CA CA - Bryce Laspisa, 19, Castaic, 30 Aug 2013 - #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
But I don't think The poster meant Bryce went off on a Pacific Crest Trail hike. Just that people in the vicinity might be more amenable to helping a scruffy wanderer. Right?

Yes, that's what I meant :)

I just wish they could get TES to come out and do one last search of the lake and surrounding area. I just don't feel good about moving up the coast until TES can say with certainty he's nowhere around Castaic Lake. They have so much better equipment for this type of search. I just keep having this nagging feeling he's in that darn lake or around there because of the dogs picking up his scent ending at the lakes edge. I just can't seem to shake the feeling. I pray I'm wrong but just want to be sure. I have so much faith in the skill of TES. I don't trust the word of LASD. Its ridiculous there is still no DNA results on hair blood or fibers in the truck in a month.

Since I'm a non-camper... for those who do camp, temperature wise what do you think? Is it reasonable to expect he'd be ok overnight, if he is in fact out and about? I know at this point he'd have needed to find water, food, etc... but assuming he found those things, could he sufficiently shelter himself outdoors at these temperatures?

I tend to think he's probably being cared for or helped in some way if he's still alive (boy did it suck to type that "if"), but I wanted to ask for thoughts on him surviving outdoors in those temps. Night time seems "survivable but not fun" IMO, but I really do not enjoy camping, so I avoid it whenever possible and don't have much experience with it.

On a separate note... I'm sure it's probably unrelated but a burning body was found in Sacramento yesterday, and it really freaked me out, especially because of the similarity to the burning body found near where Bryce crashed. Is it really that common find find burning bodies and I just never noticed it being reported before? Here's a link to that other story (again, probably unrelated): http://www.kcra.com/news/sacramento...dy/-/11797728/22089172/-/6f7g9vz/-/index.html.

I just wish they could get TES to come out and do one last search of the lake and surrounding area. I just don't feel good about moving up the coast until TES can say with certainty he's nowhere around Castaic Lake. They have so much better equipment for this type of search. I just keep having this nagging feeling he's in that darn lake or around there because of the dogs picking up his scent ending at the lakes edge. I just can't seem to shake the feeling. I pray I'm wrong but just want to be sure. I have so much faith in the skill of TES. I don't trust the word of LASD. Its ridiculous there is still no DNA results on hair blood or fibers in the truck in a month.

Do we know for certain that results are not back on the blood? That should take a matter of days, not almost a month.

Do we know for certain that results are not back on the blood? That should take a matter of days, not almost a month.

I am not confident in saying that we know much for certain when it comes to Bryce's disappearance. With that said, I haven't heard or read anything indicating that the results have come back (though that doesn't mean the family hasn't been notified.) If the results were back and the blood wasn't Bryce's I think the search/investigation would be going in another direction.

Since I'm a non-camper... for those who do camp, temperature wise what do you think? Is it reasonable to expect he'd be ok overnight, if he is in fact out and about? I know at this point he'd have needed to find water, food, etc... but assuming he found those things, could he sufficiently shelter himself outdoors at these temperatures?

I tend to think he's probably being cared for or helped in some way if he's still alive (boy did it suck to type that "if"), but I wanted to ask for thoughts on him surviving outdoors in those temps. Night time seems "survivable but not fun" IMO, but I really do not enjoy camping, so I avoid it whenever possible and don't have much experience with it.

On a separate note... I'm sure it's probably unrelated but a burning body was found in Sacramento yesterday, and it really freaked me out, especially because of the similarity to the burning body found near where Bryce crashed. Is it really that common find find burning bodies and I just never noticed it being reported before? Here's a link to that other story (again, probably unrelated): http://www.kcra.com/news/sacramento...dy/-/11797728/22089172/-/6f7g9vz/-/index.html.

Regarding the weather, I am confident that Bryce would be alright overnight (perhaps a bit uncomfortable) in the temperatures described. He might even be better at handling cold weather than most in Southern California considering he grew up in Illinois.

Regarding the weather, I am confident that Bryce would be alright overnight (perhaps a bit uncomfortable) in the temperatures described. He might even be better at handling cold weather than most in Southern California considering he grew up in Illinois.

Good point, hadn't thought about how he's already used to colder temperatures. That's what I was thinking too, that it might not be "comfy" but not dangerous levels of cold.

Good point, hadn't thought about how he's already used to colder temperatures. That's what I was thinking too, that it might not be "comfy" but not dangerous levels of cold.

If he's still around Castaic, he should be ok. It's cooler at night but with the temps being in the high 80's low 90's during the day, it should be ok.

If he's around Oregon or even up to WA by now, it's been chilly and rainy the past few days. IMO, he would need a jacket and a blanket (at night). But there are plenty of people living on the streets both in Portland and Seattle and they make it year round. Hopefully, if he is camping or living outdoors somewhere, he has somehow managed to get some supplies by now. Sleeping bag, pants (because wasn't he supposedly wearing shorts when he disappeared?) etc.

While it depends on the person, mid 40-50s can be fine if there is no rain (or wet), wind chill factor and if you aren't just laying in the open under the stars. Anyone without camping gear would find a sheltered place to sleep, like a restroom or the side of a building, build a fire, use someone else's leftover fire, make a lean-to, or find some other protected area. Many campgrounds still have people in them, and will until late October, even up north. A trash bag (and you can often get a fresh one if you are paying attention when they change the can liners in a campground) does wonders for keeping you warm and/or dry. Keeping hydrated will also help keep you from hypothermia. People leave gear behind at campgrounds, and I can't think of any campgrounds I've been to where there wasn't at least 2 lost jackets laying on the ground somewhere. I see abandoned jackets and clothes all over the streets, too. (Ever sat something on top of your car, then driven away....I lost a few sodas that way)

The main thing is staying dry, which is getting harder to do in Northern California/Oregon/Washington.

