Interim discussion regarding questions from the jury and Arias on the stand #81

Status
Not open for further replies.
Two points:

1) Jodi says in Ninja interview that she had a wall charger for her phone which she denied having in answering the juror questions

2) Also (same interview) she says they woke up at 1pm....I think that is maybe when she entered the house 1pm, b/c if I remember correctly the last activity on Travis' phone was 12:xxp that day so he could not have been asleep. And she says that the roommate was home but did not see her.

Apologies if some have seen this before. For those who haven't, it's the best comic relief I've seen through the trial. Starts around 1:17:30 on the video. :floorlaugh:

JM: Why didn't he (Nurmi) cite you (Your Honor), if he's going to make this motion (for a mistrial) and accuse somebody of deceit...Why doesn't he cite you to the transcript of Detective Melendez?

I don't know who he's talking about when he (Nurmi) talks to you about Detective Flores. This issue involves Detective Melendez. Perhaps all Hispanics, their names all sound alike to him (Nurmi).

KN: Your Honor, I obje-

JM: (interrupting) I'M NOT DONE YET.

So much win in JM. He's a one-man gang. :floorlaugh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdhYXVlvzsY

Would anyone here be able to answer a question for me? I was just wondering why has it taken almost five years for this case to go to trial? That is a really long time.

Just wondering.....

According to DT, a big reason was the defense's inability to get copies of the many thousands of emails and text messages exchanged between JA and TA. Atty Nurmi said they had to go to court to force the prosecution to turn over copies that the prosecution said they didn't have (because they hadn't been transcribed).

Detective Melendez testified there were so many--estimated between 22,300 and 26,800 (896 pages at 25 to 30 a page)--that it would have taken him 8 months, doing nothing else his entire shift, to photograph and transcribe them.

Since then, software has become available to obtain copies more easily.

Another reason was the change of defense attorneys (several times) because one had a conflict of interest due to having represented another party involved in this matter. Atty Nurmi tried to bow out but wasn't allowed to. At one point JA insisted on representing herself. All those changes drag out the time.

Atty Nurmi submitted a plea offer on JA's behalf in which she would agree to plead guilty to 2nd degree murder if she could be sentenced to 20 years max, minus time already served. In that plea offer (linked elsewhere on WS) they threatened to drag TA's name through the mud unless their offer was accepted. The prosecution wisely (imo) declined the plea offer.

That *advertiser censored* was totally nasty. You KNOW she took those pics herself...hustler wouldn't even want that nonsense ..."LOL

We give fair warning...why do people keep doing that to themselves?? :floorlaugh:

Is it possible that there was in fact rope, and that SHE used it to tie up Travis? Even though it was a sleigh bed, which complicates that theory.

JM, our superb prosecutor, spent quite some time talking her through the imaginary rope scenario and demonstrating to the jury that there was no rope.

Exactly, this has bothered me a lot. To think that such a grizzly murder took place and the only DNA is a hair and a hand print. The other like the camera etc were stupid. But we often times wonder in cases how can there be no DNA evidence and how did someone get a way with murder. Now we can clearly see that yes if she would have just went there, shot him and left etc as far as crime scene evidence she may have definately gotten away with it. Of course all her other actions would have been enough for her to be found out. But I think most people do not leave such trails and stalking etc. I really would have expected much much more in the DNA evidence part of this crime even with her pathetic attempts at cleaning.

OT, but Fluffy looks pizzed! LOL, what a cutie!!!!!

I know guys who would totally ask for that. Not saying it wasn't her "thing" but that doesn't mean it wasn't his "thing" too.

I'm curious what your age might be, not that you have to say, LOL. Only because I'm wondering if this phenomenon may have become more common with the younger generations. I can only speak for my own, and for my part of the world as well. Could there be a geographic consideration as well? :waitasec: And no, I'm not giving up my age either, :giggle:

According to DT, a big reason was the defense's inability to get copies of the many thousands of emails and text messages exchanged between JA and TA. Atty Nurmi said they had to go to court to force the prosecution to turn over copies that the prosecution said they didn't have (because they hadn't been transcribed).

Detective Melendez testified there were so many--estimated between 22,300 and 26,800 (896 pages at 25 to 30 a page)--that it would have taken him 8 months, doing nothing else his entire shift, to photograph and transcribe them.

Since then, software has become available to obtain copies more easily.

Another reason was the change of defense attorneys (several times) because one had a conflict of interest due to having represented another party involved in this matter. Atty Nurmi tried to bow out but wasn't allowed to. At one point JA insisted on representing herself. All those changes drag out the time.

Atty Nurmi submitted a plea offer on JA's behalf in which she would agree to plead guilty to 2nd degree murder if she could be sentenced to 20 years max, minus time already served. In that plea offer (linked elsewhere on WS) they threatened to drag TA's name through the mud unless their offer was accepted. The prosecution wisely (imo) declined the plea offer.

BBM
It says submitted by him by I think JA wrote that thing. When I first read that, I remember thinking there was no way that was legit lol :floorlaugh:

one more thing.....I know it is VERY costly BUT I believe that someone needs to go after her for perjury (CA too) because until someone makes these liars responsible for their made up abuse/victim stories people will continue to proceed with ANYTHING they can come up with for their defense.

