681 users online (86 members and 595 guests)  


Websleuths News


Page 1 of 66 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 978
  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    7,929

    CA - Bryce Laspisa, 19, Castaic, 30 Aug 2013 - #4

    Last edited by KateB; 04-29-2015 at 10:17 PM. Reason: repair url tag.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    4,724

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    7,929
    Please continue here and remember the rules. You can find them right here: The Rules - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community AND don't overlook these!!!!

    Victim Friendly

    Websleuths is a victim friendly forum. Attacking or bashing a victim is not allowed. Discussing victim behavior, good or bad is fine, but do so in a civl and constructive way and ONLY IF IT IS RELEVANT TO THE CASE. Additionally, sleuthing family members that are not suspect is not allowed. Don't make random accusations or post personal information (even if it is public) like parking tickets, address, or first and last names of all their relatives and their neighbors. Also, never "bash" or attack them, or accuse them of involvement. However that does not mean that family members cannot come into discussion as the facts and issues of the case are discussed.


    Social Networks

    Regarding Facebook, MySpace, Twitter, and other social networking or blog websites: Links may be used to direct posters to view something on a social networking page. But postings on social networking sites are not considered fact; they are rumor. Copying and pasting, or taking screen caps, directly from these pages is not allowed. Paraphrasing is okay. (Exception: If the Twitter or Facebook post belongs to a verified news station, it may be copied. But a link should still be provided.)

    Also, social networking pages may only be linked if they are directly related to a case, i.e. the victim or suspect. We don't want to post to someone's mother, brother, employer, milkman, or postal carrier just because they know the main player. We also NEVER link to minor's pages (unless they are the victim). And be sure that the page actually belongs to the person being discussed. Do not link to someone if you are not 100% sure it is the correct person. And if a social networking is set to private and you get in the back way, you may not post what you find. Private means private!

    MINORS: Websleuths.com™ does not allow the naming of, or photographs of, minors (children under the age of 18) on the Site unless the child is a missing or deceased person or where law enforcement has identified the minor as a perpetrator of a crime and the minor will be tried as an adult. If a missing child is found and it is learned that such minor was the victim of child exploitation, references to the child’s name and likeness will be removed, and further posting of such information will not be allowed.

    Thanks,

    Cat
    Last edited by KateB; 04-29-2015 at 10:17 PM. Reason: repair url tag.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    7,929
    Please continue here...

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    125
    From FB:

    WITH THE POSSIBLE SIGHTING IN VALENCIA, MORE VOLUNTEERS HAVE COME FORWARD TO POST FLYERS AND HELP IN FOOT SEARCHES. FOR CONVENIENCE, DEBRA HAS OPENED HER HOME IN SANTA CLARITA FOR PICKING UP FLYERS AS WELL AS TO COORDINATE FOOT SEARCHES. CONTACT DEBRA AT 661-309-7117
    IF YOU ARE UNABLE TO PICK UP FLYERS LET DEBRA KNOW AND SHE MAY BE ABLE TO GET THEM TO YOU.
    WITH THE POSSIBLE SIGHTING IN OREGON, VOLUNTEERS HAVE COME FORWARD IN NORTHWEST STATES HELPING SPREAD THE WORD, POSTING FLIERS, AND HELPING ANY WAY THEY CAN.
    THANKS TO ALL THAT ARE HELPING

    _________________

    The FB page says there was a possible sighting at Food for Less in Valencia. Food for Less is really in Canyon Country (it's down the street from me) and this area is heavily blanketed in flyers. I am hoping if this was an accurate sighting then it won't be long until he is found. I wasn't able to see any more info on that sighting, such as when, but that FB page moves very fast.

    I also wanted to comment a bit on the redhead thing. I am a redhead, as is my son. Redheads are only 2% of the Earth's population, so there are certainly areas where that % is much higher. My son will sometimes moan about being a redhead since he feels there aren't many other kids like him, but he also has to admit it gets him a lot of attention (mostly positive!). I myself have noticed over the years that I will get a lot of people saying "don't I know you?" or "You look like someone I know" and it's always b/c that person has red hair.

    Anyway, I went hiking with my redheaded son last weekend and the one thing that really struck me was that against our typical landscape here in SoCal this time of year, which is brown and dusty, his red hair was quite striking. I hope that will somehow lend itself to Bryce being noticed or found if he is out there.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    833
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

    This is how you get the word out. Over 1,100 shares in 30 minutes!!!
    Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off the goal.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    4,562
    Quote Originally Posted by abugs View Post
    <snipped for space>
    I also wanted to comment a bit on the redhead thing. I am a redhead, as is my son. Redheads are only 2% of the Earth's population, so there are certainly areas where that % is much higher. My son will sometimes moan about being a redhead since he feels there aren't many other kids like him, but he also has to admit it gets him a lot of attention (mostly positive!). I myself have noticed over the years that I will get a lot of people saying "don't I know you?" or "You look like someone I know" and it's always b/c that person has red hair.

