OR - Brooke Wilberger, 19, Corvallis, 24 May 2004 - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anngelique said:
He is my nephew Scandi and the healthy picture was him in Sept and the sick picture is him as of Saturday. He is up in Doernbecher's and barely hanging on. They don't know what caused his illness but he is one very sick little boy. You can go to the Jury Room and read more about it. I have his story posted under the thread, "More prayers needed" He IS a very sweet boy. We pray God will let him be our little miracle! But he has a very long road ahead of him.

I just found out that my SIL, the mother of Devon, the boy on my siggy who is still very sick... her cousin is married to Brooke's brother.

What a small world, huh?

Oh Anngelique, I am so very sorry for Devon. He is right close to me here as I am at the base of the West Hills going into Beaverton. I will say prayers for him and tell my granddaughter about him too. She lives with her Dad right below the hospital on Baqrbur Blvd.

How tragic for the family. And not to know what they are dealing with. Dornbecker is a wonderfull hospital filled with doctors that really care about every child there. I am certain they are doing everything to find out what this could be.

Let me know how he is doing and what they discover. Are his parents up staying at the Ronald McDonald House? It is very close to the hospital.

God Bless him, and Anngelique, thank you for putting his photos on your posts.

xoxox Scandi

scandi said:
Oh Anngelique, I am so very sorry for Devon. He is right close to me here as I am at the base of the West Hills going into Beaverton. I will say prayers for him and tell my granddaughter about him too. She lives with her Dad right below the hospital on Baqrbur Blvd.

How tragic for the family. And not to know what they are dealing with. Dornbecker is a wonderfull hospital filled with doctors that really care about every child there. I am certain they are doing everything to find out what this could be.

Let me know how he is doing and what they discover. Are his parents up staying at the Ronald McDonald House? It is very close to the hospital.

God Bless him, and Anngelique, thank you for putting his photos on your posts.

xoxox Scandi

His Mom has been sleeping in the ICU room. They have a little bed like thing (looks very uncomfortable). My brother stays sometimes too but mostly drives back and forth from Yamhill to see him each night. He needs to work.

Each time I drive up to the hospital I take the Terwilliger Curves, and I can honestly say God over did himself on this one. The view is absolutely breathtaking. Especially during this time of year with the trees ablazed in their Autumn color.

Thanks for your kind words Scandi. :blowkiss:

Anngelique, Devon is still very much in my thoughts and prayers. That is neat about your SIL's cousin being married to Brooke's brother. Small world, indeed!! Much love to you and to your family and to sweet Devon.

englishleigh said:
Anngelique, Devon is still very much in my thoughts and prayers. That is neat about your SIL's cousin being married to Brooke's brother. Small world, indeed!! Much love to you and to your family and to sweet Devon.

Thank you English.... :blowkiss:

Another attempted kidnapping in the Corvallis area? What the heck is going on. We have the last guy still in jail and Kim is still in jail, now another? Are these copycat crimes or is the world just getting the much stranger? I have lived in this area most of my life and I never remember this many being reported from Corvallis/Albany area.

http://katu.com/stories/72555.html

November 11, 2004

Corvallis police investigate attempted kidnapping

CORVALLIS, Ore. - Police in Corvallis are investigating an alleged attempted kidnapping of a woman from Independence.
Capt. Jon Sassaman, a spokesman for the Corvallis police department, said that so far, there is no information to connect this case to the disappearance of Brooke Wilberger, the Brigham Young University student from Veneta whom police believe was abducted in Corvallis last May.

According to Sassaman, the woman involved in Tuesday's case told police that she was walking to her car in a downtown parking lot at around 6:30 p.m. when a man approached her from behind a dumpster.

The man allegedly then grabbed her, punched her in the face, and told her to get inside her own car; but the woman kicked and fought him off, then drove away to call police, Sassaman said.

http://katu.com/stories/72539.html

November 10, 2004

Kim's lawyer wants to see three computer hard drives

CORVALLIS, Ore. - The lawyer for a man accused of stealing women's underwear from dormitories and apartments has requested a hearing on disclosing investigators' evidence to the defense.
Des Connall, who represents Sung Koo Kim, indicated in Benton County Circuit Court this week that he is interested in seeing what's on several computer drives seized by investigators last spring.

Kim, 30, faces charges of theft and burglary in Benton County, as well as similar charges in Multnomah, Yamhill and Washington counties, plus charges of possessing child *advertiser censored* and encouraging child sex abuse.

