IA IA - Elizabeth Collins, 8, & Lyric Cook, 10, Evansdale, 13 July 2012 - #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
My take on LE telling Misty she passed the LDT (if they actually told her this).
First I doubt the word "passed" was used. "You did fine" in answer to her asking how she did would be more plausible. This could very well mean nothing more than telling her she answered all of the questions and the test was now complete. NOT, you are not guilty you passed, A+ bravo, here is your certificate. Or, NO, you flunked, you are guilty, we suspect you! I think, "you did fine" would be the appropriate and most likely response.

I agree. Either your physical reaction to your answers show that you are being truthful, deceptful or the machine cannot determine one way or the other and then it is considered inconclusive.

In the case of deceptive, you would be told that your results showed some deception and then you would likely be interrogated on the questions that showed that. You may be asked to take the test again if you have a good explanation for why you felt stress in that question and why you answered it the way you did.

In the case of inconclusive, you would be told that and may be asked to retake the test.

In the case of truthful you would be told that they were okay with the results and that you could go with no further interrogation at that time. I don't think they'd ever use the word "passed". They have no idea if you were able to beat the machine but they also have no reason to interrogate you further regarding the questions they asked you.

I think "passed" was Misty's word. And she's certainly not the first or only person to use it when referring to results of a lie detector.

Her first test was inconclusive and she was asked to retake the test. She refused on the advice of a lawyer she had consulted according to TB. Then LE were saying that certain members of the family were not fully co-operating.

So Misty took another one and LE likely told her they were "fine" with it and had no need to interrogate her further regarding the questions. They then announced in the press conference that they were pleased that certain family members had decided to co-operate.

Did the test in fact show that she was being truthful? Only LE know the answer to that question.

MOO

Not sure if this was posted or not. I am certainly curious about it because I think there was a boat involved myself.

Paddle Boater Wanted for Questioning in Missing Girls Case

Investigators believe someone somewhere knows something about two missing cousins from Evansdale. They now want to speak specifically to a paddle boater who was on the lake the day the girls went missing two Fridays ago.

Toys, flowers and letters surround Meyers Lake and remind investigators what they're working so hard to find.

http://www.woi-tv.com/story/19094448/paddleboater-wanted-for-questioning-in-missing-girls-case

This might be an off the wall question but... what's meant by a "paddle boat"? I was picturing one of those ones that have pedals and you use your feet to propel it by pedalling, then realized that might be a "pedal boat" and "paddle boat" might be something else like what I might call a row boat. It'd make a big difference in terms of distance someone could travel, and maybe amount of time they'd be out on the lake?

I just have a hard time generalizing that much about an entire state. It makes it sound like everyone from Iowa has the same exact personality, like robots in a cult. I live in Iowa for 8 months out of the year, so I'm not completely unfamiliar with the state, and I never thought of people from there as being stoic, or some unwritten rule about only showing a calm demeanor.

Lived there for 20 years...have not seen it, but I did not live in Waterloo.

This might be an off the wall question but... what's meant by a "paddle boat"? I was picturing one of those ones that have pedals and you use your feet to propel it by pedalling, then realized that might be a "pedal boat" and "paddle boat" might be something else like what I might call a row boat. It'd make a big difference in terms of distance someone could travel, and maybe amount of time they'd be out on the lake?

I took it as a foot control type boat.

Either way, there seems to be a missing witness...someone who was on that lake, who has not come forward.

LE have asked several times for that person to come forward and they haven't yet. Until they do, they are my pick for suspect number one.

We need to know more about the paddle boat! Is there always one on the lake, just abandoned? Do locals have them just laying about for free use for all? Personally I doubt this. Did our friend, the civic-minded Ted Gamerbinger, recognise the paddle boat, or the person in it? Was the paddle boat bought to the lake, and taken away afterwards, if so how? Why did no one see?

So many questions...

Paddlers are canoeists and kayakers.

Misty said the cell phone was at the grandmothers' house...
maybe she forgot it?

Seems to me that the prime reason for a 10 year old to have a cell phone would be for safety/emergency when out alone. It makes no sense that she would have left it behind.

I just have a hard time generalizing that much about an entire state. It makes it sound like everyone from Iowa has the same exact personality, like robots in a cult. I live in Iowa for 8 months out of the year, so I'm not completely unfamiliar with the state, and I never thought of people from there as being stoic, or some unwritten rule about only showing a calm demeanor.

I don't mean to say that all Iowans are identical.

Having travelled all over the US and Canada for work, though, my impression is that Iowans place a higher social value on calmness and stoic demeanour than people in many of the places I visited apparently do.

Other people's mileage may vary and probably does.

For whatever it is worth, I thought the unspoken rules for Iowa funerals were funny enough that I sent them to other Iowans I know. The anonymous response was agreement and laughter.

