823 users online (117 members and 706 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
    Re: Family History

Author: adelaide Date: 23 Aug 2003 12:45 PM GMT
    Surnames: Dessena Adelaide Ignazia Lalla
    Classification: Query

Our grand father Salvatore Soddu had a brother, is name was Giorgio, he goes in USA west virginia in beginning 1900, he was 16 years old.He changed his surname in Sodder, we have a photo of George family (1960),he had five soons,and his wife's name was Maria Cipriani. We live in Italy, Sardegna in a little village Tula in Sassari's provincia. We are Ignazia,Adelaide e Lalla Dessena our mother is Anna Maria Soddu.Sorry for our english. Is the person that you are looking for? bye bye

I searched a combination of names for "Dessena Adelaide Ignazia Lalla", and no hits. Then, I searched for Anna Maria Soddu in Tula. This is where I got a hit http://it.paginebianche.yahoo.net/ex...&nc=&x=0&y=0..[/QUOTE]

One hit for the name Dessena in Tula
    Dessena Giovanna
    07010 Tula (SS) - Via S. Elena, 15
    • 079 718152

Granddaughter,

Do you know if your family here in the US has any contact with the family members in Italy? Have they kept in touch over the years? Does Sylvia know this woman who claims to be Salvatore Soddu's Granddaughter? Did George & Jennie have contact with them after coming to the US?
    Retired 08/03/03

Hi All!! Glad to see the new info here!! Exciting!! I've been away too long - we're closing our antique store after 4 years and, gosh, it's a lot more work to GO OUT OF BUSINESS than to be in business. But, enough about me!!

I see a reference to the post of "Adelaide" in the rootsweb forum. I sent her an e-mail several months back (per that address she listed there) and although it didn't bounce back, I never heard back from her?

I have to go back and catch up on the last posts of the first thread so maybe someone else has been contacted too. But, I have heard back from my detective mag guy and he has located the magazine that had the story in it. Should be arriving to me in a few days. I'll share what I can when I get it (provided I'm not way behind here on what's been posted).

Once our store gets officially signed and sealed, I'll have some free time to run around and do some research so post some ideas for me if you have any. I want to go to the libraries and read up on what kind of things were just generally going on in Fayetteville about the time this happened...

Gosh, I've missed this....

A Smithers woman claimed that the kids had been brought to her home after the fire and then someone with Florida license plates came and took them away.
    I don't know if this is the same woman that the authorities claim to have talked to and decided that she was not credible or not.

Welcome back-L Butler! To answer this post (above) that was on the other page questioning whether the woman in Smithers and the motel owner in Charleston who said she saw the children that night-I think these are two different people. One was at Smithers and one was in Charleston. Does anyone know the Smithers woman's name and if she was Italian? The Lady from Charleston said she saw the children with Italian men that night and called a year later and said she saw Louis with a man in Charleston again. The lady in Smithers said they were brought to her house after the fire and then someone with Florida license plates came and took them away. The motel operator's name in Charleston was Ida Crutchfield.
    Last edited by drema; 01-26-2006 at 10:54 PM.

Moving to WV for a Month

I am waiting on my thesis to be accepted, but in the mean time I am moving back to Fayetteville from Boston to spend a month with my family and to research and talk about this with people effective February 3. If anyone is interested in meeting me and helping me look for answers please let me know.

Jonathan
    http://www.ncjrs.gov/pdffiles1/nij/grants/211677.pdf

Shadow205 you had posted in the other thread:

Shadowangel & I are trying to drum up some interest within the anthropology departments at 2 Universities here in WV. I think it could be quite a class project.
    Any update?

Nothing yet Yaya. I think that we need to establish how the current property owners would feel about their property being excavated before we go any further with that idea. I noticed in the above post that Jonathan is coming to Fayetteville, maybe that would be the time to approach them.

