759 users online (89 members and 670 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Woman claims to have been raised in jungle by Capuchin monkeys after kidnap at age 5

Er.....pardon me??

Bradford housewife claims she spent five years being raised by monkeys in the Colombian jungle after she was kidnapped (Sunday Mail)
    A Bradford housewife has claimed she spent five years as a child being raised by monkeys in the Colombian jungle.

Marina Chapman said she was kidnapped for ransom in the 1950s when she was just five years old and abandoned in the jungle, with her captors believed to have botched the abduction.

For five years, she lived a Tarzan-style existence with a colony of Capuchin monkeys - learning to catch prey, including birds and rabbits, with nothing but her bare hands.

She escaped and was taken in by a Colombian family as a teenager, choosing the name Marina Luz.
    ---
    [She and her husband] have two children and live in Yorkshire. Chapman, who says she never cries, only told her husband, a former church organist and bacteriologist, about her bizarre claims after they were married.
    ---
    Monkeys are known for accepting humans into the fold, according to experts on feral children.
    ---
    much more, with pictures, at link above

Lol what a load of rubbish.
    Everything I post is my opinion only, can change at any time, and is not intended to replace fact.
    Critical Thinking is often criticised.
    KISS

Hard times, she's got a book to sell, lol. I might claim I'd been raised from birth by Yeti snow-gods in the Himalayas if I were writing a book.

I'm trying to figure if her proposition is do-able and - nah, don't think so. True, she would have, one would think, acquired language skills by age five. The linguist Noam Chomsky's research indicates that if a child has not acquired those skills by age seven, he or she will never speak; but I'm not sure whether life in the jungle with the Capuchin colony would retard them sufficiently so that, after her return, she would be unable to use them. One suspects so, though perhaps not entirely so.

Though I don't believe her, I support her; the world needs its fabulists.

In the comments:

"I think she was very wise to have held back on her story until after the wedding...... I should know after all I was raised by hedgehogs on the hard-shoulder of the m6 in Staffordshire." - Meresyside-Dave, Liverpool, 21/10/2012 18:32........... Would that be the Hells Hedgehogs MCC, Staffordshire Branch, Dave? "Born to be Wild"? You were lucky, those hedgehogs are hard as nails and they have the best bikes.

Capuchin monkeys are kinda tiny... 12-20 inches or so. They must have felt like raising the Yeti.

She escaped from tiny monkeys as a teen?

Maybe she can get together with Forest Boy and they can regale each other with their wacky stories.
    If there is anything worse than the sandwiches, it is the sausages which sit next to them. Joyless tubes, full of gristle, floating in a sea of something hot and sad, stuck with a plastic pin in the shape of a chef’s hat: A memorial, one feels, for some chef who hated the world, and died, forgotten and alone among his cats on a back stair in Stepney. – Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by txsvicki View Post
    She escaped from tiny monkeys as a teen?
    No, not from the monkeys. There is an unmarked ellipsis in the quote and the the original article says:

Chapman's life in the jungle was said to have ended when she was discovered by hunters and sold to a brothel in the northern city of Cucuta, where she was regularly beaten.

She escaped and was taken in by a Colombian family as a teenager, choosing the name Marina Luz.
    Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz2ACatFXKB
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

I did a double take when I saw this thread - initially read it as "woman claims to have been raised by Capuchin MONKS"
    “Peace is not the product of terror or fear. Peace is not the silence of cemeteries. Peace is not the silent result of violent repression. Peace is the generous, tranquil contribution of all to the good of all." -Abp Oscar Romero

No, that's her sister.

Hopeful One is offline Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light
    Quote Originally Posted by Hejlena View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by lizzybeth View Post
    No, that's her sister.
    BWWWAAAHAHAHAHAAA!!!!!!!!!!

Justice for Travis

Sometimes the first step towards forgiveness is understanding that the other person is a complete idiot.

Hopeful One is offline Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light
    I wonder if she'll invite her monkey family to the book signings?

Justice for Travis

Sometimes the first step towards forgiveness is understanding that the other person is a complete idiot.

I'm just gonna say that I am gonna gamble that her parents are not in agreement with this story. And yes, very good idea to wait till after her marriage to tell her husband about it. Wonder why she did that?

Quote Originally Posted by SweetT View Post
    I'm just gonna say that I am gonna gamble that her parents are not in agreement with this story. And yes, very good idea to wait till after her marriage to tell her husband about it. Wonder why she did that?
    I would say it was good she did not tell her husband about this until after they were married. I would not have told my husband about all that monkey-ing arround either.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast