TX - Longview, WhtFem (UP 9863), 41-50, Suicide - Assumed Identity, Dec'10

Status
Not open for further replies.
I work in banking and we're not required to keep documentation beyond five years however we often find documents much older like signature cards from when the account was initially opened. There's no way to begin searching bank documents without an image of the check though. The bank would have to a name, account number, or social to even begin searching. If there's no check, there's no way to narrow it down though.

How about banking records? Looks like the BC request was paid for by cheque ('check').

I thought about that and thought perhaps money order that was handled as check due to it having a series number.

I thought about that and thought perhaps money order that was handled as check due to it having a series number.

By virtue of it being paid for by cheque...I am more inclined to believe that she did not go in person to get a copy and that it was likely mailed out to her. Probably to a residence at, or near, her Boise address. I think she was most likely there for at least May/June (95% hunch).

Devil's advocate. Let's just assume that despite the identity theft and reinvention, that much of the rest of what she claimed was true. Maybe she was the only child, of now deceased parents, who spent a significant portion of her childhood travelling....that may explain why no one can identify her today.

The Easy-Bake oven wish could also be as a result of an 'over-wealthy childhood'.

Devil's advocate. Let's just assume that despite the identity theft and reinvention, that much of the rest of what she claimed was true. Maybe she was the only child, of now deceased parents, who spent a significant portion of her childhood travelling....that may explain why no one can identify her today.

The Easy-Bake oven wish could also be as a result of an 'over-wealthy childhood'.

Speaking of traveling, maybe JD had been a "traveler" sometimes known as Roma or Gypsy.

Speaking of traveling, maybe JD had been a "traveler" sometimes known as Roma or Gypsy.

I highly doubt that because they have generations of loyalty ingrained into their social structure.

You can tell a lot about a person just by there daily habits and strentghs and weaknesses. It is too bad her husband does not talk. He might have a lot of valuable information. Simple information, like could she cook, what type of stuff did she cook. how did she do her laundry. Was she comfortable with these chores. I read she did not know how to care for her baby. That to me would be inconsistent for a women growing up in some polygamous cult. There is so much I bet her husband could tell us. If only he would talk! To me she seems like someone who was working to build a life as opposed to hiding from a former life. Someone who just did not have the documentation she needed to be an adult in this world. Someone who ran from foster care, or was an abducted child. Someone lonely, sad and hurting. JMO.

This may have been discussed earlier and I missed it, but...
Can one really get a drivers license and use a previous photo?

I wondered about this myself. Is that drivers license valid or a fake? I wonder if LE looked at that issue. Big gap in looks there. I have wondered if the early LEK In pictures really is the same person as the later ones, particularly because of the nose thing. But something else about them is different too. Just can't put my finger on it. Brightness of the eyes or something.

I have never heard of that. I was ALWAYS required to get a new picture every time I got a drivers license.

I recently renewed my license online and they used the pic from the previous one. I seriously doubt anyone has been allowed to give an old picture for a driver license. If that were the case, MOST people would bring in their photos for driver licenses as those photos are known to be awful for most people.

Maybe she was a "motel kid". I had never heard of this before hearing Pepper Smith's story, but apparently there are quite a few kids who flit from motel to motel and never have a real home.

The motels Berthelot and the girls wound up in were full of drunks, drug addicts and prostitutes, many with children suffering the same appalling neglect as Pepper and her sister.
One reason Pepper has been driven to tell her story is to throw a spotlight on the plight of America’s 'motel kids'.

She knows she and her sister are just two children out of an unfortunate cast of tens of thousands who suffered an equally terrible upbringing and still do. For example, in 2011, 2,000 children were thought to be living in motels in the Anaheim area of California alone.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ory-woman-kidnapped-toddler-40-YEARS-ago.html

I wondered about this myself. Is that drivers license valid or a fake? I wonder if LE looked at that issue. Big gap in looks there. I have wondered if the early LEK In pictures really is the same person as the later ones, particularly because of the nose thing. But something else about them is different too. Just can't put my finger on it. Brightness of the eyes or something.

I agree she looks a little different (besides rhe nose) but I think it's because she's younger and "fresher". I don't know how to explain it other than when I look at pics of myself from 20 years ago I just look younger and slightly more baby-faced. You don't always notice it about yourself or others until you see old photos. Sigh.

There is a "Lorna" cheynoweth who was supposedly "blood atoned" but her body has never been found. She was / is one of evril's wives.

I have a pic on mine from the first time I got the pic taken. The way to do it is to request it by mail and pay in advance before it expires. ( I did it online). They will do it if your address has not changed. Mine had, but I know the person living there and asked them to keep it for me to pick up. If she had a mail drop listed as her addy, then that wouldn't be a problem. My hair is super short in the pic, and now it is a different color and shoulder length...AND I was four years younger. I wonder how long I could get away with it, lol

Claire and Mel,

Question:
Are the opinions in the Seattle Times article based on the assumptions and words of LEK's in-laws (specifically her mother in-law)?

I take it her husband hasn't given much of an interview since he rarely speaks for himself.

Question:
Do either of you feel the word "matronly" used as description of her clothing is more of a personal dig rather than the reality of what she did wear? If so, why do you feel that way?

I'm asking these questions because both have bugged me from the get go. I really do not understand what matronly would mean when applied to a woman who by all photographic evidence seemed to be rather youthful in her smile and dressed conservatively, rather the opposite of what I'd picture in my mind to be matronly. I sort of take that to mean ill fitting clothing that's out of style etc.

