GUILTY MI - Stepmom charged in rape/murder of Lily Furneaux-Wolfenbarger, 2, New Haven

I'm going to share something I haven't shared before and this is tough. I've seen vaginal trauma and it shook me to the core. A couple of years after our children were raped, we found blood on our most disabled little girl's panties. She was about ten. She shared a bedroom with her adopted sister who was also a rape victim. Both were the same age but not related biologically (a very important factor).

Anyway, when I approached the one daughter, "I", about the blood (thinking she might have started her period), she broke down and cried. She doesn't communicate well as she has ID (intellectual disability--the new term for MR), mild autism, CP, and is deaf. She was a one pound preemie survivor. She wrote me a note, though, which spelled out what happened. She said that she was supposed to bring home something from school for her sister and when she didn't the sister had "hurt" her. Through notes, we determined just what had happened. "A" had made "I" lay down and had inserted a pencil in her vagina. She had broken the skin in several places. We confronted "A" and she immediately confessed saying, "I want her to know how I feel all the time". Remember both had been raped numerous times by an older teen a couple of years prior. By all accounts, both girls had suffered similar attacks. But each human being processes trauma differently.

I have never felt disgust and loathing for a child, never....until that evening. I had to leave the house. I walked and walked and came home and called the police. That evening, I would have given anything to NEVER see "A" again. I didn't believe that I could ever forgive her. I was also seething with anger at the rapist as he changed our children. We were all prepared for the police to tell us that "A" needed to be out of the house but instead they said there was little anyone could do to help us. Neither girl had ever received much therapy as it was determined that, due to their low IQs, they wouldn't benefit. We also begged for help from DHS. They suggested that "A" go on eyes-on supervision and the bedrooms be changed. We followed all directions and that sort of abuse never happened again. However, a year or so later, we caught "A" literally extorting food from "I" and even later, she extorted money.

There was so much rage wrapped up in "A" from her rapes and she never felt that "I" had suffered as much as she had. "A" was also inexplicably jealous of "I" as everyone loved "I". She was gentle and sweet and kind, whereas "A" had some sharp edges. It was really odd as "A's" body was not disabled like "I's" and she is not deaf. But all she could see was that "I" seemed like the princess. To this day, I believe that "A" acted out in pure rage and hatred to her sister.

I've done a lot of research on sexual trauma and the issue of biology comes up over and over. Of course blood relatives do abuse but those not biologically related abuse far more often. There are some studies which say that it's very important for fathers and siblings to see younger children "mothered" as psychologically, that makes them taboo for sexual abuse. They have empathy and a bond. This is an ongoing issue with blended, adoptive and foster families.

I think that Renee was rageful and took out that rage on the child which she saw as competing for the father's attention and love. I would not be shocked to learn that Renee has either a mental illness or a developmental delay of some sort. I'd bet that she was a victim of early sexual abuse. My guess is that she's never abused her own children but I wouldn't be surprised at all to learn that she's spitefully destroyed other's property or hurt pets as revenge. None of these issues give her a pass. However, I always try to look deeper and examine the true motives in horrible crimes. There's so much to learn.

As to our girls, "I" still lives at home and is delightful. She works 15 hours each week and is active in a special needs young women's group. I believe she has healed and moved on. She's a very concrete young woman. "A" was trafficked and is a prostitute. I don't believe that she thinks too highly of herself and that set her up for victimization. And yes, I've forgiven "A" but I will never forget.

Rest peacefully, Dear Lily.

Oh my lord! What is wrong with people? And she's a "mother" herself? How could she?

If convicted of felony murder King will serve a mandatory life sentence in prison without parole. The criminal sexual conduct charge has a maximum penalty of life. The minimum sentence if convicted on the charge is 25 years in prison. The child abuse count is a 15-year felony.

I must say, I do like these sentences. She deserves all that and more!

I'm going to share something I haven't shared before and this is tough. I've seen vaginal trauma and it shook me to the core. A couple of years after our children were raped, we found blood on our most disabled little girl's panties. She was about ten. She shared a bedroom with her adopted sister who was also a rape victim. Both were the same age but not related biologically (a very important factor).

Anyway, when I approached the one daughter, "I", about the blood (thinking she might have started her period), she broke down and cried. She doesn't communicate well as she has ID (intellectual disability--the new term for MR), mild autism, CP, and is deaf. She was a one pound preemie survivor. She wrote me a note, though, which spelled out what happened. She said that she was supposed to bring home something from school for her sister and when she didn't the sister had "hurt" her. Through notes, we determined just what had happened. "A" had made "I" lay down and had inserted a pencil in her vagina. She had broken the skin in several places. We confronted "A" and she immediately confessed saying, "I want her to know how I feel all the time". Remember both had been raped numerous times by an older teen a couple of years prior. By all accounts, both girls had suffered similar attacks. But each human being processes trauma differently.

