GUILTY IN - Leon Walker, 5, tortured & killed, Gary, 28 April 2010

I have no idea how our children could be falling through the cracks like this child did?

What a crime, in itself.

JMHO
fran

PS....RIP little one. No one will hurt you ever again.
sincerely,
fran

My heart and mind is unable to process this treatment of a five year old boy.
God bless you little one.

Me too -- close to tears thinking back to my sons 6th birthday and the joy on his face. Gosh he'll be 13 in July! Real mothers know how nice it would be to turn back time and have those precious days back again.

My heart aches, my brain hurts, when I read such stories. Gonna go look in on my "not so little anymore" guy.

Rest in peace sweet one.

Mel

From same link:

One neighbor who did not want to be identified reportedly had Leon and his family over for Easter Sunday dinner.

The coroner and the police say when an unconscious Leon was brought to the hospital, he was covered in scars, including ligature marks on his arms.

"From what we could see, [it] looked like he was tortured. He was beaten from head to toe," said Sgt. William Fazekas, who was there on another matter. "In 21 years of doing this&it was the worst I have ever seen -- for any human being."

UM...excuse me?!?!?! This clearly wasn't a one-time occurrence since the child had already been found the previous Saturday after running away. And "scar" to me indicates that not all the wounds were fresh. So, this child was so severely scarred and no one...not one person...at Easter Dinner noticed it?!? And now the neighbor has the nerve to say it was a tragedy????

That neighbor needs a good smack.

Even worse yet...when Leon "ran away" to an abandoned house next door, the police were called...and no one from the police noticed him with wounds, and scars from head to toe? He would still be alive if just one Gary cop had done something. :furious:

The boy's body had up to 40 injury marks on it, said Gary police Sgt. William Fazekas, supervisor of the Violent Crimes Unit and lead investigator in the case.
Some of the marks may have been from past injuries, Fazekas said.

<snip>
His death was caused by trauma to the body so severe it shocked even longtime law enforcement officials.

"Leon had been reported missing from the house on Sunday but was found in an abandoned building and returned home, Fazekas said.
"They reported him missing, but there was no sign of wrong play at that time," Fazekas said.

Full story at link:

http://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/lake/96f009fb-bb29-5866-ab18-34e76483ceac.html

Above article also indicates other children aged 1-13 have been removed from the home.

It is incomprehendable how there was "no sign of wrong play" on this childs body 3-4 days prior to his being found badly beaten in his own home. Surely the coroner could determine the age of bruising and scars.

So we know neighbors possibly failed this child. However, neigbors are not mandatory reporters. There were other school age children in the home, did they attempt to tell anyone what was going on at home?

LE. What determination did LE make early Sunday morning when this child ran away and was found sleeping in an abandoned home that it was SAFE for this child to go home? What about a 5 yr old child running away and choosing to walk into and go to sleep in an abandoned home is NOT alarming to LE something might not be alright at home? Is it just me or does anyone get the feeling LE really missed the mark when this child was found -still alive- in the early hours of Sunday morning and decided it was safe for this child to go home? If LE missed the mark, what is their repercussion? The boy is dead, there is no going back in time to make a better decision.

This childs biological mother has been fully ruled out as as suspect (according to the earlier local news broadcast at 6pm, forget which channel) because she is currently in rehab and it sounded like she had been for some time. (at least she was trying to get herself some help.)

I think it is very possible this boys bio mom might have one heck of a civil lawsuit against LE for not protecting her child... amongst the other things that will come out regarding this case in due time.

Nobody heard this child being beat?

Un-believable.

RIP Leon. You are safe in Jesus arms now where no one will ever beat or harm you again. I just wish someone would have gotten you out of that environment before it led to this.....

Article at the link above now says:

"Police took a man and a woman into custody late Thursday in connection with the beating death of 5-year-old Leon D. Walker, of Gary, police Cmdr. Tom DeCanter said.

Charges of murder and neglect of a dependent will be filed early today with Lake County Prosecutor Bernard Carter, DeCanter said.

Police did not release the names of the pair in custody. Murder charges will be sought against at least one, and possibly both, of the suspects, DeCanter said."

it obviously has to be the people who had custody.

its a shame these cops didnt have the instincts the berkley cops that saved jaycee and her girls had.

and her the physical signs were so much more obvious. :(

Dad in custody. Police to question gf and grandmother as well.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Boy's beating 'worst thing I've ever seen'
Investigators visibly shaken by death of 5-year-old

snip..

The boy's father, Leon Burns, said the child was with his mother, Turquoise Walker, until about 8 p.m. Wednesday night. He told Patrolman Alex Jones he saw them in the parking lot of the currency exchange at Ridge Road and Broadway and brought Leon home from there.

