ID - Robert Manwill, 8, Boise, 24 July 2009 - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search for Robert Manwill turns grim
Man 'sick' as police search his yard; father of mother's boyfriend says son accused him
Published: 08/01/09
<snipped>
The man whose Boise home and yard were being searched Friday night for evidence related to Robert Manwill's disappearance says he knows the 8-year-old's family but has no idea what may have happened to him.

Evan Wallis told the Idaho Statesman that he doesn't know what police are looking for at his rental home in the 6600 block of Southdale Avenue, near Five Mile Road in Southwest Boise.

"If it's going to help anything, do it," Wallis said. He said he knows Robert's mother and her boyfriend but is much closer to the boyfriend's brother, David Ehrlick. "I'm innocent. I'm an innocent bystander."

On Friday, police said they had discovered "suspicious circumstances," and as night fell authorities were searching Wallis' backyard.

The Statesman interviewed Wallis at David Ehrlick's home in the 2800 block of Bannock Street. Also interviewed there was Daniel Ehrlick Sr., the father of David Ehrlick and Daniel Ehrlick Jr.

Daniel Ehrlick Sr. said that his son Daniel had accused him of taking Robert and that police had questioned him repeatedly.

2ND HEADLINE:
THE BACKYARD SEARCH, A STOLEN SUBURBAN
Wallis said the police were digging up his backyard after bloodhounds picked up a scent at his house.

He said his black-and-gray Chevy Suburban was stolen July 22 after someone came into his house and took the keys. He found it Monday after returning from a weekend away and called the Ada County Sheriff's Department.

When officials investigated, he told them of his connection to the Ehrlick family.

"I mentioned that I know these guys. I've met the little boy," Wallis said.

"It makes me sick to know this is going down at my house right now," he said. "I didn't do nothing back there. I'm not going to say for the record nothing's back there because I don't know. Maybe something did happen along the lines when I was out of town."

3RD HEADLINE:
EHRLICH'S FATHER: MY SON ACCUSED ME
A man Robert called "Grandpa" said Friday that he has been questioned repeatedly by investigators after his older son accused him of taking Robert and told investigators the same thing.

Daniel Ehrlick Sr., a former Marine who served in Vietnam, said he thought he saw Robert on the day he was reported missing when he stopped by Ehrlick Jr.'s apartment to drop off money to help pay bills.

"(Ehrlick Jr.) told me that Robert was down in the back. When I came to the door, I don't know if it was then that I spotted it, or I spotted it before, but I spotted another boy that looked just like Robert with a white T-shirt on," Ehrlick Sr. said.

Ehrlick Sr. and his youngest son, David, told a story of a boy that was constantly in trouble with his mother for the pettiest of infractions. David Ehrlick said that Robert was not allowed to go outside and play during a recent birthday party.

"It was scary around her with her children. Robert would get in trouble for everything. It didn't matter if it was asking a question, he'd get grounded. He'd have to sit on his hands," said David Ehrlick. "He's just a little boy."

Said Ehrlick Sr.: "That's why I was afraid to even say, 'Robert, let's go fishing.'"

4TH HEADLINE:
POLICE AT THE APARTMENT, THE LANDFILL, THE HOUSE
The police and FBI have been investigating some of the people closest to Robert - including the boy's mother, her boyfriend and his father.

After spending hours searching the apartment shared by Jenkins and Ehrlick Jr. - and removing at least two cars from the Oak Park Village apartment complex near Vista Avenue - police announced that they had found new evidence that showed Robert could have been "the victim of a tragic event." They asked the more than 2,300 volunteers scouring Boise to start looking for signs of a crime.

Meanwhile, officers converged on Wallis' home and cordoned off an area of the Hidden Hollow Landfill that had been left alone since trash was dumped there the morning after Robert was reported missing.

Landfill operators said they could use a backhoe to spread Saturday's refuse thin enough to be searched, if asked.

Boise police had said all week that they had no reason to suspect foul play and had no suspects. But friends and family members say officers had been examining several people close to Robert.

A Saint Alphonsus Regional Medical Center spokesperson said Friday that Ehrlick Jr. had been admitted and released from the hospital but did not say exactly when or for what he was treated.

Police plan a news conference at noon Saturday to update the public.

NEW UPDATED PHOTO GALLERY: Search for 8-year-old Robert Manwill
http://www.idahostatesman.com/258/gallery/848267.html

A crime scene investigator works in the back yard of a home in 6600 block of Southdale Drive Friday afternoon as part of the search for missing eight-year-old Robert Manwill. Two neighbors peer through cracks in the fence to watch. Police have not said what they are looking for at this location.
692-0731_local_search.embedded.prod_affiliate.36.jpg

Article:
http://www.idahostatesman.com/eyepiece/story/852598.html

:angel:

Welcome to WS, Idaho. Sorry it's not under better circumstances.
I really appreciate your insight.