He also is considered a significant person of interest in the case of Brooke Wilberger, who disappeared May 24. Police say they found on Kim's computer 40,000 pictures of women being tortured and raped, as well as a document that describes the rape, torture and mutilation of a woman titled osu.doc.

Police say that Kim had been researching biographical information about a female Oregon State University swimmer who was scheduled to move into the Oak Park Apartments, where Wilberger vanished, in late May.

In addition, Kim's computer allegedly showed he'd done multiple Internet searches on "non-extraditable countries," countries that won't send a person back to the United States for prosecution.

Connall said he wants to see copies of the contents of three hard drives found in Kim's computer, a hard drive found in his closet and one from his laptop. Oregon statutes require prosecution and defense attorneys in a criminal case to share with each other all information that is to be presented as evidence at the trial.

Chief Deputy District Attorney John Haroldson argued Connall's request was too broad, that he was asking for information that relates to the Wilberger investigation and not just to the charges Kim is currently facing in Benton County. The pending charges stand alone, he said, and do not relate to Wilberger.

Benton County Circuit Judge Janet Holcomb scheduled a hearing on Connall's discovery motion for Dec. 8.

Release hearings have been scheduled in all four counties in which Kim faces charges Nov. 19 in Multnomah County; Nov. 24 in Yamhill County; Nov. 30 in Washington County; and Dec. 17 in Benton County.

Kim's bail on panty theft and possession of child *advertiser censored* charges totals $15.1 million.

Hi Anngelique,

Just checking in to see how Devon is doing. Have they learned any more about what is wrong with him? As I am sitting here writing to you I am looking at a preview for a new show on TV about a doctor who solves medical mysteries called HOUSE. Gee that is really weird, isn't it? Maybe it means there are a lot of positive things being done for Devin in research up there on the Hill. What with Shriners and OSHU, Dornbecker has great minds at their disposal to discover Devon's illness. My eyesight was saved by a doctor at the Casey Institute. It is a place of miracles.

My niece has a disease where her muscles just weren't there - At Shriners, a Japanese doctor invented a leg brace for her so she can walk. Well, she lives in Paris, and my sister said the doctors in Paris are amazed at his invention. They do nothing like that there.

So I am thankful Devon is here with the very best care he can have. God bless his mom and dad. So hard for them. They don't want to leave his side, because I know they would be welcomed at Ronald McDonald's House. No charge. We all just have to say our prayers, and prayers also for the doctors trying to help him.

xoxoxox Scandi

scandi said:
Hi Anngelique,

Just checking in to see how Devon is doing. Have they learned any more about what is wrong with him? As I am sitting here writing to you I am looking at a preview for a new show on TV about a doctor who solves medical mysteries called HOUSE. Gee that is really weird, isn't it? Maybe it means there are a lot of positive things being done for Devin in research up there on the Hill. What with Shriners and OSHU, Dornbecker has great minds at their disposal to discover Devon's illness. My eyesight was saved by a doctor at the Casey Institute. It is a place of miracles.

My niece has a disease where her muscles just weren't there - At Shriners, a Japanese doctor invented a leg brace for her so she can walk. Well, she lives in Paris, and my sister said the doctors in Paris are amazed at his invention. They do nothing like that there.

So I am thankful Devon is here with the very best care he can have. God bless his mom and dad. So hard for them. They don't want to leave his side, because I know they would be welcomed at Ronald McDonald's House. No charge. We all just have to say our prayers, and prayers also for the doctors trying to help him.

xoxoxox Scandi

I just saw your letter and thought I better call up to the hill to find out how things were going.

Things are pretty much the same. He is finally off all life support except a feeding tube. So no more oxygen even. He is in a vegative state. He is scheduled for 2 surgeries on Monday evening. The tracheotomy and a G-tube(feeding tube in the stomach).

Once he is doing well enough to leave ICU he will be watched a while at a normal room at Doernbecher's then he will be moved to a care home.

They still have no real answers. The DRs say if he gets well it will just start slowly getting signs of recognition.

Here is the link to the prayer thread for Devon, y'all
http://websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14342&page=9&pp=25

Has someone posted about the bracelets for Brooke, yet? I never could find that link. I'd love to have one. I'm not sure if they'll send it to Germany. Can someone please post that link if you find it, and thanks.

Prayers for Brooke, and all who search for her.
For answers, and soon.

