long weekend break: discuss the latest here #114

Status
Not open for further replies.
His family also believed it was Travis--his side of the conversation was digitally enhanced so it was audible. He is yawning and tired and half-asleep at the end. HTH. The entire recording was played, so both sides believe it's Travis.

Or, it was agreed upon because it made her look as bad as it did Travis. No reason to dispute it.

I know this is a dumb question, and I'm sure it will get lost due to the new info about a mistrial, but I'm going to ask it anyway. Why do we believe that is Travis on the sex tape? It doesn't sound like the same person that we hear on the tapes where we see him. Travis didn't use drugs or alcohol, and it sounds like a man who is either drunk or on something powerful. I'm sure Juan wouldn't agree that it's Travis unless it was, but something is very strange about his speech on that sex tape. I'm sure this has been addressed before, but I'm late in getting here, and I may have missed it. Am I the only one that has a problem believing this is Travis?

It is him. I was wondering too if the reason he sounds groggy was I heard I thin it was Vinnie on HLN say they had to get NASA to enhance the tape so you could hear Travis well enough cause his voice was so low on the original tape. I always thought that may have been reason he sounded groggy. IDK just sounded weird.

I expect a flurry of whining...errr..motions from the defense. The end is near. They have a bad client, bad facts, loser of a case. But it is DP and they are going to go to the mat no matter how annoying it is. That's how it rolls, unfortunately.

#501 on Page 21 of Thread 13 has the photos of the reflection in Travis's eye, The Farm. This is not the original shot which, of course, involved huge enlargement. Thus, the low-definition. You may be able to see the image of Arias, however. Or you can search YouTube for the first magnification. No matter what you make of it, there is a figure there. Our own Rorschach.

O/T....in the cartoon version I see in my head....JM is a Honey Badger, KN is a Sloth, JW is a meercat and JA is a Shrike ......I wish I had better computer skills! I would love to throw together a storyboard :).

It is so dead on to liken JW to a meerkat. I think you may be the poster who made that comparison weeks ago. Ever since, that's what I see whenever JW sits up in "alert" posture....back straight, eyes wide, perfectly still.....LOL!

It's crazymaking, for sure. But I think the worst case scenario here is a dismissed juror, not mistrial. I'm hoping.

IMO
I totally agree this would be the worst case scenerio.

I'm also thinking that whatever she may have allegedly said may not even amount to a hill of beans.

I also think the worst case scenario is a dismissed juror. Also, this may remind the other jurors to be even more careful and therefore eliminating any possibility for the defense to bring any allegations against them. Thus ensuring the murderess will be held accountable...

I'm not suggesting that the other jurors are not already following all of he admonitions. I'm just saying that if I were a juror and another juror was dismissed I would be dotting my i's and crossing all my t's from here on in to make sure this lunatic is found GUILTY!!

MOO

Yep - and that's why he filed a Motion. In the end, it will amount to nothing. A mistrial would never, ever be granted for this reason. Even if a juror admitted to hearing or seeing something that influenced him/her, there are 6 remedies on the sidelines. One of those remedies (an alternate) would replace him/her. Nurmi is just grasping at straws.

To the person who asked about the .25 caliber - yes, they are real and they're popular pistols because they're so concealable.

My nightmare was a hung jury. Now I just want the case to get into the hands of the jurors. Let's pray this isn't a battle of attrition. HURRY UP ALREADY!

Do I understand this correctly? Our trial watchers have name coded the jurors?

Anita made a list of the jurors & gave them "names" since then it's kinda been used as the 'master list' when refering to individual jurors..

You'll find the list posted on the first page of the Court Observer threads as reference!

It's crazymaking, for sure. But I think the worst case scenario here is a dismissed juror, not mistrial. I'm hoping.

It depends on what she said and to how many other jurors.

Then again, we have seen the defense twist and manipulate testimony to their own needs so maybe what was uttered in the sealed meeting doesn't really amount to juror misconduct.

She could have said something that doesn't really rise to the level of juror misconduct but did not display body language that they liked. Especially since Jodi would have been just feet from the juror.

BBM
I did say it was a dumb question, but......... I don't care how tired he was, I would have thought the sex conversation would have made him more alert. It's not like he got tried and the conversation took a turn. It sounds the same from beginning to end.

Um...sex acts sure don't seem to make my husband "more alert.":floorlaugh: (I mean that he is alert until right after the event/s!)

The family, prosecution AND defense (including Jodi Arias who answered questions about it during cross--it was Jodi who recorded it) all say it is Travis. I think that's the end of the story, IMO.

But it's not about anything Martinez did. The jurors were questioned by the judge in chambers & it was during that questioning Juror #5 said something in front of other jurors.

You would think the Judge would have addressed the issue when it happened. I think the defense is grabbing in the dark for anything they might be able to get for a mistrial. Maybe if they did get a mistrial, Nurmi could have himself removed from the case, since this is what he has wanted for a long time. Court should have released him long ago when he requested it.

Be nice. This was the first thought that came through my head.

I just got home from a wonderful hike and turned on the TV and saw "the Breaking News".

Someone mentioned the jury may be tired and want out of the gig.

Didn't all the jurors sign up for this?

Just sayin'

HLN said that Juror #5 - Miss Multi-Colored Hair - is also one that has been taking copious notes (and may therefore have been the author of many of the snarkier jury questions, imo). Even if it is unprofessional, I cannot imagine what I might mutter after being locked up in that courtroom for this many weeks subject to a story that makes "the dog ate my homework" sound intelligent or credible.

As for this judge making such a stink about JM's reluctant little autograph/photo session, if she were really that worried about what might happen in a high-profile case covered like this by the media, she should have sequestered that jury. I understand that AZ is not a state that requires employers to pay for jury duty, but I read that the state can reimburse jurors in extended trials like this for up to $300 per day. If that's the case, it sure explains the multitude of juror questions - some of which are astute and relevant but many of which have nothing remotely to do with whether or not this is a self-defense case. Talk about getting paid by the hour.

Jeepers, that is sure is stark contrast to those infamous Pinellas 12 who were whining about being trapped inside and what they got to eat and watch on tv and practically bolted out of there in what has to be one of the fastest deliberation sessions on record. One of the reasons voir dire was such a pain for the state is the amount of people who begged off for "hardship". One of the many reasons I wish we'd go to a professional juror format. Well trained, well paid jurors would put an end to some of this nonsense. Grand juries become well-oiled teams after they sit together for months and I think it would end some of the obvious confusion a jury of our "peers" seems to have over the validity of circumstantial evidence or the predilection toward "CSI effect" regarding forensics, or the lack thereof. I realize that a jury of our peers was initially designed to reverse the socioeconomic bias of the 18th century British class system but I just don't trust most of the general public any more to have critical thinking skills. Just look at how bad we do on basic geography or history questions. (This of course is not meant for any WS members or posters. I think it is obvious you folks have a great deal of reasoning ability and are above well-informed.).

Don't you think they will just dismiss the juror?

Softail see my post above. It depends. It entirely depends. We don't get much context from the Motion. But if she said something egregious and in front of most of the entire jury the Judge could toss the whole trial. But again it would have to be pretty bad.

You would think the Judge would have addressed the issue when it happened. I think the defense is grabbing in the dark for anything they might be able to get for a mistrial. Maybe if they did get a mistrial, Nurmi could have himself removed from the case, since this is what he has wanted for a long time. Court should have released him long ago when he requested it.

BBM - good point.

Crap. Just saw the Motion for Mistrial. This is so maddening. This is EXACTLY what Jodi and her DT wanted. They were itching to talk to this jury to try and elicit something literally anything that could give them a mistrial. I bet they hoped they could get one relating to the prosecutorial misconduct and hope that Jodi then couldn't be charged again.

If the Judge grants this motion then this is 3 months and over a million dollars (of the state paying for Jodi's defense only! Not to mention the costs of the state prosecuting) down the drain.

Breath in..... Hold it. Hold or a little more. Exhale...slow..all the way out. .aaahh.

Better?

There are other jurors right? 17 I think.

Isn't speaking with each other fine as long as they are not discussing the case? "Hey can I borrow your chapstick?" MISTRIAL!

The judge needs to tell Nurmi to take a flying roll into a lake (I don't imagine he can leap) and deal with it on appeal at this point. If the judge talks to juror #5 further, then Nurmi will say that prejudices #5 against the defense and she has to go. If the judge tosses her, then Nurmi will demand that every juror she talked to be tossed as well, since it could have affected them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janisjoplin