    Anyway, I went hiking with my redheaded son last weekend and the one thing that really struck me was that against our typical landscape here in SoCal this time of year, which is brown and dusty, his red hair was quite striking. I hope that will somehow lend itself to Bryce being noticed or found if he is out there.
    BBM that's a very good point. As I understand it he lived in Roseville/Rocklin for awhile (near me) and there are parts of it that I'd be surprised to see a non-white person, while other parts are mostly hispanic. Like anywhere I think people sort of tend to mingle and congregate with those they know or feel comfortable with. This is not to say anything bad, just seems like what usually happens.

    I do think his hair would stand out either way, especially as you said against the brown and dusty desert background.... or, if he went North, against the cloudy and rainy skies. I so hope this sighting of him is truly him.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    11

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by SDHELPS View Post
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

    This is how you get the word out. Over 1,100 shares in 30 minutes!!!
    Awesome! I just sent a request to vistaprint.com for discounted car magnets. My husband drives to various locations each day, including: downtown LA, Santa Clarita Valley, San Fernando Valley, Thousand Oaks, Oxnard/Ventura, Santa Barbara/Goleta and Santa Paula/Fillmore. A large car magnet will attract LOTS of attention. It would be so helpful if others would email vistaprint.com and plead with them to endorse this cause!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    30
    There was another sighting in Valencia? Isn't that where the local teenager with red hair lives that was reported as a possible sighting last week? Of course I hope it's him and this bears fruit but I'm a little skeptical.

    It's been a month, how brutal this must be on his family. I keep checking the thread though I have nothing to add, it's disheartening to hear nothing from LE or much in the way of updates from the family. Praying for safe return.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    4,562
    Quote Originally Posted by inarcadia View Post
    There was another sighting in Valencia? Isn't that where the local teenager with red hair lives that was reported as a possible sighting last week? Of course I hope it's him and this bears fruit but I'm a little skeptical.

    It's been a month, how brutal this must be on his family. I keep checking the thread though I have nothing to add, it's disheartening to hear nothing from LE or much in the way of updates from the family. Praying for safe return.
    I thought I read he was spotted in Oregon a few days ago.. that's what I was thinking of when I posted. But you're right, Valencia again?

    I so hope he's found SOON. Yesterday would be good.


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    6,849
    I hadn't really thought about this until all the discussion toward the end of the last thread about hitch-hiking, picking up scruffy individuals who may be disoriented, etc., but...

    I have a person close to me who hiked the Pacific Crest Trail (from the border of Mexico to just over the Canadian border). While some hike in groups, many hike alone, only meeting up with other hikers periodically as they cross paths and might keep a similar pace for awhile. Most leave sometime in mid-late April and try to finish by October, and most hike Mexico-->Canada as opposed to the reverse, and even fewer doubleback and hike it up and back the same season. A pretty quick thru-hiker, who doesn't stop much and does a lot of miles a day might finish in around four months, many it takes more like five or even six.

    The person I know who hiked it started out alone, met up with some others who kept a similar pace, so joined them off and on, if they all kept similar tendencies to 'zero' hike or resupply at the same frequency, etc. But then ultimately spent almost the entire last month hiking alone, often going days without seeing anyone, let alone someone else actually hiking even just a portion of the trail. This person was one of the first to finish the thru-hike the year they began it, yet had done next to no training prior (though had lived at a higher altitude, which can be helpful), and had never undertaken even a very long hike, let alone 2600-ish miles! They were just very ambitious (or crazy!)

    In the 'selfies' this person took to document the weight loss and physical toll that it took, to say that they were filthy and scruffy and less than fresh smelling was probably an understatement.

    Carrying so few pounds in necessities - and then just with some food/water on top of that - it wasn't like there were changes of clothes or real means of washing up.

    Yet all along the way there were 'trail angels' (that really is what thru-hikers call them) - some who just left some form of 'trail magic' - things like beers and chips in places along the route that hikers would typically be near around Cinco de Mayo, or those who would leave notes/signs along the trail with directions to their home and the offer of a shower, a bed, or a warm meal for any PCT hikers. In fact, that was where the individual I know came to meet the most other hikers - somewhere thanks to trail angels and their supplies or offers of them along the many month journey.

    The last month, when the hiker I am close to struck out alone again, having a finishing goal that meant hiking a dozen plus more miles a day than most hikers do and not taking a single day off - even though most of that was through the areas where resupplying is the hardest and meant going a fair distance off the trail to get supplies...or just going without food.

    Wandering into campsites, late at night, having hiked in the dark for hours, just trying to find somewhere to lay that would keep you (hopefully) away from becoming prey for critters, etc., this person looked like a 'hot mess.'

    Not having had contact with another person in days but many time a week or more, so being very 'out of the loop' as to most things, and being dirty, smelly, in literally just threads of their shirt/shorts, and shoes all ripped up, and generally grungy, it was amazing to me that nearly every time this person ended up happening on someone in a campground or the times they needed to hitchhike in order to get supplies b/c one rather long segment of the trail doesn't really have supply spots on it - they not only got offers of help, but often coming from younger people or females.

    The number of times, toward the end, when frankly this person was bordering on almost looking scary, totally without food and needing to hitch into town to get more supplies, there would be some young people camping or something and offering this person burgers and a drink, or a female driving on some mountain road alone at dusk would pick this person up and drop them in town and not only would it allow for supplies, but almost always someone would open up their home (others their garage or yard or just a same place for the little tent to go). Some were known 'trail angels' who are listed on sites online or where thru-hikers communicate, others who did it because they happened across someone undertaking such an ambitious challenge and just wanting to help or out of admiration of them, and others who do it just once or twice because someone helped one of their friends or loved ones by being a 'trail angel' or providing some 'trail magic' on their journey.

    I say all that because Bryce is even younger than the person I know who undertook the PCT. And while Bryce clearly wasn't setting out with something like that in mind, the trail, at times, in several places, is at (or very near) the I-5. And lakes and national parks are places where those who seem to have a soft-spot for thru-hikers, especially, tended to be located.

    Bryce is young, likely on foot, and even injured or pretty disoriented, could easily strike someone as a wayward hiker (PCT or otherwise), even without having much with him.

    I think about all the kind-hearted 'angels' along the PCT, at least, who went so far out of their way, and, really, put themselves at risk opening up their homes or lives to the hikers the year my loved one hiked the trail, and think that had Bryce happened across the path of one of them - or one of the many who picked up my loved one when trying to hitch to get supplies - I could easily see him being picked up and helped without much in the way of questions.

    If he were in the 'right' area and even just within a six week window of when locals know hikers tend to pass through, it probably wouldn't be given a second thought. Many hitch with little with them in terms of supplies if they've met up with a group.

    Heck, by the time my loved one got to Canada, their debit card didn't work because they hadn't thought to tell the bank they were crossing the border, and the small purchases every week or so aroused their suspicion, so not only did my loved one leave most of what they had started out with in the final campground, signing the ledger with the trail name they used - as nearly all hikers do - never once going by their real name (something many within even close groups who hike together for months, some don't even share - most just 'adopting' their trail 'persona') and then not only having to try to hitch into a bigger town in Canada, but then beg for money to make a call to let us know they finished and to please book a plane ticket home.

    I hardly recognized my loved one - and had been getting 'selfies' and scenery pictures periodically. Even knowing I was to pick them up at the airport, I almost had to triple take to know it was them...and I've known this person decades. And, to be honest, it was a good thing they called me by name, or I'm not sure I'd have unlocked the car door for them! (And that was after sort of 'cleaning up' at the airport in Canada...). Yet in some tiny remote towns not a single person thought otherwise of doing that same thing - for someone they'd never met and frankly didn't necessarily look like the most savory of characters!

    The girl who talked about her Grandpa seeing someone who looked like Bryce coming out of the woods doesn't seem as far-fetched when I think back about the experience of my loved one.

    Even though Bryce didn't set off to traverse thousands of miles and a great distance, he may well have - even if inadvertently.

    I pray that some of the kind-hearted trail angels who helped my loved one out on their hike, or those like them, people that seem far more common in smaller communities or among those who love to live nearer the land, so to speak, are the same sorts that perhaps Bryce has come across.

    And just as none of those who helped my loved one would probably have recognized a picture of them from weeks (nevermind months earlier) when they weren't showing the 'wear' of the journey, and weren't even going by their real name, I pray that somehow, Bryce will also return safely to his loved ones, even if it takes several possible sightings before someone realizes it's him (especially if something has happened to him and he's disoriented!).

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    125
    Quote Originally Posted by TravelingBug View Post
    I hadn't really thought about this until all the discussion toward the end of the last thread about hitch-hiking, picking up scruffy individuals who may be disoriented, etc., but...

    I have a person close to me who hiked the Pacific Crest Trail (from the border of Mexico to just over the Canadian border). While some hike in groups, many hike alone, only meeting up with other hikers periodically as they cross paths and might keep a similar pace for awhile. Most leave sometime in mid-late April and try to finish by October, and most hike Mexico-->Canada as opposed to the reverse, and even fewer doubleback and hike it up and back the same season. A pretty quick thru-hiker, who doesn't stop much and does a lot of miles a day might finish in around four months, many it takes more like five or even six.

    The person I know who hiked it started out alone, met up with some others who kept a similar pace, so joined them off and on, if they all kept similar tendencies to 'zero' hike or resupply at the same frequency, etc. But then ultimately spent almost the entire last month hiking alone, often going days without seeing anyone, let alone someone else actually hiking even just a portion of the trail. This person was one of the first to finish the thru-hike the year they began it, yet had done next to no training prior (though had lived at a higher altitude, which can be helpful), and had never undertaken even a very long hike, let alone 2600-ish miles! They were just very ambitious (or crazy!)

    In the 'selfies' this person took to document the weight loss and physical toll that it took, to say that they were filthy and scruffy and less than fresh smelling was probably an understatement.

    Carrying so few pounds in necessities - and then just with some food/water on top of that - it wasn't like there were changes of clothes or real means of washing up.

    Yet all along the way there were 'trail angels' (that really is what thru-hikers call them) - some who just left some form of 'trail magic' - things like beers and chips in places along the route that hikers would typically be near around Cinco de Mayo, or those who would leave notes/signs along the trail with directions to their home and the offer of a shower, a bed, or a warm meal for any PCT hikers. In fact, that was where the individual I know came to meet the most other hikers - somewhere thanks to trail angels and their supplies or offers of them along the many month journey.

    The last month, when the hiker I am close to struck out alone again, having a finishing goal that meant hiking a dozen plus more miles a day than most hikers do and not taking a single day off - even though most of that was through the areas where resupplying is the hardest and meant going a fair distance off the trail to get supplies...or just going without food.

    Wandering into campsites, late at night, having hiked in the dark for hours, just trying to find somewhere to lay that would keep you (hopefully) away from becoming prey for critters, etc., this person looked like a 'hot mess.'

    Not having had contact with another person in days but many time a week or more, so being very 'out of the loop' as to most things, and being dirty, smelly, in literally just threads of their shirt/shorts, and shoes all ripped up, and generally grungy, it was amazing to me that nearly every time this person ended up happening on someone in a campground or the times they needed to hitchhike in order to get supplies b/c one rather long segment of the trail doesn't really have supply spots on it - they not only got offers of help, but often coming from younger people or females.

    The number of times, toward the end, when frankly this person was bordering on almost looking scary, totally without food and needing to hitch into town to get more supplies, there would be some young people camping or something and offering this person burgers and a drink, or a female driving on some mountain road alone at dusk would pick this person up and drop them in town and not only would it allow for supplies, but almost always someone would open up their home (others their garage or yard or just a same place for the little tent to go). Some were known 'trail angels' who are listed on sites online or where thru-hikers communicate, others who did it because they happened across someone undertaking such an ambitious challenge and just wanting to help or out of admiration of them, and others who do it just once or twice because someone helped one of their friends or loved ones by being a 'trail angel' or providing some 'trail magic' on their journey.

    I say all that because Bryce is even younger than the person I know who undertook the PCT. And while Bryce clearly wasn't setting out with something like that in mind, the trail, at times, in several places, is at (or very near) the I-5. And lakes and national parks are places where those who seem to have a soft-spot for thru-hikers, especially, tended to be located.

    Bryce is young, likely on foot, and even injured or pretty disoriented, could easily strike someone as a wayward hiker (PCT or otherwise), even without having much with him.

    I think about all the kind-hearted 'angels' along the PCT, at least, who went so far out of their way, and, really, put themselves at risk opening up their homes or lives to the hikers the year my loved one hiked the trail, and think that had Bryce happened across the path of one of them - or one of the many who picked up my loved one when trying to hitch to get supplies - I could easily see him being picked up and helped without much in the way of questions.

    If he were in the 'right' area and even just within a six week window of when locals know hikers tend to pass through, it probably wouldn't be given a second thought. Many hitch with little with them in terms of supplies if they've met up with a group.