With love and HOPE, Lanie

Here is a really good article describing Brooke's family and faith. It is very touching. At this link you can also view the video.

http://katu.com/stories/73073.html

December 1, 2004

The Wilbergers Persevere With Faith & Family

By Aimee Clark and KATU Web Staff

CORVALLIS, Ore. - In some ways, the Wilbergers are like any other large family - getting all six kids, along with their five children, together for just a simple dinner takes planning.

However, Cammy and Greg Wilberger know there are some things you cannot prepare for.

A common thought among Wilberger family members is expressed at a pre-meal prayer by Brooke's father, Greg Wilberger, "We pray that you will bless her wherever she is, comfort her and strengthen her."

For six months, the Wilbergers have been praying - hoping that their 19-year-old daughter, Brooke, would be found.

"It's really difficult because of the unknown. We can't have closure and we don't want closure. We want Brooke home," said Brooke's mother Cammy Wilberger.

However, as the months go by, there are more questions than answers.

"When you go through that numb stage, the next part is realizing you have no control and you are at the mercy of God and police and you can't do anything," Greg said.

It's a feeling of helplessness that most people cannot understand and so the Wilbergers, looking for comfort and strength, rely on each other.

"You make a conscious decision each day to focus on the good that is around and you do that. If you focus on the fact that she's not here with us at this time or on the negative that surrounds you, then you just become negative yourself," Brooke's brother Bryce Wilberger said.

Brooke's sister, Shannon, says there are times when even family cannot ease the pain.

"Like I said, it's those moments when it's quiet and just you… and those memories and those feelings are overwhelming," said Brooke's sister Shannon Wilberger.

That is when the Wilberger family turns to their faith and say they believe they will see Brooke again, they just do not know when.

"But when you feel that you can turn over those heartaches, those questions and those wonderings, then He provides you with a way to go on and let time go on. And we believe we are a family together, or whether we see Brooke here on earth again or in heaven, we will see her and we will be able to be reunited as a family," Shannon said.

In the meantime, the Wilbergers has dedicated a special wooden box to Brooke that family members can put stuff in, like letters, pictures, or even teeth that some of the kids have added.

The box is just one more way the Wilbergers keep hope alive that Brooke will someday come home.

The Albany man who's step sister thought he was responsible for the disappearance of Brooke was released from jail today. He has also been cleared of any connection to Brooke. However, it is very scary to know he pleaded guilty to attempting an abduction and yet he is totally free!

http://katu.com/stories/73323.html

December 10, 2004

Albany Man Is Released After Pleading Guilty

PORTLAND, Ore. - An Albany man who assaulted an Oregon State University student pleaded guilty and was released from jail Friday afternoon.
Aaron Evans, 21, pleaded guilty in Benton County to felony Attempted Sexual Abuse in the First Degree, First-Degree Public Indecency and Menacing involving an attack of a woman on the OSU campus Sept. 29.

According to a female college student, a man emerged from some bushes and tried to grab her while she was walking.

The woman was not hurt in the attempted abduction, but police later arrested Evans after a report from a citizen helped them track him down.

Benton County Chief Deputy District Attorney John Haroldson said that Evans was released from jail because he had already served more than the 60 days of jail required by the court in the settlement hearing Friday.

But Haroldson said Evans' felony status should be a warning to the public.

"Any time that someone stands convicted of a felony sexual crime involving forcible compulsion, there is cause for public concern," Haroldson said.

Evans has also been removed from a person of interest list in the disappearance of Brigham Young University student Brooke Wilberger.

"Law enforcement investigation followed up on the 'Brooke Wilberger' leads and found there was no link," said Haroldson.

Evans will be in court again in Linn County on Dec. 15 for reckless driving, which is a Class A Misdemeanor.

Bump for Brooke!

She is in my thoughts so often. And I pray for her family.

Scandi

February 3, 2005

Another person of interest comes to light in Wilberger case

By KATU Web Staff

Corvallis, Ore. - Corvallis police have confirmed another man as a person of interest in the case of missing 19-year-old Brooke Wilberger.

According to Lt. Ron Noble with the Corvallis Police Department, Loren Krueger was identified as a person of interest early on in their investigation.

Noble wants to make it clear that Krueger is not part of a new development in the case and that there are no new developments to report in the Wilberger investigation.

Two other men, Aaron Evans and Sung Koo Kim, have previously been confirmed to be persons of interest as well.

Brooke Wilberger disappeared in May of 2004 while helping with some outside cleaning at her sister's apartment complex.

Despite numerous searches and an intense investigation into her disappearance, there has so far been no major developments in the case.

http://katu.com/stories/74634.html

BUMP for Brooke and Hi to everyone here!

Scandi

February 7, 2005

Corvallis police clear Kim in Wilberger disappearance

By JOSEPH B. FRAZIER
Associated Press Writer

PORTLAND, Ore. - The Tigard man held on charges of stealing women's underwear from several Oregon college campuses is no longer a "person of interest" in the disappearance of 19-year-old Brooke Wilberger, Corvallis police said Monday.

Sung Koo Kim had been named as a "person of interest" in the disappearance of Wilberger, a Brigham Young University student who was last seen in May at her sister's Corvallis apartment near Oregon State University.

But Corvallis police said Monday that Kim was removed from the list in the Wilberger case late last week.

"It was nothing earth-shattering. We just finished following all the leads and tips we had on Kim. He's a pretty complex man," said Lt. Ron Noble, a spokesman for the Corvallis police.

Noble said Corvallis police found "no evidence that would link Sung Koo Kim to the abduction of Brooke Wilberger."

He said there had been as many as 50 people on the list of people of interest at various times in the investigation, but that no one had ever faced charges in the case.

"We wanted to be as thorough as we could," he said. "There are three (people of interest) we are working on right now. With as much notoriety as Kim has received we would hate for people to think that we were at a dead end, that this a cold case. That would be far from the truth."

Shannon Connall, whose law firm represents Kim, said bail reduction on the underwear theft charges had been argued in Benton, Washington and Multnomah counties and would be argued in Yamhill County at the end of the month.

She said she argued that Kim was entitled to bail based on the non-violent nature of the charges, and that the court was obliged to "impose the least onerous conditions possible."

On Monday, a Multnomah County judge reduced the bail set for Kim on the burglary charges - to about $800,000, from $10 million.

Connall said bail is $480,000 in Washington County, $1 million in Benton County and $4 million in Yamhill county.

At one time it had totaled some $15 million.

Kim has pleaded not guilty to the charges in all jurisdictions. His first trial is set for May 31 in Yamhill County.

Multnomah County Judge Frank Bearden said the bail should be reduced because Kim has no criminal history and is only facing burglary charges.

"It is now known that the defendant is not a suspect in (the Wilberger) case so that reason has been removed as a consideration for a high security amount," Bearden said Monday.

Police found more than 3,000 pairs of women's underwear in the house that Kim shares with his parents, along with dryer lint labeled as being from the apartment building where Wilberger was last seen.

Wilberger vanished while she was working for her sister and brother-in-law at the Corvallis apartment complex they managed.

http://katu.com/stories/74729.html

Another suspect removed as a person of interest in the Brooke Wilberger case. It is so sad that they are removing people and not adding people. I wonder if this case will ever be solved. God bless the Wilberger family!

http://katu.com/stories/75204.html

February 23, 2005

Man removed as 'person of interest' in Wilberger case

CORVALLIS, Ore. - A Lebanon man has been removed from the "persons of interest" list in the May disappearance of Brooke Wilberger, a Brigham Young University student.
Loren H. Krueger, 46, was named a person of interest this month after a Portland TV station found his name in a court document in a case file for Sung Koo Kim, who also recently was removed from the list.

"We've pretty much exhausted all of our follow-ups (on Krueger) right now in regards to Brooke," said Lt. Ron Noble.

Kim, 30, of Tigard, faces charges of theft, burglary, possession of child *advertiser censored* or encouraging child sex abuse in four counties after being caught stealing women's undergarments in dorms and apartment laundry rooms.

Krueger was indicted Tuesday in Linn County on charges of attempted rape, sex abuse, burglary and assault in relation to a June incident.

He is being held on $1 million bail.

Police say they had been watching Krueger since May 25, the day after Wilberger vanished from her sister's apartment complex near the Oregon State University campus.

Krueger was convicted of rape in Lincoln County in 1985 and sentenced to five years.

He also pleaded guilty to felony kidnapping and assault in Benton County and served almost 12 years in prison.

He was convicted last week in Benton County of attempted criminal trespassing and was sentenced to four months in jail on that charge and unrelated charges of drunken driving and possession of less than an ounce of marijuana.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa