trial day 34: the defense continues it's case in chief #98

Status
Not open for further replies.
40% of women reported some sort of sexual problem -- most commonly low sexual desire -- but only 12% report feeling distressed about it.

Haha. My take on the above excerpt: Well, women just don't find it troubling that they don't find that gas-passing, hairy, nose-picking lump in the barcalounger appealing.

But not every woman is wedded to Kirk Nurmi.

Travis: "You can't stay"
JA's warped translation: "Sleep under the Christmas Tree"

And nobody saw this coming, huh? NUTS!

When I was very young (like 4 or 5), I recall loving to sleep under the Christmas tree. I'm sure my thought at the time...I'm a little foggy on the details though ;)...was that's where the presents show up so I might as well hunker down and get comfy.

Sounds very bizarre now that I know psycho b&%$* seemed to have an affinity to that as well. Damn...I think I must now see a shrink!

Wow - JA is just all kinds of crazy isn't she. But the one thing that sticks out is how this lunatic can sleep ANYWHERE. floors, cars, on the side of the road, and now under a Christmas tree. Then there's sleeping on Travis's lap while he tells his near death experience with a dozen of people staring at her.

I'm suprised we haven't seen her go to sleep at the defense table yet.

MOO

Mel

Good morning, my friends! :seeya:

Is it weird that I look so forward to meeting up with you all everyday?! Some of the best senses of humor I have ever encountered, not to mention the incredible amount of intelligence and compassion to be found here.

Thank you for being awesome!

Justice for Travis!! :yesss:

Hi Tracey, good morning :) I agree with you! And that humor seems to come at just the right time! And the intelligence is amazing! I've learned so much just by reading here at WS.

I hope the jurors don't ask many PTSD questions of the doc, but rather stick to what Arias told him in her "stories" as he likes to call them. I think the doc likes to expound on what he thinks he knows, and could go on forever.
He seemed in his element when he was describing disorders to willmott - maybe he's a teacher at heart. He should stick to that rather than testifying.
If he's a qualified Dr., there is no way he didn't recognize the sign of psychopathy.
And if he did recognize it, he should have walked away because of her lies.
Sorry doc - you loose either way.

You would think that a psych who has worked as long as Dr Samuels would have seen right away what Jodi was. Det Flores clearly did, and played right along, knowing she was pulling out all of her best and most used tricks in interrogation. Either Samuels knows and is pretending he doesn't, or is bambuzzled. Jodi and her ilk are exactly WHY they are using Dr Hare's test with parole boards, right? Because even when their old charm 'em and razzle dazzle 'em tricks don't work anymore, they engage in therapy to learn new and better ways of manipulating people!

I think Dr Samuels has never "quite" reached a stage in his career that can qualify as "successful". Mr Nurmi has probably heard of Dr Samuels and his "issues" and may have figured he was the best and only chance he had of getting a "professional" on the stand.
ETA: Dr Samuels may have seen this trial as a slingshot to "fame" he's never had a chance at before.

ETA2: I get the same icky vibe off both Samuels and Nurmi. They may be a match made in JA's heaven.
MOO and stuff.

So, I have a question for any of the psych professionals here. I was talking with my Psych Major daughter about Dr. Fog's testimony, and she asked me if he administered a "malingering" test after he had a suspicion that JA had lied on the PTSD test. I know nothing about these tests, but did anyone hear that the doctor administered a "malingering" test or any other test that would have flushed out her lying about "Traowmatic [sic] Event" in question? If not, would that be standard practice?
I'm by no means a psych expert but I hope you don't mind my answer. The Dr. only ever gave her the MCMI once with a subsequent screening for PTSD (there are several, I'm not sure which one he used). No tests to establish malingering were ever conducted. (TOMM's one example,)

From my knowledge of forensic psychology its atypical to only ever conduct one assessment in 3 years of evaluation anyway. Many psychs prefer testing, on average, every six months using the MCMI or MMPI.

Travis described JA as "a nymphomaniac" to at least one friend.

He described his value to JA this way: "I was nothing more than a dildo with a heartbeat for you."

This undoubtedly summarily characterized 'the tie that bound' them together, from his perspective.

Thinking about this in light of the Dido song lyrics and the fictional rope, and we understand more about JA's perspective on that 'binding tie' as well.

Exactly. And it is not about Travis being a normal male who enjoyed sex. This is a case where a male domestic violence victim tried to distance himself from his dangerous female obsessed abuser and was murdered because he took a stand. He no longer wanted the sex from the obsessed 'nympho' nor did he want her in his life any longer..period.