Thanks for the welcome Liz.
The whole stolen suburban story makes no sense. That's throw away info. If that suburban is playing a role...the cops would have towed it by now. I think he's trying to show he wasn't involved...he left town so he could say he wasn't around and wasn't involved. That's the first thing he said. I had nothing to do with it. Why else would you leave right after someone stole your vehicle.
He also said someone came into, not broke into...so yeah, someone known to him "borrowed" the truck...he's calling it stolen now because he's worried the suburban is hot.

Just did a check on the Idaho Judicial Repository website for Evan Wallis.
He appears to (correct me if I'm wrong) be serving a 5 year suspended sentence for Felony Possession of a synthetic controlled substance. Looks like he was convicted but for some reason Judge Ron Wilper decided that, rather than have him go to the ISCI (State Pen) that he'd suspend the sentence and put him on probation. They dropped the Marijuana charge and the paraphenelia charge that went with it. This was from 04' so Maybe he's not on probation any longer...not sure when the probation started...This guy has no credibility whatsoever. He's a criminal and a liar. IMO. He also has a 10 year old rap sheet. Starting with Minor consumption and tobacco violations and including what appears to be child support to the state because they had custody of his Kids around 2007.

Welcome to WS's Idaho!

Thanks for the update & background info. I'm sure I have some questions, but I'm still taking in all your info.....& I'm stuck on :eek: :eek: right now!!!!!

What a WOW 1st Post by the way!

Going to bed. 1:30 am Boise Time. Hopefully this will be over today.

Thank you, Angel
I wish this had never happened. No-one deserves to have this happen to them, especially not a child.
I'll check back in after I've had some sleep.
Idaho.

Search for missing Boise boy takes grim turn
12:03 PM Fri, Jul 31, 2009
<snipped>
Editor's note: We have been experiencing technical difficulties today. To bring you the story, we are presenting this stripped down version of KTVB.COM
UPDATE - 10:04pm: Ada County Sheriff's Deputies and Boise Police Officers spent Friday evening searching a home on Southdale St. near Five Mile and Lake Hazel. Officials received a search warrant, and began looking through the scene at 6:15 p.m.

The people who rented the home spoke exclusively to KTVB and said they knew the Manwill family, but would not elaborate further.

Officers began searching the backyard of the home, including an RV and car. The search also focused on an area of disturbed earth. Equipment from Boise State University was brought in - which was said to be sonar.

Later, a group of seven people used a series of four foot rods and went through the area. They also used shovels to probe the dirt.

They then marked off the area with red evidence flags. The work wrapped up just before 10 p.m. Friday night. It is not known what was found - if anything.

Police will resume the search Saturday morning.

Article:
http://blogs.ktvb.com/breaking/2009/07/police-evidence-manwill-was-in.html

Latest on missing Idaho boy 8:12
Added On July 31, 2009
The search intensifies for missing 8-year-old Robert Manwill. HLN's Jane Velez-Mitchell has the latest.
http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/bestoftv/2009/07/31/jvm.manwill.latest.cnn
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This is to the right near the bottom of this article in this idahostatesman!

ROBERT MANWILL'S FAMILY AND THEIR FRIENDS
Robert Manwill: The 8-year-old boy who has been missing since July 24.

Melissa Scott Jenkins: Robert's mother.

Charles Manwill: Robert's father, who has been divorced from Jenkins since October 2002.

Daniel Ehrlick Jr.: Jenkins' boyfriend.

Daniel Ehrlick Sr.: The father of Ehrlick Jr. He said his son accused him of taking Robert.

David Ehrlick: Ehrlick Jr.'s younger brother.

Evan Wallis: David Ehrlick's friend whose backyard was being searched Friday night.

Trisha Burrill: Robert's aunt and a family spokeswoman.

http://www.idahostatesman.com/localnews/story/852598.html

I just read back some and realized it is your birthday, Angel! HAPPY BIRTHDAY to a real life Angel! :rose: :rose: :rose:
:balloons: :HappyBday: :balloons:

seems to me that Sr suspects his son (the mom's b/f) might have gotten into his house and taken the keys. the son might have had keys to the house so its technically i guess not breaking into it. but it also seems he doesn't want to come right out and say it probably was his son.

Thank you!!! Works great. :)

As much as I hate to even consider things like this...if poor little Robert's body is hidden somewhere, I would much rather it be here than in the landfill. I know that it really makes no difference, as he would still be gone, but still. I hope that they are just searching the landfill for additional evidence.

I understand completely what you're saying, and I agree! :hug:

Catching up and posting from bberry. Fwiw and wanted to add to the bf going to the hospital. I study serial killers. In hindsight many have such an edrenailin rush that they almost have a heart attack and go to the er. Or they know there goose is cooked and have a severe panic attack. They fear for their own fate not of their victims. This also applies to sociopaths. Again. Fwiw.

Thank you, SuziQ! The same thought crossed my mind...we've seen a reaction exactly as you described in another recent case.....

I'm not seeing anything new this morning. Is anyone else? TIA.

Whoops sorry Fifth I posted the article too with the photo....I had to re-boot & got behind on the thread.

I'm so upset....it's my birthday as of midnight & my only wish for it was for Robert to be found & that no more children go missing in the world, or harmed by anyone ever again. :shakehead:
There are too many parent's that should have never had children in the 1st place. They are all a gift from God & should all be loved & cherished forever. Why do parent's do these things I'll never understand....when there are so many other couples in the world that would love to have children & can't.

:praying: for Robert.

OT

{{{{{{Happy Birthday!!!!! }}}}}}}

And of course your birthday wish is just what an Angel *would wish! I think it's a beautiful wish!

I'm sorry there's no better news, I know you're sad - and why, and if it helps - please know - we're all here with you!!!! :grouphug:

*Also know - that there are many Angels watching over you from above on this day - wishing you a happy day despite all that's happening in this world - so for them - for Robert and Nevaeh, and for us as well - please take a few moments today for yourself, appreciate something beautiful, take some deep breaths, find a rainbow, inhale the scent of flowers, eat something decadent (nothing you consume on your birthday has calories :winko:) .......and know that we'll all be patiently waiting for your updates when you return! :balloons:

I'm on the east coast so I realize it is still very early there. I hope we get a report soon about the yard.

Pardon my post if I'm off a little. I am new to this site.
I've read each of your posts. Just want to say thank you for all the kind, heartfelt and compassionate words. This is truly maddening. I hope there is a huge public outcry when the bastards are found out!

Have a few things to get off my chest.

First, The house on Southdale looks like a landfill. If you check this address on google maps and look at the street level view, then move your green guy to the street behind the home. There is nothing around this place for miles and 3-4 houses in a row appear to have their backyard in common. This place is a trash hole and could easily be a meth lab or God knows what. Sad part is there are kids that live/lived here too. Perhaps they are already safe in CPS custody.

2nd, Not one of the adults in Roberts life has a clean record. Not even his Dad. Every single one of them has run afoul of the law. Ehrlick is the most consistent and delinquent, offender with a drug conviction, burglery, battery etc. and has been at it for some time, His rap sheet Dates back almost 20 years. Not to mention the sealed case that he and Melissa have and the most recent injury to a child that Ehrlick is clearly supporting Melissa on.
If my wife did that to my kid. I'm not certain of how I would deal with her. But we would not be together for one minute after I found out.

Melissa has 3 kids with 3 separate bio dads...has lost custody of all 3. Tried to kill her infant and may have finally been successful this time. She's also dragging collections and other little sordid details around.

The JW and M.A. Whi***** family have notorious rap sheets for a myriad of violations...good people....not surprised they are "friends" with the family.

The "legal system" has failed our community and these children for YEARS! Robert is 8. His mom and Ehrlick and his Dad Charles have had plenty of chances before him and since to get their act together. They've been ordered to go to parenting classes been through multiple divorces etc. Theses folks are habitual, chronic offenders. They don't pay bills, they don't maintain insurance, they don't pay child support or medicaid reimbursment when their kids are in "our" state custody. They don't obey traffic laws or really any laws for that matter. I'm guessing Ehrlick used "free health care" at St. Al's for his little visit. They live life on the fringe of society. They abuse kids and drugs and society in general.
Roberts Dad seems like the most stable of the group...but I don't know him.
I don't know any of these folks but there past precedes them here.

I hope I'm totally off base and this is all a big tragic accident. I've lived in Boise for a long time. I know a bunch of the cops working this case.
These things don't typically have a good ending or a good explanation.
This is beyond tragic.

I pray for Robert and his safe return and if it's not God's will then for his siblings, the infant and his toddler sister that God's grace is sufficient to watch over and protect them...

Sorry for Hijacking the thread. Just had to get some feelings and emotions out.

I'm happy to help and answer any questions. I live here in Boise.

{{{Welcome, Idaho!!!!}}}}

Great first post! Thank you as well for the offer of assistance - the input of "locals" is invaluable and brings a "local" feel to those of us so far away who are so desperate to help in any way ourselves! :clap:

I read somewhere this am and now I can't find the link so maybe someone can help me. Robert dad had another wife that killed thier 4 year old son.

What a sad world for this man and where is Robert???

I'm not seeing anything new this morning. Is anyone else? TIA.

Good morning! I've not seen anything new as of yet either......I did not want to go to sleep last night, certain that something would break soon. I'm thinking it's only a bit after 9 there now - mayhaps they waited until daybreak to continue......

I read somewhere this am and now I can't find the link so maybe someone can help me. Robert dad had another wife that killed thier 4 year old son.

What a sad world for this man and where is Robert???

http://www.idahostatesman.com/newsupdates/story/848900.html

Robert's father, meanwhile, has already lost a son. In 1993, his first wife stabbed their 4-year-old boy in the chest. She spent 10 years in a federal prison after pleading guilty to voluntary manslaughter.

:Welcome-12-june:

Hellooooooooo Idahooooooooooooooo!!!

Your input has been informative and interesting! I hope you will become a frequent poster here!

My mom's family is from the Boise area and years ago I briefly lived in Boise and Star. Used to work at the Fairview Drive In when there was such a place!

As for you, AngelWhoCares a LOT!!!! I'll see YOU on in the Jury Room today!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa