NY NY - Sylvia Lwowski, 22, Staten Island, 6 Sept 1975 - #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know what's weird-I have a paid subscription to Newspaper Archives, which is a source for accessing the Bedford Gazette archives for that time period, and when I pop in Sylvia's name, no records come up. This is supposedly one of the sources of information cited by the Charley Project

When you typed in her name did you use her full name, I had a subscription a long time ago, I would try different versions of the name, last name first, no middle name etc. It's really odd that we didn't have this information before.

When you typed in her name did you use her full name, I had a subscription a long time ago, I would try different versions of the name, last name first, no middle name etc. It's really odd that we didn't have this information before.

I first typed in just "Sylvia lwowski", and then "Sylvia Alice Lwowski", and, both times nothing-not sure what that indicates

I know! How did this happen? Did they get that from the police who finally said what he told them in 1975 (if they questioned him), or is this really brand-new? Wait-it can't be new (to the police)-if they never questioned him in 1975, there would be no reason to volunteer that her glasses were broken, and found in his car, if the police never searched it at the time. :notgood:

It explains why BF/F or someone said she got angry and threw her glasses against the dash.( only one witness to this)
If her glasses were broken, there would have to be an explaination given.

The question for me is... when did Bf/F give this statement and to whom?
Was it that night when he spoke to friends family?
Was it to the police when and if questioned?
I still don't understand why the glasses were not returned to her Mother, broken or not. Why would he keep them?
Who has them now?

Wouldn't a pair of broken glasses belonging to a missing woman who was last seen (AFAWK)by BF/F who says they argued raise a red flag?

I mean really, her glasses could have been broken in a fight, struggle.
And yet everyone seemed to accept the story of her running off

He must have told one He** of a tale

At this time, I can not accept the runaway theory at all.
She was young and inexperienced
She had no financial means
She left with nothing but what she was wearing
She broke her only pair of prescription glasses before taking off to start a new life
She never once tried to contact the people in her life who were her support system

It explains why BF/F or someone said she got angry and threw her glasses against the dash.( only one witness to this)
If her glasses were broken, there would have to be an explaination given.

The question for me is... when did Bf/F give this statement and to whom?
Was it that night when he spoke to friends family?
Was it to the police when and if questioned?
I still don't understand why the glasses were not returned to her Mother, broken or not. Why would he keep them?
Who has them now?

Wouldn't a pair of broken glasses belonging to a missing woman who was last seen (AFAWK)by BF/F who says they argued raise a red flag?

I realized that I worded my post awkwardly (lol)-I think it's possible that the police MAY have questioned BF/F in 1975, gotten that information from him, and still not made the leap to a possible "domestic violence" episode. I'd like to think that the police have them as possible evidence, but since I believe they dropped this investigation, I am more inclined to think that thy've been thrown away.

At this time, I can not accept the runaway theory at all.
She was young and inexperienced
She had no financial means
She left with nothing but what she was wearing
She broke her only pair of prescription glasses before taking off to start a new life
She never once tried to contact the people in her life who were her support system

This is where I am at this point too.

I first typed in just "Sylvia lwowski", and then "Sylvia Alice Lwowski", and, both times nothing-not sure what that indicates

My :twocents::
I think the last name is unusual enough that you could try that alone, if you haven't already. That way, if the story angle highlights another family member, such as the parents (e.g., "Parents Still Searching for Daughter After Almost 40 Years"), the last name could be introduced with their first names, and later say "their daughter sylvia" without a last name attached -- and your search would still turn it up. This search might also turn up other related/unrelated Lwowskis, which could be helpful.

When I first ran into this, one of my searches turned up three hits, IIRC, but I didn't have a subscription. Unfortunately, I can't remember exactly what I searched ... but probably just "Lwowski." Come to think of it, maybe also "Staten Island," since that would be unusual enough to find in a west PA paper.

One thought I had was that this west PA connection might also be an error. Not sure what the chances of that are. But in the SSN death files, I found two J Lwowskis, both born in 1914, one (Joseph F) from NJ (ours, I thought -- b. 9/11/14, d 1/11/93) and one from PA (no middle initial, b. 5/10/14, d. 8/1983). Could the PA JL be unrelated or a distant relation? You would think that incorrect info would not be linked to one of the "missing" sites, but I remember that details about what she was wearing were incorrect on one of them.

