PA - Building collapses in Philadelphia

Now on Greta they are saying 3 were killed. :please:

Prayers for all involved. I hope they find more survivors (and no more deceased) very soon!

Special thanks to our firefighters, police officers and everyone involved in helping people get out of the rubble.

Kudos to HUP and all the good Doctor's and nurses there. Thanks to Jeff as well and all our fabulous hospitals in the area.

I haven't watched the news, but I think early on they wrongly reported that apartments collapsed, but there are no apartments involved in this. The Salvation Army is a one story building, and the Hoagie City building (that was being demoed) was 4 story, and it was empty. There's an empty lot next to that, because they tore down the old Les Gals peep show building a couple weeks ago.
Pretty sure most of the injured were folks shopping at the Salvation Army.
I'd put my money on the demo company being completely at fault for this.
I wish I had a picture of how that building looked this morning or yesterday before the collapse...it made you not want to sneeze near it.

Who knew that "movie" was the last "adult theater" in Philly?

Have to find a link where they said the contractor is a crook or something.

Poor woman trapped for 12 hours is not doing too well, but was talking to the firemen.

Daughter: Pa. contractor 'devastated' by deaths

The daughter of the demolition contractor involved in the Philadelphia building collapse that killed six people says her father is "devastated" about what happened.

------------------------

She identified herself as Campbell's daughter and said he wasn't home but he "is devastated. He's mourning the loss of those people just like everyone else."

She says her father has a lawyer but declined to provide the attorney's name.

https://www.ksl.com/?sid=25480599&n...vastated-by-deaths&fm=home_page&s_cid=queue-1

I can't imagine demolishing a building with the building next door occupied... is this how its done in the city? God bless the victims.

WagaraTapaTalk

944499_569355426420267_1787893766_n.jpg

485421_569355473086929_979054884_n.jpg

This is the scene, about 24 hours after the collapse.
This is a tragedy, and absolutely should have been prevented.

I can't imagine demolishing a building with the building next door occupied... is this how its done in the city? God bless the victims.

WagaraTapaTalk

There are a few other demolitions going on within 3-4 blocks of this site, and the homes and businesses around them are still occupied. That isn't anything unusual for here.

Unfortunately, we also have plenty of self-demolishing abandoned homes, warehouses, etc, that are rotting from years of neglect. And for quite a few of them, we're running on luck alone that they haven't collapsed yet.
I'd love to think that this tragic situation may help to change that, but I really doubt it.

[video=youtube;pPnMSpSUHbA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPnMSpSUHbA[/video]

Found somebody's good video of the crew demolishing Hoagie City, maybe a day or two before the collapse.
That green thing the guy with the hose is standing in front of is an entrance to the green line subway-surface trolley.
And yes, the excavator is on the friggin sidewalk, tearing down chunks of building.

I am really angry that this happened as it did. How in the hell was that thrift store allowed to be open while the demolition was going on?

No excuse for anyone involved in this totally preventable tragedy!

:stormingmad:

Victims of Philadelphia building collapse

http://www.centurylink.net/news/rea...victims_of_philadelphia_building_collaps-ap-2

PHILADELPHIA (AP) — Six people were killed when a building being demolished collapsed Wednesday and nearly obliterated an adjacent Salvation Army thrift store.

The mayor's office identified the victims as Anne Bryan, Roseline Conteh, Borbor Davis, Kimberly Finnegan, Juanita Harmin and Mary Simpson.

Here are their stories:.........more......

Mayor: Philly overhauling how demolitions are done

http://www.centurylink.net/news/rea...p-lawsuit_gains_speed_after_philly_buildin-ap

.........The collapse also has the city preparing to implement sweeping changes in its regulations of building demolition, Mayor Michael Nutter said Friday, adding that every active demolition site is being inspected for safety.

The planned changes include all new requirements for demolition, including site safety plans, inspections by engineers and prohibitions on the use of machinery if the site is next to an occupied building. Other proposed changes would include mandatory drug testing for heavy machinery operators and background checks.

"We will not accept the status quo in the face of this tragedy," Nutter said..............

"This is the most egregious construction accident I think I've ever been involved in," said Mongeluzzi, who has represented hundreds of plaintiffs in construction accidents and is considered a top lawyer in the field.

The lawyers received permission Friday from a judge to bring in experts to videotape and photograph the continuing demolition work by the city from a safe distance. Common Pleas Court Judge Ellen Ceisler ruled that once the site is deemed safe, experts for all parties can inspect the remaining debris.........

More at 4 page article...

CNN reporting crane operator's blood tests have come back showing marijuana and pain killers in his system at the time of the building collapse.
I will try to find a link.

Ok. this article says he was a backhoe operator. (maybe a backhoe and crane operator are the same? Link calls it crane, article calls it backhoe)

Lots of info at the link below.
http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/local/Crane-Operator-Had-Drugs-in-His-System--210608021.html

Sean Benschop, 42, will face six counts of involuntary manslaughter as well as counts of risking a catastrophe and reckless endangerment for his role in the collapse, sources say.

Philadelphia Police detectives raided Benschop's home along the 4900 block of North 7th Street in the Olney section of Philadelphia around 4:30 p.m. Friday

Benschop's whereabouts are currently unknown. Neighbors tell NBC10 that investigators were asking them if they had seen the man. Neighbors replied they hadn't seen him in some time.

Benschop is a convicted felon and lists himself as self-employed, sources say.

Why is this collapse smelling so fishy? Imo

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LightInv
Back