If I am looking for my cell phone charger, under my seat is the very first place I look. And it is usually right there. I hope the jury realizes how silly her story is, that she couldn't find it for 20 hrs, while in Arizona---yet it was under her car seat.

Well, it took her grandfather 2 YEARS to find a lost phone in his truck - maybe it's a hereditary thing.

I'm curious what your age might be, not that you have to say, LOL. Only because I'm wondering if this phenomenon may have become more common with the younger generations. I can only speak for my own, and for my part of the world as well. Could there be a geographic consideration as well? :waitasec: And no, I'm not giving up my age either, :giggle:

No problem at all! I am 34.

Does anyone know if Jodi ever took a polygraph? I can't see her refusing to take one since she things she is far smarter than anyone else and could beat it. With the ice in her veins, she may be able to beat one.

I find it amazing that Jodi seems to have had no close female friends from her past. Only males and no matter what she has done to them, they are still willing to lie and protect her.

I have never seen anyone like her. She didn't just want Travis, she thought she deserved him.

We give fair warning...why do people keep doing that to themselves?? :floorlaugh:

Is it something like when you were little and you finally talked yourself into peaking at your Christmas presents and then kicking yourself after you did??:banghead:

one more thing.....I know it is VERY costly BUT I believe that someone needs to go after her for perjury (CA too) because until someone makes these liars responsible for their made up abuse/victim stories people will continue to proceed with ANYTHING they can come up with for their defense.

She'll be convicted. After that, time in the spotlight could only be a delight to her.

Just a random thought as I have been scurrying around trying to make up for the lost hour of productivity here in CA due to DST, it was mentioned by one of the posters that AZ is still on 'God's time'. That said, I thought about 'the camera' and the time stamp on June 4, 2008. And the fact that JA was brazenly murdering poor Travis at a time when one of roommates could have walked thru the door at any time. Did a quick check of Cancun time and discovered that they do, in fact, observe DST. Is it possible that either JA or TA could have set his new camera an hour ahead in anticipation of his forthcoming trip? Just a thought.......

Golly, I sure hope so.

Now, it's a given than women who kill their significant other will often claim abuse, which creates outrage because it trivializes real victims of abuse rather than, say, being outraged over the dead guy.

The pedophilia stuff just brings it to a new level.

It was a while ago, but someone observed that Jodi Arias isn't just a murderer, she's an annihilator. She can't just kill Travis and, in the immortal words of William Munney in Unforgiven, "take away all that he has and ever will have".

She has to destroy what he was.

I know it's unusual, but it almost begs the jury, as finders of fact, to read a statement after the verdict that they find the accusations to be patently false, without basis and completely untrue.

For what it's worth.

If I was on that jury the attempted annihilation of his name and reputation would make the difference between my voting for LWOP or the DP. Mere Fatal Attraction, I'd be content to sentence her to Life Without Parole. Not now.

Unfortunately most of the details regarding the BMW have not been cleared up during the trial, and it is basically her word (which is worthless) as to what the arrangements were. And ironically there is no mention of the car in the most recent text messages between Travis and JA. I do believe she owed him money, irregardless of where the car was located, and hadn't been making any payments, therefore the check left on his desk. What is missing, however, is if he was going to take any legal action against her for the damages or if they had a formal arrangement she has not disclosed.

MOO

Just jumping off your post, I wonder if Travis got his BMW through this PPL program.

http://wserver0.prepaidlegal.com/pdf/22985.pdf

So do you think there is a generational aspect to it?

Definitely. I have posted on this before actually. For people who came of age with the Internet, their socialization into sex had so much to do with viewing *advertiser censored*, where anal sex is featured with great ubiquity.

i don't agree. it was reluctant....but he was forthcoming. if he was truly aiding and abetting he would have purjured himself. Instead he told the truth and continued. Telling the truth is what was required and he did it. Nothing he said helped her in any way and he realized it. so i don't see it, nor do i personally care how reluctant he was...he still did it. Not like MM who said he'd gladly lie for her-which is true aiding and abetting.

Also does not matter that he was a defense witness. She was a sociopath and possibly didn't see the full real JA until it was pointed out in a way that helped him connect the dots. A lot of people have a hard time seeing someone they love or loved as a demon. So? He still got it and testified against her even though it was defense's witness. Still didn't protect her.

On the stand you are required to answer questions as they are phrased, no more, no less. You don't offer up answers to questions that haven't been asked. So sure he could know more but unless he is called back to the stand and specifically asked he doesn't need to say anymore. Same goes for prosecution side- answer the truth, don't elaborate unless asked. Semantics i guess...have to agree to disagree

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Fear? It's a huge motivator. DB saw up close and personal what she was capable of doing and he sure doesn't want him or his son to be next if Jodi was capable of pulling off a Casey Anthony. Personally I would try to be the nail in her coffin if I was that afraid of her, but I'm more like Travis. TA was too honest for his own good with her. He didn't realize that his confronting her with the truth was his death sentence. IMO, DB wasnt just protecting JA, he was protecting his family...sister, new baby...etc. Facing this level of evil will do that to a person.

I think these go together. I think he was reluctant because of fear of JA possibly getting out and hurting someone he loved. Or her having someone hurt someone he loved. But I also think he feared the repurcussions of lying under oath. I think his testimony was filled with fear. He told what he needed to to not get in trouble in court, but also little enough to not totally infuriate JA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mjflow