Quote Originally Posted by Yaya
    Shadow205 you had posted in the other thread:

Any update?
    Retired 08/03/03

Here are some hightlights from Inside Detective, February, 1968 that I just found:

The title is "The Children who went up in Smoke" -
    • According to the article it all began a few months before Christmas 1945. A stranger appeared in the fall of 1945 to discuss some hauling work. While there, he made a point of examining the wiring of the house. He stated there was going to be a fire pointing to two fuse boxes. Mr. Sodder had not ask him to inspect the fuse boxes.
    • A few days before Christmas the family noticed another thing which seem unimportant at the time. A man parked in an automobile was seen watching the Sodder children when they came home from school. The unknown man was seen several times parked along the highway.
    • There was no Christmas tree that year because the family was sad Joe had not made it home for Christmas. (So, a Christmas tree did not start the blaze).
    • When the telephone rang at 12:30 a.m. Mrs. Sodder saw Marian alseep on the couch in the living room. Lights were on through the house, shades were up and the door was open as though no one had taken time to close up the house before going to bed. The caller was a woman. Mrs. Sodder heard weird laughter of another person in the background. The person asked for a man who was not, nor had any reason to be at the Sodder residence.
    • Mrs. Sodder locked the doors, pulled the shades and turned off all but one light which was was normally kept on during the night. She did not wake Marian who had fallen a sleep while reading a magazine.
    • 30 minutes after the phone call she heard a thud on the roof. About to doze off again she smelled smoke around 1:30 a.m.
    • The three girls sleep in the first bedroom immediately at the top of the stairs. There was no door at the top of the steps into the girls room which means that could have easily have heard Mrs. Sodder's calls.
    • The boy's room was in the back blocked by a door to the girl's room.
    • The engine would not turn over in the truck in the garage nearby.
    • The house was seven rooms. Five rooms were downstairs, 2 were upstairs where the children slept.
    • December 28- Three men and a woman came to the Sodders to see the babies as if to learn if the parent suspected anything. (Article does not state if the Sodders knew these people).
    • Later, Mrs. Sodder begin to burn pork chops bones, etc. in her stove. After the fire died the bones were still there.
    • Three months after the fire, baby Sylvia found a device which could contain explosive or jellied gasoline. It was later identifed as an Army pineapple. The end of the object was slightly burned.
    • No one interviewed who was present at the fire smelled burning flesh or heard screams.
    • A man riding a bus past the scene around 1 a.m. stated he remembered seeing what appeared to be balls of fire hurtling toward the roof of the house.
    • Another woman said thought she saw some of the children peering from a passing automobile while the fire was in progress.
    • The ladder was found 75 feet down a embankment from the Sodder home.
    • A woman operating a tourist court on the highway between Fayetteville and Charleston, around 50 miles west of the fire said she saw the children the morning of the fire. She served them breakfast. In the parking lot was a car with Florida plates. She remembered this after a picture of the children were put in the Charleston paper after the family became suspicious. She knew nothing of the fire that morning. She found out about it when she read the article and related the pictures to the children she saw the next morning.
    • Another woman saw the article and said she saw four of the five children at a hotel a week or so after the fire accompanied by two women and two men, Italians. They registered around midnight. She tried to talk to the children but the men appeared hostile and refused to let her talk to the children. The younger boy answered a friendly comment she made and one of the girls began to talk to her. The man started talking in Italian and everyone stopped talking. They all stayed in one room of the motel and left early the next day. She, too, had never heard of the fire. The same woman said 8 months later (August 1946, a man with a boy stayed at the Alderson Hotel (same hotel) and the young man called the boy his "ward". He never let him out of his sight. The woman never connected the case until she saw pictures of the Sodder children. She did not remember seeing the older boy (Maurice). She recognized Louis after having seen him at the same hotel 8 months earlier. The lady said they stayed approximately 3 days.
    • The lady who said she made the call the night of the fire retracted her statement later.
    More later if you are interested.
    Last edited by drema; 01-28-2006 at 08:52 AM.

Very interesting Drema. Please post more.
    Retired 08/03/03

There is a couple of things from yesterday's post that I would like to change or verify:

• The lady who said she made the call did not retract her statement, she changed her story.
    • The young man seen with the boy in August 1946, that the woman thought was the same boy as she had seen a week after the fire, was an Italian. (Brother Frankie)?
    • Something new from the post of yesterday: The picture Mr. and Mrs. Sodder found and Mr. Sodder went to New York to investigate was one of two beginners in a ballet class at the West Side center of the New York Children's Aid Society. He was informed there could be no question about the child's parantage and therefore it could not possibly be the child he sought. How did they know? This was Betty according to Jennie-Grandaughter.
    I have a busy ahead-will post more when I can this afternoon. L Butler-did you get your copy of the magazine you said you ordered. Is it the same one? Feel free to chime in or add your comments if you have received your book.

