Judge Belvin Perry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi I'm new here, and I hope it's okay to ask a few questions?

I read on one of the news sites that new judge was the one presiding over the grand jury that indicted Casey, will the defense ask for this judge to step down because of that?

And can the defense keep asking for judges to step down if they don't like them? Is there a limit to how many times the defense can do this?

Thanks

Hi and WELCOME TO WS!!!

No, under FL law the defense used their ONE AND ONLY chance to ask for a recusal. No more free passes.

Hi and WELCOME TO WS!!!

No, under FL law the defense used their ONE AND ONLY chance to ask for a recusal. No more free passes.

Thanks for the welcome. I wondered about that, so the defense gets one shot at the judge. That would mean that the trial goes on and the defense has to go to appeals if the judge did something they didn't like, right?

Thanks again.

Thanks for the welcome. I wondered about that, so the defense gets one shot at the judge. That would mean that the trial goes on and the defense has to go to appeals if the judge did something they didn't like, right?

Thanks again.

Hi Heatherhope and :Welcome-12-june: TO WS!!!

Hi Heatherhope and :Welcome-12-june: TO WS!!!

You guys are sweet, thanks!

Does anyone believe that this new judge might move the trial out of Orlando? I don't know if in the past he's done that with any high profile trials he's had.

Hi and WELCOME TO WS!!!

OH YES, happy news that I can actually crack a smile over!

I am actually beginning to think more and more that after much reading and hearing of the type of Judge that B. Perry is the defense will not benefit by refiling motions for new rulings other than expending and dragging for time. One thing I am certain of is Judge Strickland's rulings were anything but biased!

I am thinking it will serve the defense no purpose other than to completely annoy Judge Perry.

Today, I am beginning to look at this a little differently....:waitasec:

Personally, I think this move may have very well been carefully and logically planned out.....BY CM......and pitched to JB. I think it is possible this "plan" is Part A of a very big "last hurrah" for CM...

Read speculation online last night that perhaps the defense was not hoping for a more lenient judge, but in fact, was hoping (and anticipating) a harder nosed judge who was NOT as flexible and "fair and balanced" as Strickland to give more wiggle room for possible future appeal.

There sure has been a LOT of discussion about how "fair" Strickland has been to the defense in order to close all gaps on the road that leads to appeal.....maybe THAT is their defense at this point!

CM is definitely in a class with very few other high profile attorneys (include Cochran, Shapiro here) and Baez, although claiming to be so, is definitely NOT in that class. This was a brilliant move by CM in my mind and is only the beginning I imagine.

CM very well may have pitched a deal to Baez whereas he had a "plan" to turn this entire case around....get the judge removed, new judge assigned and readdress all previous motions (without actually giving his plan away to Baez until deal was struck). Baez probably figured CM was going to work FOR him....

BUT WHAT IF what Baez doesn't realize is that CM is using this ploy to involve himself in one of the largest publix cases in Florida, catch ALL of our attention by his shocking moves (household name), while at the same time, setting himself up to be Casey's "best boy" in her eye's....as Baez is pushed further and further into the corner.....and eventually is able to manipulate Casey's emotions and personality to attempt to negotiate with the state to offer a plea deal to get this case closed.

CM would become a hero in the eyes of the public....for getting this derailed circus back on track and in the direction of resolution.....CM would be the hero of all local defense attorneys (except maybe Baez :dance:).....but most of all, he will forever remain Casey's "bestest boy" for keeping her from death.

I have my suspicions on what direction this is going to take, and just like MD, I don't think Baez sees it coming....

CM is cunning and sly as a fox...make no mistake.

Baez is as naive as....well, a blogger with a penchant for barbeque.....

I actually hope you are right - well - I know you are right about pushing Baez out of the limelight - it is obvious just by his history he knows his way around a courtroom and has lots of wins in his past.

However, although Mason is known as a top gun - that wasn't evidenced in his first court appearance in this case. I'm wondering if he isn't actually like Shapiro, he is like - oh darn - what's his name - the one who trapped Furham in his racist comment, but later proved he was way over the hill and rapidly slid down the other side?

