for the most part. So take what they say with a grain of salt, or less if possible. JMO.

Is this the same Busted in Acadiana which was run by the goofball who was arrested a while back for online harassment/stalking or whatever, and who was scamming on people?

Imo, a sequestered jury would more than likely be ordered by the Judge in BSL's Death penalty trial/s which would nullify any additional expense from importing jurors from elsewhere.

The States Justice Systems are continuously looking for cost cutting measures as their budgets decline. Importing jurors is one of these measures. There is precedent as of late in LA for the importing of jurors..
DP trials are very expensive and have actually darn near bankrupted many smaller municipalities.

Again, there has been much higher profile serial killer cases in LA, than BSL's and the change of venue motion was denied. Serial Killer DTL's was only one..

An aware, informed, & educated juror pool is not a cause for change of venue.

BBM.

I agree. I said before, and some here misconstrued that I wanted to be on the jury, that I think I could do a good, fair job. Just because I have discussed facts doesn't mean I can't have an open, fair mind.

Actually, I'm worried more about jurors who have NOT kept up with the case, and are going on their general knowledge from the CajunNet that "they caught the killer!"

We are seeing the same conundrum with nomimating federal judges and Supreme-Court justices - the fashion now is to find candidates - such as John Roberts - who have left a minimal paper trail - who have not voiced their opinions.

They can become "sleeper" judges, like retired SCOTUS Justice David Souter - just as supposedly uninformed jurors can become "sleeper" jurors.

I would trust a meticulously fair juror who HAD followed the case, over a juror relying on the CajunNet who had NOT.

http://theadvocate.com/news/3380433-123/lavergne-indicted-in-deaths-of

...While the second charge caught Tom Shunick off guard, the father said he was not at all surprised the grand jury returned an indictment against Lavergne.

“I wouldn’t be surprised if there were other things they found in his house about other people who have either been kidnapped and molested, or missing people,” he said, adding that he does not have any information as to whether any such evidence was found.

No, it's not nuts! It would be a shocker though...

I would think BSL would have been noticed in Darden, Tennessee if he was simply a stranger passing thru...

But if he had a friend or relative in the area, that would cast things in a different light.

The who took Holly was aware of turkey hunting and the cameo clothing locals used. Also, the rural/remoteness of where she lived points to someone familiar with the area..

It is just rumor from one person here at WS that BSL wears military fatigues. This has never been reported or verified.

FYI

Hello, this is my first time posting. I have been reading the comments here since Mickey went missing and I have finally registered. I am a local from Lafayette and Charlie is a good friend of my family so this hit close home for me. I heard about Lisa Pate's murder as soon as BSL was arrested, I work with alot of guys from Church Point and they have all heard that BLS was the prime suspect in that murder. They told the same story as Laffy Taffy told about the wreck. I guess this is considered "Cajun Net" but alot of the rumors seem to have some weight to them. I have also met BSL a while back but I dont really remeber much about him and nothing odd stood out to me. He seemed like a normal everyday person.

It's a fine line, isn't it, balancing the defendant's right to a fair trial, and his right to a jury of his peers.

Busing some jurors in from Arkansas might help him get a fairer trial, but they would not be his peers, IMO.

I would suspect bringing in jurors from out of state is not even an option. Someone from LA could correct me if I'm wrong. Personally, I imagine they can find jurors from Lafayette. The question isn't so much whether or not a juror has heard about the case on the news, but whether or not they have already made up their minds on guilt/innocence without hearing any evidence, basically whether they could still be fair and impartial without to both sides as they really have not heard any evidence at this point.

I don't know how reliable this information is, but there is a poster on TD who states that the owner of the rented house where LP was found is the same person who died in the car accident?

Hello, this is my first time posting. I have been reading the comments here since Mickey went missing and I have finally registered. I am a local from Lafayette and Charlie is a good friend of my family so this hit close home for me. I heard about Lisa Pate's murder as soon as BSL was arrested, I work with alot of guys from Church Point and they have all heard that BLS was the prime suspect in that murder. They told the same story as Laffy Taffy told about the wreck. I guess this is considered "Cajun Net" but alot of the rumors seem to have some weight to them. I have also met BSL a while back but I dont really remeber much about him and nothing odd stood out to me. He seemed like a normal everyday person.

:welcome4:

A lot of people have decided to come out from the cold and join.

Glad you are here. This has been a good place to discuss ideas and their merits.

I know how you feel - I know Charlie as a friendly acquaintance and just knowing how this is affecting her has been painful... such a sunny girl.

Very interesting that up in Church Point people connected BSL to Lisa Pate right away.

South Louisiana is not a good place to stay anonymous.... people talk.... you WILL be found.

My holy grail is uncovering the Jennings killer. That's the one who has slipped the noose.....

Say what you will about the likes of Nancy Grace and others like her, but at least they get the names of victims out there. The little to no information available about LP's going missing and finding her remains later is sad and, at this point, frustrating.

Arresting BSL may have a dampening effect on the Jennings SK. It's easier to get away with stuff if there are several killers on the loose.

CF, we live in the communication era, and jurors are very informed whether they are imported from Shreveport, La or Little Rock, AR. The CSI effect, and todays juror appetite for forensics evidence, especially in high profile cases, has tipped the scales of Justice, imo...

I am confident that prosecutors have a treasure trove of forensic & other evidence against BSL, that will only increase before trial date from forensic lab test results and tips due to the awareness that is being generated..

Rant...

Some folks complain about BSL's face being posted on all the artcles..Imo, his photos(20yr & 30yr) should be posted on billboards all across LA & beyond in an effort to identify any unknown victims.

FBI National Digital Billboard Initiative

http://www.fbi.gov/richmond/news-and-outreach/outreach/billboard

As the result of a national partnership between the FBI, Adams Outdoor, Clear Channel Outdoor, the Outdoor Advertising Association of Georgia, and Lamar Advertising, more than 1,000 digital billboards nationwide have been made available to display FBI information on fugitives, missing persons, wanted bank robbers, and more.

Through January 2009, the billboards have led directly to the capture of at least 14 fugitives, plus many more indirectly through overall publicity efforts.

Do we know the address where Lisa's remains were found?

From what I have seen (don't have a source) Lisa was last seen in Lafayette. Lafayette would be a logical hunting ground for a country boy. If the MO was the same, I doubt Lisa knew him.

Do we know the address where Lisa's remains were found?

I would think that since Lisa was from Youngsville, there would likely have been a report in the Daily Advertiser archives in 1999.

Probably available at the main Lafayette Library branch.

Out of respect for Lisa's family, I don't want to speculate on this.

From what I have seen (don't have a source) Lisa was last seen in Lafayette. Lafayette would be a logical hunting ground for a country boy. If the MO was the same, I doubt Lisa knew him.

I just deleted my post and I'm banning myself for 10 minutes :ignore:

Just a question.

Ladies, ignore the facts for a second and just look at him.

How many of you, honestly, would accept help from him based on his looks?

I want to say no. These days, you just can't trust anyone. I have not had car problems in many years and the last time I did, and could not get help from family, I called an ex-boyfriend's grandpa (who still loves me btw :) ) Especially if my kids are with me. I would not put them in a vehicle with a stranger, and I would not allow a stranger to get in our vehicle. I remember once, long time ago, when one of my kids was a baby and it was pouring coming out of the grocery store, this older woman offered to HOLD MY BABY while I got my car and drove up next to the store. Ummm, no thanks, I don't think so! And the thing is, I know that most people out there are somewhat normal, there are only a handful of bad apples. But, you really can't know which ones are which. It's sad but you have to treat them all as potential bad apples and not put yourself in a situation to find out.

You all probably will think I'm nuts but I cannot let go of me thinking that BSL was in TENN. and took Holly Bobo: BSL wore fatigues. I'm probably way off but my gut and mind just keeps going there. I don't know why.

Would be helpful to know if he looks similar to hollys cousin since thats who her brother thought he was when he saw him leading het in the woods and didn't intervene. Theyve never given a description other than height and weight and clothing that i can find. I think it's more likely he stuck around LA area though

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member