While it depends on the person, mid 40-50s can be fine if there is no rain (or wet), wind chill factor and if you aren't just laying in the open under the stars. Anyone without camping gear would find a sheltered place to sleep, like a restroom or the side of a building, build a fire, use someone else's leftover fire, make a lean-to, or find some other protected area. Many campgrounds still have people in them, and will until late October, even up north. A trash bag (and you can often get a fresh one if you are paying attention when they change the can liners in a campground) does wonders for keeping you warm and/or dry. Keeping hydrated will also help keep you from hypothermia. People leave gear behind at campgrounds, and I can't think of any campgrounds I've been to where there wasn't at least 2 lost jackets laying on the ground somewhere. I see abandoned jackets and clothes all over the streets, too. (Ever sat something on top of your car, then driven away....I lost a few sodas that way)

The main thing is staying dry, which is getting harder to do in Northern California/Oregon/Washington.

Maybe he's got everyone fooled and is with friends on a warm beach in Mexico sipping a margarita :)

As I recall someone posted weeks ago there was a Bryce sighting in San Diego. Ensenada Mexico is only 1hr 30min away. Lots of college kids there during breaks.

Maybe he's got everyone fooled and is with friends on a warm beach in Mexico sipping a margarita :)

As I recall someone posted weeks ago there was a Bryce sighting in San Diego. Ensenada Mexico is only 1hr 30min away. Lots of college kids there during breaks.

I, for one, would be more than happy if this were the case! Would just be so glad he was safe, alive, and warm! I WOULD want to say "Call your Mama!!" but other than that, I'd be fine with this scenario. :p :)

Thanks to all for the replies and detailed descriptions. Seems like if he's outside he needs to be found NOW before it gets colder or wetter, but sounds like he might be ok so far. I'm several hours North of where he was last seen (or in between if the Oregon sightings were correct), but we had heavy rain last Saturday that would probably make it hard to stay dry somewhere.

I, for one, would be more than happy if this were the case! Would just be so glad he was safe, alive, and warm! I WOULD want to say "Call your Mama!!" but other than that, I'd be fine with this scenario. :p :)

Me too! I don't happen to think this is the case, but I'd sure love it if it is.

RSBM :)

If it really is common for there to be so many burning body cases, you are not the only one to never have noticed before! When that burning body turned up at Castaic a few days after Bryce disappeared, that was the first I had ever heard of that I can remember. But while I was looking up articles about that one, I stumbled across several others. Two of which were found at or near Castaic Lake. I thought that was a rather bizarre coincidence since this does not seem to be a common method to dispose of a body. But it must be more so than I knew!

Maybe it's one of those " you don't see it till you know about it, then you see it everywhere" kind of things. You know, if you buy a certain car and don't know anyone with that car and suddenly, everywhere you go, you see others with the same car! ;)

Anyways, just wanted to let you know you aren't alone in being freaked out by this newly discovered burning body nor the surprise of "so many" of these occurrences!

Thanks to all for the replies and detailed descriptions. Seems like if he's outside he needs to be found NOW before it gets colder or wetter, but sounds like he might be ok so far. I'm several hours North of where he was last seen (or in between if the Oregon sightings were correct), but we had heavy rain last Saturday that would probably make it hard to stay dry somewhere.

My DH and I don't believe the sighting in Oregon was Bryce. The tattoo would have been obvious it is BIG!!! Who else at the campground saw the guy?

We think yellow Camaro did a great job observing all the details of the road and surrounding area where the truck went over. He seemed to know what he was talking about and he believed it was pushed over.

RSBM :)

If it really is common for there to be so many burning body cases, you are not the only one to never have noticed before! When that burning body turned up at Castaic a few days after Bryce disappeared, that was the first I had ever heard of that I can remember. But while I was looking up articles about that one, I stumbled across several others. Two of which were found at or near Castaic Lake. I thought that was a rather bizarre coincidence since this does not seem to be a common method to dispose of a body. But it must be more so than I knew!

Maybe it's one of those " you don't see it till you know about it, then you see it everywhere" kind of things. You know, if you buy a certain car and don't know anyone with that car and suddenly, everywhere you go, you see others with the same car! ;)

Anyways, just wanted to let you know you aren't alone in being freaked out by this newly discovered burning body nor the surprise of "so many" of these occurrences!

Thank you for posting. :) I think you're right, it's just a situational thing but man.. it's hard for me to believe I hadn't noticed burning bodies in the news before now. I was seriously starting to think I was nuts... which I might be, but I couldn't believe it when I saw yet another story like this. I suppose logically I believe it, it just makes me shake my head!

I hope they can ID this person quickly - last I heard they weren't even sure on gender. It has to be torture for the families who are missing loved ones.

Sorry to quote myself but thank you again for the replies!

Rrelated to Bryce as far as I know but I didn't think it'd make national news and wanted to follow up. Burning body found in Sacramento area... guy was in his early 60s. The story seems shady to me but also seems unrelated to Bryce.
http://www.kcra.com/news/local-news...de/-/12969376/13680604/-/1g9qo4z/-/index.html

My DH and I don't believe the sighting in Oregon was Bryce. The tattoo would have been obvious it is BIG!!! Who else at the campground saw the guy?

We think yellow Camaro did a great job observing all the details of the road and surrounding area where the truck went over. He seemed to know what he was talking about and he believed it was pushed over.

If Bryce did this, It would be a pretty dramatic break with his life to go pushing an expensive SUV over an embankment and walking away from his life and family. I can think of very few stressors that would elicit that type of behavior in a person.

Of course the alternative to that would be someone else pushing the vehicle over after an "event" to delay LE reaction time to the "event" and muddy the waters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member