Okay, I should never go by memory. Here's a link to my original post, #579 in thread #1, but I will paste it here as well, BBM today:

"So, on the Charley Project page for SL, did anyone notice that there's two newspapers listed as sources? The Altoona Mirror, and The Bedford Gazette. Both are in PA -- what's up with that? The AM has no link to archives that I could see; and I could search the BG archives, but not access articles. Searching by Lwowski turned up 0 entries, but searching by "Staten Island" betw. 1972-76 turned up 7. I find this confusing, but haven't made any headway with it. What could the Charley Project find in these pages to base their "missing" post on? Was she born there (I am not sure whether the earlier discussion of her being born in Germany was verified or speculative)? Anyone with better skills than me (in other words, everyone) is invited to dig. "

ETA: I thought we might find SL's engagement notice in one of these.

Its been verified by Vi that Sylvia was born in Frankfurt, Germany

( somewhere in one of the two threads)

By the end of this week, there will be a $25,000 reward for anyone providing information that leads to an arrest and conviction in this case or for information leading to the whereabouts of Sylvia dead or alive.
The roll out will commence on 4/12/2013.

Bumping up roll out post. --Not sure how this works but I am wondering where the reward for information will be posted? How will it reach out to those who may know or remember something?

Staten Island? Neighborhoods? Schools? NYC?

Who /where do they contact with information? SI police? Cold Case Detective?

MMQC - do you recall what the roads were like that led to the mall, was it a major highway at that time or were there some residential homes near by, just wondering if it were possible that if they were at a red light, if she jumped out of the car was it then possible for her to run through back yards of a near by neighborhood?

In my wanderings I came across this article with some interesting period photographs of Staten Island life from the early 80’s. Maybe some were taken before then. -

Of interest is Photo #23 – “A goat, two ducks and a horse, graze on an undeveloped plot of land in a new neighborhood near the Staten Island Mall”. I remember reading somewhere that the mall opened in ’73? And I would guess there was much development of surrounding new neighborhoods happening back then…

Staten Island: Christine Osinski’s Unseen Photographs of New York City’s Forgotten Borough

Read more: http://lightbox.time.com/2012/05/29/christine-osinski/#ixzz2Qpn51w2M

I think that the references to The Altoona Mirror and the Bedford Gazette havr got to be a mistake on her Charley Project file-I really don't think there was ever anything in those papers that had anything to do with Sylvia's disappearance.

MMQC - do you recall what the roads were like that led to the mall, was it a major highway at that time or were there some residential homes near by, just wondering if it were possible that if they were at a red light, if she jumped out of the car was it then possible for her to run through back yards of a near by neighborhood?

This reminded me of something similar I wanted to ask:
MMQC, were any of those "lover's lane" type places you mentioned in an earlier post on the route from SL's home to the theater? Somewhere they could have stopped for a while before getting there for, say, a 7 PM showing?

In my wanderings I came across this article with some interesting period photographs of Staten Island life from the early 80’s. Maybe some were taken before then. -

Of interest is Photo #23 – “A goat, two ducks and a horse, graze on an undeveloped plot of land in a new neighborhood near the Staten Island Mall”. I remember reading somewhere that the mall opened in ’73? And I would guess there was much development of surrounding new neighborhoods happening back then…

Staten Island: Christine Osinski’s Unseen Photographs of New York City’s Forgotten Borough

Read more: http://lightbox.time.com/2012/05/29/christine-osinski/#ixzz2Qpn51w2M

Loved the pictures and the article, Rose. Thanks for sharing that.

Sylvia's glasses were never returned to the house of the parents after the night in question and further communications with the BF from that point forward were rude, hostile and fruitless.

This link isn't working for me, ASWDeerHunter -- it looks like WS inserted stars for the name of the site. If you can let us know what you we should see here, we can probably find it. You can say the name of the site without placing it in an address (like this: Web Sleuths Dot Com).

Quoting myself bc I think I found the site ASWDH is pointing us to -- Brian's Predictions Dot Com. Brian is a "lucid dreamer" and posts information about missing cases he "dreams" about. There's a video on SL's page in which he shares details of particular dreams -- including lottery numbers? Listening now for what he has to say about SL. URL headers suggests "2013-missing-found-safe-lwowski-sylvia."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Theb