CA CA - Bryce Laspisa, 19, Castaic, 30 Aug 2013 - #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure what the Mod's think, but we do have to be considerate of the family members that may be reading this. They are going through enough and listing it as a possible stressor should be sufficient with the rather extensive post listing the conviction.

Just my opinion. I don't want them to feel they cannot post here without being "judged" about how they handle an internal family issue.

I'm sorry, but I have to disagree. It's the family members' choice to read/post on this board. We should be able to discuss freely without fearing that we're hurting someone's feelings. I also believe the uncle said he doesn't get offended by anything we say on here, so I think we should.

No disrespect intended, but the KFI interview did not shed even 1/2 of the light that is covered here on WS. I realize it is keeping the case alive and in the MSM, but that's it.

Yup... saw it earlier...but was told not to discuss the drug issue. Asked about the money being regulated to try to bring it in through that way, but was told it was normal to keep a reign on the money... so I dropped it.

Now that someone else has brought it up, typically in those convictions, the charges are higher and plea bargained down. ;) Think about that a bit... changes the course of the investigation...

More than experimented...which I don't blame the uncle for not knowing. I imagine it was kept hush hush between the parents and Bryce. Most parents don't want the neighborhood, and other parents and family to know about it. So no biggie that he didn't know.

Was kinda figuring it would be brought up with the lighter being found at the crash sight.

BBM
YES!!!!! Sometimes the amount is more and sometimes there are lesser amounts of other drugs involved that they drop.

But we still go back to what was so important about the boat ramp itself that made him want to get in there to a degree that he looked for an unauthorized egress point when he found the gates locked, and the very real chance he could run into a Park Ranger and risk being detained.

There had to be some driving force to make him want to throw caution to the wind and get to the boat ramp by any means. It is the only point on the lake were he could coast the Highlander in with enough speed to have it float out before sinking. Anywhere along the shore line would have left is sticking out of the water or shallow enough to be noticed by boaters, swimmers or aircraft. The getting stuck and/or rolling it over was a game changer. If he was attempting suicide, he could have jumped off the dam or any dock and not bothered with the Highlander.

Ask any police officer what they find when they go magnet fishing off any park boat ramp, fish ladder or dock. In Philadelphia they checked off a boat ramp for the car in the Sharpless missing person case and found eleven cars they did not know were there. I have a lake near me where they yearly check off the boat ramp for cars...and find them.
If going with the theory that, at 2:00am in an area he was reportedly unfamiliar with, he saw that there was a lake and saw a sign for a boat ramp and at that point decided he intended to get to the boat ramp by any means, then it could be thought that he wanted to sink the car and "disappear" and start over. Or maybe sink himself.

It could also be thought that he just wanted to get to the lake or off the side of the road to a quiet place. To reflect, if he was upset. To sleep without being disturbed. Or that he thought that tower was part of some other building that could help him, or the gateway to the lake when the main gate on the road was closed at night. At 2:00am, he might not have been functioning very well, so he could have interpreted that egress as a service road that would just be a quiet place to sleep. Again, having done exactly that at various times in my life, it doesn't seem out of bounds that that is a possibility. Parking on the side of the road means LE might stop and see if you are OK, then tell you to move on, or you get vehicle lights flashing at you all night, and you run the risk of someone hitting you when you are next to the road. (I wore tracks in many a roadway for 17 years.)

And there is always the possibility that he just wanted to crash the vehicle (can't rule that one out yet, but I just don't see it)

No disrespect intended, but the KFI interview did not shed even 1/2 of the light that is covered here on WS. I realize it is keeping the case alive and in the MSM, but that's it.

KFI ain't got nothing on us! :rockon:

I'm sorry, but I have to disagree. It's the family members' choice to read/post on this board. We should be able to discuss freely without fearing that we're hurting someone's feelings. I also believe the uncle said he doesn't get offended by anything we say on here, so I think we should.

Thing is, we also have to remember that this is a victim friendly site. That the family of a missing member are also victims. Granted we should be able to discuss what is relevant to the case, but at the same time keeping in mind that by posting things that may not be true in our speculation, we are victimizing the victims in this or any other case. And I guess hurting a victim's feelings goes in line with that. FWIW. I dunno. Ask a moderator. We've been told enough that there are things we can't discuss in this case.