I know we keep trying to attribute some real smarts to this defense team, and then as sure as the sun comes up the next day, they make fools of us and themselves once more.

Most of the articles I've looked at have videos with them in the courtroom. I don't recall another high profile case in Orlando that's had as much coverage as this one. Maybe another local will recall. Hopefully, JP will continue to allow cameras in the courtroom.

Man Sentenced To Death For Killing Elderly Woman In Delaney Park

"Lionel Miller, may God almighty have mercy on your soul," 9th Judicial Circuit Judge Belvin Perry, Jr. said Friday.

At the Orange County courthouse Friday morning, Judge Perry sentenced Lionel Miller to death for the murder of 72-year-old Jerry Smith at her Delaney Park home on Easter Sunday 2006. It was a day Smith began peacefully at church before a neighborhood Easter egg hunt, but it ended violently after she invited Miller into her home for a cold glass of water.

Judge Perry said Smith feared for her life.

"Any person would have to fear that she or he would be next," Judge Perry said.

http://www.wftv.com/news/15194808/detail.html

Personally, I think this move may have very well been carefully and logically planned out.....BY CM......and pitched to JB. I think it is possible this "plan" is Part A of a very big "last hurrah" for CM...

Read speculation online last night that perhaps the defense was not hoping for a more lenient judge, but in fact, was hoping (and anticipating) a harder nosed judge who was NOT as flexible and "fair and balanced" as Strickland to give more wiggle room for possible future appeal.

There sure has been a LOT of discussion about how "fair" Strickland has been to the defense in order to close all gaps on the road that leads to appeal.....maybe THAT is their defense at this point!

CM is definitely in a class with very few other high profile attorneys (include Cochran, Shapiro here) and Baez, although claiming to be so, is definitely NOT in that class. This was a brilliant move by CM in my mind and is only the beginning I imagine.

CM very well may have pitched a deal to Baez whereas he had a "plan" to turn this entire case around....get the judge removed, new judge assigned and readdress all previous motions (without actually giving his plan away to Baez until deal was struck). Baez probably figured CM was going to work FOR him....

BUT WHAT IF what Baez doesn't realize is that CM is using this ploy to involve himself in one of the largest publix cases in Florida, catch ALL of our attention by his shocking moves (household name), while at the same time, setting himself up to be Casey's "best boy" in her eye's....as Baez is pushed further and further into the corner.....and eventually is able to manipulate Casey's emotions and personality to attempt to negotiate with the state to offer a plea deal to get this case closed.

CM would become a hero in the eyes of the public....for getting this derailed circus back on track and in the direction of resolution.....CM would be the hero of all local defense attorneys (except maybe Baez :dance:).....but most of all, he will forever remain Casey's "bestest boy" for keeping her from death.

I have my suspicions on what direction this is going to take, and just like MD, I don't think Baez sees it coming....

You know I would agree except for the fact that Casey is firmly gripping the bootstraps at I didn't and wouldn't hurt my Caylee. So I just simply cannot see her accepting or agreeing to any kind of plea deal but I surmise we'll soon all see!

I totally agree with you. JB and Co. not only made themselves look like the village idiot but they have made it very apparent just how desperate they are at trying to find a defense for Casey.
My mother used to say it's like cutting your nose off to spite your face. I think they pulled this cr*p because they could...and with a little tit-for-tat thrown in.

However, although Mason is known as a top gun - that wasn't evidenced in his first court appearance in this case. I'm wondering if he isn't actually like Shapiro, he is like - oh darn - what's his name - the one who trapped Furham in his racist comment, but later proved he was way over the hill and rapidly slid down the other side?

F. Lee Bailey??

Maybe...but I don't care who he is or what he's done...CM lost me with "fun". People will catch on real quick if that scenario you present is true and will see it for what it truly is...completely self-serving. Just one more attorney on the defense to dislike immensely. JMO

UNLESS....that "performance" during his first appearance was all a ruse for the benefit of Baez to show him just how important it was to proceed with getting rid of Strickland....

I hope you're right - I hope the defense has smartened up and decided to fight a good, intelligent fast paced fight to defend Casey.

Either way it happens, Casey will still be found guilty and spend the majority of her life behind bars.

I just wish these guys would quit stalling the inevitable and get on with it.

Circuit Court Judge Relieved Of Duties

Posted: 5:01 pm EDT April 18, 2010 Updated: 10:17 pm EDT April 18, 2010
OSCEOLA COUNTY, Fla. -- A Ninth Judicial Circuit Court judge based in Osceola County is off the bench after an order by Chief Judge Belvin Perry.

The administrative order relieved Judge James Turner of his duties on Friday. It’s not clear why the chief judge issued the order.

Last summer, the Judicial Qualifications Commission launched an investigation into Turner for allegedly making his political party affiliation known during his 2008 campaign. An attorney for Turner would not say much about the situation.

"Judge Perry's decision to relieve Judge Turner was not solely a result of this ongoing case," attorney Barry Rigby said.

A statement from Judge Turner said, "I support and understand Judge Perry's decision. I look forward to having these matters resolved as quickly as possible so I can return to the bench. I will face this situation with grace, honesty and courage."

http://www.wftv.com/countybycounty/23188851/detail.html

This is an article I find just now reading the wftv.com 9 website..Hope it was ok to put this here.If not please remove for me and I'm sorry.Just happened to see his name and thought it was about JS..

UNLESS....that "performance" during his first appearance was all a ruse for the benefit of Baez to show him just how important it was to proceed with getting rid of Strickland....

Even more interesting when Baez made the following comment:

Orlando attorney Cheney Mason joined the defense team. “I looked all over for a Perry Mason,” defense attorney Jose Baez said. “The best I could do was a Cheney Mason.” Here’s an interesting wrinkle: Cheney Mason has commented on the case for local TV stations.

Coincidence or does Baez have some psychic thing going on??? (either way, I am sure he is certainly enjoying the irony now!)

PS the Perry Mason quote was just too clever for Baez - c'mon. I'll bet it's the other way around. Ole Cheney must have been hearing these jokes all his life and said to Baez, Sure, I'll be pleased to join y'all - I may not be Perry Mason, but I'm the next best thing. (Shuffling his feet and looking all Southern bashful)

Bingo, Baez has himself a sound bite. When has Baez ever said one thing worth remembering that was clever? Really?

PS: Baez - now you've got yourself a PERRY and a MASON!
Sometimes that great shipping clerk in the sky gives you want you ask for - just not in the package(s) you specifically asked for. Guffaw!

Perry Takes Over Casey Anthony Case

"He's not going to accept any nonsense," Orlando defense attorney Mark NeJame said.

NeJame has practiced law in front of Perry for years.

"(He's) smart, doesn't suffer fools lightly and will not put up with any antics," NeJame said.

Attorney Richard Hornsby said the appointment of Perry could have a dramatic effect on how much money Anthony can hope to get from taxpayers to help funder her defense. The matter has yet to be settled.

"To suddenly have the judge who sets the budget for the entire Ninth Judicial Circuit on your case, he's going to be less likely to authorize fees unless he absolutely thinks they're necessary to defend Casey Anthony," Hornsby said.

NeJame and Hornsby are among six attorneys who spoke to WESH 2 News about the effect of the removal of Strickland will have on the Anthony case. All of them said the appointment of Perry will not help Anthony's defense in their quest to have the death penalty taken off the table.

"I don't think he'll have a problem imposing the death penalty. For him, I don't think it's a moral question. It's just a legal question about whether or not it's appropriate," Hornsby said.

Anthony's defense attorney, Jose Baez, wouldn't comment on the appointment of Perry to preside over the case.

http://www.wesh.com/news/23210094/detail.html

Oh Gee, what a surprise! Baez has no comment about the appointment of Judge Perry to take over Casey's case.

:laughbounce:

Happy now Jose?

Anthony's defense attorney, Jose Baez, wouldn't comment on the appointment of Perry to preside over the case.

Apparently not...:floorlaugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member