Judge Belvin Perry

Status
Not open for further replies.
My friend Cat tells me that Judge Perry does not like cameras in the courtroom and sees them as a hindrance to justice.

I have been wondering what tactical advantage JB or CM could possibly have by getting rid of Strickland, when there was every indication that whoever they got would be stricter. Perhaps they guessed it would have to be Judge Perry.

And perhaps they were willing to go along with all the no-nonsense if it kept their client out of the cameras. This girl doesn't ever need to testify to make herself look bad. She does not present a sympathetic appearance in her many court appearances and they may not want her body language hyperanalyzed any longer. I cannot imagine that Perry will somehow reverse any rulings so I am still perplexed at why CM would think this was a good strategy. Unless it was simply to get her out of the public eye.

My friend Cat tells me that Judge Perry does not like cameras in the courtroom and sees them as a hindrance to justice.

I have been wondering what tactical advantage JB or CM could possibly have by getting rid of Strickland, when there was every indication that whoever they got would be stricter. Perhaps they guessed it would have to be Judge Perry.

And perhaps they were willing to go along with all the no-nonsense if it kept their client out of the cameras. This girl doesn't ever need to testify to make herself look bad. She does not present a sympathetic appearance in her many court appearances and they may not want her body language hyperanalyzed any longer. I cannot imagine that Perry will somehow reverse any rulings so I am still perplexed at why CM would think this was a good strategy. Unless it was simply to get her out of the public eye.

Do we know for certain, positively, absolutely that Judge Perry will not allow cameras in THIS courtroom? Reading over some of his cases fellow WSers have put forward on this thread, it sounds like there were cameras there - no?
This is such a high profile case I don't know if he will deny them - after all, we do have a clip of him sealing Casey's files until she was taken into custody. Why not then if now?

Fear not....if the cameras are not allowed I bet a particular blogger will be right there to give us the play by play. HaHa

It will be interesting because JP's father was a law enforcement officer. Growning up as a child of LE has it's advantages and disadvantages. My children always heard, "You should know better, you're dad's a cop." jmo

Yeah, that one could go either way. :bang: My stepkids have a mom, dad, grandfather, stepdad and an uncle who are cops and an aunt who works for 911 and my oldest stepson is a convicted felon. <big sigh>... :(

Sounds like JB and Co. have just shot themselves in the foot...

And it couldn't have happened to a better team. :twocents:

I totally agree with you. JB and Co. not only made themselves look like the village idiot but they have made it very apparent just how desperate they are at trying to find a defense for Casey.

BBM
And I wonder IF that was precisely why they wanted Stan out and him in.....so that they could use that "pro prosecution bias" in their request for COV?
But if a change of venue is granted, Judge Perry would still be the one hearing the case, right? The assigned judge goes where the case goes if it moves, correct? In that case, this would not help them at all.:waitasec:

Judge Perry also doesn't have a problem charging a woman with the death penalty. He was the prosecutor back in the 1980's of Judy Buenoano, nicknamed the Black Widow, where he sought and obtained a death sentence. She killed one husband, one son, one boyfriend and attempted to kill another boyfriend. Judy Buenoano was the first woman put to death in the state of Florida since 1848. After she murdered her husband, James Goodyear, Judy legally changed her last name from Goodyear to Buenoano, which means good year. It kind of reminds me of KC's Italian tattoo, bella vita.

Here's some info on her. Scary lady.

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/19...ear-prosecutor-belvin-perry-murder-conviction

http://www.clarkprosecutor.org/html/death/US/buenoano450.htm

That thought crossed my mind last night. What the defense wants is to blab to the media and paint a picture of Casey in THEIR words. If cameras are out of the courtroom they can spin the hearings/trial in favor of Casey.

Anyone looked at Marinade Dave's blog lately? Don't know if I can link or not but it's interesting to say the least.

But if a change of venue is granted, Judge Perry would still be the one hearing the case, right? The assigned judge goes where the case goes if it moves, correct? In that case, this would not help them at all.:waitasec:

I think the last time we were talking about this it was reported that it was easier to bring a jury in from another city and put them up in Orlando than drag 100 plus witness to let's say, Miami. Makes sense.

So, he was a "cop's cop" and is now a "judge's judge." ......... PERFECT PERFECT!!

Fear not....if the cameras are not allowed I bet a particular blogger will be right there to give us the play by play. HaHa

I'm sure you must be referring to WS's own :rocker:!! I feel much better now! sigh!!:innocent:

Do we know for certain, positively, absolutely that Judge Perry will not allow cameras in THIS courtroom? Reading over some of his cases fellow WSers have put forward on this thread, it sounds like there were cameras there - no?
This is such a high profile case I don't know if he will deny them - after all, we do have a clip of him sealing Casey's files until she was taken into custody. Why not then if now?

I have no idea if he will or not; I said he is purported not to like them is all - he has a proclivity to think they are not good for justice which leads me to believe he would prefer to err on the side of caution. There has already been a lot made of the media coverage regarding this case; allegations from the defense that she is being tried in the media (even though they fought a gag order) - innuendo in the recusal motion that somehow JS was playing to the media. Making a stink about media coverage and how it might have played into some kind of perception of bias just made me wonder.

It's not like the defense can ask for a gag order now - they fought it to begin with. But if a judge imposed a no camera rule for at least the trial, it might go a long way toward eliminating that claim from the defense in the future as well as keeping the cameras off their very unsympathetic defendant who does nothing to endear herself to a potential jury pool.

I don't know how long it's been since Orlando had a high-profile trial attracting global attention, so I couldn't say if Perry would consider this par for the course or react differently. The publicity has also racheted up quite a bit since the grand jury indictment too, or at least remained rather steady. I just think it will be interesting to see what he decides.

Dragging Richard Hornsby's comment over here in re. his views on Judge Perry.
(copied from the Judge Strickland Steps Down thread)

The winner in today's developments is the prosecution.

Judge Perry is a former prosecutor who is a no-nonsense, law and order, black letter law judge. Unless the legal issue is well settled in the defense's favor he will never rule for them; whereas Judge Strickland would be more apt to give an expansive view of the law.
More importantly, Judge Perry is the legislative liaison for the ninth circuit. So you can assure yourself that that the purse strings for the defense budgeting conference will be pulled tight.

---BBM, emphasis mine

I give this a lot of weight. He is batting 1,000 so far in his predictions on this case. Plus, it gives me hope. Particularly the bolded portion :)

on HLN they were discussing this Judge...........NO NONSENSE Judge!!!!

I think the last time we were talking about this it was reported that it was easier to bring a jury in from another city and put them up in Orlando than drag 100 plus witness to let's say, Miami. Makes sense.

Aside from CM wanting to make a big splash entering this case and look like he's someone to be reckoned with - I can't think of a single reason the Defense pulled this move. I think CM wants Baez to stay - if for no other reason than to make himself look better.

I just can't see this as a move they logically thought out while examining all the possible consequences. Sounds more like they were sitting around brainstorming and after having a few drinks too many, Baez said - let's get rid of this judge, and CM, being the "big gun" said - consider it done!
My guess is this won't profit them one iota - no motions will be overturned, the venue won't be changed, and Perry will ride their butts without mercy.

To quote some old friends of mine - "Ya might not get what you want - but you'll get what you need".

Exit stage right laughing my head off!

So, he was a "cop's cop" and is now a "judge's judge." ......... PERFECT PERFECT!!

His dad was the "cop's cop" but I'm sure he had a huge influence on him. If we had to lose Strickland, ITA that Perry is PERFECT!

Hi I'm new here, and I hope it's okay to ask a few questions?

I read on one of the news sites that new judge was the one presiding over the grand jury that indicted Casey, will the defense ask for this judge to step down because of that?

And can the defense keep asking for judges to step down if they don't like them? Is there a limit to how many times the defense can do this?

Thanks

Even though I'm sad to see JS go, the more I read about JP the more I like.

New, Chilling Testimony In Cop Killer Case

Terry is being called Davin Smith's accomplice and is still awaiting sentencing. Thursday afternoon, he refused to testify against Davin Smith.

"Based upon that I will find you in contempt of court," Chief Judge Belvin Perry
said.

Hugo Terry got 180 days for being held in contempt of court. He's already facing a sentence of life in prison.

http://www.wftv.com/news/20159360/detail.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member