NV NV - Steven T. Koecher, 30, Henderson, 13 Dec 2009 - #18

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wasn't expecting an ID or anything, but wondering if any additional remains were found. It could easily be what you say, but that's why it seemed so odd to me that they called the dive team out. It seems a bit extreme under the circumstances.

They probably don't get much practice in the desert; plus, they probably didn't know what they were dealing with.

I hate being left hanging. Like the woman's body found in Cle Elumn WA, or the one in Wyoming.

Really.
But it's going to be a real toughie, because THIS REPORT describes it as " the upper portion of a jawbone" .... which I'd guess means it's "old bones".

Hey guys, it's been a while since I've written, but I'm always lurking :)

Anyway, just wanted to say that I read this to mean not "old bones" but that they're talking about maxilla rather than mandible. Either way, it's probably going to be awhile before we have an ID.

I wasn't expecting an ID or anything, but wondering if any additional remains were found. It could easily be what you say, but that's why it seemed so odd to me that they called the dive team out. It seems a bit extreme under the circumstances.

If the bone was found in the water, who else would be able to look for the rest of the remains, if there are any?

Hey guys, it's been a while since I've written, but I'm always lurking :)

Anyway, just wanted to say that I read this to mean not "old bones" but that they're talking about maxilla rather than mandible. Either way, it's probably going to be awhile before we have an ID.

Hellooooo!

I worded that strangely, didn't I?

What I should have said: "It sounds like old bones, because the upper jaw (maxilla) wasn't intact."

That's probably not sounding right, either....but maybe better.

This article says they find human remains 2 - 3 times a year in Lake Mead. I have never heard of them sending out the dive team based on the finding of one, relatively small bone. It's particularly odd to me if it's likely this bone wound up there as laytonian suggested.

http://www.lvrj.com/news/police-investigate-human-jawbone-found-at-lake-mead-106775408.html

There's an interesting article on Archaeology.org that talks about how previous Lake Mead searches were conducted.

It seems that the National Park Service has a Submerged Resources Center (SRC) that investigates sinkings, drownings and crimes.

I hadn't heard of it either; not, about the B-29 that had crashed into the lake.

There's an interesting article on Archaeology.org that talks about how previous Lake Mead searches were conducted.

It seems that the National Park Service has a Submerged Resources Center (SRC) that investigates sinkings, drownings and crimes.

I hadn't heard of it either; not, about the B-29 that had crashed into the lake.

Interesting, but it was the LVMPD dive team that went out on Friday.

I doubt this is Steven and I don't want to dwell on it. I just found it interesting that Metro sent their dive team in.

I doubt this is Steven and I don't want to dwell on it. I just found it interesting that Metro sent their dive team in.

Hm, that is interesting. Especially since it said the bone was on the Arizona side.

I notice that nothing says whether they found anything later, or whether they found something besides the bone.

Yeah, probably not Steven. The other one, with the burning car, sounds more likely and is much closer to where he was last seen.

Maybe the other team wasn't nearby?

They probably have a jurisdictional agreement; LVMPD's the closest large police department. Kingman, AZ wouldn't have much use for a dive team ;)

Maybe the other team wasn't nearby?

They probably have a jurisdictional agreement; LVMPD's the closest large police department. Kingman, AZ wouldn't have much use for a dive team ;)

It doesn't strike me odd that the Kingman dive team, if there is one, didn't respond. It does strike me odd that the Lake Mead Recreation dive team didn't. Normally something on Federal land is investigated by Federal people. Yeah, they might have a jurisdictional agreement, but...

I dunno. Realistically speaking, it'll probably turn out to be an old burial or something, but it feels a bit hinky.

The below case has had me thinking about Steven.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119108&page=5

Maybe someone should get over not being able to bring themselves to dig through his stuff, open their eyes to all possibilities, they might actually find out what happened to him.

ETA: http://www.wishtv.com/dpp/news/local/hamilton_county/family-searches-for-missing-carmel-grad

(snip)
Derek Compton checked his bother’s e-mail and learned he met someone online.
“At that point, relief, because before that we didn’t know what had happened, where he’d went. At least we had our next step,” he said.

The below case has had me thinking about Steven.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119108&page=5

Maybe someone should get over not being able to bring themselves to dig through his stuff, open their eyes to all possibilities, they might actually find out what happened to him.

ETA: http://www.wishtv.com/dpp/news/local/hamilton_county/family-searches-for-missing-carmel-grad

(snip)
Derek Compton checked his bother’s e-mail and learned he met someone online.
“At that point, relief, because before that we didn’t know what had happened, where he’d went. At least we had our next step,” he said.
I was thinking the same thing ((((Q)))... I have been following Andrew's case and it immediately gave me vibes on THIS case!

glad you said it nurse. what a difference honest disclosure made in the search for Andrew versus the search for Steven.

I said from the outset there had to be something on Steven's hard drive but those in the know just denied anything was there.

glad you said it nurse. what a difference honest disclosure made in the search for Andrew versus the search for Steven.

I said from the outset there had to be something on Steven's hard drive but those in the know just denied anything was there.

IF this is the case, there may be an effort to protect Steven, which I can understand.

OTOH, if Steven fell victim to someone like the that killed Andrew, SOMEONE needs to speak up. It's likely only a matter of time until there is another victim. I sure wouldn't want that on my head.

IF this is the case, there may be an effort to protect Steven, which I can understand.

OTOH, if Steven fell victim to someone like the that killed Andrew, SOMEONE needs to speak up. It's likely only a matter of time until there is another victim. I sure wouldn't want that on my head.

it boils down to whose interests are being served. if there was info on the laptop, like I always believed, it certainly does not help Steven to keep it secret. if info is there, keeping it private only serves the interests of preserving the perceived reputation of the family.

Fox 5 Vegas is reporting a man's body was found on the side of the road, near Eastern Ave and Pecos Ridge Parkway.

The location is about 3.5 miles north of where SK's car was left. MAP.

If you click on satellite view, you'll see that this corner is surrounded by undeveloped (vacant) land.

The one thing that dissuades me from thinking this could be SK, is that the man is described as "in his 20s".

SK's laptop was pulled in a search warrant and investigated by LE.

One Las Vegas journalist had access to his online email account (the only known account), and looked all through it. Saw nothing suspicious or that would lead to anyone.

I think, if SK was communicating with anyone via computer, it would have been through the Washington County Library System -- and I HIGHLY doubt that his usage there was checked. (It should have been available, because one has to log in to their computers with their library card's account number -- which would automatically tag his history.)

He didn't have an internet connection at the house.

Fox 5 Vegas is reporting a man's body was found on the side of the road, near Eastern Ave and Pecos Ridge Parkway.

The location is about 3.5 miles north of where SK's car was left. MAP.

If you click on satellite view, you'll see that this corner is surrounded by undeveloped (vacant) land.

The one thing that dissuades me from thinking this could be SK, is that the man is described as "in his 20s".

Yes, but sk looks pretty young. Hoping its not, but its someones son. So sad.

Andrew's been killed, for sure?

it boils down to whose interests are being served. if there was info on the laptop, like I always believed, it certainly does not help Steven to keep it secret. if info is there, keeping it private only serves the interests of preserving the perceived reputation of the family.

It may not have been on his hard drive, but somewhere else it may have been overlooked.

It doesn't help anyone to keep secrets. Obviously.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChasF419