weekend discussion: discuss the trial here #154

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ditto. The prosecution never has it on easy street unless the jury sees the truth and comes back with the right verdict. Think of the Pinellas 12 in Casey Anthony trial. I thought Jeff Ashton and Linda Drane Burdick hit it out of the ballpark. And the jury said not guilty? Oh my. Don't ever think the prosecution has it made. Besides, JM is quick on his feet, brilliant in his speech, smart as a tack. But the jurors are human and some come with biases.
Like the juror who said she could not judge. Never should have been on any jury EVER!!!!! And that's not racist, a juror's job is to judge the facts and evidence against a person. She was NOT qualified in the least, and could not set aside her religious beliefs.

I thought I read somewhere that Nurmi tried to get off the case but the judge ordered him to stay on it.
He had recently opened private practice (defending those accused of sex crimes); hard to get a practice going while serving as co-counsel in a high profile murder case.. judge denied his request but pays him more per hour.

If Jodi had PPL insurance, she would have called the hot line. No doubt, they would have told her not to answer any questions waiving her right to an attorney. Even if she could not afford an attorney, if Jodi had asked for one, the investigator would have immediately stopped engaging with her.

Very strange to me she hadn't absorbed more sub-basic legal info by hanging out with that crowd through osmosis if nothing else. I understand Travis was just an insurance salesman, but one of the selling points is not to risk saying the wrong thing but get immediate legal direction.

Except that, in Jodi's mind, she is much smarter than everyone else, and I think she was convinced that she could "handle" everything to get the outcome she wanted. Don't forget, she had been manipulating people for years.

~bbm

I was speaking generally about his other cases. The State rarely charges and tries any case it can't win. It's just not worth it for a number of reasons. And if they have one that's even kinda iffy, they'll take a plea. So if you have a case charged as murder 1 and no plea offered, that's based on the strength of the evidence and the knowledge/belief that it can't be lost outright. Any case Juan or any other prosecutor would get has a really good chance of being won or at least getting a plea. There are some high-profile shockers like the Casey Anthony case and some cases where charges are brought due to public pressure and/or for political reason, but those are anomalous, imo. Most people charged and tried for murder are convicted - especially the ones we don't hear much about. jmo

you are still assuming the jury goes along with the prosecution. Why is Casey Anthony free today? She murdered her baby!

Well, tobe fair, miz jodikillerarias has prolly never been, seen, felt, experienced an ally. No context for her.

For all the talk of sammy and alyce being in a relationship with jodipsycho they were prolly less allies and more users...books, articles, speaking engagements. Sammy n alyce were becoming "personalities". Alyce even had her daddy in the courtroom to share her fame.

Allies? No. Expertwhores.

But i digress...
I hear you! I think Juan may have been referring to Matt McCartney.

Nezumi, if you know where to find it, could you direct me to the "evidence" that she actually was on the reservation. I must have missed this extremely important fact because to me jurors would want to know what "happened" to get her to premeditate a murder. TIA

I don't have a link - sorry. It was part of trial coverage and I believe it was Beth Karas who reported it (which is why I believed it.) The PPL person is definitely on the rebutal witness list so I guess we'll find out soon enough!

BBM~ :rocker: You rock!

<snip>

If you walk in my shoes and find a better way to cope, I'm all ears. I'm doing the best I can, and at times it includes being completely pissed off and outraged and I use this voice God gave me.

Does anyone remember the date of the robbery at Jodi's grandparents home? I think it was May 28. Anyway, the date of her check to Travis for her car payment was May 28. If it was the same day, that girl was busy in her planning stage wasn't she!

Yep, May 28 she stole the gun. I'd still like to know the date Travis didn't show up as she hoped for her National Anthem solo. And do we know yet what the BBM in TA's email beginning "This is in response to your dire conversation..." was referring to? A phone conversation we'll never learn the truth about? I still think TA's last blog post (May 18) where he announces he's looking for Miss Right and that moochers and those with an inner axe-murderess need not apply was a public and personal rebuke that enraged Jodi.

But not every defense team is given the budget that this case has...money can totally help to skew the issues - as we've seen with CA and OJ.

I agree that money can buy a better defense, but I'm not sure that there's a bigger budget in this case than there is in any other DP case tried in AZ. Jodi isn't paying for her defense and the State can't decide to pay more for one defendant's defense than another, can it?

Innocent defendants deserve advocates.

Guilty defendants should so plead.

The whole notion of defense counsel burying its head in the sand, instructing defendants NOT to tell them certain things...

The practice is, by definition, legally-sanctioned -- even court-ordered -- deception.

And folks wonder how juries are hoodwinked and justice is perverted.
The thing is- most criminals are not going to plead guilty, they are liars and cowards who don't want to face consequences for their actions. Jodi was only willing to plead guilty to 2nd degree murder, which this isn't! That's why Juan flat out rejected her plea, even though she threatened to trash Travis through character assasination, and she made good on that threat.

Now now.. you're supposed to be in a self-imposed TO.. chocolate and something enticing to drink

There are lots of things I'm supposed to,do and don't. If only a chocolate bar made certain feelings disappear.

I'm gonna split now..didnt want to,derail the conversation. I just ran in to that exchange and wanted to do a little education.

I don't know how to,cold turkey myself from this discussion. I really don't. Try it. But yes I'm resting and my piles of laundry can arrest to,that.

What do you think is more tortuous? Being required to testify in a hearing over 3 weeks to get ruled against , then finding small consolations such as him receiving less attention, only to have to respond to a friend who has run across his singles ad because its still up,there?

I ignore almost every correspondence I receive on our lengthy appeals...they go in the garbage unopened although they come several times per year. I've told my advocate to,call me if its something I need to be involved in but the system keeps us updated.

I wrote those posts in an isolated exchange over 25 years now almost now. Torture is every Christmas Eve, the day her body was,found. Torture is an emissary for her killer showing up on my doorstep 2 weeks before Christmas asking my assistance with his appeal. We live with recurring torture every year as this goes on.

Yet I manage a successful professional life and loving relationships and opportunities to help when I can. This sharing was meant to educate what families deal with post death penalty.

If you walk in my shoes and find a better way to cope, I'm all ears. I'm doing the best I can, and at times it includes being completely pissed off and outraged and I use this voice God gave me.

I think I was misunderstood. I feel your pain and I know what you've gone through. I've gone through a similar situation. I was talking about what the poster children supporters and reading or listening to what they have said. The idea that there are groups that support those people is totally disgusting. I've been tortured in the same sort of way as you described and still go through it. Any attention given to the offender/criminal makes my skin crawl. The one I refer to went unpunished even though he committed murder. The fact that he walks the streets, breathes the air and lives the high life despite his many crimes is very hard to deal with. I literally live for the day that he no longer breathes on this earth. I'm sorry if you thought I was being offensive, I didn't mean to sound that way. I really was more reacting to that website.

ITA - her BPD may have helped her rationalize and obsess about killing TA, but it certainly can't explain all the "duping delight" expressions and her smirks of pride when listening to those sex tapes and the lack of affect throughout or the macabre interest she has in photos of her handiwork (both at interrogation and in the courtroom). She almost treats them like trophies. She's got a wide streak of psychopathy running through her, imo.

Since Jodi claimed she didn't even know she shot him, she heard the gun go off , but thought perhaps the bullet hit the wall, and claimed she has NO MEMORY of stabbing him, what exactly is there for her to be traumatized, or rationalizing about? You can't have it both ways, right? I agree with you she was turned on , on the stand, enjoying herself. The time I noticed it so glaringly was when she got smart with Mr. Martinez and said, "Some of the sex, wasn't". He flipped that on her real quick. "So, you DID enjoy the sex, right?" He sure had her number from jump. Love, love, love him.

I loved that ALV admitted Jodi never told her she felt humiliated sexually by Travis, that indeed she had relayed Jodi participated equally in the sex games, etc. This is in direct contrast to 18 days of Nurmi trying to set out that she was humiliated by the sex. My favorite zinger from Samuels was look, PTSD is not a get out of jail free card. He mentioned in his testimony that most often folks who have committed a murder suffer various mental problems following it. Oh goodness, all of this before we even heard from the brilliant Miss Demarte. You just can't make this stuff up!! I think her own team did her in. Now JM is going to mop the floor with the mess they left behind. :rocker::rocker::woohoo::woohoo::drumroll:

Remember when Miss "I scored 136 in verbal comprehension" told JM she didn't know the meaning of the word "ally"? She had been edifying and contemporaneously-ing and green-witching out the wazoo, but she didn't know the meaning of ally.

She scored high on verbal comprehension because she has been guessing what words mean all her life. Remember, the verbal comprehension portion of the IQ test is multiple choice--she might be able to guess the meaning of the word ally if you gave her three choices: a) a vegetable b) a tool c) a friend.

You can tell she does not read much because she does not understand the connotation --and sometimes even the denotation--of words. It does not matter how high your ability to verbalize may be, if you have no exposure to polysyllabic words used in print and in conversation, you do not know how (of if) the words are actually used by human beings at this time in this culture.

The socializing that Arias has done most of her life has been with low class, less educated people. In this group, Arias feels like Einstein. You can always feel good about yourself if you lower your peer group enough. Now that she is associating with better educated people, she is trying to fit in by using what she believes to be an elite lexicon.

It would be funny if she were harmless instead of a vicious parasitic predator.

FYI just a peek in to what really goes on with death row inmates and their celebrity status..just ran in to this dialogue I had w a Canadian website that hosts "singles ads" for death row inmates. The man who slit my sisters throat had a photo of himself on there holding her dog at one point. He was released from death row in 2009 for "mental retardation" yet they still held him up there as one of their poster children for years...he may still be listed as far as I know. Take a look at this exchange...oh and they banned me for holding their feet to the fire calling it "mean" :
http://ccadp.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=victims&action=display&thread=7586

Thank you KCL. I am in total support of Travis' family but seeing the celebrity status of death row inmates (I.e., Ted Bundy fathering a child!), I will be happy to see JA get life without parole. No appeal. No parole. Locked up for life.

IS that why you think they don't make eye contact with Jodi? Because of highly censored photos?

They didn't see the censored versions.

I think they don't make eye contact with her because they have no desire to commune with her 'in that way'.

It is common for jurors to avoid any contact of any sort with defendants, but there are certainly exceptions.

This Maricopa County, Arizona crew probably hasn't apologized to her or bought her books, magazines, twenty irises, etc.

[/B]

BBM a lot of baloney, if you ask me. I will never, never understand how they could defend her if they think she is guilty. Just criminal in my mind- so I'm cray-cray. :twocents:

Vigorous defense or trashing a man who was slaughtered?
Yes, it is a lot of baloney.

There are lots of things I'm supposed to,do and don't. If only a chocolate bar made certain feelings disappear.

I'm gonna split now..didnt want to,derail the conversation. I just ran in to that exchange and wanted to do a little education.

I don't know how to,cold turkey myself from this discussion. I really don't. Try it. But yes I'm resting and my piles of laundry can arrest to,that.

Oh Katie, Katie.... you are just as bad as I would be, but it is nice to know you have popped in. I do hope you will feel better in a few days. I will contnue to send hugs and special thoughts your way. :seeya:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
supertooth