Melissa Huckaby pleads guilty to killing Sandra

Then other family members addressed the court:

"I don't think she thought about her daughter, who will now have to grow up without a mother," Connie Cantu - Sandra's grandmother. (About Melissa's own daughter)

"You took the life of a little girl. She's not even old enough to decide to eat ice cream yet," Danny Cantu, Sandra's father.

"Each time I'm in this courtroom, I place yourself on your side," Judy (Melissa's mom).

"From mother to mother, I am so sorry," Judy Lawless.

"I want you to know she did not suffer and that I did not sexually molest her at all," Melissa Huckaby.

"I can't imagine forgiving someone who harmed my own daughter," Melissa Huckaby.

http://www.news10.net/news/story.aspx?storyid=83543&catid=2

Huckaby sentenced to life without parole; apologizes to Sandra Cantu's family

"STOCKTON, CA - Melissa Huckaby, facing sentencing Monday for the kidnap and murder of 8-year-old Sandra Cantu, expressed remorse as she was sentenced to life in prison without parole. Speaking from the courtroom, Huckaby said, "I should not haven (sic) her from you.""

Probably should be "I should not have taken her from you."

The gag order has been lifted per the article above

At the morning hearing, Judge Linda Loftus lifted a gag order that, since 2009, had prevented anyone involved with the case from discussing it. Another hearing, scheduled for 1:30 p.m. today, will decide whether court records in the case will be unsealed.

Sandra’s family has opposed unsealing the court records, and several media outlets, including The Stockton Record, have pushed for the records to be unsealed.

A press conference is scheduled for one hour after the hearing, and police, lawyers and Sandra’s family will gather on the seventh floor of the Stockton Courthouse in Department 34.

For updates, visit back at www.tracypress.com.

I think they mean a press conference after the afternoon hearing.

Unbelievable! Talk about adding insult to injury,(she didn't suffer???? I didn't molest her at all???) Just what did she do to her then? WHY did she do what she did? Murdering a scared little girl doesn't cause her to suffer? Everyone in the Cantu family has suffered at the hands of Melissa Huckaby! I don't think I could have sat there and listened to anything out of her mouth without ending up in jail myself!

I'm sorry.... I just don't understand how a woman with a little girl of her own could do what she did! I see Sandra's sweet face and my heart breaks.

For some reason I still feel like there is someone else involved with this crime, I do not know why but I do and Melissa is protecting them......

Life without parole is to good for her, firing squad would suffice

Wow, I just saw some of the footage from inside the courtroom today. Melissa has gained a humongus amount of weight. She is barely recognizable.

So sad. Prayers for Sandra's family today.

Testa said a piece of torn cloth had been tied around Cantu's head. Quoting from a pathologist's report, Testa said the cloth was soiled with blood and knotted into "a noose." He said the cause of death was determined to be "homicidal asphyxiation."

According to the pathologist's report, Cantu also suffered a cut to her lip, an abrasion to her elbow and injuries to her genitals.

Testa said toxicology tests also found the drug alprazolam, which is used to treat anxiety disorders, in Cantu's body. Bottles of alprazolam were found in Huckaby's home and purse, Testa said.

Why are we so nice to our prisoners? Got depression, anxiety......ahhh, we will give you some meds ................urghhhhh........our system is TO nice to murderers!!!!
Sorry to rant but our taxes pay to keep these evil people in delux prisons.
Does the average person in USA have air conditioning, a gym, 3 meals a day plus snacks and free medical care????

I have mixed feeling about everything being unsealed, I dont really want to know the horrible details and I do not wish for the family to have to be exposed to it all through the media.....

"The prosecutor said another surveillance tape showed Huckaby driving away from the church and then returning to the church 30 minutes later. Testa said during that 30-minute window, a retired marine and his wife saw Huckaby and her SUV at an irrigation pond at Bacchetti and Whitehall roads in Tracy.

When she was questioned by police, Huckaby said she stopped at the pond in order to urinate.

The day after Cantu's disappearance, Huckaby alerted authorities to a handwritten note she claimed she found in the trailer park. The note read: "Cantu locked in stolin (sic) suitcase. Thrown in water on (sic) Bacchetti Road and Whitehall Road. Witness"

Testa said the handwriting, while disguised, was similar to Huckaby's writing.

After a farmworker discovered the suitcase in the irrigation ditch and Cantu's body inside, Tracy police and FBI agents searched the Clover Road Baptist Church.

Testa said investigators found a rolling pin with a bent handle, which was later tested and contained Cantu's DNA. Cantu's family and members of the church said the child had never been inside the sanctuary.

Another piece of evidence was the cord used on the window blinds at the church. Testa said an FBI expert concluded the cord used to shut the suitcase was consistent with the cord found in the church."

I feel like I do need to know.....if she didnt molest her then WHY did she kill her...it doesnt add up in my mind, and I want to know her motive for killing Sandra.

Huckaby is cring for her sorry self not for killing Sandra, JMOO

Wow, I just saw some of the footage from inside the courtroom today. Melissa has gained a humongus amount of weight. She is barely recognizable.

Looks like the hearing was taped....wonder where it is? I saw part of it on CNN with Melissa apologizing to her daughter....gag.

I feel like I do need to know.....if she didnt molest her then WHY did she kill her...it doesnt add up in my mind, and I want to know her motive for killing Sandra.
I am with you. For purely selfish reasons, I really want to know all there is to know. This is not a run of the mill homicide. It has been very unusual right from the very beginning. Melissa, the little we do know about her is very unusual, the arson attempts, the poisoning attempts. Not to mention her own daughter suffering from chronic "ill health".
I feel badly for the Cantu family, but I think the facts need to be revealed.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back