I have never felt disgust and loathing for a child, never....until that evening. I had to leave the house. I walked and walked and came home and called the police. That evening, I would have given anything to NEVER see "A" again. I didn't believe that I could ever forgive her. I was also seething with anger at the rapist as he changed our children. We were all prepared for the police to tell us that "A" needed to be out of the house but instead they said there was little anyone could do to help us. Neither girl had ever received much therapy as it was determined that, due to their low IQs, they wouldn't benefit. We also begged for help from DHS. They suggested that "A" go on eyes-on supervision and the bedrooms be changed. We followed all directions and that sort of abuse never happened again. However, a year or so later, we caught "A" literally extorting food from "I" and even later, she extorted money.

There was so much rage wrapped up in "A" from her rapes and she never felt that "I" had suffered as much as she had. "A" was also inexplicably jealous of "I" as everyone loved "I". She was gentle and sweet and kind, whereas "A" had some sharp edges. It was really odd as "A's" body was not disabled like "I's" and she is not deaf. But all she could see was that "I" seemed like the princess. To this day, I believe that "A" acted out in pure rage and hatred to her sister.

I've done a lot of research on sexual trauma and the issue of biology comes up over and over. Of course blood relatives do abuse but those not biologically related abuse far more often. There are some studies which say that it's very important for fathers and siblings to see younger children "mothered" as psychologically, that makes them taboo for sexual abuse. They have empathy and a bond. This is an ongoing issue with blended, adoptive and foster families.

I think that Renee was rageful and took out that rage on the child which she saw as competing for the father's attention and love. I would not be shocked to learn that Renee has either a mental illness or a developmental delay of some sort. I'd bet that she was a victim of early sexual abuse. My guess is that she's never abused her own children but I wouldn't be surprised at all to learn that she's spitefully destroyed other's property or hurt pets as revenge. None of these issues give her a pass. However, I always try to look deeper and examine the true motives in horrible crimes. There's so much to learn.

As to our girls, "I" still lives at home and is delightful. She works 15 hours each week and is active in a special needs young women's group. I believe she has healed and moved on. She's a very concrete young woman. "A" was trafficked and is a prostitute. I don't believe that she thinks too highly of herself and that set her up for victimization. And yes, I've forgiven "A" but I will never forget.

I would like to thank you for your honesty in what you've shared with us. The one thing I wonder about is if "A" was in more need of love, if she hurt more, if her acting out was a louder scream for help and understanding. Sometimes feelings are buried so deep they can only come out in hurtful ways.

My point exactly, Trident. That need is a double edged sword, however. Just as it's now reported that the Somalian teen terrorist in Portland might have been reeling from his parent's divorce, it's clear that people who are hurting can strike out. The million dollar question is how to reach them before they harm others. Even then, civil rights come into play.

The sad thing about our case is that there weren't resources in our area which specialized in reaching the traumatized developmentally disabled victim. "A" did go on to some success, before she was trafficked. She was gifted as a singer and beloved as an auntie. Intellectually (and after I'd settled down), I understood her actions but there was the issue of a very seriously injured child. In our family, the trickle down effect from the original rapes seems to never end.

Obviously, I have no idea if these issues might apply to Lily's murder but I have a suspicion that they do. I think this murder might also carry some similarities with Sandra Cantu's murder.

Bless both little girls.

My gosh. This is so horrible. Lily reminds me somewhat of Caylee Anthony. But the big difference is Lily's mama obviously loved her. I can just see the intensity of the mom's love for her baby in her photos, the deep staring at her baby's face, from the very first moment.
I cannot imagine having a precious baby and having to let her go to her dads and not knowing how she was being treated there and who was caring for her. I can't imagine having to make her go if she seemed upset or scared. I would just die if after all that, my precious child ended up dead after horrific abuse from someone at dad's house. This is just too much to fathom. The thought of what her poor mother is going through. Oh gosh. Who can harm a child like this? Why? I have a feeling this was about rage, and jealousy, not pedophilia but it will never, ever make sense to me.
Sorry about the rant, I just found out about this sick case.

There is also a FB group in memory of little Lily. Such a precious baby. I don't know how to link to it without going through my personal FB page but all you have to do is type "In Loving Memory of Lily Furneaux-Wolfenbarger" in the FB search bar at the top of your FB page to get to it.
Looks like LIly's family, mom, uncle, grandma are part of the group. My heart goes out to them. I cannot fathom what they're going through.

Accused killer Renee King on Tuesday begged a magistrate to be allowed to attend the funeral service scheduled today for the 2-year-old stepdaughter she is accused of sexually assaulting and beating to death.

“I swear to God on my life I didn’t do this,” a sobbing King said. “I just want to be able to see my husband and my kids and be with them through this hard time (today) for my stepdaughter’s burial. I’m accused of doing something I never would have done.”