Like both of you, I agree that the description of a woman who was socially outcasted and "frumpy" is a stark contrast from a beaming lady attending business conferences. She obviously is ambitious, I think we all can agree with that. She pays attention to detail, tends to apply herself in her ventures and networked to make them all flourish. She couldn't have been that distraught and paranoid if she's in attendance to social gatherings of many - where it looks as though she was on a panel (?) of speakers maybe.. but none the less, she posed in photos and seems to be caring on with others. She looks physically put together and healthy. Granted, she is thinner than in the photo with the child but it appears as though the baby is very young (we only see the back of the head but I can't image the infant being more than 3 months). So I assume that's her child and probably soon after the birth, of course she would be a bit heavier there than she was towards the end of her life.

I'm starting to pick apart the articles and take out opinions that are being posed as factual information. I just do not know how trustworthy any of her last day accounts are, when they come from people that from the tone of things - didn't get along well with LEK. The article is intriguing but it also has many negative things strewn about.

The article does seem to be one sided- no quotes from her work associates, other playgroup mothers or anything like that. I am in no way accusing the R family of dishonesty, but they were on one side of a very messy marriage breakup.

We dont have many pics of LER, but to look at the pics that we have I would not look at her and think "matronly". She appears to be a well presented, attractive woman.

I found it interesting in the article that former mother in law was saying about her not liking to hand the baby over to anyone, and her former husband saying she didnt look like she had much experience with babies. For me, this reminded me of myself! I hadn't had much experience with babies when I had my first, and I was pretty jumpy. I didnt like going to my mother in laws either, because she too saw herself as a baby person and had no end of "helpful" advice that made me feel worthless. From the little bits of information that we have, I can kind of understand why LER might have been criticising her husbands family. They see so involved. The brother not only went to marriage counselling, but also spoke for his brother in these sessions!!! I know some families are very close and this kind of thing might be ok for people who are use to it, but LER had been out on her own for a long time. I dont want to sound like I am criticising this family, because I dont know them and it sounds as though they have been through enough. Just highlighting that there are two sides to every story, and the article really only shows one side.

The article does seem to be one sided- no quotes from her work associates, other playgroup mothers or anything like that. I am in no way accusing the R family of dishonesty, but they were on one side of a very messy marriage breakup.

We dont have many pics of LER, but to look at the pics that we have I would not look at her and think "matronly". She appears to be a well presented, attractive woman.

I found it interesting in the article that former mother in law was saying about her not liking to hand the baby over to anyone, and her former husband saying she didnt look like she had much experience with babies. For me, this reminded me of myself! I hadn't had much experience with babies when I had my first, and I was pretty jumpy. I didnt like going to my mother in laws either, because she too saw herself as a baby person and had no end of "helpful" advice that made me feel worthless. From the little bits of information that we have, I can kind of understand why LER might have been criticising her husbands family. They see so involved. The brother not only went to marriage counselling, but also spoke for his brother in these sessions!!! I know some families are very close and this kind of thing might be ok for people who are use to it, but LER had been out on her own for a long time. I dont want to sound like I am criticising this family, because I dont know them and it sounds as though they have been through enough. Just highlighting that there are two sides to every story, and the article really only shows one side.

I agree that part of the situation is just a mismatch of "family style", I too would really be freaked out if my partner's brother came to a couple's counseling session! But I know some people might not be. Even if LER hadn't been using a fake identity and hadn't been essentially living on her own for ages, she could have found their family style really foreign and hard to deal with, if she grew up in a different family, in a different area for example the North West as has been suggested, in a large city... Maybe LER assumed she could continue to blend in as she had before, but it didn't work. Either way, it's a really sad situation for everyone involved before you even take the false identity into account

Apparently there was a brief mention of the Jane Doe/Lori Ruff on a North Texas NPR station yesterday. "Five stories that have North Texas talking: ...(snipped) East Texas identity thief's family realizes they have no idea who she really was." Here is the link, the story is about 1/2 down the page. http://keranews.org/post/texas-school-districts-arming-employees-doesn-t-cost-much

Think You’re Smooth, “Don Draper?” Meet “Lori Ruff:” The true identity of a woman who changed her name in a Dallas court in 1988 remains unknown.

(snipped)

Seattle Times readers who think they can plot a point on the woman’s byzantine past are commenting in droves. Writer Maureen O’Hagan explained her quest to help crack the case recently via On The Media. [Seattle Times]

More legs for this thread. There's a lot of cult speculation to get through -- possible but I think it is a bit of a long shot. I agree there is some resemblance between JEK and "the mother" -- certainly in the ears, though the cheekbones don't seem a great fit.

A few other comments:

1) The children of extremely religious (or cultish) families often act out. If you look, at any given time there are a surprising number of folks in *advertiser censored* who came from Mormon families.
2) That 303 number. Whomever asked again, I hope they finally went back into the thread and found that most interesting post on how that number was used to look up numbers in other states (most likely Arizona in this case)
3) Misspellings on a note like this I think do little to exclude someone from being from one part of the country or another.
4) An excellent point being raised about veracity of the license, though I would think the SSA investigator would have vetted it. Back in the day, those license machines were regularly stolen and you could get a "real" fake ID pretty easily, especially in a college town.

The timeline and geography is still most important I think, and the holes in those are the most frustrating, of course.

I know there is a LOT of speculation in this thread on ID but I kept thinking stacey P but the age is wrong. THEN I thought of her mother. Who; is missing still to this day as is stacey. A bit ot but I think that DP may have known Stacey's mother and at some point, had something to do with her going missing as well. I'd love access to his files as a cop to prove that he did know stacey's mother. Or arrested her at some point, etc. I think she looks like Stacey. Does anyone have a photo of Stacey Peterson's mother?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname