New Search Warrants in Holly Bobo case 28 February 2014 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO, LE has done a crappy job with this case for three years. Sadly I see no reason for this new searching, etc. to result in anything that will resolve the case. Of course I hope otherwise...but not holding my breath. JMO

The only way to stop the wrong information being spread is if LE sets the record straight. I have a few examples in this case but will only post one s to not go off topic. Holly's pink purse is missing. Nobody knew until her dad mentioned it years later. I think this would have been a very important detail to release to the public. Why didn't LE release that info? What if someone found a pink purse and just discarded it? What if the purse held some crucial evidence that may have helped rather than hinder the investigation such as DNA?

LE can either embrace the publics help or criticize us for wanting to know too much. IMO many times cases are solved because of the publics help.

Look at the awesome job some of our members are doing identifying and matching the unidentified/missing persons.

I do agree with you that in some instances they should seek the public's help and they have done so. They really use the media often in getting out the word/photo/story that someone is missing or they put composite drawings up of a potential suspect for the public to see.

But what I was referring to is actual evidence they have uncovered during an ongoing investigation. I don't think any evidence they have gathered about anyone should be divulged until after an arrest has been made.

And even when LE does come out and say some things often it doesn't stop the speculation. For example. No one that I am aware of ever heard CB say to the public his sister was 'dragged' into the woods. The police came out and said he did not say that but instead said he saw his sister being 'led' into the woods by a guy in camo. To this day I still see that he said 'dragged' even though LE said point blank he never said that. So sometimes even setting the record straight doesn't work.

IMO

IMO, LE has done a crappy job with this case for three years. Sadly I see no reason for this new searching, etc. to result in anything that will resolve the case. Of course I hope otherwise...but not holding my breath. JMO

As large in scope as the search warrants were in the past few days and in so many locations, it will take the FBI/TBI weeks or months.... to get all the results back on all they have collected..... so I don't expect anything to happen soon anyway.

IMO

Thank you so much for this information FF!

It infuriates me to no end when outsiders believe they have a right to know everything that goes on in an investigation. Why some think this way I have never understood. We all know by now that many times the perp or perps keep up with what is disclosed in the media and on the internet. Why would anyone want the perp to know about what is being discovered in any investigation? I can understand wanting to know more information about the evidence LE has found once an arrest has been made but not before.

The article you posted is spot on imo. Like I mentioned in a prior post Marlene Lamar knew many things behind the scene and even though she spoke out in the media several times she never divulged what she knew. No spokesperson for any family with a missing loved one should ever disclose any information that can impede the investigation. They are there to support the family and talk about the missing victim. That is their only role, imo.

I remember clearly ML was criticized unmercifully and even falsely accused by some who were sure she and her boyfriend had something to do with Sierra's disappearance and murder. Every time she spoke out she was accused of hiding something.......well she was .........she was not divulging what LE was telling her and that is the correct thing to do, imo.

I especially agree with this part of the article you linked.

What is frustrating to law enforcement and to families is that the public feels they have a right to know details of an active investigation. When they don’t get the details they begin to speculate and spread rumors. The internet has provided the perfect platform, as we’ve seen in Holly’s case.

Releasing the wrong information to the public while an investigation is ongoing could drastically hinder the investigation.

It is well known among law enforcement personnel that perpetrators follow information posted on the internet. This can serve to empower them, something people often don’t realize.

In Holly’s case the FBI, the TBI, sheriffs’ departments from numerous counties, state highway patrol, local police departments, and other state, local, and federal agencies are all involved in the investigation.

Investigators are well aware of what information they should release to the public and what information should be held close to the vest. These agencies have the resources to investigate cases such as Holly's, which should allay the fear that law enforcement is wrongly withholding information from the public.

I think all of these things listed are good things to remember. I know I even get antsy for more information before an arrest has even happened but when really I think about it clearly........it shouldn't be released. I sure wouldn't want it to happen if I had a loved one who was missing. Any investigation must remain private or it can terribly hinder the ongoing investigation.

Thanks again.

IMO

oceanblueeyes, TY for the kind words. Yes, from day one all available resources; Local, State, and Federal LEAs were utilized in the Holly Bobo abduction investigation.
All available resources except the most valuable investigative resource; The American public via msm.

I agree, as I am sure most everyone does, that the integrity of the investigation must be protected. With the advent of communications and forensic technology advancements. It is no longer necessary to hold back all info and evidence, as in the past, imo. We are living in a new era where aware citizens/the public are the eyes and ears of law enforcement; analogous to a security camera across the landscape of America. Most missing/murdered persons cases are solved due to dilligent investigations by LE combined with an aware citizen's tip.

In high profile cases such as Holly Bobo's, a Media Management Strategy by the lead agency is imperative, not only for a successful conclusion, but also to prevent speculation, rumors, and keep the community informed. Silence, nor misinfo via msm is considered an effective media management strategy during an abduction investigation.

Although the following sniped article is intended for serial murder investigations. Imo, it highlights the importance of media management in all high profile multi agency investigations...

http://www.fbi.gov/stats-services/publications/serial-murder

IX. Media Issues in Serial Murder Investigations

Often the relationship between law enforcement and the media is not a close one. In some law enforcement agencies, there is a long history of distrust and resentment underpinning this relationship. From the law enforcement perspective, the media publishes unauthorized information from investigations, hypothesizes on investigative progress, and uses talking heads to critique the investigative efforts. From the media’s standpoint, law enforcement withholds too much information and does not communicate adequately with the media. It is counterproductive for law enforcement to sustain contentious relationships with the media, while attempting to develop an overall strategy for a successful serial murder investigation. The only party who benefits from this negative relationship is the serial murderer, who may continue to avoid detection. A respectful, cooperative relationship between law enforcement and the media will serve the missions of both.

It becomes essential for law enforcement personnel involved in a serial murder investigation to design and implement an effective media plan. The plan should provide timely information on a regular basis, without compromising the investigative endeavors. It is essential for media releases to be closely coordinated with investigative strategies. This helps determine the best times to both educate and solicit information from the public concerning certain aspects of the investigation. Once a media plan is established, law enforcement can be more proactive than reactive in its media strategy.

Symposium attendees provided a number of suggestions regarding media issues:
<sniped - read more>

Remember the Tony Calabrese fiasco. :facepalm:

Ok off topic. Someone protect me from the needle I see it coming my way. :doorhide:

As large in scope as the search warrants were in the past few days and in so many locations, it will take the FBI/TBI weeks or months.... to get all the results back on all they have collected..... so I don't expect anything to happen soon anyway.

IMO

Definitely not soon that's for sure. If ever.

oceanblueeyes, TY for the kind words. Yes, from day one all available resources; Local, State, and Federal LEAs were utilized in the Holly Bobo abduction investigation.
All available resources except the most valuable investigative resource; The American public via msm.

I agree, as I am sure most everyone does, that the integrity of the investigation must be protected. With the advent of communications and forensic technology advancements. It is no longer necessary to hold back all info and evidence, as in the past, imo. We are living in a new era where aware citizens/the public are the eyes and ears of law enforcement; analogous to a security camera across the landscape of America. Most missing/murdered persons cases are solved due to an aware citizen's tip.

In high profile cases such as Holly Bobo's, a Media Management Strategy by the lead agency is imperative, not only for a successful conclusion, but also to prevent speculation, rumors, and keep the community informed. Silence, nor misinfo via msm is considered an effective media management strategy during an abduction investigation.

Although the following sniped article is intended for serial murder investigations. Imo, it highlights the importance of media management in all high profile multi agency investigations...

http://www.fbi.gov/stats-services/publications/serial-murder

IX. Media Issues in Serial Murder Investigations

Often the relationship between law enforcement and the media is not a close one. In some law enforcement agencies, there is a long history of distrust and resentment underpinning this relationship. From the law enforcement perspective, the media publishes unauthorized information from investigations, hypothesizes on investigative progress, and uses talking heads to critique the investigative efforts. From the media’s standpoint, law enforcement withholds too much information and does not communicate adequately with the media. It is counterproductive for law enforcement to sustain contentious relationships with the media, while attempting to develop an overall strategy for a successful serial murder investigation. The only party who benefits from this negative relationship is the serial murderer, who may continue to avoid detection. A respectful, cooperative relationship between law enforcement and the media will serve the missions of both.

It becomes essential for law enforcement personnel involved in a serial murder investigation to design and implement an effective media plan. The plan should provide timely information on a regular basis, without compromising the investigative endeavors. It is essential for media releases to be closely coordinated with investigative strategies. This helps determine the best times to both educate and solicit information from the public concerning certain aspects of the investigation. Once a media plan is established, law enforcement can be more proactive than reactive in its media strategy.

Symposium attendees provided a number of suggestions regarding media issues:
<sniped - read more>
just asking here.. where is there evidence that this is a serial murder investigation?

If LE (tbi and fbi) are building a case for Holly Bobo and do not need the help of the public at this time they do not need to tell us what they are doing or why they are doing it. Of course we all want to know what is going on but we have to wait. :twocents: This topic is interesting however and perhaps a thread could be started in the parklinglot about LE investigations and what should be shared.

:seeya:

Well it depends if Le had anything at all on ZA before going in last week...when LE did the huge search at the Moorer's house in SC, they were able to bring murder charges within 48 hours, as they already knew some things and found enough new evidence to make their case. JMO

Jordan Buie &#8207;@JordanBuie 31m

No law enforcement were visible on Adams Lane as of noon today. #HollyBobo

I am SO happy to see that there's new LE activity happening in Holly's case. From the beginning, I never thought that her boyfriend or brother had anything to do with her disappearance and there were no leads for the longest time. This is encouraging.

ITA!

I never suspected her brother or her boyfriend either.

I am glad to see the case take on new searches pointing to what I hope are the real suspects.

I always felt it was a local who had been watching Holly and knew her schedule.

I didn't think they would live too far from where Holly lived either.

I pray this is the big break LE needs to solve this heartbreaking case.

Something huge had to spark a search of this magnitude. It didn't just come out of thin air.

IMO

Well it depends if Le had anything at all on ZA before going in last week...when LE did the huge search at the Moorer's house in SC, they were able to bring murder charges within 48 hours, as they already knew some things and found enough new evidence to make their case. JMO

there were cameras (ccvid) in that case I will find the link

Holly's case was largely rural and here is the case map:
https://www.google.com/maps/ms?msid...&ll=35.754593,-88.241501&spn=0.184722,0.31414

I do agree that I see the same trend that LE is trying to build a no-body case same as that of Heather Elvis.. it is just taking more time with Holly's case due to the terrain? .:twocents:

I believe too often that LE is too focused on witholding information in order to obtain an arrest/conviction. While this is very important, I see that, as a parent my focus would be to get my child back ALIVE. Obviously, all too often LE 's current methodology does not work,they hold onto information that just maybe if released to the public would bring about a positive outcome. If I had a missing child I would do anything to protect my childs life, forget about an arrest or conviction, do everything to get them back before they are murdered and deal with the lack of evidence later.

With Holly ,LE should have stated early on if her pink purse were missing, whether the shredded pink shirt that her brother found in the mailbox belonged to Holly.

For an instant, can you just IMAGINE what the parents of missing children go through second by second. The unimaginable pain that they feel not knowing if their missing children are dead or alive or being brutally tortured day by day.

The current process for finding the missing is not working or more missing people would be found. It is time for LE to change their approach in finding the missing.

just asking here.. where is there evidence that this is a serial murder investigation?

If LE (tbi and fbi) are building a case for Holly Bobo and do not need the help of the public at this time they do not need to tell us what they are doing or why they are doing it. Of course we all want to know what is going on but we have to wait. :twocents: This topic is interesting however and perhaps a thread could be started in the parklinglot about LE investigations and what should be shared.

:seeya:

RE: where is there evidence that this is a serial murder investigation?

nursebeeme, there is non. My comment wasn't intended to imply that there is. My comment was to stress the importantance of an effective media management strategy in high profile cases;

(sniped from comment)

I don't care if LE tells the public the information they have...I just want them to tell ME. I am trustworthy, no?

I feel ya, Shef.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Are we sure these search warrants relate to Holly's disappearance and not his drug issues?

Someone slap me. I'm skeptical now. Maybe he had a meth lab going.

I,am so wondering the same thing, I'm hopeful....but. His mugshot freaked me out! I kept staring because, well he looks insane, and scary and I hope he wasn't the last face she saw. I'm hopeful they r getting close but I guess the uproars over t his guy has my hackles up along with the hair on my neck!!:scared:

I couldn't find today's thread and got redirected ten times lol.

Yes they are related to the Bobo case

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2014/mar/01/search-warrants-executed-in-holly-bobo-abduction/

"Tennessee Bureau of Investigation agents executed search warrants in "various locations" Friday in connection with the 2011 disappearance of Decatur County, Tenn., nursing student Holly Bobo. At least one of them was just miles from her home.

TBI spokeswoman Illana Tate said in an email that she could not give addresses of the search locations and added, "to say we have a suspect in this case would be premature."

Thank you so much for this information FF!

It infuriates me to no end when outsiders believe they have a right to know everything that goes on in an investigation. Why some think this way I have never understood. We all know by now that many times the perp or perps keep up with what is disclosed in the media and on the internet. Why would anyone want the perp to know about what is being discovered in any investigation? I can understand wanting to know more information about the evidence LE has found once an arrest has been made but not before.

The article you posted is spot on imo. Like I mentioned in a prior post Marlene Lamar knew many things behind the scene and even though she spoke out in the media several times she never divulged what she knew. No spokesperson for any family with a missing loved one should ever disclose any information that can impede the investigation. They are there to support the family and talk about the missing victim. That is their only role, imo.

I remember clearly ML was criticized unmercifully and even falsely accused by some who were sure she and her boyfriend had something to do with Sierra's disappearance and murder. Every time she spoke out she was accused of hiding something.......well she was .........she was not divulging what LE was telling her and that is the correct thing to do, imo.

I especially agree with this part of the article you linked.

What is frustrating to law enforcement and to families is that the public feels they have a right to know details of an active investigation. When they don&#8217;t get the details they begin to speculate and spread rumors. The internet has provided the perfect platform, as we&#8217;ve seen in Holly&#8217;s case.

Releasing the wrong information to the public while an investigation is ongoing could drastically hinder the investigation.

It is well known among law enforcement personnel that perpetrators follow information posted on the internet. This can serve to empower them, something people often don&#8217;t realize.

In Holly&#8217;s case the FBI, the TBI, sheriffs&#8217; departments from numerous counties, state highway patrol, local police departments, and other state, local, and federal agencies are all involved in the investigation.

Investigators are well aware of what information they should release to the public and what information should be held close to the vest. These agencies have the resources to investigate cases such as Holly's, which should allay the fear that law enforcement is wrongly withholding information from the public.

I think all of these things listed are good things to remember. I know I even get antsy for more information before an arrest has even happened but when really I think about it clearly........it shouldn't be released. I sure wouldn't want it to happen if I had a loved one who was missing. Any investigation must remain private or it can terribly hinder the ongoing investigation.

Thanks again.

IMO

Thank you very much for this, OBE. Of course I always want as much info as possible. But I am not an expert and it baffles me how many people feel they know better than trained professionals and are entitled to information obtained by investigators - that that is the only way the case will be solved.

Huh?

It would be different, perhaps, if it was clear that LE were not doing their job. For example, in the Elizabeth Smart case, they weren't. It was only when the family released the sketch and info on the perp her sister saw that the case was solved.

But in such cases there is generally criticism from the family. Do we have that here?

The only way to stop the wrong information being spread is if LE sets the record straight. I have a few examples in this case but will only post one s to not go off topic. Holly's pink purse is missing. Nobody knew until her dad mentioned it years later. I think this would have been a very important detail to release to the public. Why didn't LE release that info? What if someone found a pink purse and just discarded it? What if the purse held some crucial evidence that may have helped rather than hinder the investigation such as DNA?

LE can either embrace the publics help or criticize us for wanting to know too much. IMO many times cases are solved because of the publics help.

Look at the awesome job some of our members are doing identifying and matching the unidentified/missing persons.

Wrong information floating around doesn't necessarily impact the case. Accurate information can, though and sometimes negatively.

Take the pink purse info., for example. What if away someone already found the purse close to a suspect's home and LE didn't want the suspect to know they were honing in as a result? What if a suspect hears they are looking for that purse and throws it away instead of keeping it as a trophy, evidence that would've been pivotal if found in a search warrant?

There are many scenarios I can think of for not releasing evidence. I know in my business I try to hold my cards close to the vest as long as I can. You just know that's got to be even more important in LE's business.

Do you have examples of how they have done a bad job? Has the family complained? Have they given out incorrect info.? Have they failed to do basic things?

I always look at criticism by the family as the key indicator that LE is doing a crummy job, for example.

I have not followed this case closely so admittedly, I don;t know what's happened and what's been done or not done.

On that note, for those of us who don't have time to read through 17 pages, is there a synopsis someone can give us? Any connection thus far between this guy arrested and Holly Bobo?

And what's the scoop on who he was involved with? The victim of his violence? Did someone say she was on his visitors list?

I saw he seemed to match, pretty closely, a sketch some guy released related to an attempted kidnapping. Any info on that?

Does he have a history of assault? Stalking? Violence? Where does he live? How close is it to where Holly disappeared?

TIA for any info!!!!!

I don't care if LE tells the public the information they have...I just want them to tell ME. I am trustworthy, no?

Well, yeah, you are. I guess they can tell you, Shef!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea Briann