CO - Richard & Mayumi Heene charged in Balloon Boy hoax, Fort Collins, 2009 - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is on CNN right now, I play it in the background while I'm on the computer during the day.

Right now they are reporting the balloon is at 7000 feet (sorry no link) but there is confusion as to if the 7000 feet was computed at sea level or if it was computed from the 5000 feet elevation from which this ballon left...so it could be 7000 feet in the air or it could be around 12,000 feet, big difference in temps at that those heights.

Wind is moving 30 MPH ~ NW.

Does anyone have an idea of what the structure of the balloon is like? The dad apparently built it himself!

Anyone from the area know of the family? Neighbors ought to notice if he was building it in the backyard...unless he lives in a very rural area.
Seems to me that a man so into hot air balloon-building would talk about it a lot.

Susan

again no links~ CNN coverage estimated temps at 7000 Ft to be around 32 F.

Temps above could be as low as 7 F.

Again this is live on CNN and they are discussing it, I don't know if that is factual.

The copter keeps losing him. It looks like he is either too far away or too far up for them to track. Is there anything else they can do? It must be very cold up there........and what about oxygen?

Dear God, please help the boy!

If they let it go .. and it comes down naturally .. as they say ... if it gets colder .. it will come down slowly, it's going to kill me .. to wait. Not sure he'd get dehydrated that fast ... but gosh, at age 6 ... trying to remember when my sons were that age ... they're men now .. but that's just SO young!

He's gotta be scared to death .. is he crying .. or just hanging on .. can he see out? Will it hurt his ears, his breathing??? Oh gosh ... it's like it's my own child!!!

Structure of balloon, looks to be mylar coated single closed cell helium balloon.

Too elevated at this time to see more details ~ all this from TH on CNN.

They are talking about the possible lack of oxygen. Could stay afloat indefinitely.

discussing hypoxia. I am holding my breath for this baby boy.

I'm watching it on HLN .. and they asked someone if they've ever did a rescue of this kind, with this type of aircraft, and he said .. NOT in the air .. while moving .. no.

But if they can refill aircraft's fuel in mid-air ... can't they do something!?

They've called airforce, faa, newstation helis....no one knows what to do.

It's cold in Colorado this time of year isn't it? I hope he had on a coat or sweaters or something. I was talking to a pilot in our office and he said that the temperature could be more of a problem for him than oxygen.

I can see it on FOXnews. Wondering about the inside structure, like is there a seat with a seatbelt, or just an open compartment?

My daughter says why don't they drop a skydiver...maybe slice it open and do a controlled descent. Sounds dangerous, I wonder how heavy it is?

FOX has a baloon expert on the phone.

Susan

CNN discussing the material the balloon made of mylar- might keep it afloat from not letting gas escape (helium)

While I was typing this ~ helicopters have lost sight of balloon...balloon cell appears to be unstable...

They say it might take 8 hours to come down naturally and go for another 100 miles, I cannot imagine the fear of this little boy and his family. I hope beyond anything that this has a good outcome.

Could they maybe .. have a helicopter fly over him ... following him .. and try to get a hold of it somehow, and take it down slowly? Just trying to think of SOMETHING!

OMG...This has to turn out okay for this little guy.

CNN. says heli is probably at their max of 10k Feet. and ballon is higher....saying oxygen should be ok?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clancehan