Alicia Silverstone Posts How She Feeds Son

My Mom did the oddest thing: She COOKED fruits & veggies to soften them, then smashed them up to feed me. :-o No commercially canned baby food for her, no sirree...she made her own using a ricer (like a huge garlic press) which, btw, she gave to me when I was a young adult. I've always said this is why I like all kinds of foods and was never a finicky eater. She fed me all manner of table food that the rest of the family ate, just in a form I could handle at the appropriate age.

Like Mother, Like Daughter

Apart from the possible communication of diseases such as herpes, this method prevents the baby from learning how to eat on its own...and delays the salivary glands from doing their natural thing in the digestive process.

When a kid runs over to Mama and unbuttons her shirt to get a drink of milk, it's time to think about weaning. :::ducking:::

To each hir own, but to me, this was an ewwww spectacle to watch.

~jmo~

I thought that this was extremely bad for developing teeth. We had a friend growing up who fed her youngest son this way, her saliva being in his mouth all the time caused his baby teeth to rot.

At least that is the way my preteen memory remembers the situation.

Well, eating and being born - sort of different things.

How are they different exactly? If you are born out of someones uterus after feeding off their life blood through an umbilical cord for months.

I dont understand how that makes something "different".

I understand how it alters how we view it, I just dont understand how it alters it essentially (in the basic elements that are involved).

Apart from the possible communication of diseases such as herpes, this method prevents the baby from learning how to eat on its own...and delays the salivary glands from doing their natural thing in the digestive process.

Why bring up herpes? What do people who copulate irresolute of the disease factor have to do with feeding a baby? Are we supposed to adapt our sexual proclivities around our reproducing behaviors?

Where does that bring us as a society?

Maybe a little gross, and certainly not for me, but I'm happy to read a thread about a mom being so considerate and caring to her child, rather than abusing or allowing someone else to abuse him. A refreshing change from some of the depressing threads we read here.

Alicia Silverstone is known to be granola/organic/tree hugging so this is really no surprise to me.

Why bring up herpes? What do people who copulate irresolute of the disease factor have to do with feeding a baby? Are we supposed to adapt our sexual proclivities around our reproducing behaviors?

Where does that bring us as a society?

Because Herpes Simplex Type 1 is a disease of the MOUTH area.

Herpes simplex type 1, which is transmitted through oral secretions or sores on the skin, can be spread through kissing or sharing objects such as toothbrushes or eating utensils.

WebMD article

As well, I heard a doctor on HLN yesterday commenting on this incident. He said that the virus can be transmitted even when the host is NOT suffering an outbreak.

Because Herpes Simplex Type 1 is a disease of the MOUTH area.

Herpes simplex type 1, which is transmitted through oral secretions or sores on the skin, can be spread through kissing or sharing objects such as toothbrushes or eating utensils.

WebMD article

As well, I heard a doctor on HLN yesterday commenting on this incident. He said that the virus can be transmitted even when the host is NOT suffering an outbreak.

So what does that have to do with this mother?

So what does that have to do with this mother?

It has to do with the subject and your response to my earlier post: pre-masticated food and delivering it mouth-to-mouth, with the possible consequence of transmitting a virus.

I do not know this mother personally nor have I read her medical records.

It has to do with the subject and your response to my earlier post: pre-masticated food and delivering it mouth-to-mouth, with the possible consequence of transmitting a virus.

I do not know this mother personally nor have I read her medical records.

Then she better not kiss her son either :rolleyes:

I never did this with any of my children... on a regular basis, that is, but there were plenty of things that were (are) in my mouth that went (go) in theirs. A mother and child share an intimate bond. I think absolutely nothing of sharing a spoon, straw, or cup. My children use my toothbrush on occasion. I licked off many a dirty pacifier because I couldn't wash it and I'd rather myself get the dirt/germs than them. I lick my finger to clean their faces. I welcomed their open-mouthed slobbery kisses when they were first learning. (I actually very much miss that!) We've shared ice cream cones and suckers, and share all kinds of foods. I have no diseases, but I do have one heck of an immune system that I have thankfully passed on to my very healthy children.

I've been peed, pooped, and puked on.... and I'll still stick out my hand tomorrow if I need to catch one of the above. My children are simply an extension of my own body, and can't imagine having a "standoffish" relationship with them! I've had the pleasure of witnessing childbirth thousands of times, and most often I see a mother reach out for their infant and kiss the face covered with vernix, blood, and amniotic fluid.... seeing only the immense beauty and feeling the powerful love of their own flesh and blood.