If we don't comply and we get told once too often, the thread gets shut down. For DAYS, WEEKS even. I don't think anyone wants that.

Okay, kinda sad reading the good samaritan's post on the FIND FB page, he is committed to what he has discovered in Port Orford, but LE has not verified (that town is quite protective of itself, IMPO!!) so it is a trying situation. Here's the informant's post - and you can read the rest on the FINDBryce page link below:

This posted just a little bit ago, and Brian has responded: Find Bryce Laspisa FB Post Darn...

Why can't posts from people on FB and sightings be more concrete? Here's another post that doesn't give concrete information. Why can;t the guy says exactly what he saw and knows instead of cryptic info and "this is how it ends" whining? Sorry!!!!! It's just irritating!

What confuses me is if he was under supervision how would he be able to leave the state? I know here in Ca. If your on probation you are not allowed to leave the state.

Is supervision not the same as probation?

It's not. I checked it out. See my answer below!

In my day, pot was sold by the ounce (or by the pound ):1 oz, 1/2oz, or 1/4 oz. were usual amounts, and usually affordable if friends pooled their money.

Bryce's misdemeanor conviction for possession of 10-30 grams of marijuana suggests he was busted with less than an ounce, and that it was for his personal use. Had it been packaged for re-sale, there would have been additional charges for distribution.

The Sept. 12, 2013, San Diego Reader has an ad for medical marijuana for sale in amounts of 1/8 oz for $40.00, 1 ounce for $150.00, and 1 ounce of "indoor shake" for $110.00. All you need is a "pot card", which a "new patient" can get for $30.00 next door to the "pharmacy".

IMO, Bryce could have covered the expense of his personal supply of pot by re-selling 1/2 oz by gram weight, but he wouldn't have been making much money that way.

Okay, so Bryce's charge was for a class A misdemeanor which would result in time of no more than a year and a fine of $2,500.00. It is not a felony charge but is one step below.

This amount of marijuana was more than a tiny amount but nowhere close to dealing levels. In fact, his charges were subject to being totally dismissed if he completed his "supervision" period and everything he needed to per the court. This is similar, it appears, to a diversionary program in CA.

Basically, he was charged with having a personal use amount of pot, but more than just one toke. So possibly a small baggy. It looks like he completed supervision but may have something else to do before his charge is dismissed. And don't freak out, people that it has been over a year. These cases routinely stretch out a bit longer:
(720 ILCS 550/4) (from Ch. 56 1/2, par. 704)
Sec. 4. It is unlawful for any person knowingly to possess cannabis. Any person who violates this section with respect to:
(a) not more than 2.5 grams of any substance containing cannabis is guilty of a Class C misdemeanor;
(b) more than 2.5 grams but not more than 10 grams of
any substance containing cannabis is guilty of a Class B misdemeanor;
(c) more than 10 grams but not more than 30 grams of
any substance containing cannabis is guilty of a Class A misdemeanor; provided, that if any offense under this subsection (c) is a subsequent offense, the offender shall be guilty of a Class 4 felony;
(d) more than 30 grams but not more than 500 grams of
any substance containing cannabis is guilty of a Class 4 felony; provided that if any offense under this subsection (d) is a subsequent offense, the offender shall be guilty of a Class 3 felony;
(e) more than 500 grams but not more than 2,000 grams
of any substance containing cannabis is guilty of a Class 3 felony;
(f) more than 2,000 grams but not more than 5,000
grams of any substance containing cannabis is guilty of a Class 2 felony;
(g) more than 5,000 grams of any substance containing
cannabis is guilty of a Class 1 felony.
(Source: P.A. 90-397, eff. 8-15-97.)
http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/ilcs3.asp?ActID=1937&ChapterID=53
A Class A misdemeanor offense is ranked as the most serious misdemeanor. It is one step below a felony offense.
The judge is permitted to sentence the defendant to up to one year in jail and fine him $2,500. See 730 ILCS 5/5‑4.5‑55.
The law requires the court to warn the defendant of this maximum penalty during the arraignment and prior to accepting a plea of guilty. The notion is, the court is not bound by any agreement reached by the State and defendant in a negotiated plea. By warning the defendant of the maximum, basically the court is reserving the right to sentence him to something more than what was agreed to. If this occurs, the defendant cannot complain on appeal that he pled guilty without knowing he would go to jail.
In addition to the 364 days in jail and fine of $2,500, the judge is also authorized to sentence the defendant to any of the following:

• Supervision. This sentence is not a conviction. Rather, the court will not enter a judgment against the defendant and continue the case for a period of time (typically one year). At the end of that period, if the defendant has performed all that was asked of him and not violated the law, the court will dismiss the charges. See 730 ILCS 5/5-6-3.1.
http://www.criminallawyerillinois.com/2011/02/13/what-is-a-class-a-misdemeanor-in-illinois/
Perhaps I'm crazy, but this seems like a run of the mill pot possession charge. Pot is almost as widely used as alcohol, really, and this does not make me buy into the "Bryce as drug runner or hiding from the law" themes. People from all walks of life get charged with possessing amounts similar to this.

However, drug use may be relevant to this case. I don't disagree with that at all.

Totally O/T. I just looked up that case and that creepy old man scares the crap out of me. His YouTube,Twitter and blog are just disgusting. Either he had something to do with her going missing or just some plain creep obsessed with her case.

The only difference I see is all the planning. She packed her stuff, emptied her accounts, mapquested and google searched. BL's seemed very spontaneous.

BTW has there been any news his laptop. After a month they have to have something.

I see these cases as pretty different. I mean, the level of planning by Maura was intense and she was actually spotted alive and well at the scene of the accident. Also, although she was acting weird, there is no evidence she was up for hours or days or had ingested drugs (alcohol, perhaps).

Thanks for posting:

this is all I got, do not know what was at beginning

per Brian David (uncle, mother's brother) via telephone re Bryce:

Brian stays busy on computer; 3,000 miles away trying to help

difficult for parents

re sitings: ups and downs, hopeful, keeping the faith we will find him alive and safe

Maybe we need to send a list of questions to Bill Carroll or John and Ken regarding this case. What do you guys think?

True.

He could not have jumped off the damn. It slops down and he would have just rolled. If he jumped off a dock he would float. IF he was suicidal he could have been thinking the car would weigh him down. I

If he was trying to start a new life, he could have been trying to get the car into the lake and instead crashed it.

Or if he is having some kind of mental break, he could be hallucinating.

Thank you again for your observations. So many possibilities. It's hard to know what happened here. I think if he got into the water, unless he purposefully weighed himself down, he would have popped up by now. There simply isn't enough brush or debris in that lake to catch a body and push it down, I think. The visibility is excellent and it is a man-made lake. Again, for those who haven't seen it, it's not like a lake in the bayou or in a heavily forested area.

If Bryce wandered off and died, I think he is more likely to be in the surrounding area, perhaps the more forested areas a few miles away, or perhaps his remains were eaten by hungry animals in the area and were closer by but too hard to spot as a result.

That may be true but we have always been a victim-friendly site so the rules can be strict regarding what we can post and how we post. I know in another case I really wanted to discuss my suspicions about family of the victim but we weren't allowed to in any detail and it's a good thing we couldn't because my suspicions did not bear out at all!!! I know that's a different scenario than here, though. Hopefully the mods will clarify what we can and can't discuss here because I'm a little confused right now about that.

It also helps to more accurately decipher one of BL's screen names shared by an earlier poster: "Purple K Fire"
More than likely this references "Purple Kush" a type of marijuana known among users for it's intense and prolonged "high".

I have qualms about his nick having to do with that, when I was searching around I found a product named Purple-K by Fusion (creatine) that body builders use, there have been references to BL lifting weights so it seems to me it's more likely that is where the nick derives from.

Thank you again for your observations. So many possibilities. It's hard to know what happened here. I think if he got into the water, unless he purposefully weighed himself down, he would have popped up by now. There simply isn't enough brush or debris in that lake to catch a body and push it down, I think. The visibility is excellent and it is a man-made lake. Again, for those who haven't seen it, it's not like a lake in the bayou or in a heavily forested area.

If Bryce wandered off and died, I think he is more likely to be in the surrounding area, perhaps the more forested areas a few miles away, or perhaps his remains were eaten by hungry animals in the area and were closer by but too hard to spot as a result.

