WA - Mackenzie Cowell, 17, Wenatchee, 9 Feb 2010 - #11

Status
Not open for further replies.
An article published January 2010 about the state crime lab said this:

The science of fighting crime isn't like TV shows where complex lab work takes minutes. Much of the work is painstakingly slow, Hebert said. A diligent ballistics examiner, for example, may process about eight cases a month.

Processing evidence within a month of when it is collected by police is the lab's acceptable standard, Hebert said. But of the six different kinds of analysis conducted by the state lab, the one-month deadline is met in only two areas.

Testing for DNA on average takes two months. Fingerprint exams take about 47 days. Microanalysis - looking at fibers, shoe prints and other evidence - can take about five months.

As it relates to Mackenzie...

Feb 13

+ 60 days = DNA - April 14

+ 47 days = Fingerprints - April 1 (Mackenzie's birthday)

+ 5 months = Fiber, footprint, microanalysis - July 13 +/-

I think I remember the task force saying that they expected prelim results to be back within a couple of weeks of Mackenzie being found. So they should already have some results back, but probably not enough to make an arrest.

Let's hope that the certified results come back when they're supposed to, and that we see an arrest sometime between April 1 and April 15. What a statement it would make if her killer is arrested on her 18th birthday.

Maybe the non released video shows the car following MC?Maybe the guy just looks at her and doesn't do anything else. Maybe.. the police want us to identify the car if we know whose it is. I don't think MC acknowledged the guy, or even saw him.

If this guy followed her, maybe he joined up with her, at the boat dock???

Oh, I think they know...especially if he followed her. I think they just put the video out there to keep people busy! JMHO

I had a thought about the rumored Target video not being released. Perhaps this video does not contain what LE was hoping someone might see in the released parking lot video...a particular vehicle...what do you think?

BBM

Speculation:
Ozz, based on what ARose posted, my thoughts are that this most likely isn't the reason that LE are withholding any video from Target, IF they even have video from Target.

(If LE doesn't have video from Target, and JV does work there - I say, "tsk, tsk!".)

More on the crime lab results:

Investigators are also waiting for lab results to come back, Jones said. He noted that DNA results take up to a month to be returned.

That article was published on March 2, so maybe April 1 is going to be the magic date. Sure hope so!

BBM

Speculation:
Ozz, based on what ARose posted, my thoughts are that this most likely isn't the reason that LE are withholding any video from Target, IF they even have video from Target.

(If LE doesn't have video from Target, and JV does work there - I say, "tsk, tsk!".)

What we're hearing through the grapevine about all of the friends and friends' friends being interviewed, I think that the department is doing a great job of casting the net wide.

I wonder if Washington's sunshine laws are like Florida's. Sure hope so. We'll get to learn about all that stuff we've been speculating about for the past month. It seems like it's been so much longer... hard to believe it's only been a few days over a month since her body was found.

Can someone give us out-of-towners an idea where the Shari's is, in relation to the boat dock, Target, and the Hair Academy, please?

Here is a map that shows where Target is, and where Shari's is. If you head down on the map, you will find Orondo street and if you follow it to the river you can see that it crosses the train tracks. That is where the boat launch at the bottom of Orondo street is located.
I am only familiar with the boat launch that is located at the bottom of 5th street, which is just a couple blocks from Gold's Gym. So, I think I posted the right map, as the paper said she was at the boat launch at the bottom of Orondo street.
Someone can correct me if I am wrong.

http://www.mapquest.com/maps?1c=Wen...n=sharis&2y=US&2l=47.4287&2g=-120.3309&2v=ZIP

Now, this next map shows you where the Academy of Hair design is in comparison to Gold's Gym.

http://www.mapquest.com/maps?1c=Wen...ld's+gym&2y=US&2l=47.4287&2g=-120.3309&2v=ZIP

Hopefully that helps. :)

Here is a map that shows where Target is, and where Shari's is. If you head down on the map, you will find Orondo street and if you follow it to the river you can see that it crosses the train tracks. That is where the boat launch at the bottom of Orondo street is located.
I am only familiar with the boat launch that is located at the bottom of 5th street, which is just a couple blocks from Gold's Gym. So, I think I posted the right map, as the paper said she was at the boat launch at the bottom of Orondo street.
Someone can correct me if I am wrong.

http://www.mapquest.com/maps?1c=Wen...n=sharis&2y=US&2l=47.4287&2g=-120.3309&2v=ZIP

Now, this next map shows you where the Academy of Hair design is in comparison to Gold's Gym.

http://www.mapquest.com/maps?1c=Wen...ld's+gym&2y=US&2l=47.4287&2g=-120.3309&2v=ZIP

Hopefully that helps. :)

2nd map reflects the distance between the hair academy and Shari's. Boat launch and Gold's Gym is within a couple of blocks of the hair academy. You can see Orondo street on the map.