    Heck, by the time my loved one got to Canada, their debit card didn't work because they hadn't thought to tell the bank they were crossing the border, and the small purchases every week or so aroused their suspicion, so not only did my loved one leave most of what they had started out with in the final campground, signing the ledger with the trail name they used - as nearly all hikers do - never once going by their real name (something many within even close groups who hike together for months, some don't even share - most just 'adopting' their trail 'persona') and then not only having to try to hitch into a bigger town in Canada, but then beg for money to make a call to let us know they finished and to please book a plane ticket home.

    I hardly recognized my loved one - and had been getting 'selfies' and scenery pictures periodically. Even knowing I was to pick them up at the airport, I almost had to triple take to know it was them...and I've known this person decades. And, to be honest, it was a good thing they called me by name, or I'm not sure I'd have unlocked the car door for them! (And that was after sort of 'cleaning up' at the airport in Canada...). Yet in some tiny remote towns not a single person thought otherwise of doing that same thing - for someone they'd never met and frankly didn't necessarily look like the most savory of characters!

    The girl who talked about her Grandpa seeing someone who looked like Bryce coming out of the woods doesn't seem as far-fetched when I think back about the experience of my loved one.

    Even though Bryce didn't set off to traverse thousands of miles and a great distance, he may well have - even if inadvertently.

    I pray that some of the kind-hearted trail angels who helped my loved one out on their hike, or those like them, people that seem far more common in smaller communities or among those who love to live nearer the land, so to speak, are the same sorts that perhaps Bryce has come across.

    And just as none of those who helped my loved one would probably have recognized a picture of them from weeks (nevermind months earlier) when they weren't showing the 'wear' of the journey, and weren't even going by their real name, I pray that somehow, Bryce will also return safely to his loved ones, even if it takes several possible sightings before someone realizes it's him (especially if something has happened to him and he's disoriented!).
    This is an interesting theory. I believe the closest spot of the Pacific Coast Trail to where Bryce was last thought to be in Castaic would be off the 14 Hwy near Vazquez Rocks. I recently read Wild by Cheryl Strayed about hiking the PCT and for the PCT hikers there is a definitely a hitchhiking component (maybe more so for a young man). I would be a bit hesitant to think he'd done this without at least some anecdotal evidence from his friends that he had mentioned this was something he was interested in. I do believe if he had been wanting to do this, he would have spoken about it to others. But certainly if he had stumbled across this I could also see it being a feasible way to get food and other supplies potentially.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    125
    Looking at a map, it's also possible he could have taken Lake Hughes Rd. or even possibly San Francisquito Cyn Rd northeast towards the PCT.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    4,928
    Even with redheads being 2% of the population of the world, I have two grandchildren who are redheads. Husband has 9 first cousins who are all redheads. It's that Irish blood. I also have three friend,s who are both redheads, however, one has Universal Alapecia now, which is another common occurance with redheads. I also had a redheaded niece. I love redheads. But that said, even with all these redheads in my life, they probably only represent 2% of all my friends, family and acquaintances.
    Where is Sky Metalwala???

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Near Yosemite, CA
    Posts
    899
    I tend to agree regarding red heads in CA. I know many, many red heads (my daughter included) definitely not all that rare in my neck of the mountains though I do know that while traveling back east by train with my daughter, she received a lot of stares on comments regarding her hair. Even met one little girl who asked her if she could touch her hair LOL so I imagine in some parts of the USA that red hair is rare. Just not here

Page 1 of 66 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. CA CA - Bryce Laspisa, 19, Castaic, 30 Aug 2013 - #8
    By CatFancier in forum 2010's Missing
    Replies: 1013
    Last Post: 01-04-2014, 03:36 AM
  2. CA CA - Bryce Laspisa, 19, Castaic, 30 Aug 2013 - #7
    By CatFancier in forum 2010's Missing
    Replies: 1005
    Last Post: 10-31-2013, 07:46 AM
  3. CA CA - Bryce Laspisa, 19, Castaic, 30 Aug 2013 - #5
    By CatFancier in forum 2010's Missing
    Replies: 1006
    Last Post: 10-09-2013, 07:35 AM
  4. CA Bryce Laspisa (19) - Castaic CA, 2013
    By SheWhoMustNotBeNamed in forum Missing Children in America - A Profile
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-19-2013, 11:41 PM
  5. CA CA - Bryce Laspisa, 19, Castaic, 30 Aug 2013 - #2
    By CatFancier in forum 2010's Missing
    Replies: 1075
    Last Post: 09-14-2013, 09:32 PM

Tags for this Thread