GUILTY MO - Hailey Owens, 10, Springfield, 18 Feb 2014 #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Prosecutor handed out "probable cause" statement at news conference. Is that public accessible?

Stopped reading at page 30 to do this, so apologies if someone has already done one. Here's a rough timeline that I've been able to pull together from the news conferences (and articles, where they agree):

••TIMELINE••

TUESDAY

4:48 PM Hailey abducted from 3200 blk W. Lombard

A couple witnesses give chase on foot (including Carlos Edwards) and one witness chases by car (Ricky Riggins). Multiple 911 calls are made. Carlos calls Hailey’s mother also to report the kidnapping.

5:00-5:10 PM LE arrive and get descriptions.

6:00 PM LE puts out info on local and social media; also to MO Hwy Patrol.

LE track the driver’s license number to truck’s owner (Jim Woods, the suspect’s father), and learn CMW has borrowed the truck. They go to CMW’s home. Finding no one at home, they stake it out.

7:00 PM Ambert Alert is put out via protocol by the MO Hwy Patrol.

8:30 PM LE are still watching the home when CMW drives up.

LE confront CMW in the driveway, and he “agrees” to go to the station for questioning. Once there, he refuses to talk, asking for an attorney.

11:30 PM CMW is arrested and booked in to Greene County Jail.

Anywhere from 30-100 LE (including FBI) continue to search for Hailey. About 30 Springfield LE search around CMW’s residence and find evidence of foul play, prompting them to seek a search warrant for the home.

WEDNESDAY

2:15 AM (per 6:30 AM presser/news story) The search warrant is “obtained” for the home (though at this point in time they are not sure if she/her body is in there.)

2:40-2:50 AM - a body is discovered in the home

“Early Morning” – a Mobile Crime Unit is parked outside the home, and family is notified that “a body” has been found, though not confirmed to be female or Hailey’s.

3:00 AM – 10:30 AM The Dutch Maid Laundromat is searched by FBI and other LE

6:30 AM – 1st News Conference (with no confirmation a body has been found)

8:30 AM (per 2nd presser) – Search warrant “executed” for home (???)

9:00 AM The light gold/tan Ranger with tags 1YF 454 is towed away

10:30 AM Evidence gathering at Laundromat is complete and it’s open for business

10:45 AM LE confirms a “young female body” has been found inside the home

11:00 AM 2nd News Conference: Chief Paul Williams confirms LE has found inside the home the body of a young female they think is probably Hailey, but the identity and cause of death will remain unconfirmed until after autopsy

ETA: Ah, Knox, I see you did one of these, too! :)

Thank you for this time line!

There is another case there in Springfield from January with child *advertiser censored*, internet child *advertiser censored*, etc. I wonder if they know each other. I've heard they have their own network kind of thing. I bet when they open his computer from his house it'll lead them to other pedophiles.

http://www.ozarksfirst.com/story/sp...iser censored*/d/story/gKlfu3mZSkibNp2OfSkHIQ

Maybe I am wrong, but I feel like whenever I hear about children who are abducted and murdered by strangers, they are normally killed by strangulation or similar...it seems more rare for a gun to be the method of murder in these types of cases.

A younger cousin and I walked 2 miles to a grocery store (we lived in the country) while my aunt and uncle came to visit for a week in the summer.
She and I would take our own "shortcut" through several backyards , and before that ----- we walked along a divided highway.
We were given some change (this was back in the very old days of the 70's) from my mom and allowed to buy candy. My mom would say, "Have fun, girls. Lunch is at noon, don't forget ."
Hard to believe --As protective as my parents have been , (back then) ,they never thought this was dangerous !
Of course we kids thought it was great fun.
My mom says now she'd never let a kid walk around like that, but back then she says she thought it was a safer time.

I think things happened "back then", too. I just think we were lucky.

There is something wrong in this nation with our justice system. Criminals aren't afraid anymore.
My friend says we have the best justice system in the world.
Maybe she's right; but I'm getting the feeling that perps like the monster who ended Hailey's life is not afraid of prison or anything else.

Something has to change . If there is a vote for stiffer punishment , I'm all for it.

You don't say how old you were when you walked to the store, but if you were older than about 7, that's really not dangerous. Of course, kids younger than that don't have enough navigation skills and ability to cross intersections safely so obviously they shouldn't be walking a few blocks to a convenience store.

Being hit by a car would be the greatest danger you could expect to reasonably face, or having an older kid steal your money.

What happened to this dear girl is SO VERY RARE. I hate it that we don't allow our children reasonable freedom. That child walking a few blocks isn't statistically dangerous. We've jus become so very focused on the minute number of times some evil monster shows up.

Charges in girl's death could bring death penalty; witnesses tried to keep her from being abducted

Authorities said Owens, 10, who was abducted yesterday, was found dead in the basement of Wood’s home, in plastic bags, smelling of bleach.

I hate to assume it but what other reason would he have for using bleach on her body. :(
Sick ....I hope LE takes a really good look into his past because he is way to old for this to be his first offense against a child IMO

he RAN after the car!!! His wife got the lp # and called 911.. for all we know he did yell.

If this guy was that daring to grab a child in broad daylight, does anyone seriously think he would have been deterred by someone yelling and running after him?? Please. By the time the yell left their throat, he was speeding off.

A lesson that keeps coming to mind, and I taught my kids this, is to back off and run the very moment you suspect something is amiss. Kids who do manage to escape being kidnapped after being grabbed admit they knew something was creepy about the abductor, and felt the urge to run, but didn't want to be rude or look silly. The MOMENT you feel concern, RUN and scream, and don't be afraid of being considered disrespectful to adults or acting like a ninny.

And, now it begins.....his defense. HIS life story, HIS struggles, HIS excuses. He should have stopped wasting oxygen as soon as her tiny body was found. Instead....the coddling will now commence with making sure every little need of his, medically and "rights" related are met. :sick:

Charges in girl's death could bring death penalty; witnesses tried to keep her from being abducted

Authorities said Owens, 10, who was abducted yesterday, was found dead in the basement of Wood’s home, in plastic bags, smelling of bleach.

I hate to assume it but what other reason would he have for using bleach on her body. :(

I hope I am wrong in thinking more charges will be added after the autopsy is done. If anyone finds a link to make donations to Hailey's memorial fund online could you post them please. Her family shouldn't have to worry about paying for a funeral.

If this guy was that daring to grab a child in broad daylight, does anyone seriously think he would have been deterred by someone yelling and running after him?? Please. By the time the yell left their throat, he was speeding off.

What's the penalty for grabbing a child, and then thinking better of it and kicking the child out of the car and driving off? I don't know, is why I ask.

I would think once he realized he was surely seen, and there was an excellent chance his license plate was recorded, he'd back out of it. Just only for self-preservation.

You don't say how old you were when you walked to the store, but if you were older than about 7, that's really not dangerous. Of course, kids younger than that don't have enough navigation skills and ability to cross intersections safely so obviously they shouldn't be walking a few blocks to a convenience store.

Being hit by a car would be the greatest danger you could expect to reasonably face, or having an older kid steal your money.

What happened to this dear girl is SO VERY RARE. I hate it that we don't allow our children reasonable freedom. That child walking a few blocks isn't statistically dangerous. We've jus become so very focused on the minute number of times some evil monster shows up.

Agreed. Heck, we go on a website that focuses on true crime, and how often do we hear about a case like this, where a stranger abducts and murders a child? Not even once a month. What was the last similar case to this?

How many children do you (general) know personally who were abducted and murdered? Or are one degree of separation from? For most people, the answer to those questions is NONE.

I read a comment on some website that says parents are terrified of their children being abducted, but as soon as they turn 18, it's "Have fun on Spring Break in Panama City Beach!"

Just heard about this case in the news, and am reading prior pages, all I can say is lions and tigers in the zoos are hungry. I know the ones in Denmark like giraffe, maybe others like humans. Solves two problems.

When will the killings stop? When will innocent children be able to live as innocent children?? Why can't kids be free to play without fear of abductions, rape, and murders? Wonder how many people will see things that 'weren't right' but not enough to raise the red flags all the way? Why must innocent children be sacrificed to please some deranged want? When will we have test to determine this monsters before they commit their first crime? Why are some without a conscious? Without a heart?

People years ago thought I was nuts because I was outside whenever my kids were. Though I wasn't raised that way, and was often gone from breakfast until supper time. Sometimes at a friend's house for lunch, and sometimes we packed a lunch and trekked in the woods, playing in the creeks, etc. Gone are the carefree days. Gone are the days of knowing your neighbors and family, and everyone looking out for the kids safety.

I think things happened "back then", too. I just think we were lucky.

I agree. I grew up in the 60's and was allowed to go all over the place too. I did get the talk about perverts before I started walking to school. We would walk a mile to school when I was six and my sister was eight. My sister was sent on store errands alone when she was six.

But in about 1968 or so, a man tried to grab a classmate off her porch in my neighborhood. It didn't make the news. She told me about it later. It did happen, but people's awareness wasn't raised about it or something.

A lesson that keeps coming to mind, and I taught my kids this, is to back off and run the very moment you suspect something is amiss. Kids who do manage to escape being kidnapped after being grabbed admit they knew something was creepy about the abductor, and felt the urge to run, but didn't want to be rude or look silly. The MOMENT you feel concern, RUN and scream, and don't be afraid of being considered disrespectful to adults or acting like a ninny.

Why? If this is "so very rare" as stated. Why would kids need these instructions?

My sons are grown men, now. This stranger danger, password, run scream has been going on since they were little. Not just strangers pulling up in cars. The Adam Walsh abduction/murder taught us an entire new fear. Telling people to chill and not be vigilant because of the "rarity" of these incidents....well...to each his own. Whatever.

I was going by this article posted a couple of pages ago, which shows he had convictions that should have shown up, plus his own statements that he worried about his drinking. Yes, he had no convictions recently, but this would have kept him away from children in our area. I realize that may not be the case elsewhere.

A 1990 conviction for simple possession is no enough to disqualify someone from working in a school environment. The background check would ONLY reveal the stolen turkey and simple possession charges, both from over a decade ago.

Oh no...because of time difference when I went to bed last night, she hadn't been found........poor sweetheart....RIP darling...

I am absolutely furious!!!!! Your legal system in the US is more stricter than ours here in Australia...thank goodness, but not much so.......and your punishments in jails harsher...

You have the RSO, which civil libertarians here have blocked.

Our legal system is a joke and there is a hell of an uproar here about its leniency and its because in the past civil libertarian groups have been able to block harsher penalties and longer sentences being brought in.

Hence we have had the likes of Jill Meagher, killed after her killer was on parole....he had been charged up to 50 times before and was a free man!!!! and that is only one case, there are numerous examples of this *advertiser censored* going on here.... I live in a city which has a major juvenile crime problem, mainly stolen cars and break and enters, some of them are up to their 100th crime, but are not locked up because the bleeding hearts have said they "have had a hard life, and it doesn't help locking them up".....

It is slowly starting to change now as the public gets more and more outraged and a lot of people think we should follow a couple of the systems in some of your states...I agree.

HOWEVER I don't think any western country is strict enough on paedolphiles. They need to be put away for good away from society...........they can not be rehabilitated no matter what the do gooders say, they may stop.....but the craving is always there. If not put away, then castrated.

The cycles need to be broken. They are causing so much heartache , grief and tragedy in this world........

Back again to my city.....population 200 000. Yesterday in our paper, the main headline was about a paedophile being released back into the community after abusing 3 boys.....He was let out originally and within 12 days had abused again......he was found with thousands of photos, most of kids of his friends...............he got a 12 year sentence.............served 5!!!! Absolutely freaking pathetic...........thanks bleeding hearts, he is now in the suburb I live in with my two sons........

There needs to be public uproar all over the world!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa