OR - Brooke Wilberger, 19, Corvallis, 24 May 2004 - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope he isn't her kidnapper. It might to find out where she is then, and I so want her home with her family.

I wonder what it is that made them add this guy to their list? Nothing specific, I don't think, just the fact he was a crazy who raped women and was operating in the Northwest. Doesn't seem to be enough of a reason to seriously consider him as the perp. Unless he can be traced back to being in the Corvallis area at the same time she went missing. Now that would be different!

Thank you Newsperson for the information. ;)

Scandi

scandi, I think that the reason that the police may consider him a person of interest is for the fact that he left from wala wala washington, then on to biggs,then continueing on thru portland, corvallis and finally to medford. since he was know to target girls the age of brooke and the fact that he went thru corvallis makes him a person of interest in the eyes of the law enforcement. they claim that there is some credit card receipts that show his travel history from wala wala washington down to the medford area, the police will be going thru the car to look for evidence that could link him to brooke, hopefully they will use scent detecting dogs to see if they hit on the car for brookes scent.which would remain for a great deal of time inside the car, I do really hope that they consider doing just that. if she was ever in that car there will be some trace evidence of her left in it, hair strands, scent, maybe even trace blood evidence, so if he is the man then he may have taken her on down the road towards medford, whatever highway that would have been, maybe he found a place off along side the road that would be remote for him to assult her, maybe she will be found somewhere along the way, I do hold out some hope she is alive, but looking at this mans history it leaves a possible fact open that she could be deceased. I enlarged the picture of the man in question and couldn't really tell if he had any finger nail scraches on his face, but looks like he has a rough appearence and scrathes might no be visible in a picture. hopefully time will provide the answers into her disappearence.. god bless this family...

Concert to aid search for missing woman

Five groups will perform tonight in a free concert in Corvallis Central Park on behalf of the community’s efforts to find Brooke Wilberger.

The 19-year-old Brigham Young University student vanished May 24 from a parking lot at an apartment complex near Oregon State University.

Hundreds of volunteers have combed through more than 4,000 acres around Corvallis, fanning out along railroad tracks, scouring a Christmas tree farm and driving rural roads in five counties.

The concert will be from 7 to 9 p.m. at the park’s gazebo.

http://news.statesmanjournal.com/article.cfm?i=81793

Corvallis Police Search for Kidnapping Suspect

Corvallis police want to know if an attempted kidnapping Friday is connected in any way to Brooke Wilberger's case. Police say this composite sketch looks like a man who lured a 17-year-old girl into his car Friday afternoon in the town of Lebanon. The girl managed to escape.
The suspect is driving a Silver Honda Accord with gold tint. The car has four doors and has a tan interior.

http://katu.com/news/story.asp?ID=68197

Please click on this link to see a sketch of the person who attempted to kidnap the girl Friday. Whether or not this person is connected to Brooke I hope they find this skumbag soon!!!!!!

Man attempts kidnapping, police seek any link to Wilberger case

LEBANON — Law enforcement officials are seeking any possible connection between a recent attempted kidnapping and the disappearance of Brooke Wilberger.

A man with a goatee, wearing a sweat shirt bearing the letter “A,” lured a 17-year-old girl into his car Friday in Lebanon — 18 miles from where Wilberger went missing May 24.

The girl in the latest attempted kidnapping managed to escape unscathed, officials said.

A hunt is on for the abductor, who last was seen driving a silver Honda Accord with a gold tint. The news comes after Corvallis discounted a possible connection between a Washington parolee and Wilberger’s disappearance.

Lebanon police Det. Kim Hyde said that police do not know if the abduction last week has any connection to the disappearance of Wilberger, 19, who is thought to have been kidnapped from the parking lot of an apartment in Corvallis.

Lebanon and Corvallis are sharing information about the cases and will pass along any leads, she said.

The Lebanon incident occurred around 1 p.m. Friday, when the suspect driving the Honda Accord passed the girl on the street and shouted at her to get into his car. She complied, thinking he had a weapon, police said.

He drove a few blocks and then received a call on his cell phone, which the victim told police appeared to agitate him. He pulled over and let the girl out. She was not hurt.

Hyde said that eight hours later, a man matching the suspect’s description pulled up to a woman in her late teens or early 20s who was riding a bicycle in approximately the same location. The man was in a Honda that matched the earlier description.

This time, he only talked to the young woman and did not try to get her to enter his car, Hyde said.

— Dan de Carbonel

http://news.statesmanjournal.com/article.cfm?i=81903

Benefit concert held to thank volunteers

CORVALLIS — Family and friends of Brooke Wilberger gathered Sunday for a benefit concert in Corvallis to thank the thousands of volunteers who helped comb the college town in the search, which began 21 days ago, for the missing college freshman.

And on Saturday, Corvallis police said it doesn’t appear likely that a Washington parolee was involved in Wilberger’s disappearance

Richard Wilson, 39, had interested the Corvallis police because the Walla Walla resident is thought to have been on a crime spree throughout the Northwest after his release from prison in February, including a rape in Biggs Junction, a three-hour drive from Corvallis. Wilson killed himself Wednesday after running into a police roadblock in Utah.

“We have not developed any evidence that suggests Mr. Wilson has been in western Oregon, much less the Corvallis area any time recently,” Corvallis police Lt. Ron Noble said in a statement released Saturday.

Did anyone else notice that this happened 19 days after the 30 year anniversary of ted bundy abducting a corvallis woman? Most likely just coincidence but 30 is an awfully round number...

Bon Soire,

Was in bed watching Greta and Lordie do, a girl has been taken close to where Brooke disappeared from. Had to get up and see if there was any news here. I'll stay and tell you the news so you have it first thing in the morning.

Last week a 17 year old girl in Lebanon was kidnapped and got away. He had a gun, got a cell phone call, got agitated let her go. White male w/ baseball hat, made no demands. Got a good sketch.

Abductions happen very seldom here - Lebanon is 18 miles east of Corvallis. A straight shot between the two. Police think there might be a good possibility the two cases are connected but still looking at the other 4 - 5 persons of interest, some more than others.

That's it. Should be a pic in the paper.

Scandi

Hi, my first post here. I don't know how to do this very well, but I guess I will learn. For starters, I live in Corvallis, Oregon. I have frequently been in the area where Brooke was abducted. In broad daylight, there is not a lot happening near that area. Maybe a few pedestrians and a quiet hotel parking lot, and most apartment complexes seem pretty empty...maybe students are busy at school.​

BADFlSH said:
Did anyone else notice that this happened 19 days after the 30 year anniversary of ted bundy abducting a corvallis woman? Most likely just coincidence but 30 is an awfully round number...

With regard to KIM (person of interest) Ted Bundy did come down from Washington State to Corvallis and killed a woman here... the theory being that he was throwing off the police in Washington. So it certainly wouldn't be unheard of for someone else to do that.

If Richard Wilson drove from Washington State to southern Oregon that does not necessarily mean he stopped in Corvallis. Corvallis is west of I-5 approx. 10 miles, and would not be on the way if he went down I-5. I would think his vehicle is being searched every which way.

Here are just some random observations. I spotted (not at the crime scene but later and south of it) a very suspicious man. He had red hair. There is a similarity but not totally similar to a man with red hair listed on the web for Benton County. I'd have to go double check, but he was either a parole absconder or a registered sex offender. I think the latter but I'm not positive. Anyway with his photo showing red hair, they clearly list him as having blonde hair. I am afraid if I point the error out to someone in authority that they will just blow me off. But right now, he would be eliminated from even being looked at as a redhead, because of the mistake in listing. He might not have anything to do with Brooke W., but it is very doubtful if any detectives would link it up.

I reported some suspicious activity to a State Police Dispatcher and was blown off with an "alrighty..." but they didn't even take my name or number. The police tell the news and the news tells us they are looking for anything out of the ordinary, out of place, odd. I have reported such things, and nothing comes of it. I don't call 911 because my tips are not life threatening emergencies, but when I e-mail or leave a message on the tip line or talk to a disinterested dispatcher on the non-emergency line, I feel discouraged.

Newsperson, do you happen to know if red hair and a beard have entered into the equation? like with any of the persons of interest? I read somewhere that a black boxy car was named as the vehicle on an attempted crime, but now I can't seem to find where I read it. Was it the attemped abduction shorty before Brooke was abducted? I was thinking maybe it was the event in Lebanon, Oregon, but I guess that was the silverish Honda. The suspicious man I saw had a black boxy vehicle and it had some very distinctive writing on it. Do you happen to know if they know about some writing on the vehicle and are holding it out as a way to be sure of reportings?

2 more questions, 1) Did any psychics actually send in tips? I know you said there was some misreporting about the sawmill. But did any psychics mention a rock quarry? (not the Morse Brothers disturbed earth thing) but maybe Green & White Gravel on Payne Road? or any quarry?

2) Do you happen to know if profiles for predatory men would generally include or not include obsessive-compulsive behavior as far as the neatness and order of their person, their home or their vehicle?

Thanks very much.

hi Indigofalls - nice to have you here! interesting post - the only thing that i can reply to is that i remember hearing on the local news that the car described in the earlier abduction attempt where the girl got away was, indeed, a "black, boxy" type of car.

:banghead: :confused:
annemc2 said:
hi Indigofalls - nice to have you here! interesting post - the only thing that i can reply to is that i remember hearing on the local news that the car described in the earlier abduction attempt where the girl got away was, indeed, a "black, boxy" type of car.

Thank-you for response and welcome. I am curious about so many things. I reread every post about this, and yes, the black boxy car was mentioned as belonging to the man who made an attempted abduction a few days before Brooke. I wonder if the woman who got away has given any description at all of the guy?

Also, I wanted to clarify that when I said the area Brooke was abducted from was pretty quiet, I didn't mean on days when they have big games at Reser Stadium which is quite near. I meant that when there is no game, I could spend quite a fair amount of time there just wandering around and hardly see but a few people, not much traffic, and only 1 person asked me what I was doing. I wasn't doing anything illegal, but it may have looked that way to some people. This wasn't just 1 day I am talking about. I was in that neighborhood a number of times before the abduction and what few people were there just didn't seem very curious or suspicious of me or anything else.

Newsperson said:
The CPD reiterates, any tip can help. Call them.
On my first post yesterday, I only quoted badfish because I wasn't even sure how to do a quote with this group. But I have read every post 2 times now, and I am learning my way around this group. My post was actually to all of you, as I am new and would like to join in the discusssion. And BTW, when I pose a question, it is not just rhetorical. I really am interested in what people think the answer might be. I.e. the sexual predator clearly showing red hair, but listed as a blonde. Should I try to get the record changed, or should I choose my battles more carefully?

One time in Corvallis, I reported to a parole and probation officer that their client was receiving correspondence from a known felon in prison across the state. I broke no laws in finding this letter. I thought they would be happy with the knowledge, they would probably never find out on their own. Instead it seems some of them are protective of their clients and were not interested in hearing anything bad about them, told me it wasn't my job to "dog" them. Instead they tried to put me on the defensive about how did I know, and why did I have the letter and they weren't going to do anything about it unless of course I wanted to return the letter to their client, they would take it from me. Geeesh, talk about enabling people. Oh it turned out later on that the the probation officer's client was not only corresponding with a known felon, but the client ALSO was a known felon, having used a weapon in the commission of a crime. The reason I say all this is I wonder how many times a perfectly good tip comes through that gets ignored. :banghead:

Hi, I just looked at my profile here and it says I am NOT a member of any public groups. I thought that was what this was, the Crime Sleuthing Community. Could someone give me some examples of what is considered to be a Public Group? :doh:

IndigoFalls, Welcome.

as far as being a member of a group goes, the software we use, allows subgroups, but I don't believe that anyone is part of any. You are a member of the Websleuths group however.

It is interesting for us to get local knowledge. How often do you go into the area? Are you associated with Law enforcement? How close is everyone following the case? Have you been able to help out on any searches?

Doyle said:
IndigoFalls, Welcome.
It is interesting for us to get local knowledge. How often do you go into the area? Are you associated with Law enforcement? How close is everyone following the case? Have you been able to help out on any searches?

Thank-you for the warm welcome. I live in Corvallis, Oregon. The specific area from which Brooke was abducted, I have been in maybe 3 to 5 times not too long before May 24, 2004. I went to that neighborhood once afterward, and television crews and reporters were all over the area.

As far as the city, it covers a large area. Within the city limits there are remote areas. There are parts of Corvallis and of Benton County, that I have observed quite closely for many years. Linn County and Lane County which are nearby, I also know quite a bit about.

People are concerned about Brooke, and the other attempted abductions. Some people have sleuthing as a hobby, some don't. Many people are new to the area, but many remember that Ted Bundy was here killing a college girl 30 years ago. The local newspaper, the Gazette-Times has a little section called Brooke Wilberger - Day 21, Day 22 and so on. There must be some news because they have received over 2,000 tips, but the police are keeping pretty quiet about the names of the persons of interest, and what the tips have been.

I can tell you this. I have never lived in a town where so many flyers were everywhere about an abduction. I have seen them posted as closely apart as every 30 or 40 feet on telephone poles, grocery stores, vehicles, billboards. A person would be hard-pressed not to notice them. Some people are sad; some are angry; some people pray and some are particularly concerned for their children. Some people are jumpy, on edge. I thought I had seen the flyers just about everywhere when I went to pay a bill a few days ago. There was a mailbox, but not for mail. It has payment envelopes and a pen in it to use before you put your payment in a locked slot, drop off. I was amazed that inside this fake mailbox there were about 20 small versions of the flyers about Brooke.

Someone here mentioned that Miranda Gaddis and Ashley Pond (spelling?) didn't get this much attention, but I believe that the first I heard of them was a huge billboard up by Oregon City, Oregon with a $50,000 (not positive of amount) reward. So maybe not as much attention, but certainly some.

No, I am not associated with law enforcement at this time. I have not helped in any physical searches. I have submitted a number of tips, and I have been diligent about watching for things that seem out of the ordinary or odd. I look, observe, notice.

I know a number of the Corvallis Police Officers, the Sheriff, the Mayor and some of the City Planning people, and all of the County Commissioners, some only casually and some on a first name basis. I have been to Central Park (where they had the thank-you concert) many many times... the beautiful Benton County Courthouse as well. When a certain highway or park or area is mentioned, chances are good that I have been there often.

Here is some breaking news on the Brooke Wilberger case. You can click on the link before to get the full story and to see a video on the story.

June 17, 2004

Tigard Park Becomes Focus Of Wilberger Case

TIGARD, ORE. - The search for a missing Brigham Young University student who disappeared last month from a Corvallis apartment complex expanded to Washington County on Wednesday.
Investigators searched the Summerlake Park area of Tigard, but found no sign of the missing 19-year-old.

They would not say why they were searching that area, although the park is about a half-mile from the home of a man who was named as a person of interest in the case, Sung Koo Kim.

He remains of significant interest in the case according to authorities, along with a few other people.

Sung Koo Kim also faces charges of stealing women's underwear from an Oregon State University dorm room and is also a suspect in burglaries and thefts at George Fox University in Newberg.

Police found more than 1,000 pairs of underwear in his house, some of which had labels attached identifying the college, dorm and woman from whom they had allegedly been stolen.

Although named as a person of interest in the disappearance of Brooke Wilberger, Kim's lawyer says there is evidence that places the man away from Corvallis on the day that she vanished.

Police say they cannot verify Kim's alibi, but they also have no firm evidence linking him to Brooke's disappearance.

http://katu.com/news/story.asp?ID=68350

IndigoFalls said:
Anngelique, thank-you for keeping us up to date. I appreciate it. :clap:

YW Indigo and welcome by the way. I am normally always in a hurry as I run a Daycare. However, I am a news hound and I search the website for Katu and the Statesman Journal several times a day. When ever I see something new I will post it.

I just pray we find Brooke.

Did you see the story about the 2 yr old boy who was kidnapped in Corvallis last night? Thank goodness he was found safe and sound, but I want to know what the HECK is going on over in that area. I am in Salem and it is too close to home and this is getting scary!!

Hi,

Just an interesting note here, as we are sleuthers all!

The other night when I posted about the 17 year old gal in Lebanon that was abducted and then released when he received an cell phone call that got him agitated. I was too tired to come way back over here and post this link I found, but it was simply amazing. Last night I went back to retreive it and bring it over and it was poof! gone.

In a news story about the 17 year old abduction, it told about a guy who walked into a bar to have a drink and was reading the paper. There was a sketch of the perp in the paper. The waitress or bartender got a bit nervous . He said, gee, I sure look like this guy. She said it was time for him to leave. He said he would like to finish reading the article first. She said OK. He finished reading it and then he left. As he drove off she tried to look at his license plate, and the only thing she could see was an S.

Freaky huh! Sounds like freaky tales to me, almost like in a move.

Well, evidently the police had this article pulled off the net as it is part of there investigation. One of those things that probably should never have been published in the first place, both investigations ongoing as they are!

Scandi

That IS very interesting Scandi!

So what does everyone think about the 2 yr old child that was abducted as well? Do you guys think they are at all linked? Does anyone think that the other girls that have been almost abducted are linked? What do you think of the panty thief?

I guess I am wondering if anyone has a "feeling" about this case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smokylotus