Family Contacts

Hi -

Sorry for the sporadic posts. I'm waiting on my big brother to finish the website so I can post the stuff we've found.

My grandparents apparently remained in contact with my grandfather's family in Tula. Mom found a death announcement for one brother and a military photo for another brother among some of my Mama's letters. The death announcement was for Sini Ignazai in Soddu, who lived from 2-2-1899 to 12-19-1963. The military photo was of Giau Gavins Soddu. Mom's not aware of any continued contact with the family in Italy after my grandfather's death in 1969.

I plan to post some photos of my grandparents on Monday. The photos in the magazines were all pretty bad, and we wanted you to be able to see the people who would have appreciated your efforts so much.

Hi all, first post and I guess I will begin by addressing a post made by Shadowangel's post #20 for this thread first and have a few more thoughts on other things as well, that have not been mentioned. Don't get me wrong, I am not trying to step on toes or make anyone mad, just curious about some things and maybe offering up some other ideas.

I'm sorta familiar with the military, and I have never heard of a device like that mentioned here. All grenades have always been made of metal, and the US military never produced a napalm grenade-only large bombs. Napalm was also used in flame throwers. Napalm devices use either white phosphorus or thermite (or thermate) to ignite the napalm, which burn at about 4000 degrees...I don't think a hollow rubber ball is going to survive! (The Us does use an icendiary grenade, which is metal and tubular-it basically ignites and burns in place. I've seen one burn through an auto engine block. I'll speak to a historian at the West Point Museum tomorrow just to be sure, though).
    I did a fast Google search for pineapple bomb and after weeding out all the bartender recipes for this drink, (where on Earth do they come up with some of these names for drinks?) I came across this bit of info. Now granted it was used during the Vietnam war in this article, but before it was used there, I am sure many different models were made prior to it's use during that war and the research had to begin somewhere or the design stolen from another country in another war. In any case, here's a snip of the article and the link to it follows.

As well as explosive bombs the United States Air Force dropped a considerable number of incendiary devices. The most infamous of these was napalm, a mixture of petrol and a chemical thickner which produces a tough sticky gel that attaches itself to the skin. The igniting agent, white phosphorus, continues burning for a considerable amount of time. A reported three quarters of all napalm victims in Vietnam were burned through to the muscle and bone (fifth degree burns). The pain caused by the burning is so traumatic that it often causes death.

The US also made considerable use of anti-personnel bombs. The pineapple bomb was made up of 250 metal pellets inside a small canister. Gloria Emerson, a reporter in Vietnam, witnessed their use: "An American plane could drop a thousand pineapples over an area the size of four football fields. In a single air strike two hundred and fifty thousand pellets were spewed in a horizontal pattern over the land below, hitting everything on the ground."
    http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/VNchemical.htm

I also found this link doing a napalm grenade search on Google too
    A napalm grenade, packed in a heavy plastic sphere almost the exact size and weight of a baseball. The detonator should be of very low power -- just enough to break the plastic shell and ignite the inflammable. If the napalm is packed under pressure, it will spread itself when the case breaks. The detonator (a contact cap) should be carried separately and inserted or screwed in just before throwing. This would allow a man to carry a sack full of balls without danger to himself. Now, we probably have developed some fine riflemen, sharpshooters, etc., but there isn't an American boy over thirteen who can't peg a baseball from infield to home plate with accuracy. And a grown man with sandlot experience can do much better. It is the natural weapon for Americans. Six good men could ring an area with either napalm or white phosphorus faster than you could throw a magazine into an automatic or a machine gun. And an enemy with a bit of flame on his clothes or even in front of him is out of combat. The weapon would also be valuable for cleaning out tunnels and foxholes. Mounted as a rifle grenade, the Steinbeck super ball would also be valuable for burning off cover of extra ambush country or of tree-borne sniper fire.
    http://50books.blogspot.com/2005/08/...uper-ball.html

Now this last one does sound very similar to the item that Sylvia found and the balls of fire that the busdriver claims to have seen.