Oh no. I didn't mean he was in the water. I mean assuming he had gotten the car down to the lake, he would have used it to weigh himself down AKA drive the car into the lake.

And I agree. I believe if he did not leave the area he is probably off in the woods somewhere. :)

Why can't posts from people on FB and sightings be more concrete? Here's another post that doesn't give concrete information. Why can;t the guy says exactly what he saw and knows instead of cryptic info and "this is how it ends" whining? Sorry!!!!! It's just irritating!

Okay, so Bryce's charge was for a class A misdemeanor which would result in time of no more than a year and a fine of $2,500.00. It is not a felony charge but is one step below.

This amount of marijuana was more than a tiny amount but nowhere close to dealing levels. In fact, his charges were subject to being totally dismissed if he completed his "supervision" period and everything he needed to per the court. This is similar, it appears, to a diversionary program in CA.

Basically, he was charged with having a personal use amount of pot, but more than just one toke. So possibly a small baggy. It looks like he completed supervision but may have something else to do before his charge is dismissed. And don't freak out, people that it has been over a year. These cases routinely stretch out a bit longer:

Perhaps I'm crazy, but this seems like a run of the mill pot possession charge. Pot is almost as widely used as alcohol, really, and this does not make me buy into the "Bryce as drug runner or hiding from the law" themes. People from all walks of life get charged with possessing amounts similar to this.

However, drug use may be relevant to this case. I don't disagree with that at all.

I see these cases as pretty different. I mean, the level of planning by Maura was intense and she was actually spotted alive and well at the scene of the accident. Also, although she was acting weird, there is no evidence she was up for hours or days or had ingested drugs (alcohol, perhaps).

Maybe we need to send a list of questions to Bill Carroll or John and Ken regarding this case. What do you guys think?

That may be true but we have always been a victim-friendly site so the rules can be strict regarding what we can post and how we post. I know in another case I really wanted to discuss my suspicions about family of the victim but we weren't allowed to in any detail and it's a good thing we couldn't because my suspicions did not bear out at all!!! I know that's a different scenario than here, though. Hopefully the mods will clarify what we can and can't discuss here because I'm a little confused right now about that.

Thank you very much! I was hoping you would comment. I have two questions for you, the first is the bolded section above (BBM) how do you know from the report online that he has something else to do before his charge is dismissed? (I know nothing of how to read court documents like this online or is it simply because it is still showing up online.) The second question, is there any way to tell if random drug testing would have been a condition of his supervision (or is it something that would be on a case by case basis?) Thank you in advance.

This case makes me so sad. I genuinely think in my. Heart that he is alive, maybe he drove out to the location for a drug deal that went wrong? Maybe he is embarrassed to have caused such worry and heartache and fears it would mess up his misdemeanor charge?

:twocents:

I couldn't agree more with my learned friend. :twocents:

Sorry - meant to quote the other post....still new at this....

If the possession carries a fine of $2500, then why was the fine they paid $7500 according to the link posted earlier? Seems odd the fine the court assessed in that case is so much higher.

The Find Bryce fb page is down. I wonder if there's some news... It's time for Bryce to come home! Such a puzzling and sad case.

The Find Bryce fb page is down. I wonder if there's some news... It's time for Bryce to come home! Such a puzzling and sad case.

Yes, I just tried the link as well and the page is down.

Just regarding the blood evidence and other things. Blood results would take less than 24 hours. Even if a laptop is 'wiped', unless you put a screwdriver or something through the hard drive it is retrievable. I would be very surprised if the laptop wasn't intact.
IMO the results are through but basically - it's none of our business.
Police have their own reasons for withholding information.
Let's hope the FB page being down means some good news and/or positive developments in this sad case. :twocents: :rose:
JMO

From FB page ...

Looks like a billboard - location? Or image/graphic just made to look like a billboard?

??? "Medical Needs" ???

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10201441478592381&set=o.619709491406791&type=1&theater

[Blows margins by just a little so I left it.]

ETA: If you quote this message, please delete image
so we don't blow the margins on subsequent pages. Thx!

1383821_10201441478592381_1189457271_n.jpg

W

RSBM & BBM - except this fine was $7,500 not $2,500. What would be the reasoning for that if what you say above is, in fact, true?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rayne_solves