Read more at link: http://voicenews.com/articles/2010/12/02//news/doc4cec2effc2e4a490085263.txt

doc4cec2effc2e4a4900852631.jpg

My gosh. This is so horrible. Lily reminds me somewhat of Caylee Anthony. But the big difference is Lily's mama obviously loved her. I can just see the intensity of the mom's love for her baby in her photos, the deep staring at her baby's face, from the very first moment.
I cannot imagine having a precious baby and having to let her go to her dads and not knowing how she was being treated there and who was caring for her. I can't imagine having to make her go if she seemed upset or scared. I would just die if after all that, my precious child ended up dead after horrific abuse from someone at dad's house. This is just too much to fathom. The thought of what her poor mother is going through. Oh gosh. Who can harm a child like this? Why? I have a feeling this was about rage, and jealousy, not pedophilia but it will never, ever make sense to me.
Sorry about the rant, I just found out about this sick case.

Thank you for your post. I think this is one thing that prevents some women from divorcing, living separately, even though they do not have a good relationship with the father. It's the fear that the father will bring someone into his life that is sick or evil and when the child is with the father, something may happen to the child. JMO.

I watched that vid & the reporter said the SM made a tearful plea...I didn't see tears - just her face scrunched up like she was trying to cry.

ETA: here's a slideshow of the SM in court - pic 3 has a closeup

http://www.clickondetroit.com/slideshow/news/25898736/detail.html

I noticed the same thing, no tears and that stress I've heard in the voice to try to pretend she is crying -

King has told police and relatives that she dropped the 2-year-old girl while in the shower, but investigators said there was evidence found at the home that did not mesh with her statements. They declined to be more specific.

“Unfortunately, the only ones there in the house were the defendant and this child,” Smith said. “The evidence certainly speaks to what we think happened.”

Her husband said she fell on Lily in the shower when her leg went out - something that had happened before. He also said there always been problems with the baby's mother and family....

I agree there is something off about this story and it is all in the step-monster's account.

Here is the latest news on this, not much, but it is an update. She was in court today.

http://www.freep.com/article/201012...Stepmother-in-court-over-slaying-of-toddler-2

But Renee Marie King, 26, still maintains she’s innocent of allegations that she used an object to rape her stepdaughter then killed her with a blow to the head Nov. 20, her lawyer said after the five-minute court appearance.

Alongside this story alone bothering me, it is bothering me that some articles are quoting Renee King as being 26 & others say 28. Is this just bad, quick reporting because it has been going on from the moment this case hit the news.

The poor mother.
Around Lauren Furneaux, more than 40 supporters of the dead child packed the benches in 42-2 District Court in New Baltimore. All wore white T-shirts with blue ribbons and the face of young Lily Furneaux-Wolfenbarger declaring “Justice for Lily” on the front, and “Fight to Infinity & Beyond” in hot pink on the back.

As Lily’s mother left the courtroom after the hearing, she broke down in sobs again, surrounded by supporters. As they formed a protective shield around her, blocking her from news cameras and interview requests, a number of supporters said the family did not want to talk.

Also from Tinasmd's link above

Macomb County Assistant Prosecutor Therese Tobin said results from the Macomb County Medical Examiner’s Office could take four weeks. And after Medical Examiner Daniel Spitz overlooked a bullet wound to the back of the head of the late Mt. Clemens bank CEO David Widlak, Glanda said he may eventually request a second inquest.

“That’s another issue, too, and eventually there may be an independent medical examiner’s investigation,” Glanda said. “I don’t think it’s just because of (Spitz). In this type of case, you may want a second opinion.”

I was watching the news last night and saw this story, I live in Michigan. This is just discusting! How could a woman, let alone a mother of three do this to a beautiful little girl? I have a daughter who just turned 5 last month and I would kill someone if they layed a hand on her. I saw the utube video and cried, I just feel so bad for the mother and her family. I hope she gets the he** beat outta her in prison. May this little angel rest in peace.

Respectfully snipped, Missizzy -- with every one of your posts, my eyes are opened & views are changed. Thank you for your thoughtful & personal insights !!!

That video on their website is just too much for me. I had to turn it off, I couldnt stop crying...I believe the SM is due back in court this Monday.

http://www.freep.com/article/20110124/NEWS04/110124047/-1M-bond-for-stepmom-slaying-of-girl-2

A $1-million bond was set today for a stepmother accused of killing her 2-year-old stepdaughter in New Haven.

Renee Marie King, 28, was ordered held in the Macomb County Jail after a hearing, which was to be a preliminary exam, in 42-2 District Court in New Baltimore. The preliminary exam was rescheduled for Feb. 7. King was being held without bond before today, according to the court.

Tearful testimony marks hearing for stepmom accused in toddler's death

From The Detroit News: http://detnews.com/article/20110427...ccused-in-toddler’s-death#ixzz1Kp0U2uk4

A paramedic broke down in tears Wednesday as she recalled an afternoon last year when she entered a New Haven home and found an unclothed and unconscious 2-year-old girl lying in the middle of the living room floor.

After the comment, King's attorney, Michael Dennis, pointed out that his client made several inconsistent comments to Eisen that day about what happened. She also told the paramedic that she had attempted to resuscitate Lily, he said
Why would her own attorney point that out? Maybe he will try to say she was so worried she couldn't remember what had happened?!

Justice for Lily!!!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GreyFishOmen
Back