Everyone has an entitled right to make a decision in their life to part from the other one when they know they are bad for them. She took his rights away.:(

If anyone was obsessed with sex it was JA who murdered when she knew she could no longer have Travis including the sexual trysts with him she enjoyed so much.

IMO

Hi Tracey, good morning :) I agree with you! And that humor seems to come at just the right time! And the intelligence is amazing! I've learned so much just by reading here at WS.

I second that. Been here since 2008 and ya'll are family to me. I consider WS to be my "continuing education", and have met many friends along the way!

Justice for Travis!! :rocker:

Mel

So, I have a question for any of the psych professionals here. I was talking with my Psych Major daughter about Dr. Fog's testimony, and she asked me if he administered a "malingering" test after he had a suspicion that JA had lied on the PTSD test. I know nothing about these tests, but did anyone hear that the doctor administered a "malingering" test or any other test that would have flushed out her lying about "Traowmatic [sic] Event" in question? If not, would that be standard practice?

MMPI (the one he doesn't use very often) would show if anything wrong with her. If it doesn't in terms of PTSD then she would be lying. Malingering is making up symptoms to gain attention. Correction: Not making up exaggerating is a better adjective. "Making up" is more down the alley of hypochondria. Both disorders are attention-seeking (this is the super simple definition). However, the main operative word is "attention".

Now this is a stretch that Arias is making all this up to gain attention. She is making all this up so she won't get the DP and 2nd degree murder conviction.

My own professional opinion.

To me it just shows that even "experts" can be manipulated.

I'm more about self-responsibility.

JA and other manipulative women only control men who give them permission; i.e., only those men who willingly allow themselves to be manipulated from motivations appealing to their own self-interests.

[I'm bound to hear about this now...]

Wow - JA is just all kinds of crazy isn't she. But the one thing that sticks out is how this lunatic can sleep ANYWHERE. floors, cars, on the side of the road, and now under a Christmas tree. Then there's sleeping on Travis's lap while he tells his near death experience with a dozen of people staring at her.

I'm suprised we haven't seen her go to sleep at the defense table yet.

MOO

Mel

She is the great pretender. I have a feeling she never sleeps... and if she does, she probably sleeps with one eye open... she creeps me out, completely. :twocents:

He's a married man.

Feel badly for Missus Richard M. Samuels.

Wonder if she knew about the card(s) and the book...

Married or not...he still seems desperate.

His wife probably sees through his lies and behavior as well and keeps her distance. Think about that poor woman and how disheveled her home must be with this guy living in it? Probably see him parlay this appearance to a spot on Hoarders.

Testimony from the first couple of days of the trial is not available that I can find. There is audio that someone else posted but no video. Only recently has video of opening statements been posted. I believe MiMi was one of the first witnesses on the stand (though I could be wrong about that).
But, audio is better than nothing! :)

Here is the link: [video=youtube;Ip7EN8uoD-Q]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ip7EN8uoD-Q[/video]
Marie Hall is called at 1:24:36

One of our guys in the shop cut his finger OFF at the 1st knuckle this morning...if we ran this place like Stephens runs her court room, I guess we would be closed for a 2 weeks. I understand that someone vomiting, puking, hurling, whatever in the court room would cause a delay but the rest of the day....sheesh, I really feel sorry for this jury. I

Wow...sorry to hear about the guy's finger!

And, you're right. This judge seems so nonchalant about time. Judge Perry (CA case) would have said, "Ok, everyone, we've had an accident in the gallery...we will reconvene in Department 9 on the second floor in 15 minutes." Say what you want about the outcome of that case, but Perry made sure that he controlled the courtroom and respected the jurors time. :rocker:

HLN always uses these high-profile cases to pay the bills.

TruTV as well, but no more.

We can expect the story to be recycled in all of the murder-mystery shows as well; 48 Hours, Dateline, etc.

Well, sorta... For stations like HLN, TruTV, etc., airing court cases (or any other content) is about more than simply "paying the bills."

Every TV station's *real* goal is to generate tons of revenue via ad sales, so they can turn huge profits. They can only be successful in charging top-dollar for ad time if their program-content attracts huge numbers of viewers.

Separately, re: the original commenter's question about Jodi profiting by selling her story... Pinellas County set a fee for Casey Anthony re: the "wild goose chase" she led L.E. on. So I would think Maricopa County can do the same.

IMO, since JA says she killed TA in self-defense, if she'd contacted L.E. right away, the County shouldn't have had to jump through hoops to solve this crime.

TA's family ought to bring a civil suit against JA, too. If she ever profits from killing their brother, the majority of the proceeds should go to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abcdowpp1