I have also noticed that depending upon the article, the source of the fire has never truly been established. One item stated it was the fuse box, (or one of the 2 fuse boxes), and another item states that it began on the tar paper and wood roof. I would like to know where the fuse boxes were located at that time. I know of several homes located in upper Ohio that still operate on the original fuse box and it is located on an outside wall and with those fuses that if ya blow one, use a penny in it concept. So that is why I ask. Threats were to have been made by both a person stating the fuse box/s would cause a fire and by the fella that was upset over insurance and their Italian history. Sorry, to lazy to hunt down those threads right now. I just thought it was interesting to add that fuse boxes were not always inside the home and access to those might have been just as easy, if not easier, than access the phone line.

Marie is offline Daughter, if you don't remember us...who will?
    If you google "pineapple bomb WWII" you'll find some information.

Question

Thanks, Meduza. If you find out information let up know. Even the smallest clue may lead to something. The bomb makes more sense to me now since I thought the pineapple grenade was metal anyway. Don't know where the fuse box was but people were more open to letting people in their homes then than nowdays.

Some more:
    • The Sodders felt the telephone lines had to have been cut after the call around 12:30 since the phone was working then. Mr. Sodder felt that someone cut the line in an attempt to cut off the electricity in the house so they would not be able to find their way out. However, the telephone line was cut.
    • Something that has not been mentioned: A taxi brought several folks to the fire from a local tavern. No one could ever found the taxi driver or what company it came from. This was probably where the rumor came about that the children watched the fire from a taxi.
    • Mr. Sodder heard the children were in Cortez, Florida. A detective went there looking and showed the pictures of the children around. Some people thought they had seen the children, however, there was no evidence the children were still there.
    • The coroner's inquest was going on during the search for the children. When Mrs. Sodder was told no bones were found she stated that was impossible. Shortly after, a three story house burned in the area. 7 people burned including a 2 month old baby. All the remains, including the 2 month old baby were found.
    • A detective stated that maybe the children slipped out of the house to meet someone who had promised them a party and presents.
    This is not a part of the detective magazine:
    Here are my thoughts about that: During that time a man was hired every year around Christmas time to greet the children of Fayetteville during Christmas. Although he was a local citizen, he would fly into Fayetteville. The children loved it. Let me clarify that I do not think this man had anything to do with the missing Sodder children. I will not name him for that reason. However he was sponsored by local merchants to do this each Christmas. My point being, that a Santa Claus suit was very available if anyone wanted to get the children out of the house by playing Santa. What if Santa came to visit that night, the children saw him and scurried out of the house without closing the door. It would be a good way to get the kids out of the house, since all the windows shades were open and you could see outside. That leaves Maurice and Martha who would not have been fooled by Santa but perhaps they got caught up in the moment. What a perfect time on Christmas eve to see Santa coming!
    • George, Jr. called to Maurice and thought he heard him grunt. However, he could not confirm this because of everything going on.
    I keep wondering what happened to Maurice and (please Sodders forgive me) but I sometimes wonder after reading the detective magazine that perhaps he may have been in the fire. The lady in Charleston said the older boy was not present when the people stayed in the motel. Maybe that would account for the bones even through the man in Washington stated that he did not believe they had been exposed to fire. Just a thought...
    • Someone in a earlier post ask where Joe was: Here is the answer. He was still in North Carolina awaiting his discharge and could not come home because of that. John had been home around a week.
    From the Unsolved Mysteries book: Mr. Sodder stated several people stopped by. He thought one guy was a soldier. Could this man, whoever he was, have been the one who helped with the grenade? Again just a thought.

Meduza-

The "napalm grenade" mentioned in the second link was the product of John Steinbeck's imagination. The author goes on to say he consulted someone with knowledge of weapons and was told Steinbeck's science was "way off". No such device was ever used by the military. The incendiary grenade used by the military was a cylindrical metal container.

The device Sylvia discovered may have been the work of someone local with a knowledge of explosives, a diminutive version of a "Molotov cocktail".

Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast