IA IA - Elizabeth Collins, 8, & Lyric Cook, 10, Evansdale, 13 July 2012 - #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
NO ONE HAS CONFIRMED THE GIRLS WERE EVER AT THE LAKE.

Full stop.

Right?

The dogs got their scent but as dogs can't talk, we don't know how old the scent was.

No eye witness has actually confirmed the girls made it to the lake that day, at all.

That's right, but the couple who reported seeing them on their street sometime between 12 -3 live very close to the lake. Their home is marked on hollye's map. Their street actually ends at the lake, very near where Ollipop saw "unusual tire tracks" - quoted from the map. The map is in the first post of this thread.

She could have texted from anyones phone...friends, relatives....

If your non Working cell can access wifi then it MAY be able to send a text with certain apps if it's a smart phone. My old cell doesn't work as a cell anymore so we dont pay for it but it still receives wifi just fine so sometimes I use an app to text back and forth with my kids on it around the house for fun (part of a learn to read and write game we made up that they like bc it involves the use of a cell phone).

She could have texted from anyones phone...friends, relatives....

True, but she was with GM and Elizabeth. Elizabeth's phone was non working. I would be surprised if GM had text service.

If your non Working cell can access wifi then it MAY be able to send a text with certain apps if it's a smart phone. My old cell doesn't work as a cell anymore so we dont pay for it but it still receives wifi just fine so sometimes I use an app to text back and forth with my kids on it around the house for fun (part of a learn to read and write game we made up that they like bc it involves the use of a cell phone).

Very interesting, I had no idea that could be done.

Just want to add that the FBI has repeatedly been questioned on their conclusion of Bivins' guilt in the same case that they harangued Hatfill. I know plenty of folks close to the players, and I am convinced as many scientists are, that Bivins, who committed suicide, was not the guy behind the Anthrax. I lost all respect for the FBI after the Olympic Bomber and Anthrax cases. All respect.

Sing it, sistah!

I really believe that Steven Hatfill was simply more emotionally stable than Bruce Ivins; I think Dr Ivins committed suicide because he had a virtual ringside seat to watch what happened to Dr Hatfill and Dr Ivins just could not face it. Not because he was guilty but because he was innocent but not as emotionally stable.

I think the FBI breathed a deep sigh of relief when Dr Ivins committed suicide and they could blame it all on him and give up on an investigation that was going nowhere with no destination in sight.

I don't know anyone who knows the players personally but I do know biologists who pointed out the many, many flaws in the FBI case against Dr Ivins.

I am proud as an Iowan to say that Iowa Senator Chuck Grassley was one of the senators who called for an investigation into the FBI investigation. So far as I have been able to discover, the FBI conducted the investigation on itself and it basically went nowhere.

Why am I not surprised?

Sounds like Gma left Heather's to go meet Tammy to run errands and called Misty to tell her the kids were out riding and hadn't returned and that she (Misty) and Heather needed to go find their own kids, because she had stuff to do with Tammy and that Tammy was already at her (Gma's) house in Waterloo. Misty went to Heathers. Gma and Tammy were doing whatever they were doing in Waterloo and got the call from Drew to come back. Since they were supposed to have left for Waterloo by 1:30 and were running late, Gma called Misty at 2:00, having already left. What is unclear is exactly what time Gma was driving around looking for the girls before she left. Maybe from 1:30-2:00? Which means by the time they (Gma and Tammy) came back after Drew called them, the police had been contacted and Tammy was saying go check the lake maybe by 3:00. Sounds reasonable to me. It is Heather and Drew that were the most alarmed and Heather contacted LE...good thing. Just trying to decipher this stuff. MOO

from ng transcript

COOK-MORRISSEY: I left for work at 8:30 AM. She gave me a hug and a kiss and told me she would text me and let me know when I got off of work where she would be, either at Heather`s in Evansdale or back at our mother`s home in Waterloo.

I thought Lyric didn't have a phone, how's she going to text Missy?

I remember reading that Lyric did indeed have a cell phone but did not take it with her that day.

What do you all think about the "floating rope tied to brick found" on Hollye's map? It is dated 7/16 at 7:30 pm. I guess that is when it was found? I haven't seen any articles about it. Now that LE is asking for a paddleboater to contact them I am wondering if this has any significance.

I think Tammy may have been a bit flustered (understandably) and got things mixed up. In addition to information that conflicted Misty's, she also said that she "met Mom at her house because we had had some plans", then says her mom went and got her and they were called back by Drew. I don't necessarily think she was lying, but she definitely sounded confused (unless it was just transcribed wrong.)

I think it might be a good idea not to completely trust her version of things if they differ from someone else's. People can easily get confused when under a lot of stress.

Not sure if this was posted or not. I am certainly curious about it because I think there was a boat involved myself.

Paddle Boater Wanted for Questioning in Missing Girls Case

Investigators believe someone somewhere knows something about two missing cousins from Evansdale. They now want to speak specifically to a paddle boater who was on the lake the day the girls went missing two Fridays ago.

Toys, flowers and letters surround Meyers Lake and remind investigators what they're working so hard to find.

http://www.woi-tv.com/story/19094448/paddleboater-wanted-for-questioning-in-missing-girls-case

In this instance, would there still be the ever-handy "ping" record (or otherwise - something similar to an IP address, perhaps) to look at, do you know? (sorry if this is known stuff around here, I'm still learning!)

BlueIris, that just sounds cute as all get out!

And what a creative mom you must be.

From NG transcripts

COOK-MORRISSEY: I left for work at 8:30 AM. She gave me a hug and a kiss and told me she would text me and let me know when I got off of work where she would be, either at Heather`s in Evansdale or back at our mother`s home in Waterloo.

I left for work. At 2:00 o`clock, my mother, their grandmother, called and said she couldn`t find them. They`d been on a bike ride, and you know, to come directly to Heather`s home. I only work just up the street. I came directly there.

My mom had been driving around looking for them. We stood in the yard and talked for a few minutes. Heather pulled up, had not been able to find them. It was about 2:20, 2:30 PM. And so Heather said, I`m going to the police station. And that`s when she went to the Evansdale PD to involve them.

Tammy
When Mom -- I had met Mom at her house because we had had some plans. She had originally left. When Misty showed up to pick up Lyric, and Mom said, you know, The girls have been off and it`s been a little bit too long, but you know, you guys need to go find your kids, Tammy and I have some other things that we`re doing, and Tammy`s at the house.

So Mom came and got me. We got a phone call back from Drew (ph), Elizabeth`s father, saying, You guys need to get back here and help. So me and Mom jumped in the car, and right away we came back. Kelly -- we picked up Kelly, the 12-year-old son, and we started going to all these places that they`d already checked.

I said immediately to my mom, I said, Take me to Meyers Lake, take me to Meyers Lake. This is approximately a quarter to 2:00 when I asked -- or a quarter to 3:00 when I asked Mom to take me to Meyers Lake.

Sounds like Misty and Grandma stood in the yard and talked and Heather drove up around 2:20 - 2:30 and that is when Heather decided to go the police station - and Grandma decided to leave and go meet up with Aunt Tammy who she had plans with and was waiting at her house in Waterloo.

Does that seem odd that at this point Grandma had not seen the girls for 3 hours and decides to still leave and go about her plans and let Misty, Heather, and Drew find their children? Maybe I am missing something.

Re: Floating rope with brick...makeshift anchor with no boat attached

True, but she was with GM and Elizabeth. Elizabeth's phone was non working. I would be surprised if GM had text service.

Grandma Cook wouldn't have left the house until Heather returned, so Lyric could have used Heather's cell phone.

from ng transcript

I thought Lyric didn't have a phone, how's she going to text Missy?

She did have a cell phone, it was just left at the house. She did not have it on the bike ride.

What do you all think about the "floating rope tied to brick found" on Hollye's map? It is dated 7/16 at 7:30 pm. I guess that is when it was found? I haven't seen any articles about it. Now that LE is asking for a paddleboater to contact them I am wondering if this has any significance.

I missed this. I have not heard about a floating rope tied to a brick.

ETA: Found an article - http://wcfcourier.com/news/local/su...cle_0bf2e65e-cfc3-11e1-9030-001a4bcf887a.html

Grandma Vicki Weikert, like the rest of the family, has not been named as a person of interest or a suspect.

She seems like a normal Iowan to me. I look at her eyes and her eyebrows and there's worry there. She's trying to seem normal but I get a feeling she was probably speaking a little faster than usual because her grammar was slipping. With most Iowans, those are the size of the signs of concern.

I've seen Iowans picking their way through their houses that were hit by a tornado or destroyed by floodwaters. Even though it's a total wreck, they are still composed and polite when they speak to media. They still smile, they don't act upset. They just try hard to project an image of calm competence.

I've gone to fundraisers for farmers who were severely injured or killed in farm accidents. The family, from oldest to youngest, acts calm and tries to emphasise that they are bearing up and will find their way through this trial.

It's hard to explain. It isn't a lack of caring; Iowans care deeply. But there's a generalised horror of crying in public. I'm only 1% joking when I say that most Iowans (myself included) would rather chop off their hand with a rusted tin can lid than cry in front of a camera.

I just have a hard time generalizing that much about an entire state. It makes it sound like everyone from Iowa has the same exact personality, like robots in a cult. I live in Iowa for 8 months out of the year, so I'm not completely unfamiliar with the state, and I never thought of people from there as being stoic, or some unwritten rule about only showing a calm demeanor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
just_a_shouthern_gal