Once at the residence, Burns said the boy complained about a stomach ache and said, "I think I got a boo boo," the police report states. Burns said he went into the kitchen to get the boy something to eat and when he returned to the living room, the child was on the floor, unconscious.

Investigators say they have evidence that disputes that story, including items at the home that suggest the boy was restrained while he was struck with an object, perhaps a belt.

http://www.post-trib.com/news/lake/2217118,New-gdead0430.article

If this isn't a case for the DP, I don't know what is. My heart breaks for this little one.

what the effffff is going on in this world. This is so sad

snip..

The boy's father, Leon Burns, said the child was with his mother, Turquoise Walker, until about 8 p.m. Wednesday night. He told Patrolman Alex Jones he saw them in the parking lot of the currency exchange at Ridge Road and Broadway and brought Leon home from there.

Once at the residence, Burns said the boy complained about a stomach ache and said, "I think I got a boo boo," the police report states. Burns said he went into the kitchen to get the boy something to eat and when he returned to the living room, the child was on the floor, unconscious.

Investigators say they have evidence that disputes that story, including items at the home that suggest the boy was restrained while he was struck with an object, perhaps a belt.

BBM. Well, considering our 6pm local news already stated police have ruled out the boys bio mom, because she is in inpatient rehab - and it was clear according to the newscase she has been there for sometime and this was all verified by LE - the boys father is clearly not telling the truth.

. What kind of adult does that to a kid? I too hope the gets the DP, if Indiana has the DP.

There seems to be an explosion in the number of these cases lately. An epidemic of child torture and murder.

What in the world is happening here??!!

There are monsters lurking in our communities.....

snip..

So, he's trying to say the mom did it? I will be very upset if we find out he was with his mom recently, since it was obvious he was being beaten, and she didn't do anything.

There seems to be an explosion in the number of these cases lately. An epidemic of child torture and murder.

What in the world is happening here??!!

Because low humans are having children as a source of income and then realize they can't take care of them. My guess is the bio dad didn't like paying child support or hated the bio mother. Whatever his motivation was it proves he is not worthy to live among decent people.

The newest marks on young Leon Walker's body covered dozens of deep, dark scars from the back of his head to the back of knees.

<snip>

Burns was in police custody Thursday being questioned about the child's injuries. The child's mother was questioned and released.

Police said they still needed to question Burns' live-in girlfriend, Rochelle Johnson, and Leon's grandmother, who lives in East Chicago, before they could present evidence to the prosecutor.

<snip>

Leon often spent long periods of time with his maternal grandmother in East Chicago, police said.

Detectives may need to wait for a final coroner's report before they file charges, Fazekas said. He declined further comment on the case because it is under investigation.

full article at link:

http://cbs2chicago.com/local/gary.boy.beaten.2.1667214.html

Now I am wondering why the boys maternal grandmother did not report the abuse, or did she and no one listened?

I'm still shocked LE failed to notice the aged scars and signs of abuse on his little body when he ran away last weekend. If someone had only noticed and spoke up, it could have saved this little boys life. :(

GARY -- Five-year-old Leon Walker spent his final hours with his hands bound together with an electric cord, squirming to avoid more blows from a belt, begging to be untied.

His father, Leon D. Burns, admitted to police he had "probably went too far" on Wednesday, the day Leon died from a broken neck, his body covered with "deep bruises," court records state.

Burns, 28, and his live-in girlfriend, Rochell Johnson, 32, were both charged Friday with eight felonies in connection with Leon's beating death. Johnson admitted to police she was present while her boyfriend punched and beat Leon at the home they shared at 3973 Virginia St.

more at.....

http://www.post-trib.com/news/lake/2220908,new-gcharges0501.article
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
he also has a myspace that hasn't been used since 2007 - no pictures of his child but he is "a proud parent".

GARY -- Five-year-old Leon Walker spent his final hours with his hands bound together with an electric cord, squirming to avoid more blows from a belt, begging to be untied.

His father, Leon D. Burns, admitted to police he had "probably went too far" on Wednesday, the day Leon died from a broken neck, his body covered with "deep bruises," court records state.

Burns, 28, and his live-in girlfriend, Rochell Johnson, 32, were both charged Friday with eight felonies in connection with Leon's beating death. Johnson admitted to police she was present while her boyfriend punched and beat Leon at the home they shared at 3973 Virginia St.

more at.....

http://www.post-trib.com/news/lake/2220908,new-gcharges0501.article
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
he also has a myspace that hasn't been used since 2007 - no pictures of his child but he is "a proud parent".

'probably went too far' :waitasec: :furious:

that is like the understament of the last 3 million years.

Reading what was done to that poor little boy just rocked my soul. As much as I have read on here, I am still continually floored by the things that people are willing to do to their own children. Poor little baby.

its almost like these people have kids just to have someone they can kick around :(

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back