Off topic: my best friend is from Chicago and he once told me a joke. Question: Why is Iowa called the Hawkeye state?

Answer: Because that's the only part of a hawk an Iowan won't eat.

My answer: Iowans are too thrifty to waste the eyeballs, we eat them along with the rest of the hawk!

Re: the paddle boat-I have lived my whole life in the land of 10,000 Lakes and have seen every kind of recreational boat being hauled on a trailer, except a paddle boat. For whatever reason, people do not tend to move those from lake to lake, but park them at their lake home or cabin and there they stay.

That makes me think that the paddle boat (as long as it is what I think of as a paddle boat) belongs to someone who lives on the lake. It did not look like there are that many homes on the lake. I wonder why LE would not just canvass the neighborhood to ask who has a paddle boat?

I agree, this is not something I have noticed, either - and I have lived right next door to Iowa my entire life and spent lots and lots of time there. Dozens of our relatives and friends are Iowans, and I cannot imagine any of them them reacting to a missing child the way that Misty has. Her behavior is not typical Iowa behavior by any means.

Seems to me that the prime reason for a 10 year old to have a cell phone would be for safety/emergency when out alone. It makes no sense that she would have left it behind.

My nearly 10 year old left her shoes behind the other day... (the ones she had been wearing.)

She's 10... If it isn't important to HER then she very well might forget about it.
Many 10 year olds wouldn't even think to have a phone for an emergency, especially if only going within walking distance.

Re: the paddle boat-I have lived my whole life in the land of 10,000 Lakes and have seen every kind of recreational boat being hauled on a trailer, except a paddle boat. For whatever reason, people do not tend to move those from lake to lake, but park them at their lake home or cabin and there they stay.

That makes me think that the paddle boat (as long as it is what I think of as a paddle boat) belongs to someone who lives on the lake. It did not look like there are that many homes on the lake. I wonder why LE would not just canvass the neighborhood to ask who has a paddle boat?

I can see at least two paddle boats in bing maps. One up in the canal part of the lake and one yellow one on the eastern edge of the lake.

Right, the most often place I see a paddle boat in MN and NW WI is on the shore , upside down.

We have to remember when Isabel Celis case was BIG and they gave those parents a lie detector test everyone was like " Mot people that are innocent and passed just come out and say it to the world" well we have a mother doing that now in this case and people criticize her for telling the world what authorities prob said to her. "You passed"

So what is it? Is it better to come and say hurray I passed or not?

I agree, this is not something I have noticed, either - and I have lived right next door to Iowa my entire life and spent lots and lots of time there. Dozens of our relatives and friends are Iowans, and I cannot imagine any of them them reacting to a missing child the way that Misty has. Her behavior is not typical Iowa behavior by any means.

I was born and raised in Iowa. I actually live 40 miles South of Evansdale and both of you are right!

After college I lived in various states and regions and upon returning home I realized several things about Iowans/MidWesterners: in general most people are friendly here, there is a strong sense of community and ownership of our state, and there is a bit of stoiscism. All of which can be interpreted as a strength or a weakness- depending on what traits a person values.

I love being an Iowan and take pride in these descriptions, but can relate to not liking gerneralizations. However, IMO what I saw of MCM in interviews was nothing of 'Iowa Stoicism' that was something else... Could be addiction, angst, guilt, grief- but something was not clicking for me.

Hey peeps.

Listen.

No one has been named by LE or MSM as a POI or suspect in this case.

The parents, whatever you may personally think about them, have not been named.

That means that they, and their families, their neighbors, and their friends and "associates," are not to be sleuthed or badmouthed 'round these parts at this time.

Yep, there's stuff in the UK Daily Mail. We allow that link, but we treat it cautiously. Please keep your focus on sleuthing what may have happened to Lyric and Elizabeth in these threads.

This post falls at random, and :tyou:

I remember reading that Lyric did indeed have a cell phone but did not take it with her that day.

Which is one little 'clue' that has been niggling at me. Why didn't she take her cell? Most young girls have it attached to them every time they leave the home. Did she forget it or did she leave it home on purpose?

I know of a couple cases where the girl purposely left the cell at home because they planned to run off that day. [ One that comes to mind is the 14 yr old from Oxnard calif who ran off to mexico with her older boyfriend. She had a child with him and came home voluntarily 2 yrs later or so IIRC]

We have to remember when Isabel Celis case was BIG and they gave those parents a lie detector test everyone was like " Mot people that are innocent and passed just come out and say it to the world" well we have a mother doing that now in this case and people criticize her for telling the world what authorities prob said to her. "You passed"

So what is it? Is it better to come and say hurray I passed or not?

Well at least she didnt come out proclaiming..."I smoked it!!!"
Yes,Justin "Dip" will always come to my mind whenever we speak of poly tests.

ICK ....gahhhhh

I was actually referring to Grandma W, the subject of the video in question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EnvyofAngels