I don't believe so, but I would think that people know people that work with him the same as WC and MC and JF! He's kinda been off limits. Actually, I do recall somebody way back in the beginning posting that he worked until 4, but I don't think I've read anyone say that they saw him there until 4 that day. IDK. I supposed somebody else could have had his car. What are the odds that a new guy would be driving the same vehicle? If there is somebody that knows for sure what he drives, that would be good to confirm it. As I said, I heard it in a conversation from someone that would know, but that makes it rumor.

I can do better than tell you what he drives... I can show you a photo! :D

From April 27 2009:

jvcar.jpg

It's a 2000 Civic.

I knew all the googling I'd done late at night waiting on these puppies to come would pay off eventually. haha!

I can do better than tell you what he drives... I can show you a photo! :D

From April 27 2009:

jvcar.jpg

It's a 2000 Civic.

I knew all the googling I'd done late at night waiting on these puppies to come would pay off eventually. haha!

Excellent Puf! So, his car has a spoiler, which should set it apart from other black Civics. You wouldn't happen to have a DOB, would you????

I really don't think that MC's boyfriend did this. If I saw anything that pointed in that direction, I would believe it but so far, nothing.

Does anyone else think that JV could have done this?

Speculation:

Yes, I certainly believe it's possible.

Why?

I actually believe the opposite. The more perps, the more a body is moved, transported, and messed with, the more forensic evidence is left behind. The more likely someone is to talk, or slip up.

A simple scenario, with minimal time spent = less evidence.

This case can certainly be analyzed multiple ways, perp or perp(s) -- perp walked home or was picked up (regarding car dump). We have few facts to work with, and I believe all of the above scenarios are plausible.

I believe the theory you've presented works quite well with at least two people that have been discussed, as well as an unknown perp that may have made an Internet connection with MC and she *thought she knew him,* this is actually why I previously stated that this murder has characteristics of someone close to her and other characteristics that, I believe, suggest "a not close" connection, at all. I can easily put together the reasons why she may have ended up the victim of an Internet stalker. And, yes, that stalker would have had to have had some knowledge about CB, but CB is not a big secret.

My hunch has been that there were more than one perps involved. That is based on geographical areas covered, time frames, assumption of how close the person was to her (at first glance nothing was unusual from LE looking at correspondence) and extent of activity perceived to have occurred at the CB property.

A TOD would certainly clarify much. Anxiously awaiting more confirmed facts, as we all are!

ETA: I didn't specifically answer your question as to Why? I believe it is not so simple, if it were, somebody would be announced as a suspect and in custody.

Catching up here....closely watched the YouTube video finally saw the person in the vehicle. I did notice something else about MC walking. Several posts back speculation about whether she was leaving for the day or not and having her arms full of stuff...not the case she has a bag/purse over her shoulder and kind of swinging her left arm....so my point...this doesn't conclusively show that she has packed up and left for the day. Although I am not sure how much stuff these students would be hauling back and forth I don't think you can conclude that she wasn't just going out for a coffee...it was Tuesday after all not like you know late in the day Friday ahh let's get out of here for the weekend sort of thing.

Excellent Puf! So, his car has a spoiler, which should set it apart from other black Civics. You wouldn't happen to have a DOB, would you????

lowes must pay alot for him to have a car like that.

I thought I did somewhere. Let me go look.

This case can certainly be analyzed multiple ways, perp or perp(s) -- perp walked home or was picked up (regarding car dump). We have few facts to work with, and I believe all of the above scenarios are plausible.

I believe the theory you've presented works quite well with at least two people that have been discussed, as well as an unknown perp that may have made an Internet connection with MC and she *thought she knew him,* this is actually why I previously stated that this murder has characteristics of someone close to her and other characteristics that, I believe, suggest "a not close" connection, at all. I can easily put together the reasons why she may have ended up the victim of an Internet stalker. And, yes, that stalker would have had to have had some knowledge about CB, but CB is not a big secret.

My hunch has been that there were more than one perps involved. That is based on geographical areas covered, time frames, assumption of how close the person was to her (at first glance nothing was unusual from LE looking at correspondence) and extent of activity perceived to have occurred at the CB property.

A TOD would certainly clarify much. Anxiously awaiting more confirmed facts, as we all are!

i would really like to know what would give someone the reason they did to kill such a nice girl. i also believe there was more than one person. i don't think they will stick around. it has to be someone not from this area. i have a feeling the family might of met this person. i also don't think the family was involved. but that is my idea.

Wow, puf! :toastred:
Super sleuthin' you did! :bowdown:

lowes must pay alot for him to have a car like that.

Lowe's???? He works for Target. He probably works very hard and saves his money! Maybe he works 2 jobs. You can get great deals if you are smart and shop. I've seen much younger kids driving fancier vehicles. I don't think you can make a judgement that someone's car is way above their means without a lot more facts. Now, if he was driving a Porsche...............! JMHO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Back