IA IA - Elizabeth Collins, 8, & Lyric Cook, 10, Evansdale, 13 July 2012 - #12

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know it was mentioned several weeks ago, but I'm wondering, since the article was posted today, if that is still something that LE stands by??

Oh good catch. I didn't notice the date at first. We can hope so! That might explain some of the family's silence. Maybe the girls are somewhere safe and they know it? I don't think they're HOME because I'm sure they'd have been seen by now and it would've leaked out, but maybe they're at a safe house (as was suggested earlier) or a hotel or something.

I really doubt that's the case and it might be too much to hope for. :( but I'm still keeping that hope alive for now.

Edited to add: hmmm MOO but the wording sounds almost exactly like it's been worded in most articles since it was first said weeks ago. I hope it's still true. It seems like they'd just take out that part if there was any reason to believe otherwise, but hard to know.

:welcome:Welcome! It gets addicting...so many, many to find. Glad you're here!

Hi Sleuths,

I've been lurking on these boards since Lisa Irwin went missing but finally registered for Lyric & Elizabeth. I live in Cedar Rapids, IA and this one is hitting really close for me.

I don't have any theories that haven't already been mentioned. I go back and forth between thinking it was a random thing and thinking it was someone who's know the girls a long time. I do wonder why Aunt T. knew to go to the lake considering the girls "never went there before" but might be nothing.

In regards to volunteer searches, LE asked them to stop on Sunday Night (July 15)

Snipped:
----------
"The volunteer search ended at about 4:45 p.m. Sunday. Authorities decided at 7 p.m. another full-scale search with the public’s help won’t be held today since the vast majority of people are volunteers, including Evansdale firefighters coordinating the search effort, and need to go back to work.

“Officers are thinking let’s wait-and-see what comes up. Right now there’s nothing more to check, we’ve already covered about 12 square miles,” said Capt. Rick Abben with the Black Hawk County Sheriff’s Office."
----------

Snipped from: http://wcfcourier.com/news/evansdal...cle_20c2e864-d215-11e1-a320-0019bb2963f4.html

Also, I don't have the links but there has been at least fundraiser (a walk) & there is a bank account set up. I assume that money is being used to make up for lost funds from missing work but I don't know that. I agree it would be great to have a third party managing funds to help bring in a PI.

There are just so many things about this case that confuse me and I am praying every day that these girls will come home safe!

Let's not get the statistics confused and the statistics vary according to the age of the child.

(Ages 1-5) Only 7% of abducted children were abducted by non-family/acquaintances/strangers. 93% were abducted by family.

(Ages 6-11) Only 12% of abducted children were abducted by non-family/acquaintances/strangers. 88% were abducted by family.

(Ages 12-14) 38% of abducted children in this age group are abducted by non-family/acquaintances/strangers

(Ages 15-17) 20% of abducted children in this age group are abducted by non-family/acquaintances/strangers
Pre-teens and teens are the children that are far more likely to be abducted by nonfamily.
http://www.pollyklaas.org/media/pdf/NISMARTIInonfamily.pdf

How many children are reported missing each year by the U. S. Department of Justice and found to be a NONFAMILY/STRANGER/BOOGEYMAN abduction? 115

115 children are the victims of “stereotypical” kidnapping each year. These crimes involve someone the child does not know or a slight acquaintance who holds the child overnight, transports the child 50 miles or more, kills the child, demands ransom, or intends to keep the child permanently.
Source: U.S. Department of Justice National Incidence Studies of Missing, Abducted, Runaway, and Thrownaway Children, 2002

There are approx. 76.1 million children in the USA.
http://www.childstats.gov/americaschildren/tables.asp

Up until the age of approx 11, family is most likely the offender in a child’s homicide.

Filicide, the deliberate act of a parent killing his or her own child, is the third-leading cause of death in American children ages 5 to 14.

https://www.ncjrs.gov/pdffiles1/ojjdp/187239.pdf

Maybe it is just me but i don't believe statistics.There are way to many kids not found. Maybe those ones are all stranger abductions.

There seems to be alot of cat people here, whoo hoo. Okay of topic again...sorry

There seems to be alot of cat people here, whoo hoo. Okay of topic again...sorry

Mental health is inversely proportional to the amount of cats owned. (Don't ask how many I own. lol)

"We believe," Breault said, "these girls are alive and we are not discouraged by the passage of time since their disappearance."

This statement from FBI stands out more than anything so far...not just because it is what we all what to believe, but because of how certain they are/were. They are NOT discouraged by the passage of time.....

what evidence would make them say this, but at the same time, now two weeks later, still do not have a suspect? I cannot figure this out.
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_...orities-believe-missing-iowa-girls-are-alive/
Ill just repeat what I posted last night. Lol
The FBI made that statement one day and the next day Iowa LE announced
they had nothing new and that they wouldn't be holding pressers until there was
Something to update.

Ill just repeat what I posted last night. Lol
The FBI made that statement one day and the next day Iowa LE announced
they had nothing new and that they wouldn't be holding pressers until there was
Something to update.

Yes he said that a day right after the woman cop said they strongly believe girls are alive.

I hate this cat lol just don't have time to look for a new pic yet.I hate the moving tongue.

lol! I love kitty cats, but the incessant licking is getting to me! :heartbeat:

Okay this is something that has been bugging me and I need to ask. Do any of you think the perp would visit this site?

Probably. I'm narcacistic enough to google my own name sometimes and no one is talking about the things I do in my boring life. I found this site through google and I'm sure the perp had to.

If you are here reading along, let me tell you that you stumped us all and you won. The game is over and you can now let them go, knowing that you are smarter than all of us. We concede; now you can let them go please.

Seen a few posts this evening re: volunteers and this is my little input, make of it what you will.

When Sherry Arnold went missing, they told every property owner to scour their property, and I'm fairly curious why they haven't done that in this case. Even if they believe the girls are alive, there could be something relevant on someone's property (a flip-flop or clothing with DNA or something along those lines.)

Secondly, there's another case of a woman, Kristi Cornwall who vanished. After the police searches had concluded her brother and family sold a house, and devoted every resource they had to doing air searches and coordinated ground searches on their own. It was her brother who was eventually able to find her, and bring her home.

I know it was mentioned several weeks ago, but I'm wondering, since the article was posted today, if that is still something that LE stands by??

No way of knowing, since they have not spoken again since, as far as I know. I think this reference is back to the last time they did.

http://wcfcourier.com/news/evansdale_search/fbi-returns-to-meyers-lake-in-search-for-missing-girls/article_9b33f71a-dd95-11e1-86a6-001a4bcf887a.html

"FBI returns to Meyers Lake in search for missing girlsSandra Breault, spokeswoman for the FBI, confirmed authorities were near the lake in Evansdale. She said the search yielded "no positive results."
Authorities were not searching the lake itself, but instead in a wooded area near the lake, said Evansdale Police Chief Kent Smock."

I wonder if there was absolutely nothing found or "no positive results" is just what LE says when they don't find anything definite but there could be something slightly helpful that they aren't telling the public.

This was a detail that was mentioned in some of the earliest news reports. The girls disappeared, purse and cell phone thrown over the fence, bikes left laying on the trail. Sorry I can't find a link.

Southernmom, that article was here, maybe on the first ir second thread.

Yes he said that a day right after the woman cop said they strongly believe girls are alive.

Correct, so what MIGHT that evidence/reason be? This is the ONLY information outside of the whole white van/gas station thing that has come out. So, what would make LE say they strongly believe......seems like that's not just "keeping-your-fingers-crossed and hoping" sort of a thing..I also think that would be awful to say just out of hope.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MildredVeraHolmes