When I see Alicia with her son, I didn't notice anything gross. I noticed the proud, beaming smile she gave the camera that radiated with love for her child. Sure beats the heck out of some of the really "gross" stuff we see parents do here on WS.

Ayep, no French kisses!

:Bennymonkey:

T4Tide

Nicely said :goodpost:

I always share things with my kids. However if I had something that they could catch from me I would not.

Among all of the naysayers to Alicia's practice on this thread, is there some reason you are fixating upon the medical info I linked?

<modsnip>

I think it's totally disgusting.

IMO there is no need for it and it's not worth the risk of spreading harmful bacteria from Mommy to Baby.

Chewing the food and spitting it into a baby's mouth is much different than kisses IMO.

But I admit I'm a germaphobe so that may be swaying my opinion.
I don't drink after anybody and I don't let anybody drink after me. Same with sharing utensils.

JMO

lol... I'm a germaphobe, too.... with everyone but my husband and kids! I wouldn't dare drink or eat after someone other than them... but for some reason, they don't bother me at all.

Don't get me wrong... I don't think her practice is normal, I just don't think it's the grossest thing I've ever seen. lol

:waitasec::waitasec:

Wonder how long she will breastfeed- into his teens?

Even if it's an old practice, I find it distasteful.
Why, is all I can say??

Maybe this child will one day use a fork and knife, you think?

I feel sorry for her child.

Goz

Firstly, this is not natural. Which mother here, after having your baby, had the urge to eat and spit your food in their mouth? Ok, so they obviously don't eat solids for a while. But when you started feeding your toddler, did ANY of you ladies who've had a child, feel the urge to chew their food up and spit it in their mouth? Of course not! I mean, I am all for different parenting styles but this is just so, so gross. Monkeys play with their own feces, does that mean we're supposed to? And then, the germs, it's just wrong. And if I found out my Mom did this to me, I'd actually be pretty pissed off at her. I'd be like, "Mom that was so sick that you did that to me." Ewww Alicia, you're gross...

Like, I have slept with my son every night since he was born, as I wrote, I have breastfed him for four long years, things that most parents don't do. But so many Moms now a days, they are just googling crap and going on these insanely competitive mothering message boards and copying what other moms do just to get "mommy cred". Organic, alternative, attatchment... these are all just buzzwords in this strange mommy subculture. I'm sorry if I sound rude but I'm just sick of these pissing contests.

:waitasec::waitasec:

Wonder how long she will breastfeed- into his terns?

Maybe this child will one day use a fork and knife, you think?

I feel sorry for her child.

Goz

Kids don't bf into their teens....never heard of a case where that's happened. At least she feeds her kid, unlike some parents. He also has plenty of time to learn how to use a fork and knife...I doubt this would go on long term...good grief.

Firstly, this is not natural. Which mother here, after having your baby, had the urge to eat and spit your food in their mouth? Ok, so they obviously don't eat solids for a while. But when you started feeding your toddler, did ANY of you ladies who've had a child, feel the urge to chew their food up and spit it in their mouth? Of course not! I mean, I am all for different parenting styles but this is just so, so gross. Monkeys play with their own feces, does that mean we're supposed to? And then, the germs, it's just wrong. And if I found out my Mom did this to me, I'd actually be pretty pissed off at her. I'd be like, "Mom that was so sick that you did that to me." Ewww Alicia, you're gross...

Like, I have slept with my son every night since he was born, as I wrote, I have breastfed him for four long years, things that most parents don't do. But so many Moms now a days, they are just googling crap and going on these insanely competitive mothering message boards and copying what other moms do just to get "mommy cred". Organic, alternative, attatchment... these are all just buzzwords in this strange mommy subculture. I'm sorry if I sound rude but I'm just sick of these pissing contests.
I've only known one other parent who has done this...and yes she was sane. Not for me but hey...she was at least feeding her. Her kids are healthy and well adjusted young ladies who know what their mom did. Weird to me? A little but plenty I do seems weird to others. I myself would slightly chew up food that was too hard for sometimes for my kids....slightly only...if they were just adament about having what was on my plate. Big whoop. I am healthy and they eat (or try to eat) far worse germy things as they grow and explore and are exposed to far worse germs just going to a playground. Plus I don't see this about Alicia doing this for "mommy cred, " or whatever. Maybe some parents do but I don't know many who give themselves titles (I know there are some....ex fam member comes to mind.) There is room for everyone and there is no reason to critisize something (not pointing this at any one person) that seems weird just because one wouldn't do it for one's family. I've seen farrrrrrr worse posted on